[Mod] Tectonic Map Generator 0.3.2 [mg_tectonic]

csirolli
GitHub: HeyITGuyFixIt
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

Re: [Mod] Tectonic Map Generator [mg_tectonic]

by csirolli » Post

For the volcanoes, take a look at these mods: [magma_conduits] & [volcano]. I imagine you can do much better than these, but they are some neat ideas.

I was playing around with it and found this:
screenshot_20180607_115807.png
screenshot_20180607_115807.png (296.17 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
I don't know about cacti in snow.

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

csirolli wrote:I don't know about cacti in snow.
Hmmm... something strange is going on there. That shouldn't exist. At all. Are you running other plant mods, weird settings, anything??

mg_tectonic has it's own plant generation... my cactus looks nothing like that.

I haven't properly tested this in 0.4.17... maybe default is kicking in... which will make a mess of it... arghh!

Have you seen scattered ores (like in default), or other default trees?

I'm going to have to test this.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Okay... I have investigated.

It seems the fix sometimes works... and sometimes produces strange effects (possibly: turning 2d noise into 3d? Adding default veg. Allowing strata combos that should never happen... But not everywhere!)

I have no idea what is going on with that so...

I have undone this "fix".

I'm not sure what the longterm solution to the issue is, but there is an easier way to get it to work in 0.4.17 (it works fine as far as I can tell):

settings>server/singleplayer>game>advanced>deprecated LUA api handling = legacy.

(This appears to be the default so most people don't need to worry. I will need to do further testing to make sure it really is working in 0.4.17... but it looks okay)

csirolli

by csirolli » Post

I wonder if there is a way to detect the version. If it is 0.4.17 then use the fix; if not, then use the original line. I have seen the default trees throughout, not sure about the ores. So far the only thing I have found is mese and coal (mese being in that one starting island and coal being found underneath the surface in the stone layer above the water). As far as I am aware, I don't have any plant mods except the MineTest game mods enabled.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

csirolli wrote:I wonder if there is a way to detect the version. If it is 0.4.17 then use the fix; if not, then use the original line.
Sadly this was happening to me in 0.4.17!

The fix mangles it for both versions of Minetest.

The issue is bizarre though. On the same map, some places are perfect, others are slightly warped, and some... got put through a blender.

Regarding trees and ores etc, you probably need to know the map like I do to be able to tell when things are going horrendously wrong!

Fortunately mg_tectonic can be made to run in 0.4.17 (via the settings, which are correct by default). Still need to test it fully... but it does look okay.

csirolli

by csirolli » Post

FYI, rubenwardy said that there will be a 0.4.17.1 that addresses this issue and fixes it. So shouldn't have to worry about supporting 0.4.17, just 0.4.17.1. I think it will only have that one fix, I don't know of any other bugs that are fixed in that supposed version. Hopefully this is really going to happen.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

This screenshot was taken in Minetest 0.4.17. I've given it a better test. Everything appears to be working fine, as long as the settings mentioned previously haven't been fiddled with.

To be honest this whole bug has got me confused. But it works! And as long as I don't have to overhaul everything at some point I'm happy. :-)
Attachments
mgtect0417.jpeg
mgtect0417.jpeg (324.21 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

The question of how you would turn mg_tectonic into one giant mountain has come up on another thread. I think it should be possible... (but we wont know until we try!).

I'm not planning to do this myself, I provide the information for anyone who wants to try.
Spoiler
The underlying terrain is created by a combination of noise and a sine wave. This sine wave currently gives the rolling mountain ranges.

You could swap this sine wave out for any mathematical function. e.g. for megamountain you'd probably use the equation for a cone.

You'll find the sine wave in the init. file under Base Layer Waves.

