[Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

morlanius

Re: [Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

by morlanius » Post

Is there chance that the storage tank will be operational any time soon?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I couldn't say, but don't count on it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Hi there

I love your mod but there seems to be an issue with the filters/injectors:
If you place an injector and rotate it afterwards in the right direction it doesn't take items from that new direction.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Place a technic mv-alloy furnace
  • Place an injector below it
  • Rotate it into place with the screwdriver (top to bottom)
  • Place a tube below it
  • Try to inject an item into the tubes with punching
Commit: 4c20de48b2b31b37e9898188e28755d5263be42d (master)
Minetest: 0.4.17.1

There seems to be a commit which added some on-rotate triggers (9725fa2f2823cd2cd510226e10b4ee3d6c3169d7) maybe thats the cause...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:Hi there

If you place an injector and rotate it afterwards in the right direction it doesn't take items from that new direction.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Place a technic mv-alloy furnace
  • Place an injector below it
  • Rotate it into place with the screwdriver (top to bottom)
  • Place a tube below it
  • Try to inject an item into the tubes with punching
Commit: 4c20de48b2b31b37e9898188e28755d5263be42d (master)
Minetest: 0.4.17.1

There seems to be a commit which added some on-rotate triggers (9725fa2f2823cd2cd510226e10b4ee3d6c3169d7) maybe thats the cause...
You should see a small opening on the side of the injector, and that must be lined up with one on the furnace, etc.
Also any tubes must connect to this small opening as well.

Generally, this means placing injectors on the left/right side of technic furnaces (and not the top or bottom).

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Screenshot_20180926-151409.jpg
Screenshot_20180926-151409.jpg (967.57 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
I talk about vertical placement like in the picture :)
(i know i could've use the CLU on the machines for ejection... :P)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:Hi there
I had a similar problem with node breaker on the same server :
  • Place a node breaker
  • Rotate it with a screwdriver (normal rotate, not axis rotate)
  • Add a mesecon command
  • The node breaker wont break the node in front of it
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Guys, please file issues on gitlab. Not here, they'll get missed or forgotten.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

I tested with last version, cant reproduce. Either the mod on pandorabox is not up to date or there is another interaction.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

thetoolman
GitHub: tealethetoolman
IRC: thetoolman

by thetoolman » Post

I'll tell you what. Pipeworks is great and all, but nothing in this world sucks worse than opening up your technics uranium enrichment facility to find that your master sorting tubes that you planned for the throughput with have the input tubes crashed.

Sucked even worse because I was trying to figure out why nothing was being responsive. then I let the server run overnight and came back to all empty centrifuges. this couldn't be right. Investigation came and oh I've got broken input tubes.

Is there a way to get the tubes to quit breaking when you leave them alone too long? this is the second enrichment facility that I've made that has had this problem. I found most of the bottlenecks when i built and ran the first factory and I'll say that those helped with broken tubes on my centrifuge modules, but now i have 5 master sorting tubes and all 5 were broken. (oh and all the materials that were in them can't be found.)

Also, the lua controller gets too hot too quick. If I attach one to a digiline and have it print the digiline events, on the other end of the digiline i have a digichest. If I manually fill the chest up, after the 4th or 5th print, the lua controller overheats.

I know you guys set these extremely low thresholds because these mods are used on open servers, but seriously? this makes the game almost impossible to play.

kthxbye.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

thetoolman wrote:Also, the lua controller gets too hot too quick. If I attach one to a digiline and have it print the digiline events, on the other end of the digiline i have a digichest. If I manually fill the chest up, after the 4th or 5th print, the lua controller overheats.

I know you guys set these extremely low thresholds because these mods are used on open servers, but seriously? this makes the game almost impossible to play.
There are settings (from mesecons).
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

There are Pipeworks settings to handle tube breaking (though just which tube in an overloaded circuit will break when the time comes is kinda random).

pipeworks_enable_items_per_tube_limit turns it on/off. Obviously it's on by default.
pipeworks_max_items_per_tube sets the rate (default is approximately 30 stacks per second).

If you're breaking tubes with the default settings, you probably forgot to put overflow protection in your tube circuit. Items that have nowhere to go once injected into a tube circuit will bounce back and forth until they find something to drop into. So if you just keep injecting items into a circuit, in excess of the rate they're consumed by chests and other machines, then you'll eventually get enough of them going to exceed the configured limit.

The solution is usually to connect an extra tube to an appropriate point in your overloaded circuit, run it out a few meters, and put both a chest and a trash can on the very end (so that approaching items must chose one or the other). Items that enter into that tube will always get stored in the chest first if possible, but if the chest is full, they'll head into the trash can and be discarded (the trash can always has the weakest priority, just to allow stuff like this). What you do with the chest's content is of course entirely up to you (most people would put a filter-injector against it, wired up and tubed properly to periodically re-insert items back into the circuit at whatever passes for it's starting point, at a rate guaranteed not to exceed normal consumption of that item).

