[mod] Teleporter Pads [1.1][tpad]

entuland
GitHub: entuland
IRC: entuland
In-game: entuland

[mod] Teleporter Pads [1.1][tpad]

by entuland » Post

A teleporter-pads mod for Minetest

Developed and tested on Minetest 0.4.16 - try in other versions at your own risk :)

Repo:
https://github.com/entuland/tpad

Download links:
Version 1.1:
https://github.com/entuland/tpad/archive/1.1.zip

Dependencies: none
Code License: MIT
Media License: CC0

Several new features have been added, please see repo for details and screenshots.

Here are the features of version 1.0 in a nutshell:
- private pads accessible only by their owners
- public pads accessible by anyone in the owner's network
- global pads accessible by anyone from any pad
- configurable max total pads per player
- configurable max global pads per player
- admin priv to bypass limits and ownership of pads and to alter max limits
Spoiler

Last edited by entuland on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:29, edited 6 times in total.

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

Re: [mod] Teleporter Pads [tpad]

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

The MoD name sounds cool. I test the mods only when I go off. That means that my opinion maybe come tomorrow.
Spoiler
I hate my life

entuland

by entuland » Post

Phoenixflo44 wrote:The MoD name sounds cool. I test the mods only when I go off. That means that my opinion maybe come tomorrow.
Nice, all comments will be more than welcome :)

entuland

by entuland » Post

Repo updated with a new version using a mesh instead of a flat texture.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

pic or it didnt happen
btw: for jumping 2 blocks high you can activate the infamous "sneak glitch" in the advanced settings menu.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

entuland

by entuland » Post

Stix wrote:pic or it didnt happen
btw: for jumping 2 blocks high you can activate the infamous "sneak glitch" in the advanced settings menu.
Sorry but I don't get what I should document with a pic :P

About the sneak glitch: yep, I've been suggested that approach but that would also require me to sneak while jumping, I like to keep it simple so I simply altered the physics increasing the jump multiplier a little.

homthack
GitHub: homt8
IRC: homthack
In-game: homthack

by homthack » Post

a mods is on minetesthosting list but it seems something about teleporter that says a mods on this topic: teleporter - Teleporter pads allow players to teleport around to minetest world in a controllable manner.
just so you have something with this mods?
Server-Available: [HM-Skyblock] Contact-Discord: [homthack#9917]

entuland

by entuland » Post

homthack wrote:a mods is on minetesthosting list but it seems something about teleporter that says a mods on this topic: teleporter - Teleporter pads allow players to teleport around to minetest world in a controllable manner.
Not sure I get the question.

The mod in this thread has been completely written by me (I've tried other teleport-related mods but ended up writing one from scratch). I only posted about it here and in the IRC #minetest channel after publishing it on github a couple of days ago. Anything else about teleporter related mods has nothing to do with this mod or has been linked/mentioned outside of my knowledge.

Do you have any link to point out about that?

homthack
GitHub: homt8
IRC: homthack
In-game: homthack

by homthack » Post

entuland wrote:
homthack wrote:a mods is on minetesthosting list but it seems something about teleporter that says a mods on this topic: teleporter - Teleporter pads allow players to teleport around to minetest world in a controllable manner.

The mod in this thread has been completely written by me (I've tried other teleport-related mods but ended up writing one from scratch). I only posted about it here and in the IRC #minetest channel after publishing it on github a couple of days ago. Anything else about teleporter related mods has nothing to do with this mod or has been linked/mentioned outside of my knowledge.

I'm sure why this mods needs something to see the package of tpad is a teleporter theme pads. I say something with this good answer and I'm sure that a mods is in another web page: viewtopic.php?id=2149
Server-Available: [HM-Skyblock] Contact-Discord: [homthack#9917]

Stix

by Stix » Post

make a pic showing the craft, the tpad itself, and a few screenies to demonstrate setting up a tpad station, this will make your mod look impressive/official and a lot of people wont download a mod until they see a pic.

Stix

by Stix » Post

slightly offtopic but..: it would be cool if to go to blocks high there was something like air-dashing.
*EDIT: if your interested, i just found this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19633

entuland

by entuland » Post

homthack wrote:
entuland wrote:

I'm sure why this mods needs something to see the package of tpad is a teleporter theme pads. I say something with this good answer and I'm sure that a mods is in another web page: viewtopic.php?id=2149
That is one of the mods I've tested out which aren't my piece of cake. The reason why I don't like that mod (which IIRC doesn't even work with the latest minetest version) is that it only allows for paired teleporters. My version, under that aspect, looks more like the travelnet one, where each pad is a station and you need to right click on it in order to teleport anywhere, whereas the one you have linked teleports you immediately as you step on the pad. Another major difference is that my mod is safe to use about forbidding players from teleporting to places they haven't been yet (you can't control the destination coordinates of my pads, you can only place them down and name them).

In general, I see that there are several mods similar to eachother, or simply tackling the same task in a different manner... my point is that I'm not fully sure I get your point :)

entuland

by entuland » Post

Stix wrote:make a pic showing the craft, the tpad itself, and a few screenies to demonstrate setting up a tpad station, this will make your mod look impressive/official and a lot of people wont download a mod until they see a pic.
Oh I see, now I understand your previous post :)

I will surely add pics and more details as soon as possible, thanks for your advice.

entuland

by entuland » Post

Stix wrote:slightly offtopic but..: it would be cool if to go to blocks high there was something like air-dashing.
*EDIT: if your interested, i just found this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19633
Not sure I get the kind of addition you would like to see to my mod, could you elaborate a bit better?

