Page 2 of 2

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 17:48
by Astrobe
Even if just used to avoid spoilers, obfuscation is a bad idea because game creators/server owners do want to make sure that the secret feature doesn't conflict with other content.

For them, not only one shouldn't hide the feature, but it also should be documented (e.g. in a comment).

I believe other users won't read the source code past the configuration section at the top of the file (which could easily be put in a separate file). And even if they do, putting a spoiler warning and maybe obfuscating the text messages should be good enough.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 17:55
by Linuxdirk
Astrobe wrote:configuration section at the top of the file (which could easily be put in a separate file).

... which easily be put in settingtypes.txt to make configuration independent from code for easier updating when changing the configuration.

(local myvalue = minetest.settings:get('mymod_myvalue') or my_default_value to to get the configuration set by the user or optionally set the desired default value. See Settings for more information on what values types to get.)

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 18:57
by ShadMOrdre
Linuxdirk,

So then how will you know if code has been intentionally obfuscated if you cannot read kanji?

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 19:20
by sofar
ShadMOrdre wrote:Linuxdirk,

So then how will you know if code has been intentionally obfuscated if you cannot read kanji?


Obfuscating is the art of making something hidden. By definition, coding in kanji, if you are kanjinese, or know kanji, is not obfuscating, since it isn't hiding if you are writing in your own language.

Using an encryption cipher however is absolutely obfuscating, since it's the only purpose encryption serves.

So rot19 is obfuscating, and so is the deliberate act of making whitespace changes to make everything appear a blurb.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 20:04
by ShadMOrdre
Sofar,

I am aware of the definitions of obfuscation. I've been combating and railing against obfuscation for years.

But now my question becomes, what of .zip files posted here on the forums. While technically not banned or encrypted, they do prevent the "openness" of the code. And yes, I've already seen many called out for this. It is also possible to include mods that may actually contain encrypted zip files, or point to mods that use external libraries, which are proprietary in their licensing, and/or binary in their distribution.

Please don't think I'm being naive or stupid, I simply ask questions that either go unasked, or are avoided, due to the complexities involved. IMHO, some of this involves legalities which are still undefined. Simply pointing to a "tow the line" stance doesn't answer the question either.

And I think this discussion should probably move out of this topic, if it does continue.

Shad

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 21:52
by texmex
Stay on topic, dangit.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 08:09
by DrFrankenstone
Yes, the important topics...

firefox wrote:BEST MOD EVAAA!!!111!!!1!!!11

no really, i like it. the shapes and formations are awesome.


A cultured person of refined taste, I see! ;)

More seriously, thanks :), there was some effort put into the shapes and formations.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 17:48
by Astrobe
Linuxdirk wrote:
Astrobe wrote:configuration section at the top of the file (which could easily be put in a separate file).

... which easily be put in settingtypes.txt to make configuration independent from code for easier updating when changing the configuration.


I tend to overlook that feature because as a game maker, there's not a single mod I use in my game that I didn't have to edit in order to change a recipe, remove or change a feature, or add a feature. To me this separation is more an annoying than helpful.

I would trade any day the settings GUI for a mod with a consistent organization; for instance one file with the recipes, one file for the parameters, one file with the feature implementations.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 17:58
by Linuxdirk
Astrobe wrote:I would trade any day the settings GUI for a mod with a consistent organization; for instance one file with the recipes, one file for the parameters, one file with the feature implementations.

I usually do this. init.lua is for initialization (global table for passing around parameters and functions), functions go in single files within a system directory and being dofile'd in init.lua, same with node creation, registration of the actual features of the mod, etc. This is an absolutely natural thing for me. I'd never stuff anything in init.lua and have hardcoded values there that make it impossible or hard to update the mod.

I always separate initialization, function, registration and configuration.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 13:32
by DrFrankenstone
New update - SkyTrees

Giant trees that can sometimes be found growing out of islands in the sky, large enough to support a tree house... or even a tree mansion.