A broken tube can be repaired without digging/placing by merely striking it with a hammer from Glooptest, Cottages, etc. (I forget which mods I supported here). That causes Pipeworks to use metadata keys that it stored when the tube broke, to restore that tube to its previous state. Think of it like Fix-It Felix, Jr's gold hammer, from the movie "Wreck-It Ralph". :-)

These settings exist to protect servers from excessive CPU load (and to protect clients from excessive FPS loss), which can happen when you get enough items flowing around.

If I remember the details right:

One of my admins noticed a rather large amount of lag on my server where Pipeworks is extensively used, but it only happened when a certain user showed up, even though very large portions of the map are kept loaded and active (due to equally-extensive Technic use).

So when that admin and I went to investigate the area that user was last in, our clients' FPS dropped like a lead brick. On further inspection, we found a smallish straight tube circuit, maybe 20 meters in length, with a default wooden chest at one end, and a handful of machines injecting items periodically, placed starting from the other end of the line.

The user didn't build his tube circuit properly, and ended up with a whole mess of item stacks flowing back and forth.

Once one of us coaxed the item stacks to exit that circuit (I forget if we added more chests, or broke tubes, or what), we discovered that there had been a few thousand of them buzzing about in that 20m length of tube. One of us added a trash can to the end of the tube next to the chest, just to prevent that in the future, and a sign informing that user why the change was made.

Of course, we both knew that some way was needed to prevent this happening again, either by mistake or intentionally, and that's when the idea of automatic tube breaking came about. When a tube breaks, items entering it will just pop out, analogous to a pipe that has burst due to excessive pressure, and thus is pouring its contents on the ground. This also allowed us to rely on the engine/server to keep things tidy. This is why your circuit was empty that last time - all the items flowing around literally poured out onto the ground from the broken tubes, and were deleted by the engine after some time (it's very likely that the engine's entities-per-mapblock limit was also exceeded, but that's out of Pipeworks' control).

The default was chosen based on a large nuclear fuel refinery on that same server, which was the largest single machine apparatus running on that server at the time, and just so happened to be run by the same admin as above. We estimated that the refinery was running at close to 20 stacks/second in its busiest tube circuit. So, if I remember right, the refinery was tweaked a little to bring the busiest circuit down to something like 15 stacks/second, and the server's limit was set to 20 stacks/second to give that machine some overhead. Since even 20 stacks/second was actually still behaving okay on the server, but seemed like an awful lot of visible activity, 30 seemed about right for the mod's default for single player use. Kind of "you shouldn't need much moving around as it is, and if you go above this, you're doing it way wrong".

Incidentally, this is also when the "move events per second" limiter idea came about to help limit server lag caused by the animation/movement code. That same refinery was useful in setting that up, because it made it easy to see the effects of that bit of code.

piet
In-game: piet

by piet » Post

I have downloaded mod but when im going to my singleplayer world then some mods like advtrains and digtron are off how can i fix it?

piet

by piet » Post

here i have some images from the error

[img]file:///home/piet/screenshot_20190609_131507.png[/img]

[img]file:///home/piet/screenshot_20190609_131440.png[/img]

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

piet wrote:here i have some images from the error

[img]file:///home/piet/screenshot_20190609_131507.png[/img]

[img]file:///home/piet/screenshot_20190609_131440.png[/img]
Can you upload the screenshots locally or put the up on https://imgur.com ?
They only display on your pc :P (the file:// links are on your machine)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

You must upload your images as attachments to your post, or put them somewhere like imgur, picpaste, etc, then link to them. What are the pipeworks-specific errors? Copy & paste the relevant text from your debug log to here.

(I can't help with advtrains or digtron)

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

thetoolman wrote:I'll tell you what. Pipeworks is great and all, but nothing in this world sucks worse than opening up your
technics uranium enrichment facility to find that your master sorting tubes that you planned for the throughput with have the
input tubes crashed.
VanessaE wrote:There are Pipeworks settings to handle tube breaking (though just which tube in an overloaded circuit will
break when the time comes is kinda random).
pipeworks_enable_items_per_tube_limit turns it on/off. Obviously it's on by default.
pipeworks_max_items_per_tube sets the rate (default is approximately 30 stacks per second).
I had the same problem in singleplayer creative mode, and as VanessaE said, disabling pipeworks_enable_items_per_tube_limit will solve the problem.

However, in my opinion, I think those should be disabled by default when not playing on a server.

Especially since:
VanessaE wrote:These settings exist to protect servers from excessive CPU load (and to protect clients from excessive FPS loss), which can happen when you get enough items flowing around.
Honestly, it doesn't make since if your are in singleplayer mode -- to have that enabled by default.
(even though it could still cause lag in singleplayer, it won't be as bad or as neccessary as it would be on a server where it would impact multiple users).
Last edited by neoh4x0r on Sun Jun 09, 2019 21:25, edited 3 times in total.

piet

by piet » Post

VanessaE wrote:You must upload your images as attachments to your post, or put them somewhere like imgur, picpaste, etc, then link to them. What are the pipeworks-specific errors? Copy & paste the relevant text from your debug log to here.

