[Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm creating a "game" for minetest instead of just a server-drop in pack. This was due to demand from players who wanted to run the software on their own computers. That's fine.

So I'm in the process of creating that pack. one of the issues I've been coming across is that when loading a game, Minetest seems to halt and give an error everytime a block is referenced with

Code: Select all

ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/me/.minetest/games/saras_simple_survival_game/mods/cloudlands/init.lua:
Unknown node: vines:vine_end
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'get_content_id'
	...aras_simple_survival_game/mods/cloudlands/cloudlands.lua:218: in function 'find_node_id'
	...aras_simple_survival_game/mods/cloudlands/cloudlands.lua:233: in function 'find_node_name'
	...aras_simple_survival_game/mods/cloudlands/cloudlands.lua:323: in function <...aras_simple_survival_game/mods/cloudlands/cloudlands.lua:315>
	...aras_simple_survival_game/mods/cloudlands/cloudlands.lua:841: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'dofile'
	...ames/saras_simple_survival_game/mods/cloudlands/init.lua:3: in main chunk
Check debug.txt for details.
Any get_content_id seems to break. I don't have mineclone, vines, or ethereal assets installed and I don't want to completely rewrite any of the loops in the code. So I will likely replace referenced nodes with "air" for now.

I also had this problem with the nether mod (it had a reference to stairs:stair_cobble or something like that that caused a bug.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I anticipate having version 0.1 of the game uploaded into notabug sometime this weekend so perhaps you can reference what I mean in my repo.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Minetest 5.2 removed the ability of minetest.get_content_id() to return whether a node is unavailable, requiring find_node_id() in cloudlands to be changed to avoid errors like this. The cloudlands updates for 5.2 were committed on 11th April and your cloudlands find_node_id() code should look like this. Declarations at the start of the file don't need to be changed to air - it'll run faster if it knows not to add vines instead of trying to locate where vines should be and adding air there.

I just checked the code on notabug.org and see you're running a version from December last year, unmodified except for vine nodenames, so updating to latest cloudlands or updating its find_node_id() function will fix that problem.

is notagbug.io related to notabug.org?

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Yep, I just updated to 5.2.0 on my server and had all the same bugs happen. Luckily I've already dealt with them once and the uptime wasnt badly affected.

I just uploaded a new repo called saras_simple_survival_game. I thought I had the latest cloudlands version in that, but I will double check.

off-topic, but related: Nether has one of these issues in the mapgen.lua file that is coming up in logs.

2020-05-15 22:25:01: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
2020-05-15 22:25:01: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /usr/share/games/minetest/mods/lib_world/nether/init.lua:
2020-05-15 22:25:01: ERROR[Main]: Unknown node: stairs:stair_cobble
2020-05-15 22:25:01: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-05-15 22:25:01: ERROR[Main]:       [C]: in function 'get_content_id'
2020-05-15 22:25:01: ERROR[Main]:       /usr/share/games/minetest/mods/lib_world/nether/mapgen.lua:78: in main chunk
2020-05-15 22:25:01: ERROR[Main]:       [C]: in function 'dofile'
2020-05-15 22:25:01: ERROR[Main]:       /usr/share/games/minetest/mods/lib_world/nether/init.lua:59: in main chunk

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

The nether issue is more complex, Minetest 5.2's new minetest.get_content_id() behaviour also exposed an alias bug MT had. This has been fixed 26 days ago by sfan5.

The nether bug is caused by that bug in Minetest being "activated" by moreores creating an alias for stairs:stair_cobble, so nightly builds will fix it, Minetest 5.3 will fix it, and not running moreores will fix it. There's also a workaround for it here which allows nether to run with moreores on MT 5.2, but I didn't merge it due to the bug being fixed in Minetest.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I'm getting this error when I updated the mod in a world. It works without errors in a fresh world. Is this a known problem, any way to fix it? I don't know anything about mapgen, which I believe this relates too.