Image

One of the rarest varieties - a blossom that glows. Bioluminescence can be disabled in the options if desired.
Image

Because it uses schematics there's currently only two tree shapes, but many varieties of trees made with them. Blossoms make beautiful screenshots, but they are not a common variety.

Image

Image

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 18:41
by Nathan.S
Oooh, that looks pretty.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 17:32
by voxelproof
DrFrankenstone wrote:New update - SkyTrees

Giant trees that can sometimes be found growing out of islands in the sky, large enough to support a tree house... or even a tree mansion.


This is it. With all my respect for moretrees,and Aotearoa which features the most awesome woods in MT, these trees are the most good-looking and naturally shaped, made with a good deal of aesthetic taste. Thanks for sharing them, I'll take a closer look at your heavenly mod then :)

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 09:20
by DrFrankenstone
voxelproof wrote:This is it. With all my respect for moretrees,and Aotearoa which features the most awesome woods in MT, these trees are the most good-looking and naturally shaped, made with a good deal of aesthetic taste. Thanks for sharing them, I'll take a closer look at your heavenly mod then :)


:D

to be fair, these trees are giant, which gives a voxel resolution advantage over the others.

They've worked well enough that I've been having some difficulty resisting the temptation to spam all the forum topics with screenshots every time I find something neat, instead of leaving things to be discovered. Perhaps spamming reddit and social media can satiate that.

Edit: Ignore this last paragraph, that work has been done...
However, as texmex points out, there's still some work to be done - the place_schematic() api call is buggy and can can leave trees half emerged. Adding schemtools support might solve this. So if you find any trees with pieces missing, that may get better.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24
by wziard
Very nice indeed. Though the fact that the practical view distance (due to the block send distance limit) make that I don't really see them emerge in the distance like I'd want to :-) (until after I have visited them, that is).

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 21:45
by jeremyericson
so i got the mod and it seemed to be there but i could not find any floating islands or anything :( why is that?

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 08:48
by DrFrankenstone
jeremyericson wrote:so i got the mod and it seemed to be there but i could not find any floating islands or anything :( why is that?


You may be in an area where islands aren't, also the default average altitude is 200 (unless you've adjusted it) which means they only get close to the ground in some places.

If you can fly, fly to an altitude of 200 then enabled fast mode, pick a direction and fly in that direction until you run into some.

If you can't fly, get binoculars.

You can also generate a map of where the islands will be using Amidst, below is an example - I'm wondering whether you were in one of those areas that don't have islands:

Image

If there really aren't any islands then there might be a clue in Minetest's debug log.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 01:26
by FreeGamers
DrFrankenstone, I really like your mod. This is a great biome addition!

I saw you appear and run around in the server I was running, Sara's Simple Survival Server, did you get a chance to check out your biomes? What'd you think?

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 04:21
by DrFrankenstone
heh, busted :), making a mod is one thing but I'd also like to figure out how things play on real servers.

I initially couldn't get on to Sara's Simple Survival Server, but you've changed that. Now I can get on, but there's still obstacles so I haven't managed to properly play it yet. After logging on I would quickly start dying for what appeared to be no reason - eventually figured out this Survival Server has a sanity system in place where you lose sanity in the dark (I connected at night time) but the textures for it are missing, so the sanity system was invisible to me. After that I thought I'll just make a torch and I'll be OK, then my torches burned out - which has never happened to me before - and I'm OMG survival isn't just going to be tea and biscuits on this server!

Unfortunately I also can't play long due to the connection (this might well the internet at my end - I haven't diagnosed it), but has meant I have to log out and back in after a while to get the game responsive again. If it's not using sofar's media server you could use that to improve connection times. I currently can't log in - it sticks at loading media.

