[Modpack] Home Decor [git] [homedecor_modpack]

Heraclitus

Re: [Modpack] Home Decor [git] [homedecor_modpack]

by Heraclitus » Post

Thank you for your quick response. As I said, I generally agree with the philosophy behind your changes (and I can understand the anti-Microsoft philosophy) -- it's just not very easy for someone to figure out what's going on unless they follow forums or IRC or whatever. I'm just trying to play a game with my son. As I mentioned, I've been burned before in blindly updating mods, so I tend to only try to update when a new version of Minetest comes out or every six months or so. And so when stuff breaks, I have to spend time tracking down what happened. (Given that I'm using about 50 mods, this is not always straightforward.)

I'm sorry about whatever has happened with the Minetest mods team, but I do wish there were some way of clueing people in that those versions are no longer necessarily the up-to-date mods without having people dig into forum posts. I was really thrilled at the concept of the collected mods team, which I thought might bring some consistency and guaranteed compatibility, so I'm sorry to hear it's not working anymore.

Clearly, given a lot of people you've had to tell this to lately, I'm not the only one who is having difficulty with this. At a minimum, might I suggest that you put a note in the initial posts of your major mods that the Minetest mods versions are not necessarily up-to-date anymore and that people should use Gitlab? (Ideally, it should be flagged in the Minetest-mods versions themselves, but if you have no control over them, I don't know what to say.) It might at least save you some time in replying to people who are accidentally using out-of-date versions. I know for myself since the Minetest mods team came into existence, I've been going there first for updates and only visiting forum posts for links to mods that aren't listed there.
None of my mods depend on "unstable" or "developer" builds of Minetest.
I'm glad to hear it. At some point there were some mods (maybe ones where you're not the primary maintainer; I don't know) that were running out-of-sync with the stable version of MT. Maybe you didn't make those decisions, but I saw a couple posts from you last year that were clarifying that those common mods didn't always conform to the stable version. (I think it popped up in dyes or something.) In any case, that's not relevant to the present discussion, and I'm glad to know that your mods will work with the stable MT version. (I note that the Technic first post declares that it may not always work with the stable version, but if you have no control over that, I'm truly sorry to have associated you with that.)
Mixing mods from various repositories works just fine, as long as what you're running is current/up-to-date.
Except it doesn't. That's why I posted here in the first place. I ended up with a problem because an outdated version of HomeDecor and/or Currency available in GitHub (minetest-mods) made the soda machine in Home Decor non-functional. The Currency mod at GitHub still doesn't contain support for the Minegeld coins. You can I suppose argue that the version at GitHub is not "current/up-to-date," except I have no way of knowing that based on simply updating from that repository. So in that case, downloading the most current versions from different repositories does NOT work.

Again, I know this may not be your problem, and now I know that your mods need to be downloaded from elsewhere. I just do wish the corresponding versions at minetest-mods were flagged somehow if not deleted entirely if they're not going to be maintained.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Heraclitus wrote:So in that case, downloading the most current versions from different repositories does NOT work.
Isn't this a case where you were downloading an outdated version, not the most current one?
But yeah, I feel you there, the github -> gitlab switch bit me too.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sadly, we lost several weeks of forum content due to a hardware failure... I was not able to pull anything useful from Google Cache or Wayback Machine to restore the missing content on my threads, so here's a rewrite of my last major Home Decor post, from memory... :-P

Just recently, Home Decor went through what I've taken to calling The Big Split. All of its various components have been turned into semi-independent mods of their own, according to item category (lighting, furniture, laundry, kitchen, bathroom, and so on). This makes it trivial to load only a few things from Home Decor if that's all you want. Big thanks goes to TenPlus1 for splitting the wardrobe into its own mod.

The handlers, API, and internationalization stuff have been combined into a new mod also, homedecor_common. For the most part, this is the only thing from Home Decor that the new mods depend on, besides building_blocks. Also any models or media used by more than one other mod can be found here.

The remains of the big blob, i.e. that which didn't seem to fit elsewhere, became homedecor_misc.

If you have a mod that depends on the former all-in-one homedecor blob, it'll need updated to depend on the specific Home Decor components it actually needs.

In your world config, simply re-enable the entire modpack, to avoid missing content.

