[mod] PaleoTest [2.1.2] [paleotest]

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: [Mod] Dinosaurs in Minetest! [1.40] [paleotest]

by FreeGamers » Post

I commented on this before and discussed how to integrate this into survival mode a bit more.

I started working on that over the weekend but got stuck on the functions that allow inputs into the DNA analyzer.

I've been complicating some of the mod and this is also degbugging certain parts of it.

The mobs themselves are really good though. You make some good models, sounds, and the way you swap between water and land is very nice, I've looked at a lot of mods and mobs and its not very common to see that done.

The mod I linked in my last post is not complete. It will run but the mobs are not properly linked to their assets. The part I was asking you to look at is the dna_analyzer. I've asked for help from my community on this too but havent heard back.

I would like to be able to input fossil and bone craftitem (two items) and have them output a random dna.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

Re: [Mod] Dinosaurs in Minetest! [1.40] [paleotest]

by ElCeejo » Post

ElCeejo

Update 2.0!

by ElCeejo » Post

It's been quite a while since the last update but this one is huge. I'll start off with the API and list more changes from there.

PaleoTest 2.0 uses mobkit and mob core instead of the mobs redo. This means mobs are now much more complex and unique, with varying movement patterns, "learning" things on the fly, and many more things you'll see while playing.

All assets are brand new, and much higher quality than the previous versions. Each texture was made by hand without use of noise, each model was made in a consistent style, and every creature has it's own unique sounds.

Keeping Animals is no longer as simple as hatching an egg and leaving it. Now you must keep them fed and enriched using feeders and toys. If you don't meet the Animals care requirements they will become unhappy and aggressive, and the bigger ones may even break free from their enclosures.

You're no longer guaranteed DNA from Fossils. Now you're more likely to get sand or gravel.

To obtain mammals you must impregnate a mammal from mobkit using a Embryonic Syringe.

Plants now grow from sprouts, and Horsetails will spread through shaded areas.

There's a lot more to go over that I don't feel like typing out here. The mod is already up on ContentDB and the source code is public on GitHub. Enjoy!

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Re: [mod] PaleoTest [2.0] [paleotest] (Updated to mobkit!)

by CalebJ » Post

Congrats on the release ElCeejo, well done. Hopefully Tunnelers' Abyss will have the new version shortly.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Really glad to see this up and running . was very impressed when i first tried this mod ,rather upset that it kept crashing on me . but no problems now you reworked it .
The Trex noises are terrifying , expecially when its pacing back and forth on the roof of my little hobbit hole .
One thing i did note is the dinos are not very defensive agianst other predators . my world is a brutal one so its full of them .
it would be great if the other predators got punched high in the air when they made contact with a dinosaur . not sure if that is possible to implement though .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

I went for more realistic behavior with the new mobs, rather than the more Jurassic Park-y behavior of the old mobs. If you leave them without toys to play with to keep their mood with then they will start fighting each other. Predatory Dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus will hunt herbivores Triceratops though, and the Triceratops will defend itself if the predator gets too close for comfort. Getting punched into the air during fights was actually a thing in the earlier development of 2.0 but I got rid of it for being a bit too cartoony and problematic. Also, when you say it kept crashing are you talking about the old version or this new version? If it's with the new version please report it on the GitHub page.

ElCeejo

Update 2.0.1

by ElCeejo » Post

New small patch with a bit of new content. This update requires updating your mob core version.

- Heavily reduced lag
- Potential crash fix
- Fixed infinite plant seeds
- Added Carnotaurus

Carnotaurus

Carnotaurus is a large aggressive predator that will prey on things similar in size to itself.
It will run from any predators larger than itself but will attempt to fight back if they get too close..
It becomes aggressive when it's mood drops lower than 70.

robins80

Re: [mod] PaleoTest [2.0.1] [paleotest] (Updated to mobkit!)

by robins80 » Post

I'm a Minetest noob and am trying to figure out how to install this. I extracted the zip to a folder in the games folder called paleotest, but the game is not showing up in my list of installed games. What am I doing wrong?

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

robins80 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 13:29
I'm a Minetest noob and am trying to figure out how to install this. I extracted the zip to a folder in the games folder called paleotest, but the game is not showing up in my list of installed games. What am I doing wrong?
the best way is to use minetests own installer for mods
go to the content tab and look at the bottom for "browse online content" then select the mods etc you wish to install , this way minetest keeps track of updates and you can see in the list which one of yours need updating in the future .
this is far easier than manually installing where you may have to rename or select the folder inside the main folder in order for it to run.
if you have to manually install a mod that is not featured doublecheck "-master" is removed from the end in order for it to work
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

robins80

by robins80 » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 14:18
robins80 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 13:29
the best way is to use minetests own installer for mods
go to the content tab and look at the bottom for "browse online content" then select the mods etc you wish to install , this way minetest keeps track of updates and you can see in the list which one of yours need updating in the future .
this is far easier than manually installing where you may have to rename or select the folder inside the main folder in order for it to run.
if you have to manually install a mod that is not featured doublecheck "-master" is removed from the end in order for it to work
Problem is, it doesn't show up when I search for it using Minetest's installer.

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

It should be on there. Just type in "ElCeejo" and PaleoTest and Mob Core should show up.

robins80

by robins80 » Post

Strange, it wasn't there when I searched yesterday, but is now. Thanks!

snuupy

by snuupy » Post

Hello,

in a minetest 5.3 I finally successfully installed Paleotest and all dependencies it asked for (I hope). However eggs are not hatching. What can go wrong?