I haven't had a chance to see much yet, but there is cool stuff happening on that server - like zombie bodies crawling toward me on the ground (I hadn't encountered Nathan's zombie mod before). I get the impression it's being curated and customized with direction, and still in progress.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 05:15
by FreeGamers
DrFrankenstone wrote:heh, busted :), making a mod is one thing but I'd also like to figure out how things play on real servers.

I initially couldn't get on to Sara's Simple Survival Server, but you've changed that. Now I can get on, but there's still obstacles so I haven't managed to properly play it yet. After logging on I would quickly start dying for what appeared to be no reason - eventually figured out this Survival Server has a sanity system in place where you lose sanity in the dark (I connected at night time) but the textures for it are missing, so the sanity system was invisible to me. After that I thought I'll just make a torch and I'll be OK, then my torches burned out - which has never happened to me before - and I'm OMG survival isn't just going to be tea and biscuits on this server!

Unfortunately I also can't play long due to the connection (this might well the internet at my end - I haven't diagnosed it), but has meant I have to log out and back in after a while to get the game responsive again. If it's not using sofar's media server you could use that to improve connection times. I currently can't log in - it sticks at loading media.

I haven't had a chance to see much yet, but there is cool stuff happening on that server - like zombie bodies crawling toward me on the ground (I hadn't encountered Nathan's zombie mod before). I get the impression it's being curated and customized with direction, and still in progress.


Right, I've been working on testing a ton of forum mods trying to incorporate a blend of mods that lead to a very interesting survival experience that is not so easy. I want it to have a good creative element too for players that can overcome the survival challenges and become a mainstay. The sanity bug was happening to a lot of people. I've disabled it for now, it happened after I edited some textures for it, that could be a HUDbars conflict or something. You figured out the sanity system. I need to nerf it a bit because its too aggressive. Its supposed to encourage heavy usage of lighting when underground and outside at night. Radiant ligh mod was included as well so you can wield a torch but then must juggle between swords to defend yourself and lights to defend your sanity and vision at night. I'm trying to find good gamey mechanics to include use them to expand and enhance the core gameplay a bit by creating challenge and reward loops. Light sources can't be too cheap either.

There may have been a password on the server when you were trying to connect and the .conf file may not have been updated in the server list. I've been playing around with mapgen and mods and am still working at creating a version I'm happy to publish and push. Thanks for checking it out. I was running a lot of mods at the time and the it may have been lagging due to poor mod optimizations. I've been trimming performance affecting mods. Nathan's zombie's mod was awesome. I was surprised it wasn't used more in MT servers. All I had to do was tweak some of the Lua and media files and it was a perfect mod apart from mobs being able to jump through window panes.

Its very much still in progress. In the last week I must have tested over 150 mods and thats not an exaggeration. Your mod will definitely be included in whatever the result comes out to be. Initially some of the comments about obfuscated code here worried me, but once I saw that was no longer an issue, I happily gave it a try. Cloudlands is really cool and really well done. In fact, I actually based my admin/testing-new-mods island on one of the islands because it let me test stuff away from the mainland in a sandbox. I'd like to use the lib_ecology mod with this at some point if its possible but we'll see what happens with that one. I'm trying to figure this out right now.

I've pulled the server from the server list currently while I do some development this weekend. I'll look into the media server you mentioned, but I've begun trimming media heavily. I had 96 skins and preview textures and about 20 ogg media songs at one point... Also, I think the Minecraft style item_drops may have been causing a lot of lag for people because it creates a lot of entities that must quickly be spawned and tracked?
Found it: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18951
I don't mind using a CDN for game textures as long as there aren't any privacy or other issues. Thanks for the reference. I'll bookmark it and check it out asap.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 16:59
by CalebJ
Very nicely done, the huge trees are awesome.

Re: [Mod] Hallelujah Mountains [cloudlands]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 00:40
by Wuzzy
The mod is currently broken if combined with MCL2 (version 0.53.4). Lots of the floating islands will have all the tree species at once, which looks awkward.

The mod also crashes if you use it in mapgen v6, or when no biomes are registered.