(I can't help with advtrains or digtron)
ok later im going to try it

piet

by piet » Post

neoh4x0r wrote:
thetoolman wrote:I'll tell you what. Pipeworks is great and all, but nothing in this world sucks worse than opening up your
technics uranium enrichment facility to find that your master sorting tubes that you planned for the throughput with have the
input tubes crashed.
VanessaE wrote:There are Pipeworks settings to handle tube breaking (though just which tube in an overloaded circuit will
break when the time comes is kinda random).
I had the same problem in singleplayer creative mode, and as VanessaE said, disabling pipeworks_enable_items_per_tube_limit will solve the problem.

However, in my opinion, I think those should be disabled by default when not playing on a server.

Especially since:
VanessaE wrote:These settings exist to protect servers from excessive CPU load (and to protect clients from excessive FPS loss), which can happen when you get enough items flowing around.
Honestly, it doesn't make since if your are in singleplayer mode -- to have that enabled by default.
(even though it could still cause lag in singleplayer, it won't be as bad or as neccessary as it would be on a server where it would impact multiple users).
where can i disabling pipeworks_enable_items_per_tube_limit?

piet

by piet » Post

I am forgot to say what the problem is now when i turn on pipeworks and im joining my singleplayer creative world
al my tracks and trains and digtrons are unknowm items

sorry for bad einglish...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Please take discussion of digtron/trains/other mods to their respective forum threads or issue trackers. Do not discuss them here.
This setting goes in pipeworks_settings.txt in your world folder. If that file doesn't exist, create it and add that one setting (= false).

It's better to leave it enabled, and just raise the default limit. But like I said, if you're exceeding the default of 30 stacks/second, you're doing something wrong.

piet

by piet » Post

VanessaE wrote:Please take discussion of digtron/trains/other mods to their respective forum threads or issue trackers. Do not discuss them here.
This setting goes in pipeworks_settings.txt in your world folder. If that file doesn't exist, create it and add that one setting (= false).

It's better to leave it enabled, and just raise the default limit. But like I said, if you're exceeding the default of 30 stacks/second, you're doing something wrong.
ok

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

magic). Why a river water pump makes sea water?
Spoiler
Attachments
screenshot_20190721_021710.jpg
screenshot_20190721_021710.jpg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
Last edited by Imk on Sun Jul 21, 2019 20:16, edited 2 times in total.

Stronk

by Stronk » Post

Are deployers meant to hoe like they do in Minecraft? I've found ways to automate farming other plants but not ones that must have fertile soil. Tried different hoes in all the positions available. The seeds also do not deploy over ground that I hoe myself. Edit: I tested all the seeds. Hemp seed, Wheat seed, Barley seed, Rye seed, Cotton seed, and Oat seed.

I am using the pipeworks from the link in this thread and farming_redo from the ingame download system. Running Minetest 5.01.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Imk:

Pipeworks was written before river water was a thing, and water flow is incredibly primitive in any case. While pumps can recognize river water, the pipes and other devices only know about regular water, so the pump just acts like it's turning one into the other.

Internally, pipes and pipe devices are either "loaded" or "empty" i.e. flowing or not, they aren't actually dealing with water at all (there's literally nothing stored with a pipe to indicate what fluid is in it, aside from the texture looking like water). Since pipes and other devices are all only binary like that, spigots and fountainheads are thus also only flowing or not flowing, so I chose to fake it by placing (or deleting) regular water.

At some point, I'll improve how the pipes behave. One idea is to make them just be fancy-modeled tubes (but only connecting to the things they do now), thus having the pump act like a fancy nodebreaker that can only operate on liquids, and make the spigot and fountainhead behave like a deployer -- then pipes would be able to move lava and any other liquids.

Also, please refrain from posting foreign languages in clearly-English-speaking threads.

Stronk:

Deployers will "plant" the seeds only when positioned below the soil, pointing up (that is, place a deployer, then wet hoed soil on top of it, then the plant will be put on top of the soil when the deployer is activated).

Their inventory is just a supply, a buffer, so you could feed items to them via a tube and they'd place if possible, or storing the received items if not. They cannot "use" tools, they can only try to place when they receive (and tools can't be "placed"). However, a nodebreaker might be able to use a hoe, as it executes a dig/punch action using the tool it's been supplied with, though I've never tried that.

Of course, once soil has been hoed and water supplied, it'll stay hoed and ready to grow so long as it remains wet, so there's really no need for a machine to do that (unless you're trying to create an automated farming machine analogous to a tractor towing a tiller).

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

Vanessa thanks for the answer. I immediately realized that there is no checks fluid and they both belong to the same water group. I wanted to notify in a humorous way.
Lava rock a good idea. Still need tankers to store it. Thermogenerator for electricity.