[Mod] Magma conduits [magma_conduits]

FaceDeer

GitHub: FaceDeer

[Mod] Magma conduits [magma_conduits]

by FaceDeer » Sun May 27, 2018 15:56

A relatively simple mapgen mod. It adds magma conduits that thread through the ground like a second vertically-oriented cave system.

It also has the following optional features, configurable via settings:

* Removes default mapgen lava (it leaves the empty caves behind)
* Removes surface lava that would otherwise spill out into the surrounding landscape, leaving stable lava pools dotted here and there.
* Adds an obsidian lining to magma conduits, providing a warning for unsuspecting miners
* Adds "glowing rock" that forms from stone and obsidian adjacent to magma, providing a brief warning to miners that they're about to hit trouble.

This mod makes magma more sparsely distributed across the map, but where it is found it will be available in massive quantities. Using this mod in conjunction with the dynamic_liquid mod can result in !!fun!! lava flows when caves intersect with magma conduits.

Dependencies: default
License: MIT

Links

Last edited by FaceDeer on Sun Jun 03, 2018 17:53, edited 2 times in total.

RSLRedstonier

GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

Re: [Mod] Magma conduits [0.5]

by RSLRedstonier » Sun May 27, 2018 19:53

finally no more boring lava pools!
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Sun May 27, 2018 20:51

I'm hoping to eventually put out a version that builds volcanic cones over the surface ends of vents, but at the moment I'm working on some other mods that are keeping that back-burnered. Hopefully the hole-in-the-ground-with-lava-inside appearance is fine for now.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Mon May 28, 2018 10:10

I like the idea of magma conduits alot but as it works now it burns down my forests when when generated in them. A setting for an y offset of the lava surface could solve that.

Another suggestion is a setting with a string of comma-separated biome names that controls in which biomes the conduits generate.

A third thing I noticed yesterday is that even though the lava reaches the surface, there was no obsidian generated around it and thus lava sat next to dirt-with-grass which didn’s look all too realistic.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Mon May 28, 2018 13:41

There's already a setting for limiting the lava's height, magma_conduits_remove_lava_above. It still leaves the empty conduit above that height, unfortunately - I tried creating a setting that'd prevent the lava :"ore" from spawning in the first place above that height but discovered an issue in Minetest itself that made me back off of that for the time being.

Currently lava's just an ore, so I don't think fine-grained control of where it spawns is possible. But I expect I'll eventually rewrite the vent-generating code from scratch when I get to making surface volcanoes, so I can take a look at doing that then.

The obsidian-generating code only replaces default:stone with obsidian currently, I'll add dirt and such to the list when I've got a bit of spare time.

twoelk

GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

FaceDeer

Re: [Mod] Magma conduits [magma_conduits]

by FaceDeer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 21:54

My day job schedule is still pretty crazy so I don't know how quickly I can "finish" this, but I just roughed out a mapgen for adding large mountain-scale volcanoes to pretty much any map. See the following branch at Github:
magma_conduits volcano branch

It's not set up to be highly configurable yet, but if you crack open the volcanoes.lua file you can find a bunch of settings at the top that will eventually add flexibility to what sort of volcanoes are generated. Right now volcanoes are made in the following general patterns:

25% "extinct" (no lava, just an obsidian pipe), 25% "dormant" (obsidian plug in the caldera but there's a lava pipe below it), 50% "active" (an open throat leading right to lava, and slopes covered in gravel "ash" rather than soil). The steepness and heights of the volcanoes vary widely too.

Right now the code that is supposed to scatter volcanoes randomly across the map is in a primitive state, which is actually handy for testing; they're roughly in a 1-kilometer grid pattern starting at 500,0,500. Volcanoes can be up to 200 meters tall.

A word of warning: during my testing I've been getting an occasional crash that may be related to this mapgen, so don't use this in a world you care about just yet.

On my todo list is making volcanoes blend into their surrounding biomes a bit better, putting snow on the taller ones and maybe trees and stuff on the dormant or extinct ones. Haven't done mapgen work on the surface world before so that'll be a learning experience.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 00:00

I've noticed that some of the volcanoes have weird horizontal slices missing, which can allow lava to spill out. So not ready for prime time just yet, though I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to make these things "erupt" in a more intentional manner once the basic stuff is working better. :)

Edit: The horizontal slices appear to be specific to mapgen v7, the same volcano generated in singlenode or in carpathian was intact. An interesting challenge, it looks like mapgen v7 is doing something *after* the volcano has been generated to cut slices into it.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 07:33

Okay, I think the "volcanoes" branch of this mod is getting pretty close to merging back into the main branch now. I'm reasonably satisfied with how volcanoes look. Could perhaps use a bit more biome-specific vegetation on the dormant and extinct ones, but that's likely to be a lot of work so I'll save it for a future version.

Here's a screenshot of a typical volcano this mod can now generate:

You can use the /findvolcano console command to seek out nearby volcanoes, since the might be scattered widely and take a while to track down by just flying around.

Any suggestions or requests before I merge?

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 07:18

Okay, I think I'm done. I've made extinct and dormant volcanoes use nodes from the biomes they're in to decorate their slopes (eg, a volcano in the desert gets desert sand on it, a volcano in the jungle gets jungle dirt) though active ones always get gravel "ash" instead. I've also added a large magma chamber down at the bottom end of each magma pipe - even extinct volcanoes have one. There's no trees and stuff like that, but eh, I figure this is good enough for now.

Unfortunately, I've been triggering Issue #7864 a lot as I've been flying around from volcano to volcano while testing. So I'm going to hold off merging the volcano branch into master for a little while to see if that issue gets traction.

Return to Mod Releases