[Mod] Tectonic Map Generator 0.3.2 [mg_tectonic]

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

Re: [Mod] Tectonic Map Generator [mg_tectonic]

by Dokimi » Post

texmex wrote:I’ve been contemplating building a game around this mapgen many times, it could be a lot of fun. What stops me is that I also want biome heat to influence the player and with the mix of hot and cold nodes and schematics that seems hard to do. Am I correct in assuming this?
Things have been rearranged in 0.2... maybe less of an issue than before? But yes I have used "rainforest litter" as the "forest litter" for all forest types (hot and cold).

Thorn0906 done something to make climate more accessible for other mods. Honestly not sure how that works, but it seems to work well with Weather mods now (I think it had issues before? Maybe I'm imagining things!).

You could perhaps use the "function climate(x, z, y, n_terr, n_terr2)" (in the init file, near the top). This is where climate is calculated.

Dokimi

Re: [Mod] Tectonic Map Generator [mg_tectonic]

by Dokimi » Post

A few comments have gone missing here after forum crash:

...Main point though... 0.2 is very close to release!!! (I think I've dealt with the worst of the bugs... this map is very hard to test though... so big!)

Only one thing is really stopping me from releasing 0.2 at the moment: a bug with the new kelp blocks.

The kelp is there... but the kelp is not there!
(In contrast the new rooted corals work fine)

Anyone know what could be causing this??
Attachments
mgt_kelpbug.png
mgt_kelpbug.png (640.45 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

Dokimi

Re: [Mod] Tectonic Map Generator 0.2 [mg_tectonic]

by Dokimi » Post

Okay then....

I've got sick of bug fixing, and 0.2 is well overdue for release, so here it is!

0.2 Update
This should (ha ha ha!) be 100% playable. While far from perfect I've fixed or disabled anything that was game-breakingly buggy (e.g. I've disabled kelp due to above bug).

Main stuff in this update:
- improvements mostly thanks to Thorn0906 e.g. random start point, lakes etc
- Minetest 5.0 content
- Big changes to aesthetics/landscape shape (e.g. huge >1000m high mountains).

I may, or may not, do more on mg_tectonic. Honestly I'd rather experiment with something new than keep perfecting this. So, if anyone wants to try putting mg_tectonic in to C++ etc, then go ahead. It's all yours.
Attachments
mgt_ss4.jpg
mgt_ss4.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

my new darling, I hope someday it will be shipped with minetest;)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Walker wrote:my new darling, I hope someday it will be shipped with minetest;)

Thank you. I'm not sure what it would take to get it to that standard, and it does operate radically different from default maps (e.g. it has no biomes). I guess we'll have to see if any of the developers think that would be feasible... I'm at my limits with it, I've only really been making aesthetic improvements.

~~
Some maps I thought people might find interesting:

South West Coasts/lowlands (climate cold and wet)

South East highlands (with three rivers) (climate: cold and dry)

The map would still benefit from more plant species and surface blocks (default doesn't have enough to cover every combination I would like), yet even so the map now has a decent amount of local variety. e.g. three different habitat types within one climate zone.
Attachments
MG_Tectonic_map2.jpg
MG_Tectonic_map2.jpg (415.65 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
MG_Tectonic_map1.jpg
MG_Tectonic_map1.jpg (590.54 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

I'm working on a server but I'm noticing that when you die it always spawns me at a y value of about 1800, even though the ground is at around 280, and it's really annoying. Can somebody help me out here?
I test mines.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I also got that bug, it spawns you at y = 2400. Another thing, I found a mountain with a height of y = 980, which I really don't like, as it was right over the center of the map (Exact coordinates: 36,985,45). Other than that, amazing mod! I absolutely love the rivers idea, adds more realism and less fantasy to MT.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:... when you die it always spawns me at a y value of about 1800, even though the ground is at around 280, and it's really annoying. Can somebody help me out here?
CalebJ wrote:I also got that bug, it spawns you at y = 2400. ....
The player start is really hacky! (it was the least bad solution, of many bad solutions)

How it should work:
1. It spawns you higher then the highest mountain.
2. It searches for solid ground underneath
3. No ground? Move lower and start again.
4. Found ground? Save the location and use that for respawn.

It should only do this once!

Respawn should be at the saved location. If respawn starts you in the sky then something broke!

