[Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.11] [technic]

by VanessaE » Post

poet.nohit, on behalf of the team, thanks :-)

12Me21: What do you mean about lining the textures up at the edges? Do you mean e.g. the adjoining faces along that curved edge of the quarter-round corner ("two curved edge" as technic calls it) shown on the far right of the screenshot? Because generally, textures should already be as lined up as they can get from one neighboring node to another.

Meanwhile: I've added the requested spheres to the CNC machine. Note two things:

First, because of how the oblate spheroid object was originally named, any of those that were already in the world (or inventories) before this change will turn into spheres (though this is probably what the original model was meant to represent anyway). Newly-milled ones will behave normally, as well the new spheres.

Second, due to the way Minetest handles formspecs, you may need to dig the CNC machine and re-place it to get the new button to show up properly (and perhaps to show the right image on the old one, if it's wrong).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

VanessaE wrote:poet.nohit, on behalf of the team, thanks :-)

12Me21: What do you mean about lining the textures up at the edges? Do you mean e.g. the adjoining faces along that curved edge of the quarter-round corner ("two curved edge" as technic calls it) shown on the far right of the screenshot? Because generally, textures should already be as lined up as they can get from one neighboring node to another.
the adjoining faces on the edges (except the ones that are in the normal positions)

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

VanessaE wrote:poet.nohit, on behalf of the team, thanks :-)

the adjoining faces

edit: oops...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

A couple of the UV maps do need better-aligned (including the aforementioned quarter-round corner). I'll see if I can improve that soon.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

SpaghettiToastBook
In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Post

What exactly are lead and sulfur for?

mtmodder148
GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Lead can be made into blocks for decorative purposes. Sulfur on the other hand has no use, yet. I could always be wrong :-).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Eventually those materials will be used to make batteries, in lieu of the way they're made now.

poet.nohit
GitHub: poet-nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

What would be great for sulphur is if you needed it for gunpowder. Then we could have some serious explosives to work with.

SpaghettiToastBook

poet.nohit wrote:What would be great for sulphur is if you needed it for gunpowder. Then we could have some serious explosives to work with.
That'd be nice, though I'd probably only want to use it for explosives more powerful than TNT since sulfur is not very common.
Last edited by SpaghettiToastBook on Thu Mar 19, 2015 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

SpaghettiToastBook wrote:
poet.nohit wrote:What would be great for sulphur is if you needed it for gunpowder. Then we could have some serious explosives to work with.
That'd be nice, though I'd probably only want to use it for explosives more powerful than TNT since sulfur not very common.
Sulfur is used to make TNT, though there isn't any in the final product.

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

SpaghettiToastBook wrote:
That'd be nice, though I'd probably only want to use it for explosives more powerful than TNT since sulfur is not very common.
Sulfur is found near lava, where you can find it in large quantities, so you just need to find lava and it is actually quite common once you've found lava caves.

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

I have a subterrain-style nether mod I'm working on that generates huge lava lakes, and I wouldn't exactly call it "common" to find sulphur (though it is pretty plentiful, absolutely).

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

poet.nohit wrote:I have a subterrain-style nether mod I'm working on that generates huge lava lakes, and I wouldn't exactly call it "common" to find sulphur (though it is pretty plentiful, absolutely).
Well, once you've found a lake with sulfur nearby, you'll have plenty of it; however, I'm not sure that sulfur will generate next to lava added by another mod (because sulfur may be generated before that lava).

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

Yeah, I had to change technic_worldgen's depends in my game to make that work.

SpaghettiToastBook

Why is the windmill disabled by default?

ThatGraemeGuy
GitHub: thatgraemeguy
IRC: ThatGraemeGuy
In-game: thatgraemeguy

by ThatGraemeGuy » Post

SpaghettiToastBook wrote:Why is the windmill disabled by default?
My assumption has always been that its too cheap. It ought to have some form of wear, as it is now you build a wind generator which isn't all that expensive and it just keeps generating a very decent amount of power indefinitely.

There might be some better official explanation though.

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

Here's an idea I'd like to try out: how about a "Paired" mode for the Injector? That way, you could set up a centrifuge system in a much more efficient way than the standard "cascade" and keep things simple when you do that whole enrichment process.

Edit: https://github.com/poet-nohit/minetest- ... 7e65043a7d

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Why did you save the music player top file as a jpg?
So it's a bigger file (at least 100 Bytes bigger).

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

supercutsminetest

by supercutsminetest » Post

As of yet I haven't found any zinc, chromium, or uranium, but I've found coal, iron, copper, tin, silver, gold, mithril, mese, and diamond. Anyone know why this might be?

EDIT: Not sure how to make bronze now. Craft recipe says wrought iron and copper, which I tried in an alloy furnace and in inventory crafting. I'm going to try and use up all my bronze and see if that's it.

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

supercutsminetest wrote:As of yet I haven't found any zinc, chromium, or uranium [...]
These have restrictive heights limits, you won't find them outside these elevations:
  • Uranuim: -300 to -80.
  • Zinc: -32 to 2.
  • Chromium: -200 to -100

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

I've been playing around with doing blobs for ores and that really seems like the way to go, IMHO.