Also building_blocks got a new-ish marble texture, all "lamp" and "lantern" items have "light" in their descriptions (for easier searching in Unified Inventory and sfinv), and there have been some minor bugfixes here and there.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Quick update:
  • A new light has been added: "rope" lighting (you know, those soft tubes/hoses filled with LEDs or small light bulbs). Two variants exist - on-floor, and on-ceiling. Placing one forms a little square, but multiple lights placed adjacent connects them together (they're connected nodeboxes, like MT 5.x fence rails).
  • Many light sources can now be turned on/off by right-clicking on them, and they will respond to Mesecons signals, if the mod is present. All lights default to "on" when placed, and will remain "on" until turned off by right-click or by a Mesecons signal, if that light has received a signal change at least once already.
  • Table- and standing lamps change brightness as before on right-click, and will now respond to Digilines messages as well, if that mod is present. "off", "low", "med", "hi", "max" are supported; any other message is ignored. Set the Digilines channel by sneak-punching the lamp (i.e. shift-punch).
  • Rope lighting functions as a Mesecons conductor, thus behaving like a standard Mesecons wire, with altered connection rules. Powering one end of a long, complex string of rope lights will turn the whole string on, and will power whatever's on the other end, also.
  • The wall light switch actually works now, by sending a Mesecons signal (it behaves like a Mesecons wall lever, just looks like a pair push-buttons). Its a little glitchy, but it works.
  • Mesecons and Digilines wire connection rules vary by item type - whatever makes sense for each kind. Some will connect from all sides, some only from the top, some only from their X/Z sides, etc. The connection rules for the ceiling rope light are a little funky, but they work.
In other news, lrfurn is dead, long live lrfurn :-)
  • A new mod has been created: homedecor_seating
  • All of Home Decor's chairs, benches, etc that I could think of have been moved from their respective mods to the new one.
  • The lrfurn mod has been split apart - its tables have been moved into the homedecor_tables mod, and the chair and sofas added to the new seating mod.
  • Since this left lrfurn empty, it has been deleted.
Be sure you enable tables and seating if you want those items to remain in your world. The node names are unchanged, for backward compatibility. Mod authors: if your mod depends on lrfurn, make it depend on homedecor_tables and/or homedecor_seating instead.

Finally, all doors use minetest_game's doors mod API now. Less code duplication, and their code is more reliable than mine.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Quick update: Homedecor now "3d-ifies" minetest_game wood and steel doors and trapdoors, via the existing homedecor_3d_extras mod, to give them some "substance" (as opposed to looking like glass painted only on the player-facing sides... :-P ).

In the name of reducing how much media a given server has to send (or singleplayer has to load), and of style consistency, all of Home Decor's own door models have been moved to that mod also.

So, if you want the 3d style doors, just enable the 3d extras mod (which of course also affects bookshelves and vessels, as before). Without it, all of Home Decor's and minetest_game's doors will remain flat like they'd normally be (though things like alpha and backface culling are retained).

Starbeamrainbowlabs
GitHub: sbrl

by Starbeamrainbowlabs » Post

Hey!

Just seen your latest post here about 3D models for doors. It sounds great! I can't help but think that it's very similar to this mod though: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22645

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yep, there's some similarity, but if the commit log is accurate, I beat that one by a bit over one day. Besides, my models look better, in my not so humble opinion. :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Small update: most light sources mentioned previously that are Digilines-capable are now dimmable, too, just like the table and standing lamps. Plus, they all accept number values as well. The plasma ball and rope lighting are the only ones that are not dimmable now; the former just doesn't seem to make sense, while the latter isn't Digilines-capable anyways.

All controllable lights will now respond to "off" or 0, "low" or 1-3 for their lowest setting, "med" or 3-7, "hi" or 8-11, or "max", "on", or 12-14 for their highest setting. If a light is not dimmable, it'll turn off with "off", "low", or a number less than 4, or on with any of those other messages.

Table and standing lamps will no longer cycle through their five brightness levels on-right-click -- they'll just turn on or off, like everything else. If there's enough demand for it, I could add it back in, but I don't see a use in it myself (though I only dropped that feature for the sake of consistency).

