[Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

FiftySix
GitHub: BenjieFiftysix
In-game: fiftysix or 56

Re: [Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

by FiftySix » Post

How do I access the API? I want to call "pipeworks.after_place" (and other things) in a mod, but pipeworks is a "nil value". I tried copying "local pipeworks = rawget(_G, "pipeworks")" from technic, but it didn't work. How can I get it to work?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Make sure your mod depends on pipeworks (as in put it in depends.txt), then just call pipeworks' functions normally, none of that rawget() stuff.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

When I try to play a world with the mod enabled it says that devices.lua attempted to index global ‘screwdriver’( a nil value). Probably an outdated problem? I’m running the latest 0.5 build. Any ideas? @VenessaE
Testin' mines since 1989

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Why is my 0.4.16 server not booting up properly with regards to Pipeworks? I had triple checked the naming closely on the file and have everything enabled for that world in question (as far I can tell).

Here is the error output...

Code: Select all

06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main .../.minetest/mods/pipeworks/init.lua:140: in main chunk
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main [C]: in function 'dofile'
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main .../.minetest/mods/pipeworks/compat-chests.lua:94: in main chunk
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main ...sr/bin/../share/minetest/builtin/common/misc_helpers.lua:590: in function 'copy'
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main stack traceback:
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main ...sr/bin/../share/minetest/builtin/common/misc_helpers.lua:590: table index is nil
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main ModError: Failed to load and run script from /.minetest/mods/pipeworks/init.lua:

Please do let me know why this particular mod only is having problems booting up? I can confirm that others are booting up properly as shown below...

06.03 23:58:49 [Server] INFO [MOD] Protector Redo loaded	0
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] INFO [Protector] pvp_protect is disabled	0
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] INFO [OK] Mesecons

Thanks in advance!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

You forgot the first part of the error, so I can't tell what went wrong.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

have you changed any of the code as pipeworks is a fairly complicated mod and it would be easy to accidently break if you don't know what your doing
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

VanessaE wrote:You forgot the first part of the error, so I can't tell what went wrong.
Here is the whole between start and shut down...

06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main .../.minetest/mods/pipeworks/init.lua:140: in main chunk
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main [C]: in function 'dofile'
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main .../.minetest/mods/pipeworks/compat-chests.lua:94: in main chunk
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main ...sr/bin/../share/minetest/builtin/common/misc_helpers.lua:590: in function 'copy'
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main stack traceback:
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main ...sr/bin/../share/minetest/builtin/common/misc_helpers.lua:590: table index is nil
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] ERROR[Main ModError: Failed to load and run script from /.minetest/mods/pipeworks/init.lua:
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] INFO [MOD] Protector Redo loaded	0
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] INFO [Protector] pvp_protect is disabled	0
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] INFO [OK] Mesecons
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] WARNING[Main [xban] Unable to load database: /.minetest/worlds/world/xban.db: No such file or directory
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] WARNING[Main NodeDefManager: Ignoring CONTENT_IGNORE redefinition
06.03 23:58:49 [Server] Main Using world specified by --worldname on the command line

RSLRedstonier wrote:have you changed any of the code as pipeworks is a fairly complicated mod and it would be easy to accidently break if you don't know what your doing

No I installed it by unzipping the zip file and renaming the folder to "pipeworks" and of course enabling it for the world.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That's not all of it. Not only does Minetest print a some other startup stuff before mods are actually loaded, the first line of the error text would normally tell just what failed (at least it would give a filename and a line number to look at). Maybe run Minetest from a terminal and paste the entire contents here. Sometimes debug.txt doesn't catch everything.

All of that aside, Pipeworks is known to run just fine in 0.4.16, but if you can, you should fetch Minetest engine from its git repository, and build/install from the backport-0.4 branch. That's generally regarded as stable, and recommended by Minetest developers, as there have been many bug fixes committed to there since 0.4.16-release. Don't forget to update minetest_game as well (also from the backport-0.4 branch).

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

VanessaE wrote:That's not all of it. Not only does Minetest print a some other startup stuff before mods are actually loaded, the first line of the error text would normally tell just what failed (at least it would give a filename and a line number to look at). Maybe run Minetest from a terminal and paste the entire contents here. Sometimes debug.txt doesn't catch everything.

Here is the RAW output https://pastebin.com/ysVHhrAS itself, maybe that will help alongside of the console output. It's the last one down of the latest booting cycle.

(This forum is being stupid and won't let me post the actual file so I just pasted it in PasteBin)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Odd, the bit I was interested in was there in your pastes, I just didn't see it because your logs were reversed (oldest output first). I'm at a loss to explain the crash. However...um... what is multicraft? is that some other subgame? And why is this all under /home/minecraft?

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

VanessaE wrote:Odd, the bit I was interested in was there in your pastes, I just didn't see it because your logs were reversed (oldest output first). I'm at a loss to explain the crash. However...um... what is multicraft? is that some other subgame? And why is this all under /home/minecraft?

Well because the host and I was concerned about me being able to manage the server remotely. They had worked to get the Minetest instance to be able to operate on the Multicraft's control panel in a generic sense. That way I can view the console, edit files, and other basic operations without having to SSHing in or having to contact them.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

VanessaE wrote:Odd, the bit I was interested in was there in your pastes, I just didn't see it because your logs were reversed (oldest output first). I'm at a loss to explain the crash. However...um... what is multicraft? is that some other subgame? And why is this all under /home/minecraft?
The provider had figured out why the server having the issue... They said...
the mod wants the linux server locale to be "en_US.UTF-8" or similar.

I never honestly seen this requirement. :(

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Minetest mods do not have any concept of locale, let alone Pipeworks. More likely it was the engine that needed it.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

VanessaE wrote:Minetest mods do not have any concept of locale, let alone Pipeworks. More likely it was the engine that needed it.

