[Mod] Pipeworks [git] [pipeworks]

mtmodder148
GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

Re: [Mod] Pipeworks [20131128] [pipeworks]

by mtmodder148 » Post

Yeah I have the latest new_flow_logic branch. I definitely waited longer than that. Sure I'll give you a couple to show the flashing on and off.

Edit: Here is the folder for the screenshots. I waited like three or four minutes and the end of the pipeline kept turning off and on every second. I wonder if this is because I have a lot of spigots hooked up to it.

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Okay that's the issue, having too many spigots on one pipeline. Is this by design?

Edit: The limit seems to be three. If it is by design it makes sense to me, but adding another pump to the pipe line should increase the pressure and increase the spigot limit imo.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually, it's just that a setup like that strains the available pressure from the pump because all of those spigots are actively draining the pipes down. It works a lot like real pipes, in that there's only just so much pressure the pump can force into the feed at one end since water doesn't exactly compress and a pipe doesn't expand :-) and as each spigot drains its portion of the pipeline, each one further down the line has less available pressure than the one before it.

For an example circuit like that, you could add another pump next to the first and you might be able to get a couple more spigots operational, but you're limited by how much pressure you can put through that main feed pipe. The better idea would be to feed that circuit from the middle instead of the end, then you'd probably be able to get one pump to service about 6 or 7 spigots in total (3-4 on each side of the junction).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Okay, I originally set it up that way to see how spigots would turn on before the next one. So more pumps definitely equal more pressure. Awesome! This branch may be a bit slower but it's more realistic and goes well with technic's attempt at realism.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yep. More pumps equals more total available pressure, which means more outputs can be fed (up to a maximum amount of course), especially if you spread the pumps around a bit.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Rundi88
In-game: Rundi88

by Rundi88 » Post

I've found a really great usage of the Pipeworksmod.
A Mall with a "returnable bottle machine". You put all your items in the machine and the pipeworks sorting the items in the right chests. So you had a Sand Store, a streets store, a garden store,...

The Overview:

The Base Floor:

The "returnable bottle machine":

Behind the walls:
Last edited by Rundi88 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: I've just merged new_flow_logic to the master branch of this mod, as it's had enough testing, so now all users will be on the new code finally. Plus someone caught a bug that was present in both branches (which I've also fixed).

Enjoy!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

People complained, so master branch has been rewound back to the point before new_flow_logic and force-pushed, and the code originally from that branch has been split back into its own branch again, returning this mod to the state it was before my last post. That branch is up-to-date against master, and can be re-merged at any time, should someone desire to do so.

A few commits unrelated to the water flow and/or pipes have been added since then. Those commits have been kept.

If people want the new_flow_logic code, please help me bug-fix it.

ivalin

by ivalin » Post

I think that you should not need a fountain head to spill water from the pipes . Also water source should be depleted after a while

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

In the new_flow_logic branch, spigots or fountainheads (either one) are needed to drain a pipe down at the normal rate - but also a pump will slowly bleed the pressure off as well, when it's turned off.

People apparently don't like how the pressure values are propagated along the pipes. I'm not too happy with it either, but I thought it was at least less buggy than the existing code.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Is there a way to make the pipes flow any liquid? This is how i edited the flowing_logic.lua however im getting errors. I made a oil mod that i never released few years back and i want to flow the refined fuel using pipeworks.

Something along the lines of?

Code: Select all

group:" .. name..,
liquid:"...name..,?

This is what i have done but has not worked

Code: Select all

local finitewater = minetest.setting_getbool("liquid_finite")

pipeworks.check_for_liquids = function(pos)
	local coords = {
		{x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z},
		{x=pos.x,y=pos.y+1,z=pos.z},
		{x=pos.x-1,y=pos.y,z=pos.z},
		{x=pos.x+1,y=pos.y,z=pos.z},
		{x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z-1},
		{x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z+1},	}
	for i =1,6 do
		local name = minetest.get_node(coords[i]).name
		if name and string.find(name,"water") then
			if finitewater then minetest.remove_node(coords[i]) end
			return true
		end
	end
	return false
end

pipeworks.check_for_inflows = function(pos,node)
	local coords = {
		{x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z},
		{x=pos.x,y=pos.y+1,z=pos.z},
		{x=pos.x-1,y=pos.y,z=pos.z},
		{x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z+1},	}
	local newnode = false
	local source = false
	for i =1,6 do
		if newnode then break end
		local name = minetest.get_node(coords[i]).name
		if name and (name == "pipeworks:pump_on" and pipeworks.check_for_liquids(coords[i])) or string.find(name,"_loaded") then
			if string.find(name,"_loaded") then
				source = minetest.get_meta(coords[i]):get_string("source")
				if source == minetest.pos_to_string(pos) then break end
			end
			newnode = string.gsub(node.name,"empty","loaded")
			source = {x=coords[i].x,y=coords[i].y,z=coords[i].z}
		end
	end
	if newnode then 
		minetest.add_node(pos,{name=newnode, param2 = node.param2}) 
		minetest.get_meta(pos):set_string("source",minetest.pos_to_string(source))
	end
end