Also, I've moved the medieval torch and wall lamp to homedecor_lighting and made the latter controllable (Mesecons and Digilines like most of the other lights, but only on/off like the plasma ball and rope lights, as dimmable doesn't seem to make sense for it).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Another update: to avoid item name confusion and make things a little less vague, all doors got some renaming treatment. The "bedroom" door is now a "basic panel" door. The "woodglass2" door, i.e. with the semicircle glass insert at the top, is now a Carolina door. It took me this long to realize that the oak, white, and mahogany "wood_glass" doors are actually French doors (I didn't know that when I made them originally), so they've been renamed accordingly as well.

All other normal-sized Home Decor doors (but not the "half" doors) have been renamed to insert "homedecor_" into their node names, for the sake of keeping them as distinct as possible.

Aliases have been added, so everything in-world and in-inventory should translate over without issue, though the craft recipes and the recently-added conversion LBM still use the old names. Those can be fixed later, since the aliases should handle those as well.

HDX users: the relevant textures have been renamed.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yet another update: rather than rounding to one of the previously-mentioned five levels, all dimmable Home Decor lights can now take on any arbitrary brightness 0 to 14, like the dimmable lights in cheapie's Digistuff mod.

Those five levels are still accepted if desired; "off" equates to 0 of course, "low" = 3, "med" = 7, "hi" = 11, and "max" or "on" = 14.

Some lights will vary their texture(s) in response to brightness, for added effect, and as before, most lights will "go dark" when turned off.

Non-dimmable lights remain unchanged ("off" or a number < 4; "on" or a number > 3).

I also simplified the Mesecons/Digilines connectivity rules: what was "xz-only" or "toponly" is now all-directional, like a Mesecons lightstone, and rope lights are all-directional now, as well (though while they'll take a signal from above or below, they won't visually extend up/down to reach that wire).

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

I decided to update the mods on my servers for the first time in two months. When intllib is installed alongside homedecor_modpack, the following crash happens:
2019-06-05 01:38:20: [Main]: Automatically selecting world at [(REMOVED)/bin/../worlds/world]
2019-06-05 01:38:20: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "intllib" accessed at ...game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/intllib.lua:26
2019-06-05 01:38:20: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
2019-06-05 01:38:20: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from (REMOVED)/bin/../games/minetest_game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/init.lua:
2019-06-05 01:38:20: ERROR[Main]: ...game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/intllib.lua:26: attempt to index global 'intllib' (a nil value)
2019-06-05 01:38:20: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-06-05 01:38:20: ERROR[Main]: ...game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/intllib.lua:26: in main chunk
2019-06-05 01:38:20: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
2019-06-05 01:38:20: ERROR[Main]: ...st_game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/init.lua:10: in main chunk
Removing intllib from the mods directory allows the server to start.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Another update: to avoid item name confusion and make things a little less vague, all doors got some renaming treatment. The "bedroom" door is now a "basic panel" door. The "woodglass2" door, i.e. with the semicircle glass insert at the top, is now a Carolina door. It took me this long to realize that the oak, white, and mahogany "wood_glass" doors are actually French doors (I didn't know that when I made them originally), so they've been renamed accordingly as well.

All other normal-sized Home Decor doors (but not the "half" doors) have been renamed to insert "homedecor_" into their node names, for the sake of keeping them as distinct as possible.

Aliases have been added, so everything in-world and in-inventory should translate over without issue, though the craft recipes and the recently-added conversion LBM still use the old names. Those can be fixed later, since the aliases should handle those as well.

HDX users: the relevant textures have been renamed.
Tons of items don't seem to be aliased and are unknown items blocking open spaces, including:

* homedecor:door_wood_glass_white_left
* homedecor:door_wood_glass_white_right
* homedecor:door_exterior_fancy_left
* homedecor:door_exterior_fancy_right
* homedecor:door_wood_glass_mahogany_left
* homedecor:door_wood_glass_mahogany_right

Also, "homedecor:wall_lamp" isn't aliased, and neither is the plasma lamp.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Tons of items don't seem to be aliased and are unknown items blocking open spaces, including:
(six doors nodes)
This should be fixed now.
Er, both of these have appropriate aliases:

Code: Select all

minetest.register_alias("homedecor:plasma_lamp",               "homedecor:plasma_lamp_14")
minetest.register_alias("homedecor:plasma_lamp_max",           "homedecor:plasma_lamp_14")
[...]
minetest.register_alias("homedecor:wall_lamp",                 "homedecor:wall_lamp_14")
minetest.register_alias("homedecor:wall_lamp_max",             "homedecor:wall_lamp_14")
What node names are in your map?

