[mod] 62 underground biomes! [1.2.2] [underch]

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: [mod] 62 underground biomes! [1.1.3] [underch]

by Hume2 » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 16:26
really love the variation in rocks , this is a must have mod . it really sets the world apart from the vanilla MC look .
now if you can tell us how to disable the huge mass of lava that decends from the sky every time i load it ,this would be most appreciated . i checked the functions but i have no idea what part of the code to change to stop it bieng triggered .
Thanks. Can you please provide me the mapgen settings together with seed in which it happen? And what other mods are you using?
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Hume2 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 19:30
Wed Oct 28, 2020 16:26
really love the variation in rocks , this is a must have mod . it really sets the world apart from the vanilla MC look .
now if you can tell us how to disable the huge mass of lava that decends from the sky every time i load it ,this would be most appreciated . i checked the functions but i have no idea what part of the code to change to stop it bieng triggered .
Thanks. Can you please provide me the mapgen settings together with seed in which it happen? And what other mods are you using?
hello there thanks for responding
was hoping ThorfinnS who was kind enough to post was on the right track but nope its not pyramids .
happens on all seeds ,i have been through the list of mods 3-4 times and just can not suss which one is triggering it,
the is a pig of a mod launcher to work with
i am used to a simple front end where it easy to swap the load order,with a section for the main mods ,commonly used and then the test and depends so they are easy to keep track of .along with a save function
its a long list of mods to check and the event does not occur always at the start and i have an inkling that at times the lava was just below the surface as i could hear it when i was checking out your geology

i have tried to list the refrences to underch
does any of this shed a light on whats occuring ?

2020-10-29 20:14:55: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "advtrains" accessed at ...Files\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\underch/stone.lua:150

2020-10-29 20:16:20: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Assignment to undeclared global "dirs" inside a function at ...s\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\underch/functions.lua:103.

2020-10-29 20:16:20: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Assignment to undeclared global "dirs_c" inside a function at ...s\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\underch/functions.lua:104.

2020-10-29 20:16:26: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Undeclared global variable "alt" accessed at ...s\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\underch/functions.lua:152
2020-10-29 20:16:26: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Undeclared global variable "alt" accessed at ...s\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\underch/functions.lua:157
2020-10-29 20:16:26: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Undeclared global variable "alt" accessed at ...s\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\underch/functions.lua:162
2020-10-29 20:16:26: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Undeclared global variable "alt" accessed at ...s\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\underch/functions.lua:167
2020-10-29 20:16:26: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Undeclared global variable "alt" accessed at ...s\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods

any joy ?
if not i will just keep reloading till i suss out what little blighters giving the grief.
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Thu Oct 29, 2020 22:17
hello there thanks for responding
was hoping ThorfinnS who was kind enough to post was on the right track but nope its not pyramids .
happens on all seeds ,i have been through the list of mods 3-4 times and just can not suss which one is triggering it,
the is a pig of a mod launcher to work with
i am used to a simple front end where it easy to swap the load order,with a section for the main mods ,commonly used and then the test and depends so they are easy to keep track of .along with a save function
its a long list of mods to check and the event does not occur always at the start and i have an inkling that at times the lava was just below the surface as i could hear it when i was checking out your geology

i have tried to list the refrences to underch
does any of this shed a light on whats occuring ?
any joy ?
if not i will just keep reloading till i suss out what little blighters giving the grief.
The warnings were reported earlier and they aren't relevant to this issue. You can copy there the full list of mods you use and I will look also.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Hume2 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 06:39
The warnings were reported earlier and they aren't relevant to this issue. You can copy there the full list of mods you use and I will look also.
really appreciate your offer to help, but got there in the end.
its mg villages , handle schematics and also wuzzys pyramids and treasures which i rechecked after removing the others .
its was handle schematics that was catching me out .
that is the main culprit .
this is the first time i have had any prefab buildings in the mix
and they really do add a lot more to the gameplay than i expected ,
so i hope we can solve these conflicts so these mods can go on the recommended list as compatible .

