[Mod] Snow Biomes [4.0] [snow]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

SPLizard: regarding snow falling in deserts, someone pointed me to the perlin values used to generate deserts in-game, which I've integrated into Plantlife/plants_lib as a humidity map. Relevant excerpt from that mod:

Code: Select all

local humidity_seeddiff = 9130
local humidity_octaves = 3
local humidity_persistence = 0.5
local humidity_scale = 250
[...]
local perlin3 = minetest.env:get_perlin(humidity_seeddiff, humidity_octaves, humidity_persistence, humidity_scale)
A value of 0.4 is the edge of a desert; higher values are more dry.

Figured this would be useful for the snow mod, since I also use your mod's Perlin settings to establish a temperature map in Plantlife. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

There is no way to change lighting or have slippery blocks in minetest mods yet
Have you tried to set acceleration to a player?

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Snow in the desert is not such a big problem I think. Deserts can get cold at night. And not every desert is a hot place.

The mod works fine for me. I've even built a small house in my current singleplayer game right next to a snow biome. Only the trees could fit better to the moretrees-mod (if installed). The trees themshelves are fine; the thrunks still seem to be normal tree instead of a specific variant.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Post

VanessaE wrote:Figured this would be useful for the snow mod, since I also use your mod's Perlin settings to establish a temperature map in Plantlife. :-)
Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get that to work.
4aiman wrote:Have you tried to set acceleration to a player?
Yeah that only works for LUASAO entities.
Sokomine wrote:The mod works fine for me. I've even built a small house in my current singleplayer game right next to a snow biome. Only the trees could fit better to the moretrees-mod (if installed). The trees themshelves are fine; the thrunks still seem to be normal tree instead of a specific variant.
The trunks are meant to be default wood.
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I'm curious and haven't tried this myself - does moretrees work well alongside snow biomes?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Yeah concerning VanessaE's post, a quick note about the desert generating perlin i found looking through the minetest mapgen.cpp, there is an important co-ordinate offset too ..

local perlin = minetest.env:get_perlin(9130,3,0.5,250)
local noise = perlin:get2d({x=x+150,y=z+50})
I like the icy deserts, and yes deserts can be cold places. The perlin you use for snow biomes seems to be becoming the standard minetest temperature map.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

VanessaE wrote:I'm curious and haven't tried this myself - does moretrees work well alongside snow biomes?
It does not seem too, since moretrees spawn on grass and there is generally not a lot of grass in snow biomes.

@paramat
Thanks
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Regarding snowfall: perhaps it would be good to have ABMs generate the snow over things like dirt and such, and have snow falling as purely a visual effect?

Mainly because snow should be renewable.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Temperest wrote:Regarding snowfall: perhaps it would be good to have ABMs generate the snow over things like dirt and such, and have snow falling as purely a visual effect?

That's natural way of things :)

Want to see different levels of snow also. Say, if there's 1/16 of a snow, then, if snowfall, make it 2/16.
If there 15/16 then make it whole block and prepare to add 1/16 on top of that :)
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Temperest wrote:Regarding snowfall: perhaps it would be good to have ABMs generate the snow over things like dirt and such, and have snow falling as purely a visual effect?

Yes when the lua-sided particles are merged to minetest I will do that.
4aiman wrote:Want to see different levels of snow also. Say, if there's 1/16 of a snow, then, if snowfall, make it 2/16.
If there 15/16 then make it whole block and prepare to add 1/16 on top of that :)
I have tried this once and it didn't work out very well... I might give it another go though.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Splizard wrote:I have tried this once and it didn't work out very well...
What wasn't quite well? Performance?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I can adapt moretrees to also spawn on snow pretty easily, though for aesthetic reasons I guess I should limit that to just the various conifers. At which point I guess you could remove trees from your mod since mine will be faster. ;-)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I was thinking that the small pine trees of the snow mod could replace all of the default trees wherever snow biomes spawn.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Splizard wrote: It does not seem too, since moretrees spawn on grass and there is generally not a lot of grass in snow biomes
...which makes both mods work well alongside each other. Moretree-trees spawn outside snow biomes, and the snow world has its own trees. I was just asking to make the wood (optionally - if moretrees is installed) conforming to the type of wood moretrees uses. Everything else is fine - the snow biome has small trees, its own saplings...but it ought to have its own wooden trunk. Maybe conifer trunks would fit?

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The various conifers and pine trees of the moretrees mod could spawn in the snow biomes.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

In a smaller way perhaps. The moretree-trees are huge :-) And the snow does not pile up under trees. Some smaller moretree-trees would be great for that biome as well. I'd be glad if the trunk could be replaced.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Sokomine wrote:In a smaller way perhaps. The moretree-trees are huge :-) And the snow does not pile up under trees. Some smaller moretree-trees would be great for that biome as well. I'd be glad if the trunk could be replaced.
I was thinking that the fir and spruce trees can appear in some of the more forested snow biomes. I am confident that Splizard can find a way to get snow to appear under them. Perhaps snow can be made to spread out? Moretrees is a very nice mod and I would like to see it put to good use. I don't wish to see its potential wasted.

The trunk nodes of the spruce trees would be perfect for the small trees that come with the snow mod.
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Feb 12, 2013 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

4aiman wrote:What wasn't quite well? Performance?
No just some obscure bug I can't quite remember what it was -.-

@Incudom and Sokomine
When a moretrees tree grows there will still be snow underneath, IMO having default trunks for pine trees gives a more "default" feel to snow mod. People can always get a mod such as moretrees which then could be compatible with snow mod *Pokes VanessaE* :)
VanessaE wrote:At which point I guess you could remove trees from your mod since mine will be faster. ;-)
Could the pine trees from snow mod be made with L-systems? I have had a quick look at the concept but didn't quite understand it.
If so I would like to keep them in snow mod (see above)

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Post

Hey, i did a little write-up on l-systems after i saw your post. its here http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=69941

hope this helps

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Splizard: very easily. And for trees the size of those, the L-Systems rules should be fairly simple to write.

Jin_xi's thread is a good place to start to understand how they work.

In the meantime, from a quick browse of your code (which I have not yet tried out), I guess all I'd to do is make a tree spawn on snow:dirt_with_snow with air directly above it? Seems like a small size of More Trees' Douglas fir would be about right.

Is there anything else one needs to check for?

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

jin_xi wrote:Hey, i did a little write-up on l-systems after i saw your post. its here http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=69941

hope this helps
Thanks
VanessaE wrote:In the meantime, from a quick browse of your code (which I have not yet tried out), I guess all I'd to do is make a tree spawn on snow:dirt_with_snow with air directly above it? Seems like a small size of More Trees' Douglas fir would be about right.

Is there anything else one needs to check for?
Yes you need to check for snow:snow instead as that is always above snow:dirt_with_snow.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Moretrees has been updated to be more or less compatible with snow biomes - at least, small firs will now spawn in snow as long as it's on dirt or grass or grass with snow, though they spawn without snow on top of them. I guess falling snow will eventually take care of that last part though.

The two mods add enough load to the map generator that there are lots of cut-offs at mapblock edges now, though. I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the engine, not in your code or mine.

You'll need today's update of plants_lib to make it work properly (or as properly as the engine will allow).

As an aside, is there any way at all to tell the engine to always run your code first?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Great! Thanks for all the work. Snow mod and moretrees look nice next to each other.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Despite the load it would add, I'm considering adding the snow mod to my server. Any opinions on that?

dsalt

by dsalt » Post

I can trigger

FIXME: Meshbuffer ran out of indices
Too many vertices for 16bit index type, render artifacts may occur.
without adding snow…