[Mod] Colored Woods [20140617] [coloredwood]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

[Mod] Colored Woods [20140617] [coloredwood]

by VanessaE » Post

Vanessa's Colored Woods mod

This mod provides a multitude of colors of wood, sticks, and fences to Minetest, as per the palette outlined by my Unified Dyes mod. By itself, it defines just two nodes (colorized wood block and fence), to which the Unified Dyes 256-color palette is applied.

If you have Moreblocks/Stairsplus installed, this mod will automatically add itself to the circular saw, using the 89-color "split" palette, and bringing its defined nodes count to 626 (12 hues + 1 greyscale, times 48 shapes, plus the above wood and fence nodes), but in so doing, it makes over 55'000 color-shape combinations available! If you feel the need to disable that feature, add coloredwood_enable_stairsplus = false to your minetest.conf.

To colorize wood or fences, simply place a standard block of wood or a standard wooden fence on the ground as usual, then use the airbrush on it, or craft wood or fence + dye and place the result. The same is true for the shapes you get from cutting default:wood with Moreblocks' circular saw.

Note that this mod only uses default:wood and default:fence_wood. It does not use the other types of wood in minetest_game, and does not yet support default wooden stairs and slabs.

Colorized wooden blocks and stairsplus objects are named for their base hue. All objects should be flammable and usable as fuel unless I missed something.

Dependencies: default, unifieddyes commit ad123874 (tag 2018-09-08-1) or later, and Minetest 0.4.17.1 plus a corresponding minetest_game. If you have signs_lib installed, it must be commit 4ff54c9a or later.

Recommends: moreblocks

Download: https://github.com/mt-mods/coloredwood/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
...or browse the code: https://github.com/mt-mods/coloredwood

Install: Download and extract the above ZIP file. Rename the resultant VanessaE-coloredwood-blahblah folder to just "coloredwood", and move it into your Minetest mods folder.

License: LGPL 3.0 for code, CC-by-SA 4.0 for media and everything else.

Screenshot:
The full palette of woods.
The corresponding fences.
Attachments
colored-woods-fences.png
colored-woods-fences.png (243.45 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
colored-wood.png
colored-wood.png (75.49 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Last edited by VanessaE on Thu Apr 25, 2013 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2012-07-24: Tweaked all recipes so that those that involve adding a dye give back an empty bottle along with the craft result.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

wow...just, wow...
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Miner99

by Miner99 » Post

Can you make coloured tools?
I was in the Nether...
and came back.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

A mod would need to be created to that end, though I don't see much purpose in that myself.

thetinydon

by thetinydon » Post

I tried installing the colored woods mod, but when I try running the game I get an error message:

"A serialization error occurred:
deSerializeString: size not read

The server is probably running a different version of Minetest."

Could you please help me? I have minetest 0.4.1

I also have the unifieddyes mod, vessels, junglegrass, nature pack controlled.
Last edited by thetinydon on Sat Aug 04, 2012 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS SPARTA!!!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The problem is in Minetest itself - you've hit a bug in the game which limits the number of defined nodes/items to less than what the game is supposed to support. This bug, as well as the actual limit on the number of nodes/items, have both been fixed in 0.4.2-rc1.

thetinydon

by thetinydon » Post

Got it to work by installing new version. Thanks Vanessa! =]
THIS IS SPARTA!!!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Glad to help :-)

Cooper

by Cooper » Post

I like the blending of the colors but this seems like overkill of the dies mod
TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I'm known for going for overkill. That way no one can complain that I left anything out! :-)

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

VanessaE wrote:2012-07-24: Tweaked all recipes so that those that involve adding a dye give back an empty bottle along with the craft result.
Works well... except for the fact it returns a glass flask for a white BUCKET of paint. Ouch.

One question if stairsPlus mod can work with this? Be neat to make sculptures and signage with color overlays.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That's an old bug I forgot to fix actually. As for stairsplus, sure it could theoretically work if you don't mind adding about 2200 new nodes to your game. :-)

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

How about just having white and shades of grey being flask recipes as oppose to being paint? iron is expensive.

Also when doing multiple batches of black, you lose flasks until you're left with only one.

Also how does painted wood fences work under Xfences?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I won't be changing how greys/black/white work. However, I will eventually fix that bug. :-)

Unless I'm mistaken, the loss of flasks happens with all colors due to a deficiency in the replacements option in the game.

Colored fences probably will not work one way or the other with xfences. They won't conflict, as far as I know, but xfences doesn't know of the existence of colored woods.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-03-20: Removed all items from the creative inventory. In practice, there are simply too damn many nodes to list them all, so you'll need to rely on crafting them from sticks/wood + dyes.

shaneroach

by shaneroach » Post

For wood, I'd almost prefer an overkill of the various colors of brown, which are under-represented even in this rather amazing setup. I like all your mods. You work on the kind of things that intrigue me about this sort of game in general - the crafting.
In order to change yourself, you must believe the change is possible and that there are rewards for making the change.
- Inspired by Hebrews 11:6

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

shaneroach wrote: For wood, I'd almost prefer an overkill of the various colors of brown, which are under-represented even in this rather amazing setup.
Try Vanessas moretrees mod. That comes with several diffrent tree types and adds wooden planks of different colors.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

You could make a machine of sorts that paints compatible nodes depending on what dyes are in it. The device could also mix dyes.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Sounds like a good idea. The machine might even offer buttons for the selection of different colors and request the necessary indigrents if not in creative mode.
A list of my mods can be found here.

shaneroach

by shaneroach » Post

Sokomine wrote:
shaneroach wrote: For wood, I'd almost prefer an overkill of the various colors of brown, which are under-represented even in this rather amazing setup.
Try Vanessas moretrees mod. That comes with several diffrent tree types and adds wooden planks of different colors.

Ideal, just what I was thinking about.

Thanks.

Anyone happen to know if it has been subsumed into "Plantlife"? I don't see moretrees in her listed link on her profile.
Last edited by shaneroach on Mon May 20, 2013 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
In order to change yourself, you must believe the change is possible and that there are rewards for making the change.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's in my signature now :-) and no, it has not been merged with plantlife (and won't be).

shaneroach

by shaneroach » Post

VanessaE wrote:It's in my signature now :-) and no, it has not been merged with plantlife (and won't be).
Haha! Thanks.

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Colored Woods [20140617] [coloredwood]

by VanessaE » Post

Update - this mod is NOT dead!

Added optional Moreblocks/Stairsplus support. Because of the number of colors and shapes supported by this mod and by Stairsplus, respectively, this change adds a whopping 2581 nodes, but no new textures etc, so it should only result in a slightly longer startup time. Defaults to enabled if Moreblocks is installed; to disable this feature, add coloredwood_enable_stairsplus = false to minetest.conf.

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Colored Woods [20140617] [coloredwood]

by VanessaE » Post

Another update: new textures using the "4-tile" style of current minetest_game. A bit less dramatic on the "light" series, and also I fixed the overly-dark black fence inventory texture. The grey/black/white wood textures were hand-tweaked to give a better set of shades than what came out of the colorizer script.