[Mod] Unified Dyes [20170620][unifieddyes]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Unified Dyes [20130721][unifieddyes]

by VanessaE » Post

Told ya so. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I want to add support for this for my colorcubes mod, but I don't know how, even after reading all the API docs. :-( Can you please give me a hint here? All the blocks in this mod have hardcoded color textures, and I follow the default Minetest Game dye pallette. I want to keep the textures (I will never use paramtype="color") for artistic reasons.
So, similar to what the wool mod does. I didn't even know that you can now color nodes with punching. I haven't checked out this mod since ages because the version number was stuck.

Other mod comments.
Overall, from the concept, this is great. The possibilities seem to be endless with this thing. It has truly become some kind of standard. It seems the 0.4.16 was a real booster for this mod. The API is huge!

The recent changes are not so good in my opinion:

I don't like the chat spam this mod produces. And the messages are overly technical, it reads like a developer debug log. I think mods should generally shut up in the chat (because it makes the real chat with players quickly unreadable) and should only “talk” if something important happened and if there is no better way to communicate to the player. I think the only messages whould should maybe be written are toggling of auto-coloring mode. All other events are not important enough for chat spam.

I think the auto-coloring mode is very confusing at first and I also don't really like it, because if you only dye one node, all future nodes get that strange color for no apparent reason, especially since the block in inventory still has the same color. I think it should not activate by default.

Here's my suggestion to simplify this:
- If you color a node by punching it, just color it, but do not change or activate auto-color mode
- Rightclick anywhere (including air) to toggle auto-coloring mode. OK, minor exception: rightclickable nodes like chests “win” the fight of who is allowed to handle the rightclick

I would appreciate if you help me in my quest to document all the things in Minetest by adding support for the Help mods (specifically doc_items) found here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15912&p=240152
The doc_items mod allows you to add simple help texts for items. You have posted a very long explanation of how to use the dye items in the 1st post, so I think it makes sense to have something similar readily available in-game as well. If you need help with this mod, I'm there. :-)

I am surprised that you are not able to dye wool by punching, since it already hard-depends on Minetest Game. Is this intentional?

PS: You should really update the version number, it looks like this mod has not been updated since almost 4 years!

PPS: Yes, I know, I usually tend to complain a lot about mods, but this only means I actually care about a mod. ;-) You still have done a great job in standardizing the color space in Minetest.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I want to add support for this for my colorcubes mod, but I don't know how, even after reading all the API docs. :-( Can you please give me a hint here?
Sure. You called it "colorcubes", so I'll assume it uses just a bunch of colored blocks similar to wool, and that you do not use stairs or moreblocks. These are the easiest kinds of mod to param2-colorize. I noted after re-reading, that you don't want to use param2-colorization, but if you did, this is how you'd go about it:
  1. Start by deleting all of the baked-in textures for the node that you want to colorize, except for whichever one has the most contrast. It doesn't matter which color that final texture is, because...
  2. ... you'll convert it to greyscale and flatten it. :-)
  3. Adjust the brightness and contrast on that one image so that it is as close as possible to what you consider "white" for that node, while still retaining all the detail in the dark parts. Think of the current white wool texture, for example. It still uses baked-in colors, and its "white" texture isn't pure white, there's some detail there. That's kinda what you're aiming for.
  4. In your mod, delete any loops, hard-coded nodes, etc. Leave exactly *one* copy of the node to be colorized. It doesn't matter which one you use because...
  5. ... you'll change its tiles={} entry to point to your one, greyscale, almost-white texture.
  6. Change the name of the node to something new. In most cases, it's enough to simply remove the color from the node name, e.g. "mynode:foo_bar_purple" becomes "mynode:foo_bar". Or, maybe append "_neutral" to the name e.g. "mynode:foo_bar_neutral". It's entirely up to you, as long as the result is some name you've never used before.
  7. In your node definition, add these items:

Code: Select all

paramtype2 = "color",
    palette = "unifieddyes_palette.png",
    place_param2 = 240,
    after_place_node = unifieddyes.recolor_on_place,
    after_dig_node = unifieddyes.after_dig_node
  8. Add ud_param2_colorable = 1 to your node's groups.
That's all you have to do to make a node colorized - you now have access to the entire 256-color palette. Place one of these new nodes on the map and then punch it with dye, or use some kind of node inspector tool to alter its param2 value, and it should immediately change color.

Next, you'll need to modify your craft recipes so that you base everything on that one, greyscale node. Unified Dyes does not yet have any helper functions for the new colored itemstacks feature, but there are engine API calls to do it: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... i.txt#L538 You will have to use juhhanad's method shown there to implement param2 in your recipes. I'll add a helper function to Unified Dyes some time soon to make this part easier to use (if someone doesn't beat me to it).

