[Mod] Unified Dyes [20170620][unifieddyes]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yup, that's why - wool wasn't added as a built-in item until a few days after 0.4.1 was released. If you have wool in 0.4.1, it's either been hacked in, or more likely it is one of Jordach's old 11/16/32 color wool mods. Those do not support Unified Dyes.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

ok if using the default wool in 4.2-rc1.
using blue dye and white wool i get violet wool.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Oops! I see the bug. Should be fixed in latest git now. (I forgot to update a wrong groups= setting when I added the check/recipe tweak for geranium flowers).

Please re-download and give it a try.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

Sweet its fixed

AnonymousEx

by AnonymousEx » Post

I can't download your Nature Controlled Pack...browser just freezes up after clicking 'File > download.'

Can you look into this at your convenience? Thanks!

Love ALL your mods!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't have any way to debug that - it's most likely a problem with your browser.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Have you considered supplying a fully in-game mode with color backgrounds plus a specified overlay, using the "image1^image2" composite texture syntax? The one tricky bit is that I believe the images will have to be the same size. However, you could use slightly more complicated texture syntax to tile a background color N times, allowing one base 16x16 background image (for example) to be used for any overlay image that is a multiple of 16 pixels in each direction (the dependent mod would have to specify the image size). For example, to create a 32x32 composite image where the background is "background.png" and the overlay is "overlay.png", I believe the following should work:

Code: Select all

[combine:32x32:0,0=background.png:16,0=background.png:0,16=background.png:16,16=background.png:0,0:overlay.png
I haven't tried this yet, but it came to mind when I was looking over the mod code and I thought I would mention it. I may try it later and report on the results if no one else does first.

prestidigitator

The simple "a^b" compositing seems to work well. I created a tileable veins overlay to create a stone like texture and some flat colored backgrounds with the desired HSV colors, all at 256x256 resolution. I haven't tried the tiled version of the color backgrounds yet.

prestidigitator

Okay. Simple enough. I tried a variation where the background color image was 128x128, and "combined" it 4 times before adding in the veins overlay. Seems to work perfectly. So I think if you were to supply some simple flat color background images with this mod, plus some functions to compose a texture string given background color, size (multiple of 16x16), and an overlay image name, then mods depending on this one could just include a single overlay image to create all their colored stuff.

prestidigitator

Maybe combining into large textures isn't a good idea though. Trying to tile 16x16 images to get a 256x256 texture results in:

Code: Select all

19:21:58: ERROR[ServerThread]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: String too long for serializeString

In thread 7f937d7e6700:
/home/user/tmp/mt/src/pack/minetest-0.4.4+066b031+presti/src/server.cpp:102: virtual void* ServerThread::Thread(): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 7f937d7e6700:
#0  virtual void* ServerThread::Thread()
(Leftover data: #1  void Server::Receive())
(Leftover data: #2  void Server::ProcessData(irr::u8*, irr::u32, irr::u16))
(Leftover data: #3  static void Server::SendNodeDef(con::Connection&, irr::u16, INodeDefManager*, irr::u16))
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 7f938c38a740: 
#0  int main(int, char**)
(Leftover data: #1  void Server::step(float))
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ClientEnvironment::step(float))
(Leftover data: #3  void Client::Receive())
(Leftover data: #4  void Client::ProcessData(irr::u8*, irr::u32, irr::u16))
Aborted (core dumped)
So it's an interesting way to core dump the server anyway....

prestidigitator

With PNG compression a 256x256 solid color image takes up about 650 bytes anyway, so it probably wouldn't be too bad to provide textures all the way from 16x16 up to 512x512 or whatever. Maybe provide half of them and tile just up to 2x2....

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What you propose is doable, for sure, but I didn't see much of a point in it, because each person's mod will need slightly different color overlays - what works for cotton wouldn't work for bricks or wood because the colors may not come out the way the author of the mod intends.

prestidigitator

Hmm. Perhaps. What I did here to create some colored stone is create an overlay of veins in the stone, make it partially transparent, and stick it over the plain color background. Transparent pixels used the dye color. Partially transparent pixels blended in part of the dye color. And opaque pixels were straight from the overlay, of course. This allowed me to create dark streaks (all the way to black), light streaks (all the way to white), and let the rest take on the color of the dye. I used procedural textures from Blender for the streaks, and post processed them to make them seamlessly tileable. My wife now has 89 colors of HD textured stone with which to build her houses. Heh.

by 2232 » Post

Its says: 'failed to load and run'. What did I do wrong??
"I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun..."
-Shake Me Down by Cage The Elephant

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Did you remember to install the Plantlife modpack?