Ahh I see, must been a "component" that needed it that didn't "kick into gears" until I tried using Pipeworks. Given that the Minetest instance worked before I added the mods and it.

Dubfiance
IRC: Dubfiance
In-game: Dubfiance

by Dubfiance » Post

I cant get this to work I get:

2018-04-06 11:14:32: ERROR[Main]: Irrlicht: Switch to fullscreen: The graphics mode is not supported.
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: The following mods could not be found: "beacon_master" "monorail"
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: NodeDefManager: Ignoring CONTENT_IGNORE redefinition
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: Field "tile_images": Deprecated; new name is "tiles".
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: Field "light_propagates": Deprecated; determined from paramtype
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "HUD_ENABLE_HUNGER" accessed at ...s\common\Minetest\bin\..\mods\hud_hunger\hud/builtin.lua:41
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: Node 'light_source' value exceeds maximum, limiting to maximum: beacon:bluebeam
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: Node 'light_source' value exceeds maximum, limiting to maximum: beacon:redbeam
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: Node 'light_source' value exceeds maximum, limiting to maximum: beacon:greenbeam
2018-04-06 11:14:44: WARNING[Main]: Node 'light_source' value exceeds maximum, limiting to maximum: beacon:purplebeam
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Minetest\bin\..\mods\pipeworks\init.lua:
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: ...s\common\Minetest\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:590: table index is nil
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: 	...s\common\Minetest\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:590: in function 'copy'
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: 	...\common\Minetest\bin\..\mods\pipeworks/compat-chests.lua:94: in main chunk
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: 	...steamapps\common\Minetest\bin\..\mods\pipeworks\init.lua:140: in main chunk
2018-04-06 11:14:44: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
I have the Mese mods enabled.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This project has been moved to Gitlab.

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

VanessaE wrote:This project has been moved to Gitlab.
Why? was it really necessary?

Now all existing links, clones and repos that used this as submodule are broken. Thank you!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Github sold their soul to the devil -- Microsoft bought them out (yes, they really did). That's why I moved. Others disagreed with my move, so my repos there will have already been restored by the time you read this. *shrug*

Sorry if it broke some links, but the same thing has already happened to a whole lot more than just minetest stuff over the last couple of days (if you don't believe me, ask the folks at Gitlab how their traffic has been lately). My stuff's only the tip of the iceberg, and it'll happen again when Github finally goes belly-up thanks to that buyout.

Update your bookmarks/links. It's git, so your local copy is not invalid, you just need to update your remote addredd `git remote set-url origin https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/homedecor_modpack.git` should set your local copy to rights.

As for submodules, I don't support or recommend them - git submodules suck (been there, done that, got the headache to prove it :-P )

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

The project was deleted from github without any discussion, and I will be restoring it in full, as well as the other 15 modules that were removed without any form of discussion.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

VanessaE wrote:Github sold their soul to the devil -- Microsoft bought them out (yes, they really did). That's why I moved. Others disagreed with my move, so my repos there will have already been restored by the time you read this. *shrug*
Since modders moving to GitLab for end users only means changing "hub" to "lab" in the origin URL (given that the same user name is used on GitHub and GitLab) I dont't see that as a big deal actually - Just inform the users and you're good to go.
sofar wrote:The project was deleted from github without any discussion, [...]
Why should a modder discuss their decisions with a dev before changing or removing the repositories?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Just inform the users and you're good to go.
Hence the purpose of my previous posts, and the ones on all the other relevant forum topics. Plus, unless I missed one, all open issues or pull requests on my projects got notifications as well, with links to the new repos (comment-and-close on all issues, before deleting the project).

It kinda sucks to lose the issue and pull request history, but I saw no clearer path, and old, closed issues/pulls are just deadweight after a while anyways. This was the best option, and I smoothed it over as best I could. At least updating local repos just requires a couple of commands to change their remote URLs, as LinuxDirk said.

As for no discussion, sofar, you said you'd been on a 5-day vacation, but the only mention I recall seeing of that came *after* everything was moved, and I had everything moved in about a day and a half. Nothing was deleted from Github until after it had been successfully cloned to Gitlab, forum links updated, and notifications posted/sent.

sofar, you and I usually get along fine... but I'm not going to constrain my activities according to your vacation schedule, especially not now, and not over a bunch of penny-ante game mods. My only concern when the buyout news broke was "get the hell off of github before some ToS update or website update stops me". Vandalism was never my intent (as you called it in IRC).

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

VanessaE wrote:It kinda sucks to lose the issue and pull request history, but I saw no clearer path, and old, closed issues/pulls are just deadweight after a while anyways.
At least the issues should get imported if you use the importer tool provided by GitLab. In one of my repos I can see open and closed issues just fine.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yeah, that works for the comprehensive importer, but if the repo you're importing is not directly owned by your account on github, you have to bring it over it by plain clone import function.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

VanessaE wrote:… but if the repo you're importing is not directly owned by your account on github, you have to bring it over it by plain clone import function.
Damn :( I know exactly why I didn’t transfer my repos to minetest-mods when I was asked some time ago :)

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
sofar wrote:The project was deleted from github without any discussion, [...]
Why should a modder discuss their decisions with a dev before changing or removing the repositories?
Because the removal of git repositories and histories from *any* organization you're not an owner of without discussing this is just a violation of trust, and because it goes against the core goal of minetest-mods to provide a long-term place where developers can co-maintain code even after people walk away.

I have no problem discussing moving and making a solid plan, and announcing changes with a reasonable amount of lead time, or even people politely saying 'I'm working on this over here now' is all entirely FINE with me.

but fucking deleting 16 repos, fuck that.