If this had been a new mod that had not yet been used in a world, then you could stop here. There would be nothing more to do.

I assume that's not the case, so if you were to load an old map right now, you'll find a bunch of undefined nodes where your colored blocks should be, since you got rid of all of the node defs with the baked-in colors. Since the engine has no way to know what to do with the now-undefined nodes, you need to write an LBM to convert the baked-in-color nodes to param2 colorization. It's not super easy, but it's also not very hard - takes about 20 lines of code to do it right, and being an LBM, it'll happen at block-load time, so there won't be any ongoing CPU load like there would be with an ABM. That's where some of Unified Dyes' helper functions are useful, especially unifieddyes.getpaletteidx().
All the blocks in this mod have hardcoded color textures, and I follow the default Minetest Game dye pallette. I want to keep the textures (I will never use paramtype="color") for artistic reasons.
In that case, unless you can use a fixed-color overlay to satisfy the "artistic reasons" clause, you can't use param2 colorization at all. It's impossible. That said, you CAN make it behave as though it does.

RealBadAngel's framed_glass mod does this, but since Unified Dyes was not designed with that sort of use-case in mind, there are no helper functions of any sort. You'd have to do it the hard way. That mod is sometimes shipped with Technic, and can be found among Dreambuilder's mods.

If you do not convert over to param2 colorization, you won't need the aforementioned LBM or modified recipes, but you also don't get access to the entire palette -- only that which you coded your mod to support.
The recent changes are not so good in my opinion:

I don't like the chat spam this mod produces. And the messages are overly technical, it reads like a developer debug log.
Others have said the same thing, and you're right that the messages are technical, but that's just my style of language. The problem is, if I don't put some messages in the chat, then users will start asking me why the mod doesn't work, or why this or that or the other thing suddenly broke after they clicked on some random node.
I think the auto-coloring mode is very confusing at first and I also don't really like it
At first, yes, until you realize that you'll want it the first time you build a wall or floor with a colored node of some kind. That said, see below...
Rightclick anywhere (including air) to toggle auto-coloring mode
If you just had to wield dye or a colorized node while right-clicking, then it could be done with an on_rightclick callback, but one would have to added to every node in every mod that currently supports Unified Dyes. Doing it globally (i.e. don't care what you're wielding) would require some kind of global "register on rightclick" function, but no such function exists in the Minetest API.

Getting back to the chat spam, the best way to make the colorization status visible, really, is with some kind of HUD element pushed into one corner of the screen. Making it only visible while wielding dye or a param2-colorized item would be a plus, but the only way to make that happen would be hacky and probably not good for performance (i.e. like the "Areas" and item name displays in the Areas and Unified Inventory mods).

I could perhaps add a function via a chat command to forceably disable the auto-coloring.

However, if and when param2-recipes go into effect in Unified Dyes, I'll just remove the auto-colorization feature entirely, since then you could just craft the colorized blocks and directly place them, rendering auto-colorization and the paragraphs above moot. It was, after all, only meant for the short-term.
I would appreciate if you help me in my quest to document all the things in Minetest by adding support for the Help mods (specifically doc_items) found here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15912&p=240152
That's doable, at some later date. Please file an issue against Unified Dyes so I don't lose track of it.
I am surprised that you are not able to dye wool by punching, since it already hard-depends on Minetest Game. Is this intentional?
I believe minetest_game's wool still uses baked-in colored textures, not param2 colorization, so it's in the same state as your colored blocks mod. See above.
PS: You should really update the version number, it looks like this mod has not been updated since almost 4 years!
Fixed.
PPS: Yes, I know, I usually tend to complain a lot about mods, but this only means I actually care about a mod. ;-) You still have done a great job in standardizing the color space in Minetest.
No worries.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Start by deleting all of the baked-in textures for the node that you want to colorize, except for whichever one has the most contrast. It doesn't matter which color that final texture is, because...
Damn, this is exactly what I did not want to do. You really want to nuke all the colored textures, don't you? xD
I also have cubes which use 2 separate colors in a mosaic-like pattern (e.g. black and white checker, orange and purple checker, etc.). I have honestly no idea what to do with them.
Actually, I never wanted the full palette. I actually just wanted the nodes to by dye-able with clicking to change between their colors they already provide. Nothing more. E.g. attack green cube with white dye → gets white. Attack green cube with 34.5346% saturated light red-violet → nothing happens because this color is not supported. Kinda what the paintroller mod does, but with the dye items.

Besides, using grayscale would not work so simple because of the white and black cubes. They are … special. The black cube is black and has a white “outline” while the white cube has a black outline.