The fix:
worlds>"your_world_name">mod_storage>mg_tectonic

You'll find something like this:

Code: Select all

{"Lake0river":"3","Lake0x":"-6730","Lake0z":"8282","Lake10river":"3","Lake10x":"-8631","Lake10z":"-2855","Lake11river":"1","Lake11x":"3100","Lake11z":"-9339","Lake12river":"3","Lake12x":"2124","Lake12z":"10238","Lake13river":"4","Lake13x":"5034","Lake13z":"-2780","Lake14river":"0","Lake14x":"-1407","Lake14z":"1497","Lake15river":"1","Lake15x":"624","Lake15z":"-9266","Lake16river":"1","Lake16x":"135","Lake16z":"-8865","Lake17river":"2","Lake17x":"4864","Lake17z":"6541","Lake18river":"3","Lake18x":"8123","Lake18z":"-11341","Lake19river":"5","Lake19x":"2791","Lake19z":"2246","Lake1river":"3","Lake1x":"-1607","Lake1z":"-1687","Lake20river":"1","Lake20x":"-6851","Lake20z":"3701","Lake21river":"5","Lake21x":"-232","Lake21z":"-2807","Lake22river":"1","Lake22x":"2369","Lake22z":"4274","Lake23river":"3","Lake23x":"-2349","Lake23z":"4224","Lake24river":"3","Lake24x":"-9825","Lake24z":"-3459","Lake25river":"1","Lake25x":"8757","Lake25z":"-6820","Lake26river":"4","Lake26x":"-6979","Lake26z":"7284","Lake2river":"4","Lake2x":"2815","Lake2z":"-11986","Lake3river":"0","Lake3x":"-9337","Lake3z":"-3700","Lake4river":"2","Lake4x":"-9515","Lake4z":"7056","Lake5river":"3","Lake5x":"4252","Lake5z":"10919","Lake6river":"4","Lake6x":"-3816","Lake6z":"-2419","Lake7river":"1","Lake7x":"-8295","Lake7z":"6017","Lake8river":"2","Lake8x":"-6275","Lake8z":"2097","Lake9river":"1","Lake9x":"-811","Lake9z":"-7214","x":"11583","y":"350","z":"-10925"}
The lake stuff is for bug testing (it's the locations of all the lakes and rivers). The x y z at the end is your saved start location. You can edit the x y z to anything you like. You should respawn at that location.
SAMIAMNOT wrote:I'm working on a server ...
Given how hacky the spawn code is, if you want to use mg_tectonic on a server, then you may want to replace mg_tectonic's spawn code with something more suited to a server (the spawn code is at the bottom of the init. file).

~~~
CalebJ wrote:... Another thing, I found a mountain with a height of y = 980, which I really don't like, as it was right over the center of the map (Exact coordinates: 36,985,45). ...
...And that's exactly where the biggest mountains are!! This map is a hybrid between procedural generation (e.g. normal minetest maps) and a designed map (e.g. like Skyrim's map etc). The big mountains are always in the middle running North-south, but the exact location/shape is random. ;-)

It's a bit different and not for everyone. It's like that to get realism - which is what this map is about.

~~~

Seeing as bug testing has come up, these are the issues I'm aware of:

- Central mountains become odd looking walls/pillars at extreme North and south
- "Contour lines" bug: missing surface nodes when a map chunk generates with ignore underneath (due to stability checks needed to stop surface nodes generating in the sky)
- kelp does not displaying correctly (currently disabled),
- plants are not spawning on permafrost,
- harsh border between east/west when lowlands
- balancing aesthetics: e.g. some forests soils not aligning well with trees and vice versa.
- game play balance, e.g. some resources too abundant/rare/far away in certain locations

Don't wait for me to fix these! Just things to be aware of if you're wanting to use it for a server etc.

SystemError
In-game: Havoc

by SystemError » Post

Hello Dokimi

Could you help me to understand why i get these holes in the ground on my edited version of your mapgen ?

I thought it would be the glow ore that i added, because i can't find it in the ground, but when i looked at the code i couldn't find no reason for it.

https://github.com/SystemError89/brainf ... er/sc1.png
https://github.com/SystemError89/brainf ... er/sc2.png

https://github.com/SystemError89/brainf ... r/init.lua
Are you threatening me !?

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

SystemError wrote:...Could you help me to understand why i get these holes in the ground on my edited version of your mapgen ?...
Hard to tell without spending hours digging through your code :-)

I can't think of anything obvious. Maybe you've just misnamed something somewhere! Interesting work by the way.

A suggestion:
I was wanting mg_tectonic to be able to do what you are trying - to be able to handle custom ores, stone etc.

