[Mod] hang-gliders [hangglider]

Should the glider controls change to be like elytra, or keep the paraglider mod's?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 23, 2018 21:13

Paraglider
50%
Elytra
50%

Total votes: 12

Piezo_
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: [Mod] hang-gliders [hangglider]

by Piezo_ » Post

Update
  • Glider speed is now proportional to fall speed
  • You can now fall a bit faster
  • Employed "Extreme Measures" (aka minetest.after(0, ...)) to stop the airstopper from teleporting people.
  • Fixed a bug with the model on newer client versions (I haven't tested this)
  • Gravity function now supports minetest_systemd's gravityctl service (welcome to your nightmare)
  • All versions from this point onward are licensed under the GNU GPLv3 or later, rather than LGPLv2.1, due to the inclusion of minetest_systemd. According to the FSF, I'm allowed to do this.
Last edited by Piezo_ on Fri Nov 30, 2018 06:23, edited 3 times in total.
while (true) { suffer(); }

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Glider speed is now proportional to fall speed
What does this mean? I can still fall straight down if I'm not pressing forward.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

texmex wrote:
Glider speed is now proportional to fall speed
What does this mean? I can still fall straight down if I'm not pressing forward.
*Walk speed while gliding

StarNinjas
GitHub: starninjas
IRC: StarNinjas
In-game: J1

by StarNinjas » Post

Awesome mod should go in the top mods of 2018! its very realistic and useful
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

kestral
GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Post

Piezo_,

Have you tried out this mod using Android?

I've been trying out Stu's latest unofficial 5.0 builds, which are much improved over the official 0.4.x builds.

The biggest problem I've had so far, is using the hangglider mod. The way the Android versions map left click makes it very difficult to launch in the air.

I'm not sure what the best solution to this is. I tried a couple of other methods, but what I ended up with was to map the AUX key as a second way to equip and unequip. Left click still works, but I had to disable tool wear for now.

With this, hanggliding wasn't much more difficult than on a desktop. However, this only works on the 5.0 Android builds, since the 0.4.x ones don't have an AUX key, but I don't think I want to go back to the old versions anyway.

Something to think about. Maybe you can come up with a better solution.

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

We need an anti-aircraft flag in areas, so if players attempt to enter an anti-aircraft area, first a warning shot is fired and then there is a shot removing the player from the hangglider. This would prevent unauthorized intrusion into protected areas.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

I am in the process of implementing anti-aircraft areas. So far, I have added a system where players get shot down after entering any protected area, however, this is too strict. I will add an anti-aircraft attribute to areas, so the area's owner can impose their own flight restrictions.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

kestral wrote:Piezo_,

Have you tried out this mod using Android?
ABSOLUTELY PROPRIETARY
kestral wrote: I've been trying out Stu's latest unofficial 5.0 builds, which are much improved over the official 0.4.x builds.

The biggest problem I've had so far, is using the hangglider mod. The way the Android versions map left click makes it very difficult to launch in the air.

I'm not sure what the best solution to this is. I tried a couple of other methods, but what I ended up with was to map the AUX key as a second way to equip and unequip. Left click still works, but I had to disable tool wear for now.

With this, hanggliding wasn't much more difficult than on a desktop. However, this only works on the 5.0 Android builds, since the 0.4.x ones don't have an AUX key, but I don't think I want to go back to the old versions anyway.

Something to think about. Maybe you can come up with a better solution.
I don't have an Android, sorry. Currently, left-clicking is the standard "use" motion in Minetest, so that seemed like the most logical choice for glider-activation, and I can't think of a better alternative.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

gpcf wrote:We need an anti-aircraft flag in areas, so if players attempt to enter an anti-aircraft area, first a warning shot is fired and then there is a shot removing the player from the hangglider. This would prevent unauthorized intrusion into protected areas.
I can see this being incredibly necessary in situations like parkour minigames. I'll definitely think about this, but I'd also like to see your approach.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Piezo_ wrote:
gpcf wrote:We need an anti-aircraft flag in areas, so if players attempt to enter an anti-aircraft area, first a warning shot is fired and then there is a shot removing the player from the hangglider. This would prevent unauthorized intrusion into protected areas.
I can see this being incredibly necessary in situations like parkour minigames. I'll definitely think about this, but I'd also like to see your approach.
The above is rather gameplay-specific, but imho more basic improvement may be easily added to enhance the credibility of the flying experience -- a player should definitely unwield the glider not only when performing touchdown, but also when hitting vertical surface. With damage enabled this would make flying amidst sharp rocks above deep canyons more fearsome, thus more enjoyable.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

