[mod] PaleoTest [2.1.2] [paleotest]

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

[mod] PaleoTest [2.1.2] [paleotest]

by ElCeejo » Post

PaleoTest adds various prehistoric creatures and plants to Minetest Game. This mod aims for a Zoo Tycoon type experience, with creatures being capable of escaping and players having to ensure their Dinosaurs mood and hunger don't drop too low.

Caring for animals:
Spoiler
Animals will become aggressive if their mood drops too low, and their health will drop slowly if their hunger is too low, so it is important to keep them happy and fed.

To ensure your mob is happy you must keep a Scratching Post and/or Pursuit Ball in their enclosure for them to play with.

There are 3 types of feeders, Carnivore, Herbivore, and Piscivore. Having one in your animals enclosure can keep them fed, but they must be filled with the appropriate items.

The Prehistoric Field Guide is essential to monitoring your animal. It will tell you important information such as it's current mood and hunger, it's owner, and diet.

Certain animals can break blocks weaker than steel if they get angry, make sure to keep bigger animals in high security enclosures.
Cloning extinct animals
Spoiler
The first step in cloning an animal is obtaining DNA. To do this you must mine fossils underground. The items that yield DNA are Fossils and Ancient Bones.

Once you've obtained Fossils/Bones, they can be inserted into a Fossil Analyzer. After a few seconds the Fossil/Bone will yield DNA or a random waste material.

If you've got DNA, simply insert it into a DNA Cultivator. After a few minutes you'll have one of the items that will birth a prehistoric creature.

For Eggs you must place the egg next to a source of heat, such as a torch or mese lamp.

For Embryonic Syringes you must insert an embryo into a mammal of some kind, such as a cow or pig. You can monitor the animals pregnancy progress with the Prehistoric Field Guide.

For Embryonic Sacs you simply need to place the sac in water.

Code: Select all

Changelog:
- Fixed crash related to Carnotaurus
- Fixed uncommon crash when feeders resort their inventory

2.1.1:
- Fixed certain mobs freezing after being born
- Fixed crafting recipes not working
- Fixed Feeders dropping duplicate
- Fixed Quetzalcoatlus not appearing

2.1:
- Added crafting recipes for Feeders
- Added imprint timer to Field Guide
- Fixed mobs going to farthest position when playing or grazing
- Pteranodon now follows orders
- Added Quetzalcoatlus

2.0.1:
- Heavily reduced lag
- Fixed infinite plant seeds in survival
- Added Carnotaurus

2.0:
- Switched to Mobkit/Mob Core
- Full visual/audio/behavior overhaul for all mobs
- Added multiple growth stages to Cycads and Horsetails
- Added Metasequoia
- Added Feeders
- Added Prehistoric Field Guide
- Added unique meat drops for each mob group
- Added Whip
- Added Embryo Syringes
- New UI for machines
License: GNU General Public
Dependencies: default, walls, stairs, mobkit, mob_core
Download
Source

Thanks to CalebJ, Flux, Cahr/Stix, Cyber_Shinobi, and zips.exe for beta testing
Last edited by ElCeejo on Wed Feb 24, 2021 06:24, edited 23 times in total.

L22
In-game: L22

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [0.1] [paleotest]

by L22 » Post

Just took a quick look at it. Looks great!

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Wow, there has already been a second Dinosaurs mod! I will look at this!

runs

by runs » Post

any pics of the dinos?

ElCeejo

Update 1.1

by ElCeejo » Post

Update 1.1 is here!

Mobs that aren't hatched from eggs now use Embryonic Sacs.

You can now add Sarcosuchus, a giant 12 metre long crocodile, to your minetest worlds!

WayBack Machine

by WayBack Machine » Post

runs wrote:any pics of the dinos?
There were pics, looking very Jurassic Park-y, before the forum crashed :
https://web.archive.org/web/20190420074 ... =9&t=22253

ElCeejo wrote:Update...
The greater the range of mobs and behaviors the better. KUTGW

ElCeejo

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.1] [paleotest]

by ElCeejo » Post

If all goes as planned update 1.3 will have massive changes to behaviour.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

ElCeejo wrote:If all goes as planned update 1.3 will have massive changes to behaviour.
Great! I had made a few remarks on the behaviour of the herbivores before the Forum crashed as you maybe remember. It would be really exciting to see some mild threat from those beasts of trampling a player's character. In the future maybe it would also be worth considering adding some sounds of heavy stomps which added so much thrill to the original "Jurassic Park" movie scenes :) The models are great and I am pondering the higher resolution textures which may add a lot more 'scariness' to them.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

