[Mod] Slow Eater [1.1.2] [sloweater]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Mod] Slow Eater [1.1.2] [sloweater]

by Wuzzy » Post

After eating something, the player must wait ca. 5 seconds before eating again.

Background: Food in Minetest is overpowered by default. It insta-heals you and the rate of eating is not limited. You can eat dozens of apples in a very short time and get back to full health almost instantly. By drastically lowering the rate of eating, game balance is restored.

This mod also adds an eating sound.

NOTE: This mod is incompatible with pretty much all other eating-related mods. Do not use this mod together with other eating mods, otherwise conflicts are very likely.

Download: Version 1.1.2
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri Jan 05, 2024 18:13, edited 5 times in total.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: [Mod] Slow Eater [1.0.0] [sloweater]

by Desour » Post

Why do you save the last eat time in player attributes? Isn't enough time bygone when the player joins? Just save the last eat times in a table. (And use the value from there or -math.huge.)
And get_attribute is deprecated, you should use player meta.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Why do you save the last eat time in player attributes?
It's the most reliable way.
Isn't enough time bygone when the player joins?
Maybe, maybe not. A player could bypass the 5 second timer by quickly rejoining.
And get_attribute is deprecated, you should use player meta.
Only in 5.0.0-dev. And if I use player meta, I lose compability with Minetest 0.4.17.1, i.e. latest stable.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

They could seriously use this over on CTF, and Skywars.
What is SCP-055?

Wuzzy

Version 1.1.1

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.1.1 released! Now properly updated for Minetest 5.0.0.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: [Mod] Slow Eater [1.1.1] [sloweater]

by FreeGamers » Post

Sweet, I tried this out before and it didn't work. I'll definitely be trying this out now. I use hbhunger though, so its a dice roll.

It didn't work with hbhunger, no crashes or anything, it just has no effect. I'll maybe take a look at it and try to make them jive eventually. I do like the concept of this mod.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:NOTE: This mod is incompatible with pretty much all other eating-related mods. Do not use this mod together with other eating mods, otherwise conflicts are very likely.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:NOTE: This mod is incompatible with pretty much all other eating-related mods. Do not use this mod together with other eating mods, otherwise conflicts are very likely.
Wuzzy, I read that before trying to run it along side hbhunger. I simply wanted to share my experience in trying that in case anyone else tries a similar configuration in the future.

I may try to incorporate elements of one of these mods into the other to make the concepts compatible.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Wuzzy

Version 1.1.2 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.1.2 released! The mod had a bug that caused the eat sound to always play at full volume when you were nearby an eating player, no matter how far away (unless you were out of the hearing range, then of course the sound didn't play).

The problem was the sound file was in stereo, which is not allowed for positional sounds in Minetest. I fixed it by turning it to mono (unfortunately at a minor cost of quality but I can't find the uncompressed version of the sound anymore).

Also, this mod has been migrated to Codeberg.org. Check out the new repository here:
https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/minetest_sloweater/