[mod] PaleoTest [2.1.2] [paleotest]

voxelproof

Re: [Mod] Dinosaurs in Minetest! [1.40] [paleotest]

by voxelproof » Post

jeremyweston wrote: I would have to second this observation. The mob configs are definitely tweaked towards being passive and seemingly intended to display proper behavior of a dino in a park exhibit. The mobs don't act very aggressively towards players and have a very short view distance for enemies. This can be tweaked per the mobs_redo api. I eventually plan to do this for my own server.
So, now I can say it's perfect :) You may be sure I'll turbocharge some of them 8D
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Well it looks like I have a few replies to get to here.

I'll start off by saying that I obviously haven't been active here for a while. A lot of stuff happened in my personal life and I've just been too depressed to do much of anything I find fun like making mods for this game. In the past few days some things happened that hit me really hard and I don't think I've ever felt sadder in my entire life so I've come back to this game to take my mind off things. You can expect to see some new, unique things coming this summer since I finally have time to do things without school in the way.

Anyway, on to some answers.

As for the textures I had been working on re-texturing all of the Dinosaurs and I might start with a few Reptiles and Mammals. As suggested some Dinosaurs will have more contrast and color, but not too extreme. My aim is to have a mod that could act has an educational tool while still being fun to play around with, so I approach texturing Dinosaurs by first looking at what scientist believe the animal behaved like, followed by it's environment, to give a somewhat accurate representation of what these animals would have looked like when they were actually alive all those millions of years ago.

On the topic of realism, My aim for the past few updates was to improve animal behavior by using the mobs_redo api to it's full potential. It would seem that in doing this, some Dinosaurs that should be a lot less friendly are behaving like big cuddle bears. Tyrannosaurus for example, should kill the player on sight. I'm not sure why they are not brutally murdering the player has intended but I will have it fixed by the next release.

I am planning for more config options and maybe even some new mobs for the big 2.0 release but we'll see how that goes. I can't give any release dates for now but I'm hoping I can get it all ready within the summer break time frame.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Hey ElCeejo,

Take your time, the mod already is a pretty cohesive and well thought out package for what it is. As a "dino park" mod, it is incredible. I sort of had the misconception that I could just drop it in and have it behave as dinos in MT. Obviously there are some rough edges with that sort of use case. Either way, I look forward to seeing what you decide to add. If you ever need feedback or someone to do some testing, feel free to ask. I have a lot of free time this Summer and contributing to MT projects is a good use of time as it creates something for a lot of people.

I hope things get better for you, sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. Your mods have been pretty cool and well made. You seem like a talented person, don't beat yourself up too much. I'm sure things will work out! :)
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Turns out that the issue of mobs not attacking was not issue of PaleoTest itself. The new ray casting feature in mobs_redo was the culprit and was disabled in a relatively recent patch. Make sure you have the latest version of mobs_redo.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

ElCeejo wrote:Turns out that the issue of mobs not attacking was not issue of PaleoTest itself. The new ray casting feature in mobs_redo was the culprit and was disabled in a relatively recent patch. Make sure you have the latest version of mobs_redo.
I think I have the version from when raycasting was introduced, I'll update.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

ElCeejo wrote:Turns out that the issue of mobs not attacking was not issue of PaleoTest itself. The new ray casting feature in mobs_redo was the culprit and was disabled in a relatively recent patch. Make sure you have the latest version of mobs_redo.
You're telling me the peaceful T-Rex's weren't based on scientific findings, but instead just a bug? That's disappointing! I'm going to make a dozen backups of the scientific version here ... LOL

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Haha, so now it's clear, the reptiles got blinded ;->
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Hi ElCeejo, I hope you're feeling better!

I still would be willing to use this in my survival game, even though I'm not sure how to utilize dinos in the game in a very interesting way to enhance the core gameplay. This mod still is a lot of fun.

I don't really like how this mod places so many different ores that quickly fill up player's inventory. It takes up precious space. Mods can sometimes be bloated and I try to be picky about what nodes and items I accept into my game because sometimes less is more. I've been thinking about this in the context of Paleotest. I have a proposal/idea I'd iike to pitch to you.

Have all naturally occuring fossils be a single ore called "Unidentified Fossil". It could then stack into one single stack. Players could then go through a machine, tool, or process to identify fossils, eg. "carbon dating" or something. Then, that machine could randomly output an "identified" fossil which could then be a specific fossil for a creature that can be synthesized into DNA or stored away.

Having fossils create many stacks during spelunking really creates a pressure on players to make frequent return trips back to the surface.

In my game, players are usually looking for ores or other surprises underground and the fossils were kind of a fun ore to bring back and eventually learn how to clone.

On a seperate note, I was getting some fossils returned to me as "unknown nodes" when I was processing them when I tested this mod previously.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I would appreciate this mod to be supported by [mobkit]. Currently, there are a few problems - for example, the water mobs don't seem to be tamable, at least I cannot find it in the code. Also, none of the animals are lassoable or catchable with anything afaik. Which is painfully realistic ... but ;)
The dinosaurs are all very buggy, they can 'freeze in time' at any point. Adding compatibility with mobkit would solve this problem, I think. Other than that, thanks for this nice mod! :)

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Bit of a late reply, I've had a busy few weeks. I was contemplating a switch to mobkit, but I decided to wait until it is more refined to switch, So for now I'll stick with mobs_redo. One of my goals for 2.0 is to push mobs_redo as far as I can when it comes to mob behavior, Many of the behaviors that I was working on for 2.0 actually had to be scrapped because they required changes to the mobs_redo api itself, So I believe I've already done that. Mobkit is certainly the future of mobs in minetest but I don't think that it's quite ready yet, but when it is I will switch as soon as possible.