WayBack Machine

by WayBack Machine » Post

voxelproof wrote:
ElCeejo wrote:If all goes as planned update 1.3 will have massive changes to behaviour.
I had made a few remarks on the behaviour of the herbivores before the Forum crashed as you maybe remember...
Astrobe wrote: » Fri Apr 12, 2019 15:48
Sometimes herbivores (like elephants, IIRC) can be aggressive if you get too close. Setting the mob to "monster", "attack_animals=false" and a short vision range could do the trick. The only thing is that carnivores (other "monsters") won't attack them. It can be refined by using "specific_attack" in predator defs, but I never used it.
voxelproof wrote: » Fri Apr 12, 2019 17:46
Yes, it would add that mythical 'depth' to the game if the food chain could be properly implemented in games with some simple ecosystems...
Memory not necessary. See : https://web.archive.org/web/20190420074 ... =9&t=22253

"Game-Depth" indeed! A range of feasible entity behaviors, with customizable dietary-preferences (groups and specifics) but all subject to fuzzy-logic and maybe evolving algorithms. Heading toward the possibility of basic but autonomous "ecosystem simulations" with unpredictable outcomes. Here's hoping!

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

I'm working hard on making a lot more depth to the animals behavior based on environment. In 1.3, Spinosaurus will be passive unless approached while on land, but while in water it will actively hunt the player and animals.

ElCeejo

Update 1.2

by ElCeejo » Post

Update 1.2 is here! This will be the 1st Phase in a overhaul to mob behavior, animations, models and textures.

Tamed and Baby mob behavior changes:
- Babies are no longer hostile
- Babies now walk slower
- Tamed mobs will protect their owner

Triceratops changes:
- New walk & idle animations
- Fixed bug related to attacking

Velociraptor changes:
- Better proportions
- Feathers are now visible
- New animations

Spinosaurus changes:
- Will now show swim animation, will actively hunt players and animals while in water

Sarcosuchus changes:
- Will now show swim animation, will actively hunt players and animals while in water

Mobs Redo 1.49 or newer is now required.

This was update is currently available on Github and is awaiting approval on ContentDB.

ElCeejo

Hot Patch

by ElCeejo » Post

1.21 Hot Patch

- Fixed Animations for Sarcosuchus and Spinosaurus
- Sarcosuchus and Spinosaurus now "fly" in water
- Sarcosuchus is now properly called in init.lua

ElCeejo

Update 1.30

by ElCeejo » Post

1.3 "Quality Phase 2" is here!

Overall changes:
- Dinosaurs will now sleep at night, except Velociraptor which sleeps at day
- Aquatic mobs will now get beached when they go on land. You will be able to push them back into water.
- Minor bug fixes

Tyrannosaurus changes:
- Slight model updates

Stegosaurus changes:
- Fixed bug with tail spikes not appearing correctly

Spinosaurus changes:
- Model now sits lower in the water while swimming

The Quality updates are aiming to add a better level of immersion to the mobs, and better quality to their models and animations. If you have something you'd like to see I'll try my hardest to add it.

For frequent updates on the mods development follow my twitter page.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [Mod] Dinosaurs in Minetest! [1.30] [paleotest]

by Chem871 » Post

What about giant millipedes and other insects? The dinosaurs weren't the ONLY giant creatures in prehistoric times..... :D
What is SCP-055?

ElCeejo

Re: [Mod] Dinosaurs in Minetest! [1.30] [paleotest]

by ElCeejo » Post

I definitely plan to have things like Arthropleura and Meganeura very soon. Right now I'm trying to add more depth to the mobs by making them behave more realistically, like having Spinosaurus be semi passive on land, and aggressive in water. This next update tomorrow will be the last one focusing on behaviour so you can expect to see some new mobs within the next month :)

ElCeejo

Update 1.40

by ElCeejo » Post

Sorry I didn't get around to getting this out yesterday but here it is.

Overall changes:
- bug fixes
- Certain Megafauna now sleep at night

Pteranodon changes:
- will now land on occasion
- new textures for Males and Babies

Dire Wolf changes
- new tamed behavior
- new textures

This will probably be the last big update until summer comes along. I'm working on another project and I don't have time to work on both.

voxelproof

Re: Update 1.40

by voxelproof » Post

ElCeejo wrote:Sorry I didn't get around to getting this out yesterday but here it is.

Overall changes:
- bug fixes
- Certain Megafauna now sleep at night

Pteranodon changes:
- will now land on occasion
- new textures for Males and Babies

Dire Wolf changes
- new tamed behavior
- new textures

This will probably be the last big update until summer comes along. I'm working on another project and I don't have time to work on both.
Great to see the work still in progress. It's quite ambitious project and I think that your mod combined with a good mapgen will make for emerging a playable game. I hope you won't abandon it :) When I find some time and a proper world I'll make some screenshots.

