[Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

by VanessaE » Post

Except I *did* indicate my intent to move, and anyway your reaction here kinda proves that any discussion would have been pointless - clearly your mind was already made up.

I'll admit that I only gave about a day's notice (I think), but frankly, my little voice was yelling at me to just gtfo immediately.

Oh, and minetest-mods was supposed to be for abandoned mods or mods likely to be abandoned, or the author just disappeared. I had you put my stuff in that group with the intention that I still had final say over their content, and in case I just can't maintain them anymore - as a backup, you could say. Since I'm still here, well, obviously that was uneeded (and is proving to be a mistake)......
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

VanessaE wrote: I'll admit that I only gave about a day's notice (I think), but frankly, my little voice was yelling at me to just gtfo immediately.
https://github.com/minetest-mods/pipewo ... ntributors

I wouldn't even think that 1 week would be sufficient notice, considering the huge amount of contributions from others for this project.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sofar wrote:... because it goes against the core goal of minetest-mods to provide a long-term place where developers can co-maintain code even after people walk away.
Obviously the author did not walk away. They just changed the location of the repository to another Git hoster.

fgr

by fgr » Post

is this going to be fixed some day or do we need to exclude pipeworks from now on of the mods? Dont get me wrong, even the problems will not be assigned on gitlab either so i am asking here ....

on the other hand your talking here about the effort why to move from github to gitlab but honestly i don't care. The other contributors may not sharing my mind but i want to proceed on the error instead yelling and discussing the move. :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What's to fix? It's just on Gitlab now. Clone/download, fork, make issues/pull (merge) requests, etc. Same as before, just a new host. As for why move, I already explained it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

so how is gitlab different to github?
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:so how is gitlab different to github?
One has a fox and the other has an octocat. And different cooperate overlords.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

One is owned by Microsoft. The other is not.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Vanessa, how can you make so complicated models?? It`s especially complicated to make that "corner tube" that needs to be smoothed on the edge. How to do so?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Eh, there's really nothing to it. I assume you actually mean the metal pipes.

Blender can automate some stuff pretty easily. I don't recall the exact set of steps I took, but if I were to do it again, I'd do this:

First, you need to set the grid to 3 lines, scale of 0.50, and 8 subdivisions. This'll make one Blender unit - that is, the size of the major/thick grid spacing when you zoom out to see the whole scene - equal to one half of a 1m node in Minetest, and one subdivision will correspond to one pixel, assuming a 16px texture. The grid center/origin will correspond to the dead center of the node, and the first major grid lines away from the origin will be the node's sides. Make sure you draw everything at the proper size. Here's the straight pipe displayed with those grid settings when the view is not aligned to any side:

All of this needs to be done while looking at the node from one of its sides - your view must be snapped to one side with keypad "1", "3", or "7" (perhaps with "Ctrl"). Otherwise, things will go in weird directions when you try to move stuff around. I believe I drew the curved pipe while looking at it from above (keypad "7"). You can pan and rotate your view however you like as you work, so long as you always snap the view to one side before altering the model. Note that the pixel-sized subdivisions will not be visible when the view is not snapped, and when it is, you'll get far more grid lines than you asked for (I'm not sure how to limit this).

* Snap the cursor to the grid center.
* Create a circle with at least a few dozen sides (this really needs to be an even multiple of the resolution of the texture you'll be using, e.g. 32 sides for a 16px texture). Fill it, and rotate it if necessary to face the side of the node where you want the pipe to start. The diameter of this circle will be the diameter of the pipe (obviously).
* Move the circle to the side of the node you chose for the start of the pipe.
* Move the cursor to one corner of the volume, but inset it a little bit from the corner, *exactly* evenly in both directions, say 3 subdivisions (e.g. 3 pixels' worth).
* Set the pivot point to the cursor.
* Select the circle and extrude along one axis, toward the center of the node. Just a small, random distance, you'll set the exact final position in a moment.
* The now-extruded face should now be selected. Scale it, locking the scaling mode to just the axis you extruded along. Since a single face has no thickness, and the pivot is set to the cursor, and scaling uses this pivot, this action will just move the face, but in a special way.
* While scaling, press "0", Enter. This will cause the face to snap to a position even with the cursor, along just the axis you were scaling on. It'll remain offset from it - leave it there.
* Execute the "Spin" tool in the Toolbox sidebar on the selected face. 90° angle (or negative 90°, if needed), at least a dozen steps. Blender will repeatedly extrude, rotating a little bit each time, until it hits 90°. The cursor will form the center of rotation, and hence the center of the pipe's bend.
* Select the face at the other end of the bend (that is, the last one Blender just drew), and extrude it along its new direction, i.e. orthogonal to where you started, stopping at the corresponding side of the node.
* Select all, re-calculate normals (ctrl-N) to turn everything right-side-out, and set the shading mode (also in the Toolbox sidebar) to "smooth". Select the two ends, set those to "flat". This affects how light and shadow play across the surface, and is part of what makes the the pipes look smooth.

At this point I would copy and paste one of the flanges from the straight pipe, and place it appropriately. After that, texturing/UV-mapping the assembly. Once that's done, I'd copy and paste the new, now UV-mapped flange, and move the copy to the other end of the pipe (by copying this one now, the copy will also be properly UV-mapped, saving some time)
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-06-14_09-55-45.png
Screenshot_2018-06-14_09-55-45.png (44.47 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Thanks, i will try out it some time. But in fact i would like to know how to make textures straightly via Blender. One manual said it has standard textures (wood, stone, marble), but i want to draw own textures in it. I have known it has even "Vertax" mode. But a problem in what i want to set up a brush correct. That is, to do that brush is not round, and quadratic. And i would like a brush to draw not ditheredly, and legibly.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't make textures in Blender. I use GIMP for that.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

VanessaE wrote:I don't make textures in Blender. I use GIMP for that.
Gimp? But really is it possible? But if you would use difficult models for example, billiards board or piano from HomeDecor that have different colors how to lay on them model then?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yep, all my textures were made with GIMP, and then properly UV-mapped onto the model.