All these ideas don't really go well along with the ideas of my mod, and my colorcubes mod is not important to me right now that I really want to go though all this. This mod is not really frequently used. But thanks for this very detailed explanation.
The problem is, if I don't put some messages in the chat, then users will start asking me why the mod doesn't work, or why this or that or the other thing suddenly broke after they clicked on some random node.
There should not be a message for nearly every click, this is way too excessive. That's why I suggested to reduce the messages to the absolute required minimum.
It was, after all, only meant for the short-term.
Good to know.
If you just had to wield dye or a colorized node while right-clicking, then it could be done with an on_rightclick callback, but one would have to added to every node in every mod that currently supports Unified Dyes. Doing it globally (i.e. don't care what you're wielding) would require some kind of global "register on rightclick" function, but no such function exists in the Minetest API.
I actually thought of on_secondary_use and on_place which are also called on a rightclick for … reasons. Oh man. And that's where I realize again how fucked-up and messy Minetest's control system is again. xD. Argh, there's no real simple solution. :-/
That's doable, at some later date. Please file an issue against Unified Dyes so I don't lose track of it.
Great, thanks! Issue is posted.
Fixed.
Thank, but why do I have the feeling this mod will now have the same version for the next 4 years? xD
If you won't also regularily update the version from now on, I suggest to go with the lazy option and just change it to “[git]” or leave out the version number altogether and call it “rolling release”.

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Unified Dyes [20170604][unifieddyes]

by VanessaE » Post

Well, I tried :)

I might consider adding a helper function to assist in what you want, especially since framed_glass would also use it, and it could be applied to the wool mod as well.

It would probably accept three parameters: a node name, the name of the wielded dye, and a table containing a list of valid nodename/dye mappings. If UD is able to match the wielded dye with the a new node, it would place the new node, return the corresponding dye, and return true.

luizsab

Re: [Mod] Unified Dyes [20170620][unifieddyes]

by luizsab » Post

Hello,
I trying to test Unified Dyes with Unified Bricks, but I get an error in Unified Dyes, look Debug log:
2017-07-13 11:36:09: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/unifieddyes/init.lua:
2017-07-13 11:36:09: ERROR[Main]: /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/unifieddyes/init.lua:36: attempt to index field 'setting' (a nil value)
2017-07-13 11:36:09: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-07-13 11:36:09: ERROR[Main]: /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/unifieddyes/init.lua:36: in main chunk

So I saw init.lua line 36 and the comand minetest.settings is it correct? Well I changed that to minetest.setting and error persist.
Am I doing something wrong?
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Are you using 0.4.16? This mod and the mods that depend on it do not work with anything older.

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

[Edit]I understood. I'm using 0.4.15, my O.S is Debian and 0.4.16 is not available in oficial repository.
I found it, but I'll have to update to Stretch.
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Or just fetch the source code and build it. It's pretty trivial on Debian.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

It is strange now some mods require certain version to work it. May you explain me why it so happens?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Whenever I extend the API in one of my mods, for example to add a feature for other mods to use, that of course entails updating those other mods to make use of the new feature. Right now, Unified Dyes and anything that uses it should need only to be whatever's the latest code in their respective repositories.

The same is true of Minetest engine and minetest_game. If there's a feature in the newest stable release that I want to use, then my mods will be made to require that release. I don't have the time or resources to care about old versions of the engine/game, and it's easy enough to keep up-to-date that I shouldn't have to, but if something can work on an older version, then so be it. All of my mods work fine with 0.4.16, and there's no reason anyone should be using anything older by now.

I used to require a copy of Minetest from "latest git" or "commit newer than <date>" for some of my mods, but I try not to do that anymore, because users want to have a version number to point to and don't understand git.

beldin

by beldin » Post

Any interesting effect can occur if you register nodes used in map generation to use the full palette. The are all generated with a pink shading (I assume that's position 0 on the palette). To resolve this I used the on_construct + lbm style you used to upgrade old nodes in homedecor to adjust the correct param2 setting. Might pay to put something in to the API.md file to give people a heads up about that potential issue. If I've not missed it in that already that is ;)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This project has been moved to Gitlab.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Can you please give some hint,
I don't use this mod, and did not check the size of graphic yet, but ...

this tells that until 256 pixel ?
VanessaE wrote:This mod now supports a full 256-color palette (see first post for details). I have also temporarily dropped support for that "unicolor"/"excolor" groups stuff, since nothing used it that I'm aware of.
but how can come that, if not the server owner changed something ?
How can there be an grahic with more then 256 pixels ?

2018-08-01 08:43:28: [b]WARNING[/b][Main]: TextureSource::getPalette(): the specified palette image "unifieddyes_palette_extended.png" is larger than 256 pixels, using the first 256.
Happen at me client 0.4.17-1 (crash) when I try to connect to Joes Miniwelt
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Festus1965 wrote:Can you please give some hint, ----

this tells that until 256 pixel ?
VanessaE wrote:This mod now supports a full 256-color palette (see first post for details). I have also temporarily dropped support for that "unicolor"/"excolor" groups stuff, since nothing used it that I'm aware of.
How can there be an grahic with more then 256 pixels ?

