GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: [mod] Bike for Minetest [bike]

by Hume2 » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
Hume2 wrote:model animation if anyone is willing to do that for me
Currently working on that.
Oh, thank you very much!
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

maxx
GitHub: maxhipp
In-game: maxx or max

Re: [mod] Bike for Minetest [1.0] [bike]

by maxx » Post

You could add a trial bike for jumping higher than 0.5 blocks (=> 1 block)
But I think it is a nice idea!
Stay safe! | Don't forget the planet

FiftySix
GitHub: BenjieFiftysix
In-game: fiftysix or 56

by FiftySix » Post

I am having the same problem I think AspireMint had. The player model goes into the ground, so the bike looks to big. The camera is still in the right place though. I think the first size looked better, but it was a little buggy when going through 1 wide spaces. Also, bikes are quite easy to move, so I think you should be able to pick the bike up without breaking it. Maybe a stack limit of 1 though.

Attachments
player too low for bike.png
player too low for bike.png (82.26 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

I think this is a 0.4 vs 0.5 issue. Player models are one of the ways 0.5 breaks compatibility, so please tell your version number.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

gpcf wrote:I think this is a 0.4 vs 0.5 issue. Player models are one of the ways 0.5 breaks compatibility, so please tell your version number.
The first post screenshot is from 5.0, so its possible the mod was made in 5.0 and therefore breaks in stable releases.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

I use 5.0 for mod development. I derived the mod from the MTG 0.4 stable release to make it compatible. MTG 0.4 doesn't have the player_api mod, which is used in MTG 5.0. However, I didn't think that this will cause issues. If you are having issues, change the player's position in init.lua at line 87, column 25-46. Play a bit with the values to find the optimal position.

For picking up bikes.
Pros:
  • Bikes aren't so heavy at all. All these stone and dirt blocks are much heavier and can be carried though.
  • Players don't need to craft a new bike each time they ride off the track.
  • Bikes can be carried by vehicles like trains or cars without the need of tweaking these mods.
Cons:
  • Bikes are getting overpowered on flatter areas because they ride fast and building a road is not as beneficial.
  • Placing vehicles into chest might look weird.
Compromise: When a standing bike is punched, it jumps 1-block-stair in 30% chance.
Pros:
  • Players don't need to craft another bike each time they ride off the track.
  • Bike can climb 1-block-stair but doing so is annoying.
Cons:
  • Bikes can be carried by vehicles like trains or cars only when the mod explicitly supports this mod.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

maybe bikes should go slower on dirt and become slow and unsteerable on sand. This would create more incentives to build roads.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

gpcf wrote:maybe bikes should go slower on dirt and become slow and unsteerable on sand. This would create more incentives to build roads.
Thanks for idea! The bikes could go far slower on group:crumbly, which mostly fixes all problems with bikes riding too fast in flat areas without roads. And if someone needed to override this behaviour (which is the case of field roads), there could be a group bike_friendly that overrides the group:crumbly thing.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Bikes now ride slower on group:crumbly, so players usually need to build a road first (unless they are on flat stone desert). Slabs work as roads too. (The minimum thickness of the road must be at least 1/20 of a blocks, so 1/16 desks from moreblocks work as well.) I'm not sure whether this should be a 1.0.1 release or not.

Now let's reconsider the pros and cons for picking up a bike.

Make bikes pickable and limit stack size to 1
Pros:
  • Bikes aren't so heavy at all. All these stone and dirt blocks are much heavier and can be carried though.
  • Players don't need to craft a new bike each time they ride off the track.
  • Bikes can be carried by vehicles like trains or cars without the need of tweaking these mods.
Cons:
  • Bikes are getting overpowered on flatter areas because they ride fast and building a road is not as beneficial.
  • Placing vehicles into chest might look weird.
Compromise: When a standing bike is punched, it jumps 1-block-stair in 30% chance. (Now it works also without the chance.)
Pros:
  • Players don't need to craft another bike each time they ride off the track.
  • Bike can climb 1-block-stair but doing so is annoying.
Cons:
  • Bikes can be carried by vehicles like trains or cars only when the mod explicitly supports this mod.
Keep it as is
Pros
  • Placing bikes in chests might look weird.
Cons:
  • Players need to craft a new bike each time they ride off the track.
  • There are much heavier blocks those can be carried, so why can't Sam carry a bike?

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Works fine :) Great mod. Is there a possibility to make the bike accelerate due to gravitation faster downhill on steep slopes? If so, my dream of riding down the huge mountain slopes is fulfilled at last. And I can see that now you're the most entitled modder to make the "ski" mod :)

Great thanks for your work. It opens a lot of new opportunities :)

EDIT:

The bike doesn't accelerate by itself downhill at all. It's a pity because all the joy when riding a mountain bike is that great part of biker's job is done by the gravitation :) And I think that you should definitely increase the height which makes falling off the bike.

However I simulated the more natural physics during the downhill ride using the auto-key function which allows to ride at full speed without the need of pressing the "W" key all the time. Great fun!
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

You could slow the bike down every time it climbs a node and speed up when it descends a node.
Love the mod btw
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

The starting point was at y>1000. I made it! I find especially amusing jumping over streams and narrow crevices. The present mechanics btw is quite realistic as far as mountain biking is concerned, it requires a lot of attention not to fall down from the bike. Many great thanks once again :)

There's a bug which makes impossible to catch the bike when it's submerged in water. I littered a few beautiful mountain streams with at least five bikes ;) And surprisingly the performance is much better in valleys mg than in flat -- in the latter I experienced serious troubles with "A" and "D" keys. The bike responded to the change of movement direction much too slowly up to the point of becoming not steerable.