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Eggs have to be close to a torch, mese lamp, fire (Not recommended) or other warm nodes to hatch, but if it's too close then it won't work. You can right-click them with the Prehistoric Field Guide to track progress.

lonestar

by lonestar » Post

Installed this and played it for a long time and no dinos spawned. So I grabbed an egg to spawn one and got this error

Code: Select all

2020-11-01 19:50:29: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod '??' in callback luaentity_Step(): ...minetest/stable/minetest/bin/../mods/mobkit/init.lua:930: attempt to index field 'lastvelocity' (a nil value)
2020-11-01 19:50:29: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-11-01 19:50:29: ERROR[Main]: 	...minetest/stable/minetest/bin/../mods/mobkit/init.lua:930: in function 'stepfunc'
2020-11-01 19:50:29: ERROR[Main]: 	...st/stable/minetest/bin/../mods/paleotest/api/api.lua:88: in function 'old_step'
2020-11-01 19:50:29: ERROR[Main]: 	...able/minetest/bin/../mods/paleotest/api/register.lua:53: in function <...able/minetest/bin/../mods/paleotest/api/register.lua:52>
2020-11-01 19:50:29: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'add_entity'
2020-11-01 19:50:29: ERROR[Main]: 	...inetest/stable/minetest/bin/../mods/mob_core/api.lua:113: in function <...inetest/stable/minetest/bin/../mods/mob_core/api.lua:108>
After game crashed, went back in and there was a T-Rex there, but it had a pink/black skin on it. Exited back out of the game and restarted world, the same error as above is displayed and could no longer start the world.

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Make sure your mobkit version is up to date. Dinosaurs aren't meant to spawn in the wild, you need to clone them. There's a tutorial on title page and CDB page.

snuupy

by snuupy » Post

Actually I have same problem as lonestar. As I installed whole thing 3 days agou including, mobkit and mob core from DB content I suppose it should be the last version.
AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod '??' in callback luaentity_Activate(): ...snap/minetest/1619/.minetest/mods/mobkit/init.lua:902: attempt to index field 'textures' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...snap/minetest/1619/.minetest/mods/mobkit/init.lua:902: in function 'actfunc'
...snap/minetest/1619/.minetest/mods/mob core/api.lua:562: in function 'on_activate'
...snap/minetest/1619/.minetest/mods/Paleotest/api/api.lua:67: in function 'on_activate'
...netest/1619/.minetest/mods/Paleotest/mobs/pteranodon.lua:163: in function 'old_act'
.../minetest/1619/.minetest/mods/Paleotest/api/register.lua:44: in function <.../minetest/1619/.minetest/mods/Paleotest/api/register.lua:43>
Is there any helpo. A my installer is not working as weel I installed it manually. THX for help

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

I've made an update to Mob Core that should hopefully fix this.

snuupy

by snuupy » Post

Great, so far it is working , eggs are hatching. Thank you

ElCeejo

Update 2.1

by ElCeejo » Post

New update time! This time we have some important changes.

- Added crafting recipes for Feeders
- Added imprint timer to Field Guide
- Fixed mobs going to farthest position when playing or grazing
- Pteranodon now follows orders
- Added Quetzalcoatlus

Quetzalcoatlus

Quetzalcoatlus is a massive pterosaur, currently thought to be one of the biggest flying creatures of all time.

Quetzalcoatlus can be tamed by feeding it 20 pieces of meat as a child. Once tamed and grown Quetzalcoatlus can be ridden. They're slow on land but can fly at decent speed once in the air.

Controls (on a QWERTY keyboard):

W = Forward
S = Down
Jump = Up
Shift = Dismount

Quetzalcoatlus isn't naturally aggressive but will kill small/baby mobs, which raises it's mood by 10 points.

ElCeejo

Patch 2.1.1

by ElCeejo » Post

Just a quick bug-fix patch

- Fixed certain mobs freezing after being born
- Fixed crafting recipes not working
- Fixed Feeders dropping duplicate
- Fixed Quetzalcoatlus not appearing

voxelproof

Re: Update 2.1

by voxelproof » Post

ElCeejo wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 01:33
New update time! This time we have some important changes.

- Added Quetzalcoatlus

Quetzalcoatlus is a massive pterosaur, currently thought to be one of the biggest flying creatures of all time.
If really it could fly, btw some scientists cast a doubt on whether they were able to fly actively (probably made only glides from cliffs). Nice addition, great mod :)
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

ElCeejo

Re: [mod] PaleoTest [2.1.1] [paleotest]

by ElCeejo » Post

Thanks! For the Quetzalcoatlus I went with the speculated stork-like behavior, with them moving around by flying and hunting on the ground. Being able to fly, let alone hold a human is definitely a stretch but I feel like it makes it more fun of a creature without going too fantastical like ARK.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

I've run the latest version of your mod, everything seems to be OK and I'll tell you what, the roar of T-Rex is utterly terrific (which in this case means it's really good)... and its killing range needs a lot of respect xD
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Beam0063
In-game: Beam

by Beam0063 » Post

ElCeejo I have two bugs to report:

1 Plesiosaurus fins don't have textures
https://i.imgur.com/WRz3VTA.jpg

2 Scratching post textures gone black
https://i.imgur.com/WRz3VTA.jpg
Last edited by Beam0063 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:51, edited 3 times in total.