Next you'll need to make many small adjustments to adapt it to the new shape.
1) The densities. Soft rocks etc are layered on top of the base layer you adjusted. You'll need to change their thresholds etc to suit. You'll see these sections under Soft Rock etc
2) Climate. This function is near the top of the init file. This controls where soils, plants end up. You could change this to anything, but you'll probably want to get rid of the East-vs-West thing, and adjust the altitude cooling to an appropriate height.
3) Others: caves, rivers, ocean basins, and player start (and possible some other minor things?) may also need adjusting. This can be done suit personal tastes.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Nice mapgen. I like your idea of generating ores in huge clusters. It's quite realistic. Have you considered changing the Minetest's source to run faster? Can there be any options those reduce the quality and increase the speed?

I found that lighting is glitchy in some areas. Look at my screenshot. Also are these caves intended behaviour? They don't look bad though.
Attachments
screenshot_20180701_163802.jpg
screenshot_20180701_163802.jpg (166.83 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Hume2 wrote:Nice mapgen...
Thank you
Hume2 wrote:Have you considered changing the Minetest's source to run faster? Can there be any options those reduce the quality and increase the speed?
I'm not sure what you mean???

As far as any technical questions go remember:
1) this is my first mapgen!
2) I taught myself how to code by making Minetest mods. This is already at the limits of my abilities!

(On that note: If people want this map to reach it's full potential it should probably be taken over by someone with better coding skills than I!)
Hume2 wrote: I found that lighting is glitchy in some areas.
If you mean occassional dark spots on the ground, or sunlight inside caves, then... yeah... those are known minor bugs that I don't know how to fix.
Hume2 wrote: Look at my screenshot. Also are these caves intended behaviour? They don't look bad though.
I've never found any that extreme! But... I guess that's normal. You shouldn't be getting this everywhere though... I see you are by the river, that would cut into the landscape and expose things like that.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Dokimi wrote: I'm not sure what you mean???

As far as any technical questions go remember:
1) this is my first mapgen!
2) I taught myself how to code by making Minetest mods. This is already at the limits of my abilities!
You are doing well. I quickly analysed your code and I found that there's not much to change in order to increase speed. Only if I wanted faster generation, I could reduce octaves in perlin noises. Each mod can have its options those can be configured in Minetest. This might be one option. I thought that modifying the Minetest source might increase the speed. It could be an option among v5, v6, v7, flat…. Now I don't know how much would this be possible. I'm not telling you to do anything of what I've just said, I'm just saying what are the possibilities.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Why does this game always spawn on a snowy island? Every single time, even why making a new world.
I test mines.

slemon

by slemon » Post

Great! Now we just need farmap.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Have you considered porting this to C++ for greater performance?

texmex

by texmex » Post

Btw, your mapgen is beautiful and much appreciated.

I have a question though. Are nodes associated with hot biomes supposed to mix with "cold" nodes? Take this screenshot for example. It's taken in the far SW corner of the map. You can see that snow nodes mix with rainforest littered dirt.
Spoiler

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

texmex wrote:Are nodes associated with hot biomes supposed to mix with "cold" nodes?
...from memory... I more or less ignored what they are "supposed" to be in default, and went by appearance. I was trying to keep it within the limits of the default set of nodes, but still have the variety this map needs (perhaps that's a limit that should be relaxed? It probably needs double the number of types of dirt etc).
texmex wrote:Have you considered porting this to C++ for greater performance?
Way beyond my abilities!

On that note...

I am looking for someone (or a team) to take over the development of mg_tectonic. There is a large pull request open on github (adding random lakes and things). Clearly people are interested in seeing this get taken further, and willing to do the work. But this has reached the limits of my abilities. Someone else needs to step up and take the challenge on!

munuc
In-game: munuc

by munuc » Post

I've noticed that in 0.4.16 and 0.4.17 that the plant API isn't being accessed properly, and is being seen as a nil value. Does anyone have a solution for this?

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Oho, this looks right up my alley. I've mostly been focusing my mapgen efforts on the below-ground half of the world (I'm a few days away from releasing a massive rewrite of [dfcaverns] and some related mods) but a surface world like this to go along with it would be pretty awesome.