Be sure you update Home Decor to HEAD (commit bde2bf2b) first.
2019-06-05 01:38:20: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "intllib" accessed at ...game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/intllib.lua:26
Looks to me like your copy of intlib is just outdated?

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

VanessaE wrote:
(six doors nodes)
This should be fixed now.
Er, both of these have appropriate aliases:

minetest.register_alias("homedecor:plasma_lamp",               "homedecor:plasma_lamp_14")
minetest.register_alias("homedecor:plasma_lamp_max",           "homedecor:plasma_lamp_14")
[...]
minetest.register_alias("homedecor:wall_lamp",                 "homedecor:wall_lamp_14")
minetest.register_alias("homedecor:wall_lamp_max",             "homedecor:wall_lamp_14")
What node names are in your map?

Be sure you update Home Decor to HEAD (commit bde2bf2b) first.
I updated to the latest but it doesnt make a difference, the doors I mentioned are still replaced with unknown items.

Also, "homedecor:wall_lamp" and "homedecor:plasma_lamp" are unknown items, when you remove and replace them, the new items are "homedecor:wall_lamp_on" and "homedecor:plasma_lamp_on"
Looks to me like your copy of intlib is just outdated?
Using the latest version from 2017: https://github.com/minetest-mods/intllib
Did the URL move since then?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I updated to the latest but it doesnt make a difference, the doors I mentioned are still replaced with unknown items.
Sounds like the LBM has already been run once on some mapblocks, or maybe I forgot to git push that last change. No biggie. Try updating again. That LBM should run one more time.
Also, "homedecor:wall_lamp" and "homedecor:plasma_lamp" are unknown items, when you remove and replace them, the new items are "homedecor:wall_lamp_on" and "homedecor:plasma_lamp_on"
If you're seeing this, it means you're not running up-to-date code (maybe you updated, but didn't ensure Minetest was loading it?). "_on" lighting nodes and nodes without a suffix are simply not defined at all, but are aliased to defined nodes suffixed with "_14" (and "_off" nodes to "_0"). If you place an "_on" lamp and then point at it while F5 debug is shown, it should show "_14". Or maybe I've made a typo somewhere?

If you're running Dreambuilder, update that too.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Sounds like the LBM has already been run once on some mapblocks, or maybe I forgot to git push that last change. No biggie. Try updating again. That LBM should run one more time.
If you're seeing this, it means you're not running up-to-date code (maybe you updated, but didn't ensure Minetest was loading it?). "_on" lighting nodes and nodes without a suffix are simply not defined at all, but are aliased to defined nodes suffixed with "_14" (and "_off" nodes to "_0"). If you place an "_on" lamp and then point at it while F5 debug is shown, it should show "_14". Or maybe I've made a typo somewhere?

I just updated again to e6dc2c55 and still having the exact same problems.

What do you mean by "up to date code"? I'm running Minetest v5.0.1, do I need to use an unstable version for homedecor to work? (I've never heard of Dreambuilder.)

Also, is the 2017 version of intllib not the latest?

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

redblade7 wrote:
VanessaE wrote:

I just updated again to e6dc2c55 and still having the exact same problems.

What do you mean by "up to date code"? I'm running Minetest v5.0.1, do I need to use an unstable version for homedecor to work? (I've never heard of Dreambuilder.)

I am completely confused. How do you "run an LBM"? Was there something I was supposed to do rather than just replace homedecor_modpack in the mods directory with the new one? I tried putting the old version (from April 3) back, but now all the cube lights are unknown items, so I have to restore the original server backup prior to upgrading. That will take some time.

And what is this non-"up to date code"? Do I need the unstable version of Minetest to use the revamped homedecor?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What do you mean by "up to date code"?
Oh, I meant the mods, sorry. The engine just needs to be recent - 5.0.0 or 5.0.1 release, etc.
I don't know, but the code in Home Decor that uses intllib hasn't been changed in quite some time. File an issue for this one; I'll pass it on to Kaeza, as intllib is his department.
I am completely confused. How do you "run an LBM"?
That's something the engine does on its own if a mod requests it (to convert old doors, in this case). I just have to remember to change its name whenever something new is added to its list of nodes to be converted, to get the engine to re-run it. It's nothing you have to mess with.