pipeworks.check_sources = function(pos,node)
	local sourcepos = minetest.string_to_pos(minetest.get_meta(pos):get_string("source"))
	if not sourcepos then return end
	local source = minetest.get_node(sourcepos).name
	local newnode = false
	if source and not ((source == "pipeworks:pump_on" and pipeworks.check_for_liquids(sourcepos)) or string.find(source,"_loaded") or source == "ignore" ) then
		newnode = string.gsub(node.name,"loaded","empty")
	end

if newnode then 
		minetest.add_node(pos,{name=newnode, param2 = node.param2}) 
		minetest.get_meta(pos):set_string("source","")
	end
end

pipeworks.spigot_check = function(pos, node)
	local belowname = minetest.get_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z}).name
	if belowname and (belowname == "air" or belowname == "default:water_flowing", "oil:refined_fuel_flowing"  or belowname == "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source") then 
		local spigotname = minetest.get_node(pos).name
		local fdir=node.param2
		local check = {
			{x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z+1},
			{x=pos.x-1,y=pos.y,z=pos.z}
		}
		local near_node = minetest.get_node(check[fdir+1])
		if near_node and string.find(near_node.name, "_loaded") then
			if spigotname and spigotname == "pipeworks:spigot" then
				minetest.add_node(pos,{name = "pipeworks:spigot_pouring", param2 = fdir})
				if finitewater or belowname ~= "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source" then
					minetest.add_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z},{name = "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source"})
				end
			end
		else
			if spigotname == "pipeworks:spigot_pouring" then
				minetest.add_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z},{name = "pipeworks:spigot", param2 = fdir})
				if belowname == "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source" and not finitewater then
					minetest.remove_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z})
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

pipeworks.fountainhead_check = function(pos, node)
	local abovename = minetest.get_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y+1,z=pos.z}).name
	if abovename and (abovename == "air" or abovename == "default:water_flowing", "oil:refined_fuel_flowing" or abovename == "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source") then 
		local fountainhead_name = minetest.get_node(pos).name
		local near_node = minetest.get_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y-1,z=pos.z})
		if near_node and string.find(near_node.name, "_loaded") then
			if fountainhead_name and fountainhead_name == "pipeworks:fountainhead" then
				minetest.add_node(pos,{name = "pipeworks:fountainhead_pouring"})
				if finitewater or abovename ~= "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source" then
					minetest.add_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y+1,z=pos.z},{name = "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source"})
				end
			end
		else
			if fountainhead_name == "pipeworks:fountainhead_pouring" then
				minetest.add_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z},{name = "pipeworks:fountainhead"})
				if abovename == "default:water_source", "oil:refined_fuel_source" and not finitewater then
					minetest.remove_node({x=pos.x,y=pos.y+1,z=pos.z})
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Right now, no there is not any way to do that. I had planned to implement this in the new_flow_logic branch. That branch works for water, but so far that is the only thing it can move around (and unsatisfactorily so according to some people). That said, that branch could be much more easily adapted by making some changes in the metadata that's passed around, and changing the symbol that appears on a pipe when it's full, accordingly.

The ironic thing here is I originally wrote pipeworks in hopes of someone using it to give a fresh, new appearance to sfan5's old oil mod, but never actually made it work with anything but water. :-)

I really need someone who has some knowledge of fluid motion to take new_flow_logic and make it work in a way that pleases everyone.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Just had a look at sfan5's oil mod and it's impressive indeed, i like pipeworks though it definitely has a place of it's own, mainly because it has potential as a light universal mod.

If a way can be worked out to transfer liquid as in group type rather then a specific node, it would open the doors for many game types. I am not complaining or anything, just really want to use pipeworks with my mod.

Going to play around with this and see what i can do, don't hold your breath though i am fairly novice. Also anyone that can help feel free to jump in :)

SpaghettiToastBook
In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Post

How reliable are the teleport tubes? I seem to have lost a bunch of materials from my quarry (whose tube was about 200 nodes away from the destination tube).

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

They should be reliable, I don't understand why you lost items (maybe the output chest was full?)

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I lost stuff many times. It was always a mistake I made and everything either ended up in a wrong chest or just floating around in the tubes
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

supercutsminetest

by supercutsminetest » Post

Newb question here - I've never played minecraft, and only been on MT for about a month. I'm not sure what is obvious/default.

