[Mod] Snow Biomes [4.0] [snow]

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Ice bergs would be more impressive it they have height and depth. Now they look more like ice sheets.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Temperest wrote:I believe the plants are interfering with snow placement.
Should make snow kill all non-snow growing plants...
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Post

@Bas080
What mod are you using for the plants? Try adding "snow" to the depends.txt of that mod.
Yes the snow on stone is an alpine biome.
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Splizard wrote:@Bas080
What mod are you using for the plants? Try adding "snow" to the depends.txt of that mod.
My own plants mod. Adding depend will make the snow mod perform before plants?

Btw i'm making jungle biome. For now I made jungle trees that are max 20 nodes high. I'm checking out your code to see how you made smooth biomes.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Bas080 wrote:
Splizard wrote:@Bas080
My own plants mod. Adding depend will make the snow mod perform before plants?

Btw i'm making jungle biome. For now I made jungle trees that are max 20 nodes high. I'm checking out your code to see how you made smooth biomes.
Yes, depending on snow mod should run snow mod's on_generated before the other mod.
I hope you get jungle biomes working, would be nice to see jungles back in the game :)
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

when destroying the block below it, snow doesnt come into your inventory as snowballs.
Meow.

That is all.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

GloopMaster wrote:when destroying the block below it, snow doesnt come into your inventory as snowballs.
That is intentional, would you rather it goes in to your inventory?

FooeytheMiner

by FooeytheMiner » Post

YAY! :D Snow Biomes!
I Am A Ninja. FEAR MEEEE!!! *Pew shoooooooo pew pew pew*

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

Splizard wrote:
GloopMaster wrote:when destroying the block below it, snow doesnt come into your inventory as snowballs.
That is intentional, would you rather it goes in to your inventory?
Yes, or at least make that snow fall to the block below it (e.g. make it a falling node like the other, larger snow block).
Meow.

That is all.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I wouldn't mind if this was also sensitive to map coordinates. Like the higher (or lower) in the North or South of the map the more likely you run into Snow with +29000 more or less ALL snow biome.
Last edited by Michael Eh? on Mon Oct 01, 2012 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Post

I would love to see some snow physically falling, and bigger biomes. That would make this perfect.
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

GJH105775

by GJH105775 » Post

Great mod! +1
Check out my mod xtrablocks, has some different types of marble that you can build with or mine at different depths

I am not here regularly as I just kind of pop in and out. If you want to find me I'll be on quadcopterforum.com helping with multirotor builds and spending other's money haha.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/ ... hicons.jpg

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

One gripe, there is nothing to do with pine needles. ie. you can't use them in place of leaves in furnace. They won't burn. Maybe something for the next release.

Still looking for moss. I took some of the pine seedlings to plant around my buildings. Nice if the tree stump was 2 blocks high than 1. I place dirt then the seedling. Once it grew up, I replaced it with a log so I could walk under it.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Still looking for moss.
Moss is definitely there and it spreads.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Hmm. Could you make some of the ice-bergs have more ice blocks above/below them? That would look cool. And the larger icebergs should have more ice below them than above them. Just an idea.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This mod works and generates as well as the default biomes of Minetest-c55. Hybrid Dog created a mod that makes swamp biomes, which I hope will be as stable as this mod one day.

Is there a way you could make an icy stone to be beneath your snow biomes just like desert stone is beneath desert biomes and swamp stone is beneath Hybrid Dog's swamps?

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Version 1.3 out! Now you can make igloos, but be sure not to put a torch in them :D

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Awesome! Is snow renewable? Does it regenerate occasionally?

If not, I think it might be possible to add with an ABM (like the one that turns dirt into grass) that would test against the perlin noise for if the dirt was inside a snow biome and regenerate it if it was.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Temperest wrote:Awesome! Is snow renewable? Does it regenerate occasionally?

If not, I think it might be possible to add with an ABM (like the one that turns dirt into grass) that would test against the perlin noise for if the dirt was inside a snow biome and regenerate it if it was.
No, snow is not renewable yet. Thanks for the idea, I will try to include that in the next version.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Updated to version 1.4
There are two new biomes, Snowy and Plain.
Christmas trees can be found when digging pine needles:
Now there is also snowfall which falls in snow biomes, this can be disabled in config if it is too laggy for your server.
Last edited by Splizard on Fri Dec 21, 2012 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Snowfall is the best! Thanks for the update.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

Works well for me, thanks!

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Something new known as L-Systems has been created and it has a part dedicated to tree generation. This might be useful to you one day.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

First, great mod!

Second, some issues with the snow falling where ever I go in the map, even in the deserts.The snow falls very sporadically. One or two falling snow nodes will drop down, and then nothing for a minute, then another falling snow node. This leaves very scattered, single, dirt/sand_with_snow nodes. I was expecting snow fall to be more concentrated and consistant to create a snow blanketed area.