Simply adding them in as you are doing is one way of doing it (perhaps the easy way).

Better would be a rewrite to make the code more modular. e.g. how default maps register biomes, then the mapgen runs whatever custom biomes it is given.

For mg_tectonic it could register:
- ores
- hard stone
- soft stone
- sediments
- soils.
-....more?

Then, for example in the hard rock code it would loop though all the registered hard rocks, divide the strata by that many and lay them down. (instead of how it currently only uses what is hard coded - "stone" and "desert stone").

However I don't know how to code this! (and will never get around to it)

So if someone wants to recode mg_tectonic in this way then go ahead. It would be a huge improvement. :-)

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

So how do you install it and use it? Why does every open source fill up with the assumption that everyone knows everything? X) This mod does not show up in the in-game mod installer so instructions are extra needed. Read me lacks anything like install/run instructions. Downloaded the master zip and I can see it as a mod, but this is a mapgen isn't it? It's not on the list if so unless it has a weird name that isn't "Tectonic" or the like.

I love the idea of an accurate mapgen but I had to give up because no idea how to deploy it.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Last edited by texmex on Tue Jun 11, 2019 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Innomen wrote:Downloaded the master zip and I can see it as a mod, but this is a mapgen isn't it?
It's a regular mod, all that you have to do is to unzip it and place it in your "mods" folder (its location depends on your platform and the way you installed Minetest), and then create a world for which you enable mg_tectonic.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

DarylSun
IRC: DarylSun
In-game: DarylSun

by DarylSun » Post

Wow, this mod looks cool! Question, will this be compatible with TenPlus1's Ethereal NG mod? Like, if I use them together, will stuff break?

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:
Innomen wrote:Downloaded the master zip and I can see it as a mod, but this is a mapgen isn't it?
It's a regular mod, all that you have to do is to unzip it and place it in your "mods" folder (its location depends on your platform and the way you installed Minetest), and then create a world for which you enable mg_tectonic.
That doesn't make any sense to me. I have to select a map gen when creating a new world. (Flat, fractal, valleys, single node, carpathian)

In any case it doesn't appear to have worked, I made a new world as normal. Enabled the mod, no errors but the land looks the same as always to me. Is there some definitive way to prove/disprove that?

If I had step by step instructions maybe I could tell what's going on. X)

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Innomen wrote:
Gael de Sailly wrote:It's a regular mod, all that you have to do is to unzip it and place it in your "mods" folder (its location depends on your platform and the way you installed Minetest), and then create a world for which you enable mg_tectonic.
That doesn't make any sense to me. I have to select a map gen when creating a new world. (Flat, fractal, valleys, single node, carpathian)

In any case it doesn't appear to have worked, I made a new world as normal. Enabled the mod, no errors but the land looks the same as always to me. Is there some definitive way to prove/disprove that?

If I had step by step instructions maybe I could tell what's going on. X)
Ok now I understand your problem. The mapgen selector only shows the mapgens provided by the engine. Set to singlenode for third-party mapgen (basically singlenode generates an empty world to let the mods deal with mapgen). I thought mg_tectonic was automatically overriding the mapgen to singlenode, but maybe I'm wrong (or you might have another mod that interferes with it).
Also always enable the mod on new worlds, before the first loading (because parts of map previously generated are not cleared).

So I would recommend:
  • Create a new world with singlenode mapgen
  • Enable mg_tectonic
  • Start the game

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

Ahhh ok excellent, now I get it, thank you. So I can install this and any new area I uncover will be generated using this process?

Edit: Still not working.

I get a blank world and some spawning messages. :/ (I do have the pixel perfect texture pack installed.)
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-06-11 15_06_43-.jpg
Screenshot 2019-06-11 15_06_43-.jpg (205.52 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Innomen wrote:Ahhh ok excellent, now I get it, thank you. So I can install this and any new area I uncover will be generated using this process?
Exactly (I assume you mean enable instead of install). So, in order to avoid ugly looking discontinuities at areas boundaries, only enable the mod on new worlds (applies for all mapgen mods).

Your questions are relevant, all of this should be explained more clearly. I think it's particularly the main menu that lacks clarity.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Innomen wrote:Edit: Still not working.

I get a blank world and some spawning messages. :/ (I do have the pixel perfect texture pack installed.)
Texture packs are unlikely to cause any trouble. But do you use other mods?