Please post the complete error message from your (minetestfolder)/debug.txt

by 2232 » Post

I should have all of those modpack, but let me check. I have plantlife-master.

This is the exact message:
ModError: Failed to load and run
/home/2232/downloads/minetest/bin/../mods/minetest/vanessaE-unifieddyes-a685...

I hope you can solve the problem :)

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

rename the folder to unifieddyes.

minetst dosnt support dashes.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What Traxie21 said, also it has to be named such because the mod name is "unifieddyes", not "vanessae-unifieddyes-blahblah" like github keeps insisting on doing.

Fwiw, dashes are valid in a folder name, but only in a modpack, which Unified Dyes is not.

by 2232 » Post

VanessaE wrote:What Traxie21 said, also it has to be named such because the mod name is "unifieddyes", not "vanessae-unifieddyes-blahblah" like github keeps insisting on doing.

Fwiw, dashes are valid in a folder name, but only in a modpack, which Unified Dyes is not.
I've renamed it 'dyes', but I will try 'unifieddyes'. It works now- thanks :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

There are many servers out there which have more or less insane receipes for colors. On one server, you get blue from cooking cactus, and someone eventually found out that mese fragments did create yellow. On another server, you get blue from mixing colored wool which was in turn colored by apples and tree thrunks. Flowers as color sources are much more logical. There ought to be a more unified mechanism for those colors and this mod more wide-spread. Servers without flowers could be offered sensible alternatives (apple=red, cactus=green, wood=yellow - even though those items are not really suitable as color sources, they bear at least a similar color which is important for memorizing receipes).

While the mod does not seem to have any impact on speed while the game runs, it does have an impact on load time/connection time. I'd really appreciate a *limited* set of colors, say around 16. Apart from wool, coloredwood is also very nice to build with. Sticks could be skipped since you can hardly use them for building directly. Fences can be colored after crafting. No point in wasting connection time on all those sticks. Something similar applies to unifiedbricks: They would be very nice as building materials, but not with that many nodes. Clay lumps and individual bricks do not need to be colored. For each color, one clay block, one brick block and one of the nice multicolor bricks ought to be enough. Fortionately, unifiedbricks seems to be configurable already.
[Edit] Same applies to the stained glass mod.
Having of each a set of about roughly 16 (color pigment, dye base, wool, wood, fence, clay, brick, multicolor brick) already multiplies to a lot of blocks but would be very nice to have on servers intended for building. Granted, this way you'll always miss *the* specific color you're looking for, but having all of them does not help most players to build better...it only increases load time and makes that bug with disappearing inventory images occour much sooner.
Last edited by Sokomine on Mon Apr 22, 2013 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
A list of my mods can be found here.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Unified dyes shouldn't add any significant time to starting the game. It only adds some 90 or so craft items, an equivalent number of recipes, and no nodes.

Mods that abuse UD on the other hand will :-)

For colored wood, you have to be able to color the wood itself as well as the fences, so the colored sticks are there in the interest of avoiding wasting dyes.

You're supposed to be able to do:
dye + wood -> colored wood -> colored sticks -> colored fences
...or...
plain wood -> plain sticks -> plain sticks in fence pattern + dye -> colored fences
...or...
plain wood -> plain sticks -> plain fence -> plain fence + dye -> colored fence

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

That's an argument for the colored sticks, yes. Regarding load time, I'd still prefer to have less nodes that are not directly needed. Some colored nodes are better than none at all :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-04-30: Multiple changes

* Refactored the code to use default "common" dyes rather than getting colors directly from flowers.

* This mod now depends on "default" and "dye" from the Minetest common sub-game. Since the default dye mod uses default flowers, this mod no longer checks for what version of flowers you're using, or even depends on it. Dye is normally activated in the standard "build" and "minetest_game" games, while the former also has flowers by default.

* Bottle-based textures have been replaced with piles of dye powder, based on the default red dye texture.

* All dyes are obtained by crafting, not cooking, for consistency with the default dye mod.

* The somewhat-complicated method using separate "pigment" powders, glass bottles and "liquid dye base" has been done away with. Now it's just dry dye powders, as with the default dye mod.

* Also, got rid of the whole paint scheme, in favor of dry powders.

* All old dyes, paints, and Unified Dyes pigment powders have been aliased back to the standard dye powders.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I liked the old dye base and the effort it took to create colors. In my first singleplayer world, I even had a chest with flowers, pigments and color bases just for the fun of it.
Of course it's nice if dyes become more usable and wide-spread now and if the receipes make more sense thanks to flowers beeing in dye.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

If you are using unifieddyes and/or any mods that use it, have a look at my spray booth/colormachine mod. It makes usage of the colors much easier, and you can explore such mods as unifiedbricks or coloredwood much better.