2018-08-01 08:43:28: [b]WARNING[/b][Main]: TextureSource::getPalette(): the specified palette image "unifieddyes_palette_extended.png" is larger than 256 pixels, using the first 256.
----
It is not for using 256 pixel textures. It provides 256 colors to use when crafting beds, wool, etc.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

ah my mistake here, so

Could there be an graphic with more then 256 pixels ?

but as i see, I have to check myself also this one ...
so downloading that file from the source ... and try to open it local:
* Image Viewer - tells not a png file
* GNU Image Manipulation Program - file corrupted
* Imagie Magic - crashes
* shotwell viewer - does not show anything
that should be enough validation ...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That the image has more than 256 pixels is intentional - the engine simply discards the rest of the image past that point, which is fine, since I drew the image with that intent.

It allowed me to arrange the colors in a human-readable way. Otherwise, I would have had to lay things out with color gradients wrapping from one side to another.

Just ignore the warning.

Now, if the palette file appears to be corrupted, that's a problem on your end -- the image was in fact made with GIMP. Just to check though, I clicked on your link, downloaded the image from there to a work dir, and opened it without any problem at all - works fine in Ristretto, Gthumb, Gwenview, Chrome, and GIMP (as visible below):

The Minetest engine counts the pixels left to right, top to bottom after loading the image, so the pink in the upper-left is pixel #0, and solid black (that is, the right-most of the grayscale on the bottom row) is pixel #255. Everything to the right of that will be discarded by the engine, so I colored those extra pixels bright green, as a reminder to whoever decides to look at the image.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-08-01_22-35-52.png
Screenshot_2018-08-01_22-35-52.png (129.26 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

VanessaE wrote:...
Just ignore the warning.
I just downloaded again, same ... using Ubuntu 1804 ... same error with gimp

sure i can ignore the warning for the downloaded file,
but when i try to join Joes Miniwelt my client crash - and when I join others with this mod, it don't.

But yes so its not your and mine problem then ... thanks for your response.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

All I can say is, none of that is the fault of this mod or the images therein. Sounds to me like you have a deeper system issue, maybe time for a re-install.

Incidentally, I run Debian (the computer the above screenshot was made on).

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Och Thanks for the advice,
but as not only me has this problem that the Minetest client 0.4.17.1 crashes during loading this one server,
* and I can go on others with the same mod,
I am not sure then if a new installation will help,
* as I am not the only one
and I don't need to get on this server ...
= I accept I cant go there ...

But I tried on another 4 PC I have here, 3 Ubuntu and 1 Win7P - they all could go on this world with the client 0.4.17 ... so I also have other options, and will not waste time on a new installation.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Well like I said, the problem, whatever it is, has nothing to do with unified dyes.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod now uses proper colored itemstacks for crafting, placement, and dig, so dyed items created by other mods using Unified Dyes' helper functions will now work like they did in the old days, e.g. recipe consisting of a collection of items plus one or more dyes yields the item properly colored.

Mods will have to be updated accordingly (nodes that still use the old functions just won't be able to take on a color). As of this post, only my fork of blox (https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/blox) supports the new code, as it's what I've been using for testing. I'll get updates and/or pull requests done for other mods as time permits.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

As of this post, every mod that I wrote, maintain, or just use (and which uses Unified Dyes), has been converted to the new method, and all related repositories updated, with pull requests where applicable. All my related mods have been tagged with today's date, and the mod store is updated too. A new Dreambuilder release has been made as well. My public servers have been updated accordingly, as applicable.

For all nodes that use UD, you simply craft things as usual, including adding dyes to the craft as needed, to obtain the colored version of whatever. For example, to get a blue homedecor glow light cube, first make a white one, then craft that white one plus some dye to change its color.

In some cases, you can craft the colored item directly from its source materials without first making a white one. For example, to get a green ilights light, craft glass, torch, three steel ingots, and a portion of green dye. Of course you can also craft a white one first and then dye it.

Placing a colored item works exactly like it should; digging it gives it back to you in whole, no longer separating-out the dye.

The "place then punch with dye" and "autocoloring" methods are gone. Hasta la vista. Relegated to the dustbin of history. Shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain, and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. In other words, deader than 4 o'clock. :-)

Also, I updated UD's API doc to make it easy to understand how to convert a mod from place-and-punch to proper crafting, using UD's craft creator helper function.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Now featuring an airbrush tool to facilitate [re-]coloring of already-placed nodes, but in a much more proper way than place-and-punch. See the first post for an explanation of how it works.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

*peers in*