[MOD]Native American Village [OBJECTS & ITEMS]

Steamed_Punk
GitHub: steamed-punk

[MOD]Native American Village [OBJECTS & ITEMS]

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Native American Village

==========================================================================

TO HAVE SLEEPABLE TEPEE'S YOU MUST INSTALL 'Mesh_Beds'.

Copyright (C) JP
Forum Topic:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11817&hilit=bed+mesh

What is there
The buffalo mob to hunt for resources,
The tepee's which can be used to sleep at night,
The log campfire for cooking buffalo meat,
An aspen/Birch Bark canoe,
A totem pole
A tomahawk you can throw,
Turquoise ore, block and lump,
Buffalo skull
Image Glass Corn
Tanning Rack
Stone Knife
hide scraper

Getting started

Before you can build a village and campfire you will need to hunt, buffalo can be found in small herds. Don't get close there is a chance they will attack! They are fast, heavy and brutal, keep your distance and be sure to have your trusty bow over your shoulder. Warning they will charge if you try to kill them and they may charge as a group.

Resources

If your hunting trip is successful then you will be rewarded with meat that can be cooked into mouth watering ribs. But to cook them you will need to build the campfire and for this you have to hope your hunting trip produces both buffalo fat as a fire starter and hide to build a village, who knows what the horns could be used for ! ?

It may be that you can't see any buffalo, perhaps a canoe will help you travel further and look for grasslands.

BTW, if you place a torch on the ground and a tepee next to it, it will light up the tepee from the inside. you will see it when you lay inside to sleep.

N.A.V Wiki
GitWiki https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... llage/wiki

CRAFTING GUIDE
GitWiki https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... ting-Guide

USING OBJECTS
GitWiki https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... ng-Objects

SPECIAL THANKS

TenPlus1 thank you for the api's you have put up, i have learnt so much in a month from those and your code, and thank you for your intervention behind the scenes.

Natahn.S thank you for animating the Buffalo, my modelling skill's are reasonable but animating is completely alien. I would have spent another month learning before releasing this. Now i can take a closer look.

Googol thank you your 'New Campfire 0.3.0' has made my campfire a lot easier for me to build, it is self contained within my mod so as not replace yours.

Eurythmia team The throwing mod API allowed for a throwing tomahawk.

=====================================================================================
FULL CREDITS ARE GIVEN AT GITHUB, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MISSED YOU OR SOMETHING ELSE.
=====================================================================================

LICENSE - MODELS and TEXTURES:

The models and textures for this Minetest mod are
Attribution-Share-alike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) - Copyright (C) 2019 Steamed_Punk

DOWNLOADS:
Take a look around and all downloads https://steamed-punk.github.io/
DIRECT
Native American Village https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... master.zip
Last edited by Steamed_Punk on Sun Sep 20, 2020 14:48, edited 11 times in total.
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [WIP]Indian Village and Buffalo[WIP] github

by Chem871 » Post

Nice idea, but they're aren't 'Indian', they are 'Native American'. The people who went searching for India didn't know there was an entire continent in the way :P
What is SCP-055?

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

LOL, i was waiting on something like this, but thought that the spelling for Tipi/tepee/teepee would be the first :D

The opening lines from the readme.md.....

Indian Village Mod for Minetest!

!!! This is not supposed to be historically correct or target any Nation or tribe, it is definitely not intended to be detrimental in any way shape or form. If anything this is for fun and a cross bred love based on an over mediatized and glorified hollywood image and growing up in a family that participated in large charity organized re-enactements, yes i got dressed up and shot a lot as a kid. On the other hand, i have no objections to advice to make this as authentic as possible, !!!

!!! WORK IN PROGRESS !!!

:p

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

So I just had a chance to look at the mods, and here are a few things I noticed.
1. Having the buffalo and village stuff both different mods confused me, as there is only one forum topic. Once I realized that I needed to download two mods that wasn't an issue, but maybe you should combine them, or make two topics.
2. I noticed in both mods that you have a depends.txt file and a mod.conf file. You can eliminate the depends.txt file and put that information in the mod.conf file.
3. On the subject of dependencies the village mod needs fire:flint_and_steel, but doesn't have fire listed as a dependency.
4. I know you're already working on this one, but you can't kill the buffalo with the bow and arrow, or anything else.
5. The Teepee wield model is a bit on the large size, you should be able to make it smaller with wield_scale, unless that doesn't work on mesh objects.
6. When the campfire is dug you get unknown items. Groups aren't things you can give, you need to explicitly list the specific node(s) you want to drop.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Nathan.S wrote:So I just had a chance to look at the mods, and here are a few things I noticed.
1. Having the buffalo and village stuff both different mods confused me, as there is only one forum topic. Once I realized that I needed to download two mods that wasn't an issue, but maybe you should combine them, or make two topics.
2. I noticed in both mods that you have a depends.txt file and a mod.conf file. You can eliminate the depends.txt file and put that information in the mod.conf file.
3. On the subject of dependencies the village mod needs fire:flint_and_steel, but doesn't have fire listed as a dependency.
4. I know you're already working on this one, but you can't kill the buffalo with the bow and arrow, or anything else.
5. The Teepee wield model is a bit on the large size, you should be able to make it smaller with wield_scale, unless that doesn't work on mesh objects.
6. When the campfire is dug you get unknown items. Groups aren't things you can give, you need to explicitly list the specific node(s) you want to drop.
Hi Nathan and thanks for the feedback.

