[Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

by Linuxdirk » Post

Item transport pipes are so well documented, but fluid transport pipes are basically just described in the GitLab wiki. Is there a documented API available for them so modders can create own machinery that connects with the water pipes?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

There is no API for the pipes, other than a function to automatically connect and route them as you place and dig, and they only work with water. The idea at one time was to make them behave similar to tubes, but that never materialized.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Thanks for the answer! So pipes are basically just decorations with benefits?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I've never heard it put quite like that, but I suppose yes. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Great :) Another quick question: can't test right now, but will water be pushed into the empty pipe when a full pipe is replaced with an empty pipe (minetest.place_node())?

This way I could "hack" a connection by simply replacing the "connected" pipe right below my node and do all the magic in my node.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ordinarily, yes. A simple ABM moves the water around.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

This sounds great, thanks!

T6C
In-game: T6C

by T6C » Post

Hrm... You know, I've never even thought about using the pipes in Pipeworks! (Doh! LOL)

Vanessa, you said the pipes will transport only water, but I have to ask: will they also transport lava? My auto-quarry from Technic will dig neither water nor lava, so my solution to the lava has been to pour water on it from above, turning it to obsidian, which the auto-quarry will dig. It would be nice to figure out a way to actually harvest the lava, though.

The tubes don't seem to have a problem with lava buckets, but they do have a problem with un-bucketed lava (they melt into "broken tubes" when touched by lava). Since lava is technically a fluid, I wonder if the pipes can transport it like water.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

T6C wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 17:36
Hrm... You know, I've never even thought about using the pipes in Pipeworks! (Doh! LOL)
Haha yes :D Oh, and I just tried … it’s so baaad! Pipes need a lot of love!

Placement feels weird and attached pipes are instantly filled when placed against an already filled pipe. Also the design of the pipes is … i don’t know … just feels weird overall.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

They do not transport lava. I had intended to add that feature at one time, but never got around to it.

T6C

by T6C » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 23:16
I had intended to add that feature at one time, but never got around to it.
Reason #8,544,728,950.5 why I really need to learn Lua, so I can help with these mods! ROFL If only I had the time. Between my job, getting my 10 km/day hike in, and trying to "keep up with the Jones'" in-game, I need an extra 24 hours in each day! LOL

New question: how long can these tubes theoretically be? I have one transporting items from the aforementioned quarry to the surface to my warehouse, but the mine is getting pretty deep, and it's taking a long time for the items to go its length. I'm worried at some point those items will time out and disappear en-route or the chunk they're in will time out.

Would it help to install accelerator tubes every, say, 10 nodes? I've noticed that even with those accelerator tubes, the material eventually slows back down, so the acceleration isn't permanent.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

"We've been so busy keepin' up with the Jones... four-car garage and we're still buildin' on...." ;-)

There's no actual limit to tube length, apart from however far the engine is willing to transport entities around, and that'll just be limited by your settings, i.e. things like max force-loaded blocks and such. Accelerator tubes help, and as I recall, their effect is cumulative as long as you use them often enough to make up for the eventual loss of speed; multiple accelerator tubes in a long line will accelerate the items progressively faster than just one.

That said, you might consider using teleporter tubes in your quarry setup if the depth is getting unwieldy.

T6C

by T6C » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 14:14
...you might consider using teleporter tubes in your quarry setup if the depth is getting unwieldy.
That's a really good suggestion, and I completely forgot about the teleporter tubes. I've never used them, but now's as good a time as any to try them out. Since they literally teleport entities from one node directly to another, that might help to relieve the RAM issue, too. The server wouldn't need to keep track of where the moving entities are for nearly as long.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Hiya are there any ways to stop Pipeworks from printing to debug.txt logging? Like it does here?

<ACTION> 2021-07-17 16:41:19: [Server] pipeworks tube puts default:dry_grass_1
into chest at

So my server terminal isn't "spammed" with these?

Do let me know if I can "turn this off" and how. :)

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Anybody have any clues on this? I tried finding relevant minetest.log on Line 55 for the legacy.lua and Line 210 for the welider.lua (or however you spell that) for ACTION loggings but no lucks.

I am missing something here still?

I even tried bringing it up in the GitLab over a week ago and still haven't heard anything there either.

I would like to see who's logs into my server, the server's chats and such so it would be nice if I can fee up my logs of these entries.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

As far as I know it's not possible to suppress those messages on a per-mod basis. There IS, however, a global Minetest setting that will limit the log level ("Action" is a level), though I don't remember what it is offhand -- search the "all settings" screen in Minetest main menu.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 20:29
As far as I know it's not possible to suppress those messages on a per-mod basis. There IS, however, a global Minetest setting that will limit the log level ("Action" is a level), though I don't remember what it is offhand -- search the "all settings" screen in Minetest main menu.
Ah okay, I thought it was at one time?

The problem with that is that I don't think I will see the chats even since that's also an ACTION level as well correct (if not even the logs in)?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I can't say, but what you ultimately wanted is impossible at this time.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 20:49
I can't say, but what you ultimately wanted is impossible at this time.
Fair enough indeed, thanks for helping me understand this. Hopefully I can get a solution to the problem one way or another with server logging or something.

the_lisp_nationalist

by the_lisp_nationalist » Post

Hey there... I'm having trouble finding a user manual for this (interesting) mod... The link on the git page doesn't work... Any ideas please?

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

the_lisp_nationalist wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 22:54
Hey there... I'm having trouble finding a user manual for this (interesting) mod... The link on the git page doesn't work... Any ideas please?
it seems that this was not moved when VE transferred the repo, ill see if i can reach out
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

happy to report with much thanks to VannessaE that the wiki has also been moved to https://github.com/mt-mods/pipeworks/wiki and links updated
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

the_lisp_nationalist

by the_lisp_nationalist » Post

wsor4035 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 01:21
happy to report with much thanks to VannessaE that the wiki has also been moved to https://github.com/mt-mods/pipeworks/wiki and links updated
Much thanks! :)

pivert
In-game: Pivert

by pivert » Post

Hi, using pipeworks, I suddenly have major performance issues on the server, with tons of :
Feb 5 11:19:00 minetest minetestserver[6038]: 2022-02-05 11:19:00: WARNING[Server]: [monitoring] globalstep took 393372 us in mod pipeworks.

This likely happened after a player connected some digging lava with some technic mod. (not sure).

So, my question: how can I detect what's wrong with pipeworks, how can I find location of the problem on the map, and how to fix it ?
MinetestPipeWorksScreenshot_20220205_115344.png
MinetestPipeWorksScreenshot_20220205_115344.png (250 KiB) Viewed 2907 times

Thanks,
minetestserver on 3 K8S nodes with cloudnative-pg backend

pivert
In-game: Pivert

by pivert » Post

Just disabling Pipeworks fixes the lag & load problem. But, I would prefer to find a solution, so I can enable it !
minetestserver on 3 K8S nodes with cloudnative-pg backend