Edit: I completely missed FreeGamers reply! Sorry about that.

To start off, I'm feeling much happier with life now, I just needed time to move on. Now onto the PaleoTest stuff.

I can see what you're saying, while testing the mods playability in survival I noticed that is a pretty big issue. I'm already working on a concept for something like what you suggested and I have a few ideas. I can assure you that it won't be a problem in the next version :)

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

OK, thanks for considering my feedback. I'll be looking forward to the next version!

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

I'm thinking about using mobs from this mod in a time travel mod.
Currently working on new mods.

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Feel free to use them! Just give credit if you do. I'd also recommend waiting for 2.0. Some the behaviors introduced in the recent behavior update aren't working well, Or in certaincases, At all. The models were all a bit rushed, and with most of them it's easy to tell (ie. Thylacoleo, Dire Wolf) so you should probably wait for those as well.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Thanks for the response. I've made a time travel mod here featuring your mobs. Paleotest is a dependency, so updates to paleotest should show up. Credit has been provided to you.
Currently working on new mods.

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

We had the mod prehistoric_life viewtopic.php?t=17747
2 eggs (triceratops, stegosaurus) when hatching dino began to crash the server
In our world, it turns out there is already fossil.

Very similar well here more dino.

Is this his revision?
Is it possible to tame dino?

I want to slip your nodes under the old ones (prehistoric_life: fossil_block...) so as not to spoil the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGCithw5J0

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Prehistoric Life was a huge mistake, I started making it when I was 10 years old and didn't know anything about Modelling, Coding, Texturing, All the basic things you should know about modding. I didn't even take the time to learn how to do those things properly so it took a whole 4 years for me to make a somewhat usable release of the mod. Anything made by Christian9, aka 10-14 year old me, should be erased from existence. PaleoTest at the moment is still not very well made but is still better than Prehistoric Life so you're better off removing it, Adding PaleoTest, and using a mod to clear all the unknown nodes and objects.

Imk

by Imk » Post

Checked
Dino ate wheat and tamed, these do not eat)
I already thought to replace
Never tried tell me better than?

WorldEdit viewtopic.php?t=572

Replacing blocks
Type // replace blockname1 blockname2 and wait for "x Blocks replaced"

There I realized it works with the regions. And I need to replace prehistoric_life: fossil_block, prehistoric_life: permafrost blocks all over the world

I do not know how

Imk

by Imk » Post

An electric fence would be good for it to be powered by electricity viewtopic.php?t=2538

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Images broke here too.

How's the revision/update coming?

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

I found that you have 169 useless ABMs in fossils.lua.

Firstly, you register a set of 13 ABMs for each dinosaur.

Secondly, you can merge them all into one and choose a random dinosaur in the ABM function.

Thirdly, you can replace that ABM by an LBM.

And finally, paleotest:fossil_block doesn't occur anywhere, so you can trash it completely.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

MyordasMineTest

by MyordasMineTest » Post

Request for new dinosaurs:
Placoderms
Thelodont
Baryonyx
Maisaura
Megapiranha
Guanlong
Trilobite
Belemite
Osteoracii

There's a lot of pictures of placoderms in Wikipedia with CC licenses.
Last edited by MyordasMineTest on Sun Dec 15, 2019 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

nmhk
GitHub: Nikomaru
In-game: nmhk

by nmhk » Post

Running 4.17 with compatibility. Bones: line 4 have a problem saying sandstone doesn't exist. Changed to sand for fix. Haven't found any good in desert, yet.

Nodes freaked out about the fence also not existing. Removed "_rail" from name for fix. Fences work fine after.

Mobs do an up-down jitter when spawned. What's that about? After a random time they start moving normally.
Spoiler
cdb_b7c7e951d406

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

MyordasMineTest wrote:Request for new dinosaurs:
Placoderms
Thelodont
Baryonyx
Maisaura
Megapiranha
Guanlong
Trilobite
Belemite
Osteoracii

There's a lot of pictures of placoderms in Wikipedia with CC licenses.
There's already a placoderm, unless you mean a smaller/earlier species. A few of those may not be added but there are a few on that list that will be added or have a close relative added.
nmhk wrote:Running 4.17 with compatibility. Bones: line 4 have a problem saying sandstone doesn't exist. Changed to sand for fix. Haven't found any good in desert, yet.

Nodes freaked out about the fence also not existing. Removed "_rail" from name for fix. Fences work fine after.

Mobs do an up-down jitter when spawned. What's that about? After a random time they start moving normally.
Not sure what could cause that to happen but I'll look into it. As for fences, I'd assume it has something to do with your minetest version. On 5.0 those bugs don't seem to happen. As for the jitter, It's probably because of mobs_redo. the default spawning for mobs_redo assumes a small collision box, which wouldn't work too well with massive animals. I'm ditching mobs_redo for mobkit as soon as I find the time to add some sort of support for larger collision boxes myself or the devs add it.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Hi ElCeejo,

I've been editing this mod to fit into my game. I've done some of the changes I was describing before. I've removed all the individiaul fossils and bones and made a single craft item called "unidentified fossil" and "prehistoric bone". the plan is to get the Fossil analyzer to output a random fossil after its identified.

However, I've been trying to get the fossil analyzer to do this but have trouble figuring this out. I don't understand the meta allow put section to work.

If you have time could you please make a suggestion?
https://www.notabug.org/FreeGamers/sara ... alyzer.lua

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

If I'm being entirely honest, at the time that code was written I was a lot worse with lua and had little idea what I was doing. I'll look through it and try understand what it all does again but most of my focus has been on updating this mod so I can't promise that I'll get back to you quickly.