In Minetest, you can assign up to six textures to a model, which will be applied as "materials" in the model. But each of those can have as many parts as you want.

Take a look at the slim/half bookshelf model in homedecor, its main texture file is laid out pretty sparsely, should make it easy to see how things go together. It uses one file for the books' covers and spines, another texture for the books' pages/edges (or maybe it was one texture containing both, I forget), and default wood is referenced for the shelves themselves.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Here`s a question again: how to lay on a model any different textures? I want each separate texture to be laid on separate face.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

If you want one texture file per face, you must create materials in Blender (or whatever), assign faces to those materials, and then load the images into Blender and UV-map them.

When you export to .obj, the model will contain the UV and material info (you must enable "material groups"), but the textures must be re-specified in Minetest, in the node definition's tiles={} field. That's why you're limited to six files.

izzyb

by izzyb » Post

Is there a known issue with pipeworks running in minetest 0.5? I'm getting a Segmentation fault trying to run the server.

Code: Select all

~/minetest/bin/minetestserver --config ./minetest.config 
[OK] Mesecons
Segmentation fault

cat ./minetest.config
default_game = ibtest5
map-dir = /home/minetest/worlds/world
Only have the base Minetest_Game mods, mesecons, and pipeworks installed.

ls ibtest5/mods/
beds      default  give_initial_stuff  sethome  wool
boats     doors    mesecons            sfinv    xpanes
bones     dye      minetest.config     stairs
bucket    farming  nyancat             tnt
carts     fire     pipeworks           vessels
creative  flowers  screwdriver         walls
Here's the versions of minetest and pipeworks mod

~/minetest/bin/minetestserver --version
Minetest 5.0.0-dev-ac6e8e29 (Linux)
BUILD_TYPE=Release
RUN_IN_PLACE=0
USE_GETTEXT=0
USE_SOUND=0
USE_CURL=1
USE_FREETYPE=1
USE_LUAJIT=1
STATIC_SHAREDIR="/usr/local/share/minetest"

git show
commit ea94718a9a4acb427c82f6ef6734a5e6c59a9bc4
Merge: bfd4444 7ee48e0
Author: Vanessa Dannenberg <vanessa.e.dannenberg@gmail.com>
Date:   Fri May 11 09:21:10 2018 -0400

Merge pull request #213 from Thomas--S/look

Add new `get_look_horizontal()` and `get_look_vertical()` to fake player
Last edited by izzyb on Sat Jun 16, 2018 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
cdb_d26897136a4c

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I have not tested any of my mods under it, so I don't know one way or the other. But, 5.x.x has not seen any releases yet, so....

izzyb

by izzyb » Post

VanessaE wrote:I have not tested any of my mods under it, so I don't know one way or the other. But, 5.x.x has not seen any releases yet, so....
Ok, Good to know. I'm just running tests against 5 for my own server. So far I've isolated a problem with pipeworks...
cdb_d26897136a4c

R-One

by R-One » Post

Hi, I have an error with the master branch under minetest 0.4.17.1 when I activate a dispenser with a button.
if I go on the branch 0.4.16 everything is ok.
Spoiler
ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'mesecons' in callback environment_Step(): ...inetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\pipeworks/wielder.lua:499: attempt to call method 'get_pos' (a nil value)
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: ...inetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\pipeworks/wielder.lua:499: in function 'act'
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: ...inetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\pipeworks/wielder.lua:169: in function 'wielder_on'
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: ...inetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\pipeworks/wielder.lua:205: in function 'action_on'
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: ....4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mesecons\mesecons/internal.lua:190: in function <....4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mesecons\mesecons/internal.lua:183>
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: ...17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mesecons\mesecons/actionqueue.lua:93: in function 'execute'
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: ...17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mesecons\mesecons/actionqueue.lua:84: in function <...17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mesecons\mesecons/actionqueue.lua:61>
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: ...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:420: in function <...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:400>
2018-07-05 11:42:34: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I believe this has already been fixed in git. Please pull and try again.

R-One

by R-One » Post

VanessaE wrote:I believe this has already been fixed in git. Please pull and try again.
I deleted the mod folder and cloned your git again, it actually works.

(strange I was sure that I updated the repository)

Thank you very much for your work.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Don't thank me, thank Krock :-)

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

When using sorting pipes, I find myself turning off more pipes than I turn on. Half the sorting pipes go only one direction at least when I start out so turning them all off can be labor intensive. I use a lot of sorting pipes so I made a simple mod to pipeworks to make setting up the sorting pipes easier.

in sorting_tubes.lua
Under "on_construct"
Where is says "meta:set_int("l"..tostring(i).."s", 1)"
change it to "meta:set_int("l"..tostring(i).."s", 0)"

This sets sorting tubes to default to closed.

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

I wrote a pure API over at viewtopic.php?t=20624 and would like to help all the inventory and transfer node mods add support for it. Is this something you'd be interested in supporting?

The API adds support for default chest and furnace but pipeworks replaces the furnace. The patch at https://github.com/auouymous/node_io/bl ... nace.patch adds support to the furnace registered by pipeworks.