I tested your snow biomes mod in a vanilla world, your's was the only mod installed, and there was *no* snow fall in the deserts. When I tried the snow biomes mod in a world with several other mods installed, there *was* snow fall in the deserts. So maybe it's a glitch caused by one of the other mods?

The mods I have installed are:
ambience, bookmarks, craft_guide, landup, multinode,walking_light, watergone, WorldEdit, Calinou.Mods-master (moreblocks, moreores, stairsplus, maptools), moretrees, plantlife, noncubic, xdoors2, xfences, xpanes

For now I've disabled the falling snow in the config file as suggested in an earlier post. However; I'm still getting this error message repeatedly in the chat:

Code: Select all

ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "snow:fall_entity" not defined

Third, some suggestions for future versions of the snow biomes mod.
"/nosnow" A chat command to designate an already generated area as a no-snow zone for places in a map that have been built in and the player doesn't want the snow to fall there.

"/snow" A chat command to designate an already generated area to become a snow biome.

"/blizzard' A chat command to designate an area to have constant snow fall.

An option to work with the landup mod (or future versions of minetest that have hight altitude mountains) to make mountain tops automatic snow biomes.

Grey skys. Have you ever gone to a 30,000 edge of a minetest world? The "edge-of-the-world" is a medium grey. Maybe that could be used to replace the sky during a blizzard. No clouds, no stars, just grey skys. Also the time of day is changed to mid-dawn or early dusk when the ambient lighting is dimmed.

Slippery ice. Walking or running on ice messes up the controls. Turn too fast and you'll spin a couple times. Press the key to walk forward and you actually walk slightly diagonal. Stop walking on ice is a brief slide. Stop running on ice results in a long slide before actually coming to a full stop.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
Last edited by LazyJ on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

LazyJ wrote:First, great mod!
Thanks! sorry for the late reply I have been on holiday for a week.
Second, some issues with the snow falling where ever I go in the map, even in the deserts.The snow falls very sporadically. One or two falling snow nodes will drop down, and then nothing for a minute, then another falling snow node. This leaves very scattered, single, dirt/sand_with_snow nodes. I was expecting snow fall to be more concentrated and consistant to create a snow blanketed area.
Snowfall at the moment is done sporadically to reduce load on servers.
I am waiting for this feature to be added into minetest, for a better snowing experience: (Lua-sided particles)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tep_ZQyDJIo
https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/pull/453
If that is added to minetest I will implement snowfall in a more realistic way.
I tested your snow biomes mod in a vanilla world, your's was the only mod installed, and there was *no* snow fall in the deserts. When I tried the snow biomes mod in a world with several other mods installed, there *was* snow fall in the deserts. So maybe it's a glitch caused by one of the other mods?

The mods I have installed are:
ambience, bookmarks, craft_guide, landup, multinode,walking_light, watergone, WorldEdit, Calinou.Mods-master (moreblocks, moreores, stairsplus, maptools), moretrees, plantlife, noncubic, xdoors2, xfences, xpanes

For now I've disabled the falling snow in the config file as suggested in an earlier post. However; I'm still getting this error message repeatedly in the chat:

Code: Select all

ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "snow:fall_entity" not defined
Snowfall only falls in snow biomes which sometimes overlap with deserts I will try and fix this sort of thing in a later version of snow mod.
The error you get is nothing to worry about it should go away after a little while.
Third, some suggestions for future versions of the snow biomes mod.
"/nosnow" A chat command to designate an already generated area as a no-snow zone for places in a map that have been built in and the player doesn't want the snow to fall there.

"/snow" A chat command to designate an already generated area to become a snow biome.

"/blizzard' A chat command to designate an area to have constant snow fall.

An option to work with the landup mod (or future versions of minetest that have hight altitude mountains) to make mountain tops automatic snow biomes.
Thanks for the ideas, I am waiting on the Lua-sided particles (see above) which will make these things much more practical.
Grey skys. Have you ever gone to a 30,000 edge of a minetest world? The "edge-of-the-world" is a medium grey. Maybe that could be used to replace the sky during a blizzard. No clouds, no stars, just grey skys. Also the time of day is changed to mid-dawn or early dusk when the ambient lighting is dimmed.

Slippery ice. Walking or running on ice messes up the controls. Turn too fast and you'll spin a couple times. Press the key to walk forward and you actually walk slightly diagonal. Stop walking on ice is a brief slide. Stop running on ice results in a long slide before actually coming to a full stop.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
There is no way to change lighting or have slippery blocks in minetest mods yet but I
will be happy to add these features as soon as it becomes possible.
Thanks for your feedback!