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Interesting. We updated both [pyramids] and [tsm_pyramids], and aren't running into problems with falling lava anymore, even when they do spawn in the sky. Maybe they added a floor under the lava to prevent it from just running out the bottom instead of counting on whatever was under the pyramid to be sufficient? Don't know. Seems to have mostly fixed the excess treasure, though diamond pickaxes are way too common, IMO.

And we use [handle_schematics], but with [ships_on_mapgen]. Used to include [basic_houses], but haven't put that back in since we got up and going again. Again, no lava.

I have no idea about [mg_villages]. It was a cool idea, but with whatever mapgen we used at the time (v7, I think) it was having trouble finding a place to set the village. You would get to the edge of town and there would be a cliff 20, 50, 100 or more high where the mod had cleared out the mapgen in order to get a flat spot.

Anyway, we use [underch] (though not [uchu]) and a whole mess of others. /mods goes on for 7 lines. Is there a way to echo that to debug.txt or something? Hate to type all that in...

cuthbertdoublebarrel

ThorfinnS wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 19:46
Interesting. We updated both [pyramids] and [tsm_pyramids], and aren't running into problems with falling lava anymore,
And we use [handle_schematics], but with [ships_on_mapgen]. Used to include [basic_houses], but haven't put that back in since we got up and going again. Again, no lava.
thanks for the input

you are correct something else is also triggering the event .
the villages have working furnaces so maybe that is the trigger there , but there is somthing triggering the lava much higher up that i have been missing .
I also notice that stairs is still causing paleotest and underch to conflict
for now i am going to mess around with villages a bit more as they are new to me . see if they are really worth keeping in the mix ,

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

I fixed the bug with advtrains dependency and one other bug which appeared only in some Minetest versions. I'm going to release version 1.1.4 soon, just to deploy four bugfixes.

HighPopes
GitHub: HighPopes

by HighPopes » Post

Can you / have you added pockets of default:stone back into the world? Techage and technic I believe need default stone. I'm not sure which biome the stone texture would fit nicely in. If there is default stone accessable already how do I find it? I've been mining dungeons cause I'm to lazy to readd the crafting recipes after an update.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

HighPopes wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 17:09
Can you / have you added pockets of default:stone back into the world? Techage and technic I believe need default stone. I'm not sure which biome the stone texture would fit nicely in. If there is default stone accessable already how do I find it? I've been mining dungeons cause I'm to lazy to readd the crafting recipes after an update.
If you enable the mod stonetechnic from uchu, you will be able to use any kind of stone to craft the stuff from technic mod. If you do need the default stone, let's say for decoration, you can enable the mod gravelcraft and then you will be able to grind the underch stone to stone dust and then bake it to default stone.

If you use any mod which requires "default:stone" or "default:cobble", you can change it manually to "group:smoothstone" or "group:cobble" respectively. The underch stones are supposed to replace the default stone completely so don't be afraid to make such changes if the mod doesn't support it.

HighPopes
GitHub: HighPopes

by HighPopes » Post

Now that i thought about it, I like the replacing of default stone. Techage has compressed gravel that can be smelted into default:stone. The replacing makes the recipe useful.

I've do have uchu and technic plus. Maybe the strategy is technic then techage. I'll have to do some research. But that might work. Iron is locked behind the melting pot which needs default stone but maybe the recipes line up. If not, I'll just add the few lines of code again.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

I would think that by far the easiest way to deal with it would be to add your own mod with a craft recipe for turning group:cobble to default:cobble. Ideally, though, that recipe should probably be in [underch] to make it play nicely with everyone else's mods.

I'm guessing we didn't run into the problem because the handful of cases where we need default:stone were covered by a tool recycling mod one of the students made a couple years ago. Stone axes and picks could be put in the furnace to recover 3 default:stone, hoes and shovels for 2 and 1 respectively.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

There is [uchu] to solve compatibility issues. I separated it from the main mod because solving all these issues would lead into adding a lot of bloat. I can add a mod to uchu which would enable crafting default stone from any kind of underch stone. I don't like this solution much, because the relation between crafting input and output should be "can be used to craft a" and not "is a". I personally wouldn't enable it unless a mod couldn't do without it in any way and there would be no other way to get the default stone.