I've seen the link you mentioned, it's surely interesting, I'll test that mod out, thanks for pointing it out!

entuland

by entuland » Post

Added screenshots to the first post and pushed a new commit to the repo hopefully fixing ghost pads for good - holding a pad and right clicking on some interactable such as chests could result in a ghost station without name appearing in the station list.

If you have any of such ghost stations simply delete them accessing a pad.

I've added the screenshots using imgur, but using the URL I got from posting them there didn't work for embedding the actual image, so I had to link directly to the image source. Hopefully such hotlinking will continue working and screenies will not disappear :P

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Pretty much like viewtopic.php?t=4877 travelnet, however better focused :)
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

entuland

by entuland » Post

LMD wrote:Pretty much like viewtopic.php?t=4877 travelnet, however better focused :)
I tried some mods here and there but I must admit I'm still very ignorant about all the available ones - I tried the travelnet one and I like it a lot, but I had to start modding from somewhere and I decided to implement my own twist nonetheless to practice.

I'm glad you like my version :)

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Proposal : Maybe make it harder to craft ? That would make it fit better into survival games. I mean, how long does it take to get 4 wood & 4 bronze ? Maybe 4 mese blocks & 4 diamond blocks ?
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

entuland

by entuland » Post

LMD wrote:Proposal : Maybe make it harder to craft ? That would make it fit better into survival games. I mean, how long does it take to get 4 wood & 4 bronze ? Maybe 4 mese blocks & 4 diamond blocks ?
Couldn't say. I always play in creative mode, I use them just to keep track of spots around the world and as such I never craft them.

Bronze isn't really immediate to get - you need to find both tin and copper and you need to combine them.

4 mese blocks and 4 diamond blocks look extremely expensive to me, and in any case the recipe itself can be freely altered when included in some game's package or installed on to a server.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

This is highly contextual anyway. For instance in my game it's relatively easy to get mese because monsters drop it when you kill them (just one shard, typically 1/2 chance for small mobs like the dirt monster).

You often end up editing the recipes to adapt them to your game's economy. IIRC Travelnet puts its recipes in its configuration file, which is nice. The only thing it misses is to handle the case when you don't provide one, making the item un-craftable (and to be obtained by other means, a lottery or admin shops for instance).

entuland

by entuland » Post

Astrobe wrote:This is highly contextual anyway. For instance in my game it's relatively easy to get mese because monsters drop it when you kill them (just one shard, typically 1/2 chance for small mobs like the dirt monster).

You often end up editing the recipes to adapt them to your game's economy. IIRC Travelnet puts its recipes in its configuration file, which is nice. The only thing it misses is to handle the case when you don't provide one, making the item un-craftable (and to be obtained by other means, a lottery or admin shops for instance).
Oh that's a nice feature... I could definitely add those configuration files to my mods and also handle the case where you disable the crafting altogether to avoid players to make them. Thanks for the pointer Astrobe!

entuland

Re: [mod] Teleporter Pads [1.0][tpad]

by entuland » Post

Several new features have been added, please see repo for details and screenshots.
https://github.com/entuland/tpad

Here are the features of version 1.0 in a nutshell:
- private pads accessible only by their owners
- public pads accessible by anyone in the owner's network
- global pads accessible by anyone from any pad
- configurable max total pads per player
- configurable max global pads per player
- admin priv to bypass limits and ownership of pads and to alter max limits

Added configurable recipe in a custom file as suggested by Astrobe as well, thanks again for the idea :)

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

Hello!
I'm using in 0.4.17 and the block is dark, doesn't show texture. Is it not compatible with new version?

Thanks, I like a lot of this mod. Congrats!
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

entuland

by entuland » Post

luizsab wrote:Hello!
I'm using in 0.4.17 and the block is dark, doesn't show texture. Is it not compatible with new version?

Thanks, I like a lot of this mod. Congrats!
I'm glad you like my TPads, luizsab :)

Unfortunately I have no idea why you're getting black textures there - just tested my development version, which is identical to release 1.0 (haven't made any change since then) and the texture works just fine on 0.4.17

All of your pads are saved per world so it should be safe to delete your current "mods/tpad" folder and reinstall a fresh copy of it to see if the problem disappears (but just in case, go and check the "mod_storage" folder inside your world folder, find the file named "tpad" there, open it with a decent text editor and see if you can read your pad names and coordinates there, then copy it over to a safe place just in case).

If the above makes no difference try telling me exactly what graphics settings you're using so that I can reproduce them and see if it's something glitching out.

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

Hello, thanks for your answer.

My Minetest Settings is disabled, all things, shadders ...

I did that you recommended and I can read tpad file in my world folder, moreover the teleport works very well, just texture is dark and I downloaded again from your git and the problem persists. I create a new world with just tpad mod active and happens the same so I guess the trouble is not about other mods.

My configurations is: Debian Stretch OS, i5 processor with 6GB Ram and video is simple Intel adapter.
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61