Yikes! I still don't know my right from left! Lol
Thanks TenPlus1

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Carts [carts]

by Don » Post

The left and the right are always fighting. You 2 should be politicians.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

lol

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

touché :P

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Could you detect if the cart runs into a cactus (or other damaging type node) and then do minetest.drop_item(cart, ....) ?

That would allow anyone to build tracks that automatically remove carts from rails, build conveyor belts that reuse carts (e.g. vacuuming them up and then putting them back in a dispenser).

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Maybe the node breaker should pick up the cart (even though it's not a node). Having to crash carts into cactus to collect them (into an item transport system) seems so primitive and... minecrafty.

lag01
GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Post

Maybe modify cart mod to sometimes check if there is rail under cart and drop cart if there is no rail.
Then you can use pistons to move rail under cart away.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

lag01 wrote:Maybe modify cart mod to sometimes check if there is rail under cart and drop cart if there is no rail.
Yeah, that should be good. Though it would be easier to make the rail just end (so the cart falls off) than use pistons.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

lag01 wrote:Maybe modify cart mod to sometimes check if there is rail under cart and drop cart if there is no rail.
I really don't like the piston trickery needed, since it forces you to put a piston, a vacuum tube etc. all close together which is hard to do. At least a cactus is a non-moving block.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

sofar wrote:
I really don't like the piston trickery needed, since it forces you to put a piston, a vacuum tube etc. all close together which is hard to do. At least a cactus is a non-moving block.
just make the cart fall off the end of the rails.

Just think about it. How would a minecart break from hitting a cactus??

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

12Me21 wrote:
sofar wrote:

Actually, I don't like the fact that the carts stop dead at the end of a rail, and I would indeed like to see them shoot off.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

sofar wrote:
12Me21 wrote:
sofar wrote: I really don't like the piston trickery needed, since it forces you to put a piston, a vacuum tube etc. all close together which is hard to do. At least a cactus is a non-moving block.

Actually, I don't like the fact that the carts stop dead at the end of a rail, and I would indeed like to see them shoot off.
Yeah, that would be good. However, wouldn't it be easier to make another rail to return the minecart to the start?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

12Me21 wrote: Yeah, that would be good. However, wouldn't it be easier to make another rail to return the minecart to the start?
that would mean rails have to always be circular tracks. In the real world, rails stop, and quite often too.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

sofar wrote:
12Me21 wrote: Yeah, that would be good. However, wouldn't it be easier to make another rail to return the minecart to the start?
that would mean rails have to always be circular tracks. In the real world, rails stop, and quite often too.
What if you made an end rail that does what you want it to do. It could make it drop so the vaccuum tube can suck it up.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Don wrote:What if you made an end rail that does what you want it to do. It could make it drop so the vaccuum tube can suck it up.
A stair block at the end of rails already accomplishes just that...

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

sofar wrote:
Don wrote:What if you made an end rail that does what you want it to do. It could make it drop so the vaccuum tube can suck it up.
A stair block at the end of rails already accomplishes just that...
hmm... the problem with that, is it's kind of a bug, so it might be fixed, which would break any rail system that uses it.

poet.nohit
GitHub: poet-nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

Or make it so that a piston can push the cart off the track. Something to think about.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Why not just make it so the cart will fall off the end of a rail if there isn't anything in the way?
that would be the simplest and easiest to use solution.

but still, I think it would be better to make a system that doesn't require having the cart drop as an item. just have some kind of loop, so the cart can go back to the beginning, or something.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Hey man, nice mod, totally adds some missing stuff to the game. But before I campaign for Celeron to put this in Minetest, I'd suggest a few features :)

-Collision detection: Collision detection is simply MINEsential for this mod, especially as the Minecraft one HAS that. And, in my opinion, it would add some more life to the carts that's currently desperately missing. At the moment, the carts are good but pretty lifeless. Oh and don't forget your monorails mod has CD also! So why not this, considering this is several times more popular?

-Sitting in the cart: I'm not a fan of having to dig 3 tall tunnel to take in cart-riders without being blindfolded all the way. And anyway, the MC one has this no? And MT is meant to be a substitute for MC no? So plz do this simple thing.

-Cargo carts: This is something that your excellent monorails mod has. And it's gonna look cool also. And (here it comes!!!) MC has this.

-A way to control which way to turn at switches: It's not nice having to either have no switches or a quasi-switch with brake rails and a sign saying "mine ur cat her n plac it wher u wont"(sigh guess I just gave you that idea :D) And also MC DOES NOT HAVE THIS :D

-Y-Switches: Krock's fork of your mod (boost_cart) demonstrates this in texture form. However, with said switching controlling, you can actually make practical use of this. Goto the last sentence of the previous feature request

-A way to "push" the cart when you're on it: Many a minecart I've lost to not being able to get in in time. So I ask, please, please, PLEASE implement this as this is VERY frustrating. You could, you know, like have the player on board face the direction he/she wants to go and point at the cart inside and punch..

-Diagonal rails: Making continuous corners for a diagonal section of rail looks unsightly and also Minecraft Classic (more well known as Manic Digger) has them. Although I know Celeron should have done this, he probably didn't because of the absence of carts. Now, with carts, you can add the appeal of this mod compared to MC's default cart implementation and thus help increase the number of ppl coming to MT with this :D

PLZ respond and add these features Please :)
And sorry if my post is rather confusing or unstructured :) or even offensive :O AND PLEASE CORRECT ANY MISTAKE!!!!

EDIT: Krock's fork's switching one is a WORKING IMPLEMENTATION!!!! EVERYBODY FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!!
Last edited by ABJ on Thu Apr 02, 2015 17:26, edited 2 times in total.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:AbJ: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10172
OMG THAAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and by the way that was just a few seconds? minutes? apart from my post :D
You other people also better check this boost_cart out;It's SUPER cool!

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Yeah but it does not contian the following points: (2nd point exists in Jordach's BFD carts version)
ABJ wrote:-Collision detection: <snip>

-Sitting in the cart: <snip>

-Diagonal rails: <snip>
It's quite hard to make diagonal rails and the current directions are already enough for the most uses.
ABJ wrote:You other people also better check this boost_cart out;It's SUPER cool!
Thanks for your interest.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Krock wrote:
Yeah but it does not contian the following points: (2nd point exists in Jordach's BFD carts version)
ABJ wrote:-Collision detection: <snip>

-Sitting in the cart: <snip>

-Diagonal rails: <snip>
It's quite hard to make diagonal rails and the current directions are already enough for the most uses.
ABJ wrote:You other people also better check this boost_cart out;It's SUPER cool!
Thanks for your interest.
That diagonal rails thing I didn't mean THAT seriously........It was more of a thing that might make railways look better. But of course you wouldn't guess it :)

But I'm DESPERATE about that sitting in cart thingy, and although I might look up that BFD cart thing, not everybody would. In fact, most people probably wouldn't bother looking at forks. I was more of talking in my more or less former and most peoples current sense :)

Welcome Krock.