[Mod] Currency and Economy [git][currency]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

[Mod] Currency and Economy [git][currency]

by VanessaE » Post

Currency and Economy mod

This mod, originally by Dan Duncombe, provides barter tables, safes, exchange shops, and multiple denominations of currency, called "Minegeld", which is shown at the bottom of the above image.

There are 5, 10, and 25-cent Minegeld coins, and 1, 5, 10, 50, and 100 Minegeld notes.

The safe is basically a locked chest with a different texture and a smaller inventory.

While playing, the mod will "pay" you 10 Mg per in-game day as long as you have dug or built something. This works on servers too - any user who is actively playing will get paid. This "daily salary" only occurs when the game/server is in survival mode.

The mod provides craft recipes to exchange between different denominations (so long as neither side of the exchange is more than 9 items), so you could for example "break" a 1 Mg note into four 25-cent coins, or swap five 10 Mg notes for a 50 MG note.

At the far right in the above image is a bundle of random Minegeld notes, which can be burned. You get these by crafting 9 Minegeld notes of any denomination. This act is analogous to taking worn currency out of circulation. Coins cannot be combined in this manner.

Pipeworks tubes can be used to manage the inventory of an exchange shop.

License: LGPL 3.0 for the code, CC-by-SA 4.0 for media and everything else.

Dependencies: A recent Minetest engine and minetest_game default.

Recommends: Pipeworks

Download: https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/currency/-/ ... master.zip
...or browse the code: https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/currency

Screenshots:
+ Spoiler
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-11-09_19-32-41.png
(178.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_2018-11-09_19-26-50.png
(140.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_2018-11-09_19-15-19.png
(193.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Currency and Economy [git][currency]

by VanessaE » Post

This mod is still alive, but due to forum limitations, the broken posts in its old topic could not be repaired, so I've created this new topic to replace it. Discussion about this mod should be done in this topic.

(for those interested in it, the old discussion can be found at viewtopic.php?p=107066#p107066)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

xianjiro

by xianjiro » Post

Okay, just starting playing with this mod today and not quite sure I get how the shop functions (other than how one would expect from RL ;).

So, let's say I place a shop in a desert biome and put 15 apples under "your stock" (this is the part I get), but then I'm kind of stuck. Do other players just come along, take the apples and leave whatever, let's 99 gravel blocks?

Or is the idea I leave my apples in "in exchange you give" and then put what I want in "you want", let's say 1 diamond. Does the number of items I place on the right side "you want/in exchange" somehow correspond? Can I place minegeld in "you want"? Are all items on the right side considered equal - so, if I 'offer' 15 apples and only place a single diamond in "you want", will a player that offers a diamond be able to take the 15 apples or just one?

Seems I'm just unclear on the basic concept and haven't set up a second player to 'test' the store's possibilities.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Or is the idea I leave my apples in "in exchange you give" and then put what I want in "you want", let's say 1 diamond.
This is correct.
Does the number of items I place on the right side "you want/in exchange" somehow correspond? [...] So, if I 'offer' 15 apples and only place a single diamond in "you want", will a player that offers a diamond be able to take the 15 apples or just one?
The player will get a stack of 15 apples per diamond given. Think of it like giving the cashier at the store a $10 bill in exchange for a 24-can case of Coke (and telling them to keep the change ;-) ).

Other combinations are possible too:

If you were to offer 15 apples, and ask for one diamond and one Mese crystal, the player will have to give both one diamond and one Mese crystal, together, and will get a 15-pack of apples in return.

If you were to offer say, 15 apples and 10 wood, and ask for one diamond, the player will get both a 15-pack of apples and a 10-pack wood per diamond given.

If on the you were to offer 15 apples and 10 wood, and ask for one diamond and one Mese crystal, the player will have to give one diamond and one Mese crystal, together, and will get both a 15-pack of apples and a 10-pack wood in return.

Any grouping of items may be offered in a shop, and any group of items can be asked as payment, and the exchange will be one "you give" group per group of "you want" that the player pays.

You can give Minegeld in exchange for stuff, too, if you want -- it's just another item as far as the shops are concerned. So you could, for example, set up a shop to give the player some quantity of Minegeld in exchange for, say a gold ingot.

One thing I wish the mod could do:

A new node type should be made, that allows the owner to offer-up "take any one of these items/stacks in exchange for any one of these other items/stacks", so that one single node could act as a sort of "vending machine". Say, offer some quantity of cobble, wood, stone, or glass in exchange for some quantity of say, gold, silver, or Minegeld.

Unfortunately, that feature doesn't exist yet. I keep meaning to add it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

xianjiro

by xianjiro » Post

okay, now I'm up to speed - thanks! :)

zeuner
GitHub: zeuner

by zeuner » Post

Thanks for providing this great mod.

However, something repeatedly caused bad mood: If someone places an exchange shop and doesn't put enough stock inside, it can happen that other players gather together whatever the exchange shop owner wants, only to find out that the trade cannot be completed.

I implemented a remedy for this issue: When the exchange shop is out of stock, it will be marked visually (by a red X currently, might add better graphics later on). Then, other players can avoid these exchange shops.

It can be retrieved from here: https://github.com/zeuner/currency/tree/out-of-stock.

I would have created the fork and a pull request on gitlab, but this site gives me captcha requests in insane frequencies, so I have to avoid it. Feel free to merge my changes. Crediting would be nice if you do so.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Merged.