I have been playing with vacuum tubes ("VT"), and I haven't been able to entirely understand how it works. It is my first foray into the pipeworks.

My goal is to have a tree farm where the ground automatically picks up saplings that decay from the leaves. I wanted to use the sand vacuum tubes (not mese). My original belief was that each VT node would suck everything two nodes away. So a 3x3 area would be covered from 1 VT. I don't think I am correct in my understanding. I am experiencing this on a server, so if the answer is related to that, I'm sorry.

I tried by
Air... Air... ...Air ... Air ... Air
Air... Air... ... Air ... Air... Air
Air... Chest ... VT ... Air... Air
Air... Air... Air ... Air... Air
Air... Air... Air ... Air... Air

Based on what I read on the wiki, I would have thought replacing any (except of a solid object blocked it) of the Air (2 nodes from VT) with a dropped item would get sucked in the chest. In reality, only an item dropped on Air would get sucked in. From what I am experiencing, the object has to fall ON the tube, am I understanding vacuum incorrectly or is this phenomenon not how the vanilla mod works (possibly server modded pipeworks?)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Well it SHOULD work like you thought - but note that there are two kinds of vacuum tubes. The standard one has a fixed spherical radius of about 2 nodes or thereabouts and should suck up everything within that range, while the other scans a cubical volume and is adjustable (hence its name). I *think* the adjustable one has a default radius of 1 node.

*pokes nore*

supercutsminetest

VanessaE wrote:Well it SHOULD work like you thought - but note that there are two kinds of vacuum tubes. The standard one has a fixed spherical radius of about 2 nodes or thereabouts and should suck up everything within that range, while the other scans a cubical volume and is adjustable (hence its name). I *think* the adjustable one has a default radius of 1 node.

*pokes nore*
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate your contribution to MT and your mods.

Based on what I am reading, the standard vacuum tube was intended to suck up a fixed radius of ~2 nodes, however it is currently not due to MT. I will use the adjustable one then, thank you!

D: The server owner advised he may be taking out pipeworks/mesecons because he believes it causes lag/dcs. I took a screenshot, but I can't find it, of the error code he receives. I have the latest, which was errors I received when I load. I will inquire with him next time to see the error codes and post them here.

I might be wrong, but the general gist (I may be completely misunderstanding him) is that there are players that have not played in awhile, where for example an automatic cobble generator is dropping infinite blocks overflowing the chest, that causes lag/dc.

Here is my scrshot.
Attachments
scr2.jpg
scr2.jpg (57.44 KiB) Viewed 831 times

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

No idea why you're getting those errors, but they're not due to any error in pipeworks.

supercutsminetest

Hmm, here is a scr of his error.

Here are mods

am I posting this question in wrong spot?
Attachments
mods
mods
scr3.jpg (112.9 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Error
Error
scr2.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 831 times

supercutsminetest

Referring to https://github.com/VanessaE/pipeworks/wiki, at the furnace section, the blurb mentions that filter/injector can be used to remove crafted items from the furnace. The photo does not show a filter/injector behind a filter/injector connecting to a chest, it only shows the tube from the furnace to the chest, is this not representative of what needs to be done?

I tried removing the product (coal from cooking wood with fuel cactus) from a furnace with
... furnace ... filter/injector ... chest
specifying coal in the filter/injector, and coal is not being removed. I then tried
...furnace ... tube ... chest
like the photo, and nothing happens.

The filter/injector in the first instance was connected to mesecon connector and blinky plant, the prior part of the machine is working (adjustable vacuum...chest...filter/injector (wood)...furnace (rest of machine specified above).
Attachments
The previous machine replaced the sand tube with injector defined for coal.
The previous machine replaced the sand tube with injector defined for coal.
Screenshot (16).png (274.44 KiB) Viewed 831 times

poet.nohit
GitHub: poet-nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

The picture in the wiki is misleading. Tubes that simply run from a normal furnace to a chest will do nothing. You need a filter next to the furnace to remove items from the output slot of the furnace.

The screenshot shows that you have a filter that can send items from the chest to the furnace and a blinky plant to trigger the filter. There is no filter that is placed such that it can take items from the furnace.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sorry about that. I've corrected the image.

Cryterion
GitHub: Cryterion
IRC: Cryterion
In-game: Cryterion

by Cryterion » Post

Hi, just a bug report, (if is,) on the autocrafter. I'll run through a scenario to explain it.

Autocrafter is receiving buckets of water, recipe set is bucket:water/default:dirt/default:papyrus - crafting clay4 - the issue comes in when the crafted items slot become full, I.E. there is no longer a slot for the empty bucket to fit (which it places under normal conditions). I could place a filter to sort it out, but still believe the autocrafter should stop operating in that situation.
No trees or animals were hurt in the production of this message. However, a large number of Electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.