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback item_OnPlace(): ...than/.minetest/games/Epic/mods/cloudlands/cloudlands.lua:591: attempt to index upvalue 'noise_heightMap' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...than/.minetest/games/Epic/mods/cloudlands/cloudlands.lua:591: in function 'is_within_realm'
	...e/nathan/.minetest/games/Epic/mods/nether/portal_api.lua:1356: in function 'ignite_portal'
	...e/nathan/.minetest/games/Epic/mods/nether/portal_api.lua:2159: in function <...e/nathan/.minetest/games/Epic/mods/nether/portal_api.lua:2156>
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Not a known problem until now!

Add the line cloudlands.init() above line 591 in cloudlands.lua file (in is_within_realm()). That should fix it for you immediately, and I'll work out a fix to put in the mod.

It looks like someone is trying to ignite a portal to the cloudlands, but the cloudlands mod hadn't inited yet because it hadn't needed to generate any islands. Portals is a relatively new feature in Cloudlands, I should post some of the new updates and features here.

In unrelated news, a cloudlands panorama...

Attachments
islandmoonlight_thumb2.jpg
islandmoonlight_thumb2.jpg (50.56 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Tue Jun 30, 2020 13:54, edited 3 times in total.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Why do the sky and ocean look so nice in that image?

Skybox?
Special Effects?

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

/skybox 3, with brightness raised in post - though brightness could have been raised in skybox instead.

I agree it's not very representative of how Minetest games normally look :)
but it was produced by Minetest.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

It makes a good screenshot. I bet its not dynamic though (the skybox with moon movement)? The panorama is very cool.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

That works perfectly!
Thanks for the fast response. The players on my server will be very happy to have working portals to the skylands.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

doria
GitHub: doria
IRC: doria
In-game: doria

by doria » Post

What is the code to get a cloudland tree sapling?

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

doria wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 13:17
What is the code to get a cloudland tree sapling?
Currently they appear with the landscape and can't be grown from a sapling.

It would be nice to be able to grow them, but they're very large and the roots go into the ground, so skytree saplings could enable mischief on servers - cleaning one up would be a gargantuan task for a player.

Hypothetically, if there was a good game-mechanicy way to introduce saplings I'd be interested. Perhaps with limits like saplings not growing within a kilometre of each other and a mod-setting to make it opt-in.

Grigor

by Grigor » Post

Ahoy, Dr Frankenstone! I'm trying to build a nether portal to reach cloudlands from ground level. I'm running the latest Minetest 5.3.0, with the mineclone 2 game, mapgen v7. The cloudlands are visible at 200m, but a standard nether portal (made from obsidian and lit by flint) only takes me to the nether. I've looked everywhere (mineclone / cloudlands / nether) for answers, but no (obvious) dice.
So, what's the method? What's the portal made of (assuming 4 x 5 construction) and how's it activated?
Thanks in advance and look forward to exploring the cloudlands.
P.S: Installed cloudlands after world generation. I can see them above me. So close...

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Grigor wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 05:53
I'm trying to build a nether portal to reach cloudlands from ground level
The answers are in the Book of Portals, which can be obtained from dungeon chests, or viewed in the help [doc] modpack (if installed).

...spoiler perhaps?...

A portal to the cloudlands is built with ancient portalstone rather than obsidian. Ancient portalstone can currently be found in two places: ancient portal ruins in the nether , and complete portal frames which can sometimes be found on cloudland islands. I think searching the nether would be the fasted way to obtain some in survival even though you'll have to find multiple ruins. (cloudlands is able to add ancient portal ruins to the nether provided you have a recent version of the nether mod, but only areas of the nether generated after cloudlands was installed will have portal ruins)

In the future I hope to have a new region in the nether which provides mods with alternative nodes they can use in portals, and plan to change the cloudlands portals to be built with one of those new stones only obtainable through "a journey to the center of the nether", but that's a fair way off and I'd alias the ancient portalstone to the new stone so that any existing cloudland portals still work.

Grigor

by Grigor » Post

Dr. F, thanks for the prompt reply and suitably mystical clues. Will investigate further...

Look forward to hopping along those Roger Dean-esque cloudlands!

