GitHub: oktail
IRC: oktail
In-game: oktail

Re: [Mod] Magma conduits and volcanoes [magma_conduits]

by oktail » Post

Hello,

I encounter a strange issue since i have activated this mod
The map generation is mostly stopped for classic bioms, excepted for volcanoes
If I teleport myself far in empty area of the map, I encounter volcanoes flying on ground level in empty space :
as example: https://oktail.org/minetest/map.png

Event if I disable this mod, the issue stay the same
I have try to disable every mods, my map looks to be locked :/

How re retrieve my normal map generation ?

Thanks

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Strange. The only thing that magma_conduits might do that I can think of that would influence base mapgen is the "remove_default_lava" setting, which uses an alias to convert mapgen_lava_source nodes into air. That's a pretty minor thing that shouldn't be disrupting mapgen as a whole like this, and if you've removed the magma_conduits mod then it shouldn't be happening any more anyway.

Does this bug happen again if you start a new world with just the magma_conduits mod installed? This is with the default minetest_game, I assume?

Adnunano

by Adnunano » Post

Bug report:after enabling this mod with wildlife mod together.Mobs in wildlife mod keeps dying after they respawn.
NfAPhpmGaVphBjK8NIr9Mit5xNW2emD2

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Adnunano wrote:Bug report:after enabling this mod with wildlife mod together.Mobs in wildlife mod keeps dying after they respawn.
This was a fun one to figure out. :)

magma_conduits has a feature to remove the default lava generated by mapgen so that it can "take over" the lava distribution of any mapgen it is used with. The setting that enables this is "magma_conduits_remove_default_lava" and it functions by registering an alias to turn "mapgen_lava_source" nodes into "air".

Over in the wildlife mod there's a function for calculating lava damage to creatures. It starts by figuring out what nodes count as "lava" and then checks to see if any of those nodes are nearby. It figures out what nodes are lava as follows:

Code: Select all

node_lava = node_lava or minetest.registered_nodes[minetest.registered_aliases.mapgen_lava_source]
You can see where this is going. :) The wildlife mod is comparing based on the definition of whatever is registered as the node type for mapgen_lava_source, which in this case is identical to air. So as far as these animals are concerned they are constantly immersed in lava all the time. Little wonder they immediately die.

I think the solution lies in changing the wildlife mod. This strikes me as an unreliable way of identifying lava, and it completely ignores any non-lava damage-causing nodes that mods may add such as pools of acid or what have you. I'll see if I can whip up a pull request for wildlife, in the meantime I recommend disabling the "remove_default_lava" setting on magma_conduits and using whatever mapgen-specific mechanism exists for removing default lava in your world.

Edit: Fixed in this branch of my fork of wildlife. Pull request submitted.

Winter94
In-game: Azrael Winter WintersKnight

by Winter94 » Post

Facedeer, I love all of your work, and I have been working on my own mod for Nodecore that was originally supposed to be a port of this mod for Nodecore, but I ended up having to change and redo so many things that it's more like it's just heavily based on your code. That being said, the code that actually generates the volcanoes is *mostly* untouched, due to me not being particularly adept at terrain generation. (I did credit you in the mod file, by the way) but I have a serious question that I have no idea where to even begin:
The volcanoes have different surface decoration based on elevation. Is there a way I can add noise to the y level to transition the vertical decorations better?