If you make a mod which can resolve any incompatibility of underch and any other mod, feel free to contribute to uchu.

ThorfinnS

Re: [mod] 62 underground biomes! [1.1.4] [underch]

by ThorfinnS » Post

Ah, shoot! Lava from the skies again. Not from any of the pyramids for sure, since they aren't even on those machines. Usually quite uncommon, though. Happened after about an hour of running around this time, but it was several days on the other server, and a couple weeks on the other. No, I don't know how many people were on the others at a time, nor how many blocks got generated, but one of the players left me a note with the coordinates, and sure enough.

The only place I can see "default:lava_source" being placed in the mods folder is in [underch]. The other uses are not placing, but checks, spawn conditions for things like [nssm], and heat sources for furnace-like items. And the servers that don't have [underch] have no reported cases, though neither did the [underch] servers until they did.

Would the seed and coordinates help track this down, or are you using random?

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Screenshot upload not working. My end, probably.

seed = 7452374824015819250

position = -1030, 5.5, -31

[EDIT]
Using fresh clone of [underch], and fresh download of 5.3.0. Minetest game, plus [underch] ONLY.
[/EDIT]

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

ThorfinnS wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 21:03
Screenshot upload not working. My end, probably.

seed = 7452374824015819250

position = -1030, 5.5, -31

[EDIT]
Using fresh clone of [underch], and fresh download of 5.3.0. Minetest game, plus [underch] ONLY.
[/EDIT]
Try to compress the screenshot, either convert it to jpg or scale it down.
It looks like I can't reproduce it using Minetest 5.2.0.
EDIT: I tried it in Minetest 5.3.0 and the result is the same.
Attachments
screenshot_20201117_102902.jpg
screenshot_20201117_102902.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

I think I'm standing right on the point near the center of your screenshot, in one shot, looking straight at that island in your lower right corner.

[EDIT]
Yeah, we are at the same location. That vein of sichamine in both our screenshots is a dead giveaway.
[/EDIT]

Looking at the three sets of screenshots I have, it looks like in every case, there's a sky island. I thought it had something to do with computer speed generating the chunks, since most of the machines are either i3s or i5s, and had not come up on any of the faster machines yet, but this example was on my desktop i7 with an SSD.
Attachments
screenshot_20201115_135907.jpg
screenshot_20201115_135907.jpg (628.25 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
screenshot_20201115_135931.jpg
screenshot_20201115_135931.jpg (655.17 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

ThorfinnS wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 16:45
I think I'm standing right on the point near the center of your screenshot, in one shot, looking straight at that island in your lower right corner.

[EDIT]
Yeah, we are at the same location. That vein of sichamine in both our screenshots is a dead giveaway.
[/EDIT]

Looking at the three sets of screenshots I have, it looks like in every case, there's a sky island. I thought it had something to do with computer speed generating the chunks, since most of the machines are either i3s or i5s, and had not come up on any of the faster machines yet, but this example was on my desktop i7 with an SSD.
Out of curiosity, what is on top of these lava bodies? And how high are they? Can you fly on the top and take a screenshot from there?
Go to worldgen.lua and change "default:lava" to any other node, for example "default:obsidian". Will anything change?

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Here's a couple screenshots of different games, one with a view from above, but as you an see, there's a lot of other mods involved in them. I don't know if I'll go back this evening to log into the computer this is on. Might be tomorrow, though if I have time, I'll try.

Sorry there's no debug info on them. I'll see if the games still exist, or if they've been deleted already.

[EDIT]
Oh, I guess there was debug on the second one. The top had been scrolled off in my graphics program when I converted. As you can see, the top one was 19 minutes into the game, the bottom 3:42.
[/EDIT]
Attachments
screenshot_20201114_132859.jpg
screenshot_20201114_132859.jpg (637.43 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
screenshot_20201113_015949.jpg
screenshot_20201113_015949.jpg (672.44 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Mostly they are just flat tops. Sometimes there's stuff sticking through, like you see in the one shot.