See https://github.com/poet-nohit/minetest- ... 50f995e305

supercutsminetest

ShadowNinja wrote:
supercutsminetest wrote:As of yet I haven't found any zinc, chromium, or uranium [...]
Minetest credits - Just noticed you are there ShadowNinja - I appreciate the work you put in this!

These have restrictive heights limits, you won't find them outside these elevations:
  • Uranuim: -300 to -80.
  • Zinc: -32 to 2.
  • Chromium: -200 to -100
Thanks - I thought I read somewhere earlier in the forum that zinc had no limits, but I checked the oregen.lua file in technic_worldgen and see what you mean. I'm going to search actively for the zinc then. I've been farming at -200 to -300 for quite a while and I haven't seen any chromium or uranuim, I'll update when I can. I appreciate the help guys.

Update * - Current mods are craft_guide, creatures, mesecons, moreblocks, moreores, pipeworks, and technic.

no zinc. - In the oregen.lua file, "oregen" , there is a second part defining zinc gen, and it says -32 to -31000. I have got lead from oregen, marble and granite. Not the others, zinc, chromium, uranium, and sulfur. I've only run into two lava pits though. I've been in the ~-250 range for a bit now, looking for new ores.

Made new worlds - I found zinc, rubber and regular trees. After some time playing, is zinc not common? After scouting and finding it with noclip/fly/fast, I played for a while and found none.

Creating bronze - I can make bronze - Looking in craft_guide - a recipe says wrought iron ingot + copper = bronze ingot (doesn't work) - another recipe says tin + 2 copper = 3 bronze ingot (works). Found it in the moreores init.lua.

I wonder if competing mods - how a recipe wins?

supercutsminetest

poet.nohit wrote:I've been playing around with doing blobs for ores and that really seems like the way to go, IMHO.

I didn't understand your post, I'm new to github and programming. Even lay programming. I'm going to copy yours and try it out. I'm still not sure what blob means, I'll do more digging. I want to lean towards something is happening with the spawn rate or something, I've been trying to compare the original oregen.lua language on lead vs. zinc because I have been finding lead no problem. I got around to looking at your link poet after I looked at some .lua files, I appreciate the work you put in it, I need to look at it more to understand it, but I think I'll also just try replacing the oregen.lua file with yours and see how it goes.

To sum it up - I am having a problem with Technics zinc generation.

Assumptions - Zinc can be found ymax 2 to ymin -31000. Zinc is more common than lead and silver. Lead/Marble/Granite are Technic nodes.

Facts - World 1 - 107 mese crystals mined before using noclip/fast/fly. 0 Zinc, 0 uranium, 0 chromium, 0 sulfur seen (also after using noclip/fast/fly). No sulfur found (searched 3 lava pits). Lots of lead, marble and granite found.

After world 1 - I enabled noclip/fast/fly for all worlds in beginning to see if I could find zinc.

World 2 - Found 1 zinc, no regular trees, but rubber trees were present (15 minutes in world.).

World 3 - Found 1 zinc, regular trees, and rubber trees in 10 minutes. Did not mine the zinc. Disabled fly/noclip/fast. Not sure how long I played, but stayed ymax 0 and ymin 32 for mining, yielded 20 lead no zinc. Turned noclip/fast/fly on, and flew around for 10 minutes until I found zinc, mined it. Disabled privs and continued mining, found 1 zinc more. Currently 44 copper, 34 tin, 26 lead, 5 silver, and 2 zinc.

Conclusion - If my assumptions are correct, I should be finding more zinc.

So far... Changed the oregen.lua for zinc parameters (clust_scarcity, clust_num_ores, clust_size) to match leads. Finding zinc now. May have to tweak for similar nodes I can't find, unless it is working as intended in world 3, and just world 1 had no zinc. I may tweak world 1 to see.

General questions - When are nodes generated? If I create a world, edit the oregen.lua after, will the new oregen.lua affect the world already created? Is there object/node permanence or does it get generated with each world load. For scarcity, num ores, size, does increasing the number increase or decrease the number of that node, it looks like the 5x5x5 yields more than 6x6x6 for example.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

supercutsminetest wrote:
poet.nohit wrote:I've been playing around with doing blobs for ores and that really seems like the way to go, IMHO.

I didn't understand your post, I'm new to github and programming. Even lay programming. I'm going to copy yours and try it out. I'm still not sure what blob means, I'll do more digging.
Blob is one way ore is placed in the map.
http://dev.minetest.net/minetest.register_ore
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

supercutsminetest

Don wrote:
supercutsminetest wrote:

I didn't understand your post, I'm new to github and programming. Even lay programming. I'm going to copy yours and try it out. I'm still not sure what blob means, I'll do more digging.
Blob is one way ore is placed in the map.
http://dev.minetest.net/minetest.register_ore
Thanks - that is a great link!

So with that wiki - I've been able to figure out what the language means. After decreasing the scarcity in oregen.lua I am only able to see changes in new worlds created after modifying the oregen.lua. Is there a way to respawn nodes in a world already created, or am I stuck?

Deleting minetest and mods and starting fresh - I think adding the mod after the world was created had something to do with it? I'm not sure...
Last edited by supercutsminetest on Thu Apr 16, 2015 22:26, edited 1 time in total.