EDIT:
It looks as though the nether mod included in mineclone 2 has missing elements (like the book of portals) compared to the standalone nether mod, which I'm thinking is what is in the video you've linked and what I'll need to get to the cloudlands. Installing the standalone nether mod into mineclone only leads to compatibility problems (mineclone not having the usual "default" prefix on any nodes.

May need to just start a new world / game outside of mineclone 2 with all the desired components and continue that way, unless there's another way...

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Your edit has cleared up my confusion.

Both videos are from Minetest Game with the nether mod. The nether mod provides a Portals API and currently has a dependency on MTG's "default" for lava and obsidian, so only runs with Minetest Game. Mineclone 2 provides its own nether system but that doesn't have the portals API, and so cloudlands won't have portals in Mineclone 2.

Grigor

by Grigor » Post

I found this mod listed in Mineclone2-enabled mods viewtopic.php?p=332849#p332849, and assumed because of that the nether portals would somehow be integrated... A future addition, perhaps?
Not to worry... the process of figuring out how to get there will be an adventure in itself!

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

I'm looking at mods to include on an upcoming public server. How does this work with Ethereal NG?

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

The cloudlands setting "Use lowland biomes" should be turned off in Ethereal unless you want to add new biomes.

Ethereal's trees and default biomes specify their altitude ranges, so the cloudlands will be floating above the alpine line (always snowy) unless extra biomes are added at the cloudlands altitudes and plants are allowed to grow in those biomes. Some options are discussed here.

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

I wanted to have cloudlands all the way up to 8000 so I put altitude at 4100 and amplitude at 3900. Cloudlands seemed really spread out this way. It feels like maybe instead of adding more for the height, it stretches the same layer across the entire height? Did that make sense? Anyway, is this a known behaviour? Intended? Any suggestions?

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

yeah, the islands are effectively on a 2d height map. A 3d mode where they follow 3d "eddy field-lines" and fill a volume rather than a layer is a nice idea, and I've just added it to my wiki, but I don't expect to work on it in the foreseeable future.

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

what is the use of the "heart of the tree"?
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 08:45
what is the use of the "heart of the tree"?
Unfortunately it wasn't implemented, the hearts are just rare and bright enough that plants can grow under them.

The dead skytrees don't have hearts, I was thinking the tree could slowly fizzlefade between the living variant and one of its dead variants depending on whether the heart was located inside the tree:

-- The heart of the Tree
    -- The difference between a living tree and and a haunted/darkened husk
    --
    -- Ideally trees would slowly fizzlefade to/from the Haunted theme depending on
    -- whether a player steals or restores the heart, meaning a house hollowed out inside
    -- a living tree would need the heart to still be kept inside it, perhaps on its
    -- own pedestal (unless wanting an Addam's Family treehouse).
However, one of the skytree schematics lacks the haunted/darkened husk variant so I never went further with the heart of the tree. (The branches inside the leaves of cloudlands_tree2.mts need to be thickened and connected up into something that will look good when the tree has no leaves before it can be given the haunted/darkened husk variant)

Ghaydn
In-game: ghaydn

by Ghaydn » Post

So nobody has defeated ethereal bug yet? I made a small fix in ethereal files. In schems.lua on line 52 added:

minetest.register_decoration({
		deco_type = "schematic",
		place_on = a,
		sidelen = 80,
		fill_ratio = b,
		biomes = c,
		y_min = 250,
		y_max = 500,
		schematic = f,
		flags = "place_center_x, place_center_z",
		replacements = h,
		spawn_by = i,
		num_spawn_by = j,
		rotation = k
	})
The same with grass in decor.lua on line 100:

minetest.register_decoration({
		deco_type = "simple",
		place_on = a,
		sidelen = 80,
		fill_ratio = b,
		biomes = c,
		y_min = 250,
		y_max = 500,
		decoration = f,
		height_max = g,
		spawn_by = h,
		num_spawn_by = i,
	})
y_min and y_max depend on cloudlands altitude.
But this is a dirty hack. Biomes become too flooded with trees and grasses. Plants don't know where to grow, they just find suitable soil and appear on it, all of them at the same island. Anyway, this is better than no plants at all.
Nobody understands me... — вРН БШ ЯЙЮГЮКХ?