@Chem871 - there're literally thousands of interesting from a player's point of view species so constraining the game's content in this regard is a pretty resonable choice. ElCeejo's mod certainly isn't about insects and to keep the main theme coherent it's certainly best to focus on one kind of animals.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: [Mod] Dinosaurs in Minetest! [1.40] [paleotest]

by FreeGamers » Post

Hi, I like your mod. The models fit in great with the world and the dinos are a great addition.

Yesterday I wanted to experiment with them spawning in the wild and it was a very confusing process on getting it to work. I tried to edit the init.lua file to add declarations on the wild_spawning boolean but it didn't work. Eventually I realized I had to add wild_spawning = true into the minetest.conf file to get it to work. Could you add something to the init to declare this or add a note in the readme about how this setting works? I was worried I'd have to manually edit each individual dino .lua file to get it to work. I spent a good hour or so playing around with the mod files figuring this out. I posted in the Minetest IRC about this yesterday and was encouraged by rubenwardy to post feedback here.

I've added this mod to my server and I think it makes a great addition. My sister (and most kids) love dinosaurs and dinosaur park themes. The way the fossils fit into the world as a sort of "ore" is thematically perfect for the game in my opinion. I may tweak my configuration to allow certain mobs to spawn in the wild but for now they're set as fossils and the players in my world have just started coming across them and asking about them. I'm looking forward to playing around with the mobs a bit more.
I found it a bit odd that the dinos don't wake up when you attack them at night. It felt a bit out of place. Perhaps the behavior could be changed so that they wake and attack if disturbed, and then go back to sleep once a player is out of range or dead.
Thanks for your mod!
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Thanks! I always like seeing positive feedback and suggestions. I'll look into having dinosaurs wake up when attacked.

lonestar

by lonestar » Post

The tyrannosaurus has a skin issue, it has a pink/black texture.

On line 77 of tyrannosaurus.lua, it has:

textures = textures_awake,
I edited it to:

textures = {
		{"paleotest_tyrannosaurus1.png"},
		{"paleotest_tyrannosaurus2.png"},
	},
Now skin shows up right.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

A few screenies of those truly gorgeous beasts... however imo some textures should perhaps be more saturated and have higher contrast, showing skiny appearance.

Sounds are pretty good. They managed to scare me :) However the animals as far as I can see for now behave very passively, only T-Rex once attacked me but only when I hit him. Maybe they need some time to get accustomed with a new environment where they were brought back to life ;)
Attachments
paleo3.jpg
paleo3.jpg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
paleo2.jpg
paleo2.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
paleo1.jpg
paleo1.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 5702 times

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Very cool mod. I would argue that it is the Minetest equivalent of the Minecraft mod fossils and archaeology revival.
Currently working on new mods.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

voxelproof wrote:However the animals as far as I can see for now behave very passively, only T-Rex once attacked me but only when I hit him. Maybe they need some time to get accustomed with a new environment where they were brought back to life ;)
Perhaps the most realistic, as new fossil evidence seems to suggest that T-Rex was actually a scavenger.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

CalebJ wrote:
voxelproof wrote:However the animals as far as I can see for now behave very passively, only T-Rex once attacked me but only when I hit him. Maybe they need some time to get accustomed with a new environment where they were brought back to life ;)
Perhaps the most realistic, as new fossil evidence seems to suggest that T-Rex was actually a scavenger.
So disappointing... No car chase scenes then ;-) The general setting of your game makes building Jurassic Park - type maps an obvious goal of the play. Whether it is your game or any other (like MC2 or mods featuring mobs) I still miss the beasts posing a substancial threat to the player's character (thus affecting the gameplay style). They should perhaps make the environment more perilous... But in any other aspect, your animals are really well done and made with some research on the subject as far as I can see :)

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

So disappointing... No car chase scenes then ;-) The general setting of your game makes building Jurassic Park - type maps an obvious goal of the play. Whether it is your game or any other (like MC2 or mods featuring mobs) I still miss the beasts posing a substancial threat to the player's character (thus affecting the gameplay style). They should perhaps make the environment more perilous... But in any other aspect, your animals are really well done and made with some research on the subject as far as I can see :)
I would have to second this observation. The mob configs are definitely tweaked towards being passive and seemingly intended to display proper behavior of a dino in a park exhibit. The mobs don't act very aggressively towards players and have a very short view distance for enemies. This can be tweaked per the mobs_redo api. I eventually plan to do this for my own server.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft