[Mod] Carts [carts]

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

yohoho wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
yohoho wrote:but it has a few issues.
Are you kidding? This is the most buggy mod I can imagine!
I've seen worse lol

PilzAdam wrote:
yohoho wrote:Another issue is I have mesecons installed and it seems the built in mesecons features of cart mod just don't work.
As I said above the mesecon API changed a bit and I have to update it. Dunno when I will do that.
The carts mod code makes the depressive because its so bad :-(
Maybe someone (or multiple people) on the forums with some knowledge and skill can band together with you to re-write this mod to make it the best it can be? Seems "carts" is something almost everyone wants. I wish I could be of service but all I can do is offer some testing.
This is a mod you will need help fixing and completing, PilzAdam. Sometimes, you must seek the aid and knowledge of others. There is no shame in asking for help when you need it. I recommend that you ask for assistance with your simple mobs mod as well, for that one too needs some fixing. With the aid of others, I am certain that the two mods can finally reach their full potential. Never give up hope.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

yohoho wrote:The cart will continue down the slope a way but almost always stop somewhere midway with no apparent rhyme or reason. The tunnel is a simple stair basically (before stairs were added to minetest).
I have issues with the stairs also. It seems to help if you make the slope less steap. Instead of:

(side view of stair step down)

#
##
###
####

do

#
###
#####
#######

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I have mesecons working with the rails and switches.

Replace your carts/mesecons.lua with this one:

http://ubuntuone.com/66jJaOqsloRvL3EATTzIO8

and add mesecons to your carts/depends.txt file

All I had to do was remove the old add_receptor_node functions and register the nodes with register_effector, I also added, mesecon=2 to the rail group so the mesecons will attach to the rails.

The original effect on the switch may be changed also, power on == right, power off == left
Last edited by BrandonReese on Tue Dec 04, 2012 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

BrandonReese wrote:I have mesecons working with the rails and switches.

Replace your carts/mesecons.lua with this one:

[link]http://ubuntuone.com/66jJaOqsloRvL3EATTzIO8[/link]

and add mesecons to your carts/depends.txt file

All I had to do was remove the old add_receptor_node functions and register the nodes with register_effector, I also added, mesecon=2 to the rail group so the mesecons will attach to the rails.

The original effect on the switch may be changed also, power on == right, power off == left
Problem with this is it will mean anyone who wants to use this mod will also have to install mesecons which for me is not a problem but some people might not want to, maybe it would be better to add the extra functionality and just have a simple bool in the code that will check if mesecon_support is enabled and if so use the extra features.

Obviously the user would also need to then add mesecons to the depends file maybe this can be told to them above the mesecon_support bool?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

dannydark wrote: Problem with this is it will mean anyone who wants to use this mod will also have to install mesecons which for me is not a problem but some people might not want to, maybe it would be better to add the extra functionality and just have a simple bool in the code that will check if mesecon_support is enabled and if so use the extra features.

Obviously the user would also need to then add mesecons to the depends file maybe this can be told to them above the mesecon_support bool?
The first line of the mesecons.lua file is

Code: Select all

if minetest.get_modpath("mesecons") ~= nil then
So it should skip all of the mesecons functionality if mesecons is not installed.

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

mesecons are a must-have for some uses
this is one of them

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

In the last few days many people complained that I should make the carts mod better.
So I started to rewrite the mod completly from scratch. Here is the result:
https://github.com/PilzAdam/carts/tree/carts_2.0
The features:
  • The carts is not moving on its own, you have to push it
  • Driving on hills is now working; the cart gets accelerated when driving down a hill and decelerated when driving uphill
  • The code is much more lightweight and billions of times faster and cleaner than the old one
  • It transports the player correctly (no lag or something)
  • There are currently no switches or chests or any of the features of the old mod (like mesecon support); Im working on this
It requires at least current 0.4.4-dev version of Minetest.