voxelproof wrote:A player should definitely unwield the glider not only when performing touchdown, but also when hitting vertical surface. With damage enabled this would make flying amidst sharp rocks above deep canyons more fearsome, thus more enjoyable.
I'm sort of hesitant about this. In the mod's current state, this wouldn't be a real danger. I guess it depends on whether people want the controls to be more like the paraglider, or elytra. Honestly, I like the paraglider controls, but I'l make a poll.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

Here is my hangglider mod with closed airspace option: https://git.bananach.space/hangglider.git/

kestral
GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Post

I had to DuckDuckGo "elytra" since I had no idea what it was.

Since I basically like the way the hangglider mod flew, you can put me as a vote for paraglider. I don't intend on checking out elytra, since I've never felt the need to explore "PROPRIETARY" alternatives to Minetest.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

kestral wrote:Since I basically like the way the hangglider mod flew, you can put me as a vote for paraglider. I don't intend on checking out elytra, since I've never felt the need to explore "PROPRIETARY" alternatives to Minetest.
Both wise decisions, in my opinion.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

What was the function of the airstopper thing that caused so much trouble?

Btw: I just opened a PR on notabug.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

Mod with anti-aircraft guns can now be seen in action at Linuxworks server.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

gpcf wrote:What was the function of the airstopper thing that caused so much trouble?
There was a not-so-small chance that, due to the terrible internal handling of serverside players, activating the airstopper might cause you to be teleported to either the last place you opened the glider, or (0,0,0).
gpcf wrote:Btw: I just opened a PR on notabug.
Awesome. I'll check it out, but some things have changed since then (the removal of airstoppers being the main one), so there may be merge-compatibility problems.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Update
  • Merged gpcf's no-fly-zone support
  • Removed airstopper, meaning that the glider will instead slow players down gradually, which will not save you if you're right above the ground, already plummeting to your death.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

gpcf wrote:Mod with anti-aircraft guns can now be seen in action at Linuxworks server.
I've got to join and check this out!

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

We need placebo hanggliders:
https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k5094

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

gpcf wrote:We need placebo hanggliders:
Humanity never ceases to disappoint me.

Sometimes, in cases of extreme lag, the glider will fail to open in time to save the player, so you could say this is already implemented.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Very informative, comprehensive study debunking the myth of life-saving parachutes. Now I know why passengers of airliners aren't equipped with this useless thing (only life belts in case of crashing to the sea).

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

voxelproof wrote:
Very informative, comprehensive study debunking the myth of life-saving parachutes. Now I know why passengers of airliners aren't equipped with this useless thing (only life belts in case of crashing to the sea).
The problem is that the airplanes in that study were all on the ground and not moving.
  • Compared with individuals screened but not enrolled, participants included in the study were on aircraft at significantly lower altitude (mean of 0.6 m for participants v mean of 9146 m for non-participants; P<0.001) and lower velocity (mean of 0 km/h v mean of 800 km/h; P<0.001).

and in their conclusion
  • However, the trial was only able to enroll participants on small stationary aircraft on the ground, suggesting cautious extrapolation to high altitude jumps.

Therefore it is completely understandable that there was no difference between those using placebo parachutes (empty backpacks) and the real thing. I would definitely participate in this study, and entertain no fears of death or injury.

I have made over 300 jumps from aircraft not on the ground, the lowest was about 900 feet / 300 meters, the highest was around 16,000 ft / 5000m. Speed of the aircraft varied from around 50 mph to over 180 mph. I wore a parachute on all of them and can happily state that the result was the same as the study -- no deaths. Yet, I am confident that if I wore the placebo the experimental results would be widely skewed from the results reported by the study. (I have had one injury, it was a re-injury of an ankle previously broken while playing soccer / football. And it only happened because I steered my parachute to the wrong field for landing.)

Interesting that the study was released in December and not in April.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

I think we've drifted far enough from the topic of the mod.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Piezo_ wrote:I think we've drifted far enough from the topic of the mod.
It's beacuse of sideward wind gust, hopefully not a wind shear ;)