1. I can understand the confusion. At first i wasn't sure how to put files together and at the same time i wanted to create mobs thinking best to keep them seperate from the village mod. I have just got my head round the: dofile(path .. "/decor.lua") -- Steamed_Punk
Which has allowed me to now include a totem pole and a buffalo skull. I will do the same for the mob.
2. Yes, going over the different tutorials and forum posts, and looking at different peoples code, probably older mods, i got a little confused about the depends and mod.config file. I will go over this shortly.
3. Thanks, i didn't notice because it seemed to just work.
4. This is an issue i came across and have been discussing this behind the scenes with tenPlus1, i thought it was working. I have been updating files these last couple of days but haven't mentioned it yet.
5. This has been addressed and a separate wield image has been added.
6. I'm not sure i follow. It drops ash as with the original campfire and a bone that i added. Once again it worked here.

thanks again i will go over those issues.
regards

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I'm sorry, I must have had some old code, the Teepee and campfire both work just fine after updating. :)

The buffalo skull does seem to have a wee problem, it says it's a Totem, and it doesn't have an inventory image. It also shares the same recipe as the actual Totem pole.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

That's strange, in my game i have the totem in hand (shot below) and in the inventory, same as the skull. But yes you are right for the name. It is a copy of the teepee code, i just changed the names and forgot the description. I'll go deal with that now., well spotted.

Done!

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Deer would be a nice addition, as would corn.
What is SCP-055?

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Chem871 wrote:Deer would be a nice addition, as would corn.
great idea, it would have to be the rainbow coloured corn. I will look into how to make plants grow in stages and be ready to harvest. I will also have to see how to make them sway like leaves and grass etc.

I like the idea of deer, but i think someone has already done this. Needs confirming, i don't want to tread on toes.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

What about wearable clothes and necklaces, bracelets, etc.?
What is SCP-055?

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Chem871 wrote:What about wearable clothes and necklaces, bracelets, etc.?
Hi Chem871 Did you see the "What's the Plan" section in the initial post? I noted a few ideas. I have already added the totem pole and skull (i want that to be a rare find, looking into it), the next build is the skinning and tanning rack for hide. Maybe clothes from there.....One step at a time ;-)

Although not mentioned above, i still haven't a use for the horns, maybe them and other shells for jewellery. I had thought of glass beads, but the problem there is that Native Americans traded for them and i haven't got villagers for that sort of set up yet. Also coloured glass beads as a trade item!?
If someone can and wants to create a coloured glass beads mod and a way of using them as a trade item (just thoughts).
Is it even possible to attach things in different places on the player? If so then why not a headdress?

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Now it eats

I just realized that the Buffalo wasn't self feeding, i made the changements and uploaded the buffalo.lua https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Indian- ... uffalo.lua

Steamed_Punk

Re: [WIP OVERHAUL license name]Native American Village

by Steamed_Punk » Post

There has been a major overhaul, the name, the license, mod and mob integrated into one mod.
Added new objects and images for farming Glass Corn and even a canoe.

Please read the initial post for full info and new links. Downloads and Crafting guides.

Please enjoy and take advantage of the new license.

Steamed_Punk

Re: [WIP OVERHAUL license name]Native American Village

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Another quick update:

You can now use the tepee's at night to sleep.
There is a tomahawk that you can throw and collect if you miss.
Added turquoise ore, block and lump (uses in the pipeline).

There is now a basic crafting guide here:
https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... ting-Guide

If you try and find issues please let me know

Steamed_Punk

Re: [WIP]Native American Village [NEW OBJECTS & ITEMS]

by Steamed_Punk » Post

TANNING RACK & KNIFE

Once you have hunted buffalo you can tan the rawhide using the tanning rack.

A tanning rack can be loaded with a rawhide (hair and flesh) and a half tanned hide (hair and tanned). tanning a rawhide will give you a half tanned hide (hair and tanned). tanning a half tanned hide (hair and tanned) will give you a fully tanned skin (both sides).

Right clicking either hide with a scraper will do the tanning, right clicking either hide with a stone knife will cut it down from the tanning rack leaving you with an empty space to add a new hide to tan.

I suggest you only punch an empty rack (for the moment) to recover it for use elsewhere.
Only one right click for each tanning step.

You can learn more about crafting and using at the N.A.V wiki guides at github.

N.A.V Wiki
GitWiki https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... llage/wiki

CRAFTING GUIDE
GitWiki https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... ting-Guide

USING OBJECTS
GitWiki https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Native- ... ng-Objects

Bag0Cheese
In-game: BagoCheese

Re: [MOD]Native American Village [OBJECTS & ITEMS]

by Bag0Cheese » Post

personal opinion too many polygon for something like minetest
You know the rules and so do I, SAY GOODBYE

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

it looks OK with the texture being used, though

native americans are and always were a welcome edition to any educational platform, and i am looking forward to more magical entries

Yona

by Yona » Post

Hi,

Awesome Mod Thank You!

Had errors in buffalo.lua file but fixed and forked.

# intllib is DEPRECATED
# Minetest 5.0 has builtin support for client-side translation, accessed by minetest.get_translator()
# local S = mobs.intllib

local S = minetest.get_translator("mobs")

Yona

by Yona » Post

Got around to adding some content not much just extended the canoe and made a long canoe.

Screenshot from 2023-10-19 22-50-30.png
Screenshot from 2023-10-19 22-50-30.png (600.1 KiB) Viewed 2590 times

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The canoe looks very nice! It's jsut a bit long. I wonder if it works on MT's ousually not very large lakes and oceans.
A list of my mods can be found here.