I've replaced the lava source with sichamine lamp. Won't be quite as easy to see, except at night. But so far we have about 9 man-hours on different games without another lavafall.

This last one looks like the top is 125, the bottom is sea level, and it goes from about -1872 to -1952 one direction, 128 to 48 the other.
Attachments
screenshot_20201117_155159.jpg
screenshot_20201117_155159.jpg (486.83 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

ThorfinnS wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 23:28
Mostly they are just flat tops. Sometimes there's stuff sticking through, like you see in the one shot.

I've replaced the lava source with sichamine lamp. Won't be quite as easy to see, except at night. But so far we have about 9 man-hours on different games without another lavafall.

This last one looks like the top is 125, the bottom is sea level, and it goes from about -1872 to -1952 one direction, 128 to 48 the other.
So if I understand it well, if you change lava to sichamine lamp, the lavafalls disappear completely and there aren't even any sichamine lamp areas, not even in the seed in which you told me that the lavafall always appears. Well, maybe there is only a single layer of lava on the top. That way, there would be only a single layer of sichamine lamps. Remember where the lavafall starts and then look if you see sichamine lamps there.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

I didn't think this would work, because while math.random() returns the same sequence of numbers, unless you play it out exactly the same way, it won't put that series to the same use. So if one starts the game and chops out three leaf blocks, that's the first three random numbers gone to determining if you get a sapling. If you move, those same three numbers will be applied to generating new mapchunks instead. If you want things to generate exactly the same way a second time, you have to assure the seed into math.random is the same. I've seen a mod somewhere that does this. Maybe something from Sokomine, I'm thinking? [basic_houses], maybe?

I'll try it, but I suspect I'll find what you did -- nothing special there. It's what I've found to be the case before. The sky won't be filled with lamps. Whatever combination of random number and specific conditions caused that block to generate as it did won't exist.

In addition to changing the block, I've also added some logging, and I'll see how many hours it takes to find another example, and then see what shows up in debug.txt

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

ThorfinnS wrote: If you want things to generate exactly the same way a second time, you have to assure the seed into math.random is the same. I've seen a mod somewhere that does this. Maybe something from Sokomine, I'm thinking? [basic_houses], maybe?
That's something every mapgen mod that wants to use some additional randomness has to take care of. The seed for the pseudorandom generator can be derived from the coordinates as passed on to register_on_generated.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Germain

by Germain » Post

This is a great mod, works finie with Minetest Server 5.4.

Do you know what is the best way to reduce the quantity of nodes?
I would like disable some stones, hope this will reduce the amount of node.

Do you know how to know how many node are registered? when the server is started.
And, how this mod (or another) trying to register.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Germain wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:59
This is a great mod, works finie with Minetest Server 5.4.

Do you know what is the best way to reduce the quantity of nodes?
I would like disable some stones, hope this will reduce the amount of node.

Do you know how to know how many node are registered? when the server is started.
And, how this mod (or another) trying to register.
The most of nodes are created by moreblocks, I assume that you use that mod. To reduce the count of nodes, it would be a good choice to limit the nodes registered using moreblocks. One possibility is that you look into the file functions.lua, see the function `underch.functions.register_stairs` and change its behaviour in a way so less nodes are registred. If you clear the body of this function completely, there will be no nodes registered using moreblocks. Another possibility is that you look where the function `underch.functions.register_stairs` is called and you delete it at the places where you don't want additional nodes to be registered using moreblocks.

To get the count of registered nodes, you can do for example this:

Code: Select all

local function mylength(table)
	local foo = 0
	for _ in pairs(table) do foo = foo + 1 end
	return foo
end

print(mylength(minetest.registered_nodes))
Make sure to call it after all mods are loaded.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Wow, this is a gorgeous mod!
I'm wondering if there is any incompatibility withPedology mod by Wuzzy?
cdb_894a100ddd76