Attachments
extreme.jpg
extreme.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Bike animation (and other changes) demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vts05XmOTr8

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

GreenDimond wrote:Bike animation (and other changes) demo:
Oh man we need this! I've always wanted to see smooth fancy animations in minetest!
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Stix wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:Bike animation (and other changes) demo:
Oh man we need this! I've always wanted to see smooth fancy animations in minetest!
https://gitlab.com/h2mm/bike/merge_requests/1

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Thank you very much, GreenDimond! That looks really nice. I'll test it a bit and merge.

voxelproof: Thank you for response! I'll look at that bug.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

I merged your merge request, thank you again! Maybe this will be the 1.1 release, I need to think a little.
For block-friendly-detection, there was a magic number that relied on the collisionbox. I fixed that, there is no magic number anymore.
For bike not mountable in water: I forgot to remove one artifact that allowed placing bikes on liquids. Note that the bike could be still mounted in water when not holding a bike. I removed this artifact, so it works fine now.
Attachments
screenshot_20180908_201339.jpg
screenshot_20180908_201339.jpg (118.24 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Hume2 wrote:I merged your merge request, thank you again! Maybe this will be the 1.1 release, I need to think a little.
For block-friendly-detection, there was a magic number that relied on the collisionbox. I fixed that, there is no magic number anymore.
For bike not mountable in water: I forgot to remove one artifact that allowed placing bikes on liquids. Note that the bike could be still mounted in water when not holding a bike. I removed this artifact, so it works fine now.
I've just checked out the version downloaded from Gitlab. The animation is perfect, that's all that I can say. (I'm a little surprised by this cause frankly I didn't believe that this sort of quality is achievable in Minetest). But there's apparently a serious bug: I got stuck on a snowy slope when hit the block of snow and I couldn't dismount the bike. Then I left the world to the main menu and returned to the world to find that my character didn't sit on bike anymore; however the bike was floating one node above the ground in the air with its wheels and pedals still rotating :D I realized the horror in full only when I unsuccesfully tried to destroy the bike (of course with the Shift key pressed). The prospect of leaving such a weird artifact in wonderful heavenly surroundings was so terrifying that I decided to take radical measures to fix this little disaster -- I disabled the bike mod and only then I could erase the "unknown block" from the landscape.

But aside this, the bike seems to be more steerable now than in previous version. Keep on, it's amazing and very promising mod and I will certainly play it even in its present state. And I hope that you'll add in the future versions downhill acceleration, it would really make it yet better :)

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

voxelproof wrote:But there's apparently a serious bug: I got stuck on a snowy slope when hit the block of snow and I couldn't dismount the bike.
Dismount has changed to shift.
Here are the changes I made:
(screenshot of pull request)

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

One small bug: The bike should not be able to turn while stopped.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

Just installed this mod on linuxworks, there are several bugs. Player skins get switched after riding, also, the bikes seem to be very hard to control.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Sorry to say this, but the mod (at least the latest unstable version) has a very serious and disqualifying bug: after disabling the mod and then enabling it again you cannot not only ride the bike, but also dig or place any nodes. This should come as a warning to potential users -- do not install it in the worlds where you have some important to you ongoing building projects :-) Thankfully taught by Dreambuilder I tested it in experimental world, so it didn't cause much disappointment. Edit: after disabling the mod again the digging/placing capabilities are retrieved.
Last edited by voxelproof on Mon Sep 10, 2018 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

gpcf wrote:One small bug: The bike should not be able to turn while stopped.
Bikes in real life can turn when stopped.
gpcf wrote:Just installed this mod on linuxworks, there are several bugs. Player skins get switched after riding, also, the bikes seem to be very hard to control.
The skins should be fine, what skin mod are you using? I will test to see what's going on.
EDIT: I have found a fix for this, I will be submitting a PR for this and other bug fixes later today.
The "hard to control" doesn't make sense, no one else has complained about that yet. More info please.
voxelproof wrote:Sorry to say this, but the mod (at least the latest unstable version) has a very serious and disqualifying bug: after disabling the mod and then enabling it again you cannot not only ride the bike, but also dig or place any nodes. This should come as a warning to potential users -- do not install it in the worlds where you have some important to you ongoing building projects :-) Thankfully teached by Dreambuilder I tested it in experimental world, so it didn't cause much disappointment. Edit: after disabling the mod again the digging/placing capabilities are retrieved.
This is an odd bug.
When you mount the bike, your hand is replaced with a 0 range hand so you cant interact with things while you are riding (realistic).
On dismount it is supposed to give your original hand back. I am unsure why this is affecting your digging abilities when disabled.
Last edited by GreenXenith on Sun Sep 09, 2018 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

We're using skinsdb. Maybe the hard to control happens due to lag, maybe the bike is just too fast for our narrow turns.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

gpcf wrote:We're using skinsdb. Maybe the hard to control happens due to lag, maybe the bike is just too fast for our narrow turns.
Hmm.
I might adjust the speed and see if I can get it a bit more controllable.

The skin bug I have tested and confirmed, it's the same thing that happens with 3d_armor. I have found a fix that works, but I will improve on later. I'll get a bug fix PR for this stuff submitted later today.