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

Agreed, the menu is a little confusing at times, like I didn't know content meant mods, seems obvious in hindsight but yet I just didn't know till someone told me. I thought it was some sort of asset viewer because open source goodness XD Guess I'm not very daring X)

I do use other mods but I didn't enable any of them for the new world. I may just reinstall. Saving only my worlds. (all two of them XD)

Edit: Full reinstall no config file Only change made from 64 bit portable for windows was the tectonic mod and still, it's like my screencap (minus the texture pack changes.)

How can I help trouble shoot this? Forum won't let me upload text files. (o.O)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Innomen wrote:...I get a blank world and some spawning messages. :/ (I do have the pixel perfect texture pack installed.)
LOL! I know what's happened.

It is working... that's just the crappy hacky random start code. Be patient, it is moving you down to the ground. (I know, I know, it's confusing and stupid but it was the only thing that worked!)

DarylSun wrote:Wow, this mod looks cool! Question, will this be compatible with TenPlus1's Ethereal NG mod? Like, if I use them together, will stuff break?
Sadly no. It works too differently than regular mapgens (mg_tectonic has no registered biomes, which is how Ethereal etc work). Likely Ethereal just wont show up, except for extra content in creative mode.

I would like mg_tectonic to be able to take custom stuff, or convert registered biomes into a a form it can use, but that would require a major rewrite (see above comments)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

I just updated the spawn message, seems that has confused a few people :-). Can confirm it should be working.

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Innomen wrote:...I get a blank world and some spawning messages. :/ (I do have the pixel perfect texture pack installed.)
LOL! I know what's happened.

It is working... that's just the crappy hacky random start code. Be patient, it is moving you down to the ground. (I know, I know, it's confusing and stupid but it was the only thing that worked!)
It's not stupid at all man. It also worked, I eventually landed :) Thanks :) Why doesn't this show up in the content browser?

Edit: I like the land a lot better already. Compliments the soft leaves mod too because actual dense realistic forests.

DarylSun
IRC: DarylSun
In-game: DarylSun

by DarylSun » Post

Dokimi wrote:
DarylSun wrote:Wow, this mod looks cool! Question, will this be compatible with TenPlus1's Ethereal NG mod? Like, if I use them together, will stuff break?
Sadly no. It works too differently than regular mapgens (mg_tectonic has no registered biomes, which is how Ethereal etc work). Likely Ethereal just wont show up, except for extra content in creative mode.

I would like mg_tectonic to be able to take custom stuff, or convert registered biomes into a a form it can use, but that would require a major rewrite (see above comments)
Awww. Well, anyway, I hope great success with your mod, and thanks for your reply!

EDIT: Fixed quote blocks, because I still don't know how phpBB works.

SystemError
In-game: Havoc

by SystemError » Post

Dokimi wrote:
SystemError wrote:...Could you help me to understand why i get these holes in the ground on my edited version of your mapgen ?...
Hard to tell without spending hours digging through your code :-)

I can't think of anything obvious. Maybe you've just misnamed something somewhere! Interesting work by the way.
I checked if i misspelled it and it's spelled right. When i took glowore out of the code there were no holes anymore. Could it have something to do with glowore being a lightsource ?

Dokimi wrote: A suggestion:
I was wanting mg_tectonic to be able to do what you are trying - to be able to handle custom ores, stone etc.

Simply adding them in as you are doing is one way of doing it (perhaps the easy way).

Better would be a rewrite to make the code more modular. e.g. how default maps register biomes, then the mapgen runs whatever custom biomes it is given.

For mg_tectonic it could register:
- ores
- hard stone
- soft stone
- sediments
- soils.
-....more?

Then, for example in the hard rock code it would loop though all the registered hard rocks, divide the strata by that many and lay them down. (instead of how it currently only uses what is hard coded - "stone" and "desert stone").

However I don't know how to code this! (and will never get around to it)

So if someone wants to recode mg_tectonic in this way then go ahead. It would be a huge improvement. :-)
I have no knowledge of coding at all, only look at codes and try to understand what they do and see what happens while i edit things ^^
But i already managed to add more rock layers by deepth. The ores I just always added by adding lines with that roll function and it worked pretty well. Maybe I will add other dependances in the future.
But right now i have another problem .. :( In the new Minetest version 5.0.1 the "plants" file doesn't seem to work anymore. First i thought it could be the game's automatic creation of biomes and decoration which took over priority or something but even with turning it of in the game's settings tectonic_mg still doesn't create the plants from the mod cucina vegana which i added anymore :( :( :(
Are you threatening me !?