A little while back I found an old mod called "realtest" and pulled out all the mineral types from it for eventual reuse, creating the real_minerals repository. Since realtest used GLP 3.0 and I prefer the MIT license I plan to make "real minerals" into a very basic "here's a big pile of node types" library and do any real mapgen work with it in a different mod to prevent license cross-contamination, but I figured it might be useful to mg_tectonic as well. Since the eventual plans I have for real_minerals haven't really been started yet the mod is still a bit junky but if you're interested I can whip it into a more useful shape.

One idea I had in mind for real_minerals ores that would be simple to implement in mg_tectonic and perhaps improve on the need for genuinely mine-like mining operations was that I'd make ores drop an ore lump only a fraction of the time. If copper ore only drops a copper lump 1 out of 10 times, you can multiply the volume of a copper ore body by ten and not change game balance much. It'd perhaps make the player less likely to just mine everything out the moment they found it, leaving them with a billion copper bars and a depleted mine they'll never go back to, and instead mine out only as much as they need for whatever project they want and make a note to return to that location if they need more copper in the future.

markthesmeagol
GitHub: smeagolthellama
In-game: haivets

by markthesmeagol » Post

I have tried this, and I would like to ask why there are small fountains of water next to the river (visible here
screenshot_20181229_223314.png
screenshot_20181229_223314.png (635.28 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
and here
screenshot_20181229_223335.png
screenshot_20181229_223335.png (439.62 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
).
Also, might it be possible to rewrite this in c++ (like valleys was) in order to be faster? At the moment, it is [it]realy[/it] slow (ok, I do have a bunch of other mods on at the same time, but still).

Excellent river by the way:
drat. the cloud got in the way
drat. the cloud got in the way
screenshot_20181229_224728.png (433.25 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
I am not very good at lua. I am learning though.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

markthesmeagol wrote: Excellent river by the way:
screenshot_20181229_224728.png
River maybe is excellent, but the screenshot is annoyingly awful - imho you should try taking the same shot in daylight cause now it is not only frustratingly obscure, but doesn't show referenced feature as well.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

A 0.2 development version is available (link in main post)

I finally got around to looking at the work thorn0906 done, and ending up doing some fiddling of my own.

0.2:
- Random lakes and rivers (major contributions by thorn0906)
- Random start position (major contributions by thorn0906)
- Improved compatibility with mods by making climate more accesible (by thorn0906)
- Third biome factor (disturbance regime) for greater regional variety
- Adjusted landscape shape (larger mountains etc)
- various minor changes and additions (e.g. coral, sea ice)

This will be the biggest update mg_tectonic has had. It is a much better map, but...needs testing.

(note: bigger mountains. Disturbance factor divides areas into forests, grasslands, ....)

Future development:
- It now has enough regional variety to be interesting (more so once Minetest 0.5 content is included). It can stay within the limits of default.
- Main issues now:
1) balance
2) bug fixing, and compatibility
3) performance (C++)

I am only really able to do 1) and some of 2). Once again it will take someone else to have a go at this to keep it moving forward.

0.2 should be playable. Just needs testing. I'll release it properly... one day!

Enjoy ;-)
Attachments
mgtect_screenshot.jpeg
mgtect_screenshot.jpeg (123.85 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

The screenshot is fantastic, looks so promising. I hope you'll continue your work and maybe your mapgen will be merged with the engine someday.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Kevin Tee

by Kevin Tee » Post

Very interesting mod! Any possibilities of generating very deep ocean? Like Mariana Trench.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Kevin Tee wrote:...Any possibilities of generating very deep ocean? Like Mariana Trench.
Interesting idea. I was actually just fiddling with the ocean basins. The map has deep oceans around the edge. I have now made their max depth deeper than the Mariana Trench!

texmex

by texmex » Post

I’ve been contemplating building a game around this mapgen many times, it could be a lot of fun. What stops me is that I also want biome heat to influence the player and with the mix of hot and cold nodes and schematics that seems hard to do. Am I correct in assuming this?