EDIT: Oh, and its more stable than the old one.
EDIT2: You have to use any tool (like pickaxe) to remove the cart while punhing with hand or nodes pushes the cart.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue Dec 04, 2012 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

PilzAdam wrote:In the last few days many people complained that I should make the carts mod better.
The features:
  • Driving on hills is now working; the cart gets accelerated when driving down a hill and decelerated when driving uphill
  • The code is much more lightweight and billions of times faster and cleaner than the old one
  • There are currently no switches or chests or any of the features of the old mod (like mesecon support); Im working on this

EDIT2: You have to use any tool (like pickaxe) to remove the cart while punhing with hand or nodes pushes the cart.
Sweet! I will surely test this when mesecons support is available. :D
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

PilzAdam wrote:In the last few days many people complained that I should make the carts mod better.
The features:

Awesome. I tested it; hills are much smoother and more stable. I got it to derail a few times on a really complicated track with lots of hills and turns, but that was really rare.
A bug I could confirm: it gains more momentum than it loses. Make a big 15-20 block high V-shaped track and make a cart run back and forth from a height of about 3; the cart will go higher each time and eventually reach the top.
Last edited by Menche on Wed Dec 05, 2012 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Menche wrote:A bug I could confirm: it gains more momentum than it loses. Make a big 15-20 block high V-shaped track and make a cart run back and forth from a height of about 3; the cart will go higher each time and eventually reach the top.
This is not a bug. Its a gameplay decision I made to allow people moving on long tracks.

Josh

by Josh » Post

PilzAdam, i downloaded the carts 2.0 that you made. However the crafting recipe will not work, i even tried the giveme
command and the last thing i used was creative mode to get the cart, but still no luck.
I am using the minetest-0.4.4 build with 3d players (that i have compiled on github) I also use linux. Any help?
Last edited by Josh on Thu Dec 06, 2012 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Josh wrote:PilzAdam, i downloaded the carts 2.0 that you made. However the crafting recipe will not work, i even tried the giveme
command and the last thing i used was creative mode to get the cart, but still no luck.
I am using the minetest-0.4.4 build with 3d players (that i have compiled on github) I also use linux. Any help?
Are you sure you installed it correctly?

Josh

by Josh » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Josh wrote:PilzAdam, i downloaded the carts 2.0 that you made. However the crafting recipe will not work, i even tried the giveme
Are you sure you installed it correctly?
Yes, Ounce i downloaded the folder i extracted it, then named it to carts, then i moved it into mods/minetest

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Another major update to the carts 2.0 branch: https://github.com/PilzAdam/carts/commi ... 4509a4ab2a
It makes the code a lot more stable by recalculating the positions that are passed since the last server step. So it corrects the position if derailed.
It should run fine on servers now, but I havent tested it.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Another major update to the carts 2.0 branch: https://github.com/PilzAdam/carts/commi ... 4509a4ab2a
It makes the code a lot more stable by recalculating the positions that are passed since the last server step. So it corrects the position if derailed.
Just tested on VanessaE's server and confirmed that it works really good on servers now.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Another major update to the carts 2.0 branch: https://github.com/PilzAdam/carts/commi ... 4509a4ab2a
Did something make the carts go faster, or take corners faster maybe? My roller coaster feels like it's in fast-forward now.
EDIT: Also, at a point where the rails crossed, the carts always went straight, but now they turn a random number of times before going straight.
Last edited by Menche on Fri Dec 07, 2012 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Menche wrote:
Did something make the carts go faster, or take corners faster maybe? My roller coaster feels like it's in fast-forward now.
The maximum speed was increased.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

And mesecon support done for 2.0 branch.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Carts 2.0 added to first post.

qwrwed
In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Post

Can you make the cart have the same nodebox as the original version?

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

qwrwed wrote:Can you make the cart have the same nodebox as the original version?
No, because the attachment code of the 3D players is still buggy and the players get smaller if they are attached to an nodebox cart.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
qwrwed wrote:Can you make the cart have the same nodebox as the original version?
No, because the attachment code of the 3D players is still buggy and the players get smaller if they are attached to an nodebox cart.
I'm wondering, what about a model ? Would the players scale down too ?
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Zeg9 wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
I'm wondering, what about a model ? Would the players scale down too ?
Models would work. So if anyone would provide a model I will gladly add it.
Also 3 animation frames would be nice: One normal and 2 with pitch 45° and -45°.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

First post updated.
The carts 2.0 branch is now the default master branch. The old mod is now in the old branch.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Zeg9 made a model for the carts. You can test it in the model branch on GitHub.

@Zeg9
Can you turn the animation in the correct way and also add the third frame for the flipped pitch? It would be also nice if the cart would move a bit up in the pitch frames, so that you cant see the rails at the bottom of the cart.