Anyway, I think I've fixed the lamps and doors for real this time. More bad/missing aliases again - but this time, I dug into my backup drive and brought up old copies of my test world, and mods from the same date, to find the source of the bug and test my gixes.

Everything should be good now. Please update Home Decor again (now at commit 80ab1271, taged 2019-06-06-3).

Sorry for the confusion. :-)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

With 80ab1271, I now have no problems, except:

I have to remove intllib or the game still crashes with:
2019-06-06 14:06:47: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "intllib" accessed at ...game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/intllib.lua:26
2019-06-06 14:06:47: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
2019-06-06 14:06:47: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from (REMOVED)/bin/../games/minetest_game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/init.lua:
2019-06-06 14:06:47: ERROR[Main]: ...game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/intllib.lua:26: attempt to index global 'intllib' (a nil value)
2019-06-06 14:06:47: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-06-06 14:06:47: ERROR[Main]: ...game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/intllib.lua:26: in main chunk
2019-06-06 14:06:47: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
2019-06-06 14:06:47: ERROR[Main]: ...st_game/mods/homedecor_modpack/homedecor_common/init.lua:10: in main chunk
So far I've found unknown items for

* chains:chandelier

Are there any bad effects to removing intllib? I only speak English so I don't know what it affects.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Intllib's only purpose is to enable translations to other languages, but as I only speak English as well, I don't use it. I can't really debug that stuff if it breaks, hence pointing others at it instead. In any case, I dislike the notion of server-side translations anyways as such things force a given language onto everyone on the server, whether they want it or not. Translations, by nature, ought to be done client-side in my opinion, but I don't think that's possible yet.

So for now, file an issue on the gitlab repo.
chains:chandelier
I'll fix this one soonish. :-P
Fixed.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Intllib's only purpose is to enable translations to other languages, but as I only speak English as well, I don't use it. I can't really debug that stuff if it breaks, hence pointing others at it instead. In any case, I dislike the notion of server-side translations anyways as such things force a given language onto everyone on the server, whether they want it or not. Translations, by nature, ought to be done client-side in my opinion, but I don't think that's possible yet.

So for now, file an issue on the gitlab repo.
Filed as:
https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/homedecor_modpack/issues/17
chains:chandelier
I'll fix this one soonish. :-P
Fixed.
Thank you!

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Just a note Vanessa, with intllib removed, this is what happens to signs_lib:

EDIT: Actually this is an issue whether or not intllib is installed. That user hasn't logged on in years, but I'm pretty sure the original text didn't have this problem.

thedarkcave
In-game: thedarkcave

by thedarkcave » Post

I installed it, but there's a bunch of items missing. Like the tv, for example.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Then you didn't enable everything. Home Decor is divided into modules for different things i.e. electronics, seating, lighting, kitchen, bathroom, etc.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Hey there
I update yesterday to the latest git and have a few unknown nodes in the world:

minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 00:15:36: ERROR[Server]: Item "homedecor:door_wood_glass_white_left" not defined
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 00:15:39: ERROR[Server]: Item "homedecor:door_wood_plain_left" not defined
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 00:36:10: ERROR[Server]: Item "homedecor:door_wrought_iron_left" not defined
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 00:36:19: ERROR[Server]: Item "homedecor:door_exterior_fancy_left" not defined
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 11:23:51: ERROR[Server]: Item "stairs:slope_shingles_terracotta" not defined at position (5383,120,11119)
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 11:23:51: ERROR[Server]: Item "stairs:slope_shingles_terracotta" not defined at position (5382,120,11119)
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 11:23:52: ERROR[Server]: Item "stairs:slope_shingles_terracotta" not defined at position (5382,120,11119)
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 11:23:52: ERROR[Server]: Item "stairs:slope_shingles_terracotta" not defined at position (5382,120,11119)
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 12:24:24: ERROR[Server]: Item "homedecor:door_wood_glass_oak_left" not defined
minetest_1           | 2019-06-26 12:24:27: ERROR[Server]: Item "homedecor:door_wood_glass_oak_left" not defined
Great mod by the way :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)