[Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

CmdrDeliver

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

by CmdrDeliver » Post

Answering my own question:

I was using the minetest 0.4.16 Snap from the Ubuntu repositories. I removed that and followed the instructions for compiling 0.5.dev. So far no errors.

I used these instructions viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3837&start=125#p306449

Lokrates
GitHub: Lokrates

by Lokrates » Post

I have a few problems with some recipes
- The Bronzeblock is no longer splittable to bronze ingots.
- The Grinder-Recipes for the tree group are displayed in the unified inventory but they do not work.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Hätte ich doch nur Englisch gelernt.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Lokrates wrote:I have a few problems with some recipes

- The Grinder-Recipes for the tree group are displayed in the unified inventory but they do not work.
Does anyone else have this problem?
The only tree I have been able to grind is the Jungle Tree.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

First of all: this mod is awesome, thank you all for the work!

But i have some issues with the switching station abm causing lag, sometimes even for 20 seconds...
Is this an accepted issue (like: we know, its just the way it is) or is this a real issue?
I'm still investigation where the problematic networks are but the last profiling session was really shocking:

Code: Select all

instrumentation                                         |    min µs |    max µs |    avg µs | min % | max % | avg %
-------------------------------------------------------- | --------- | --------- | --------- | ----- | ----- | ------
 technic:                                                |         0 |  20925567 |       789 |   0.0 |  99.9 |   3.4
  - ABM 'Machines: run power monitor' .................  |         4 |       428 |        17 |   0.0 |   2.0 |   0.1
  - ABM 'Switching Station' ...........................  |        16 |  20924043 |     10771 |   0.0 |  99.9 |  42.6
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:First of all: this mod is awesome, thank you all for the work!

But i have some issues with the switching station abm causing lag, sometimes even for 20 seconds...
Is this an accepted issue (like: we know, its just the way it is) or is this a real issue?
I'm still investigation where the problematic networks are but the last profiling session was really shocking:

instrumentation                                         |    min µs |    max µs |    avg µs | min % | max % | avg %
-------------------------------------------------------- | --------- | --------- | --------- | ----- | ----- | ------
 technic:                                                |         0 |  20925567 |       789 |   0.0 |  99.9 |   3.4
  - ABM 'Machines: run power monitor' .................  |         4 |       428 |        17 |   0.0 |   2.0 |   0.1
  - ABM 'Switching Station' ...........................  |        16 |  20924043 |     10771 |   0.0 |  99.9 |  42.6
I guess this is the reason why I sometimes have a "No network" for quite a while after having the network configuration modified (that was on your server).
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

diabolusUmarov
In-game: diabolusUmarov

by diabolusUmarov » Post

I start a new server on linux with version 0.4.17-dev. But technic crash on start with this error.

2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/hirnfrei2/minetest-server/minetest/bin/../mods/technic/technic/init.lua:
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: No crafting specified for input
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'clear_craft'
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	.../technic/technic/machines/register/extractor_recipes.lua:39: in main chunk
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	...t/bin/../mods/technic/technic/machines/register/init.lua:20: in main chunk
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	...r/minetest/bin/../mods/technic/technic/machines/init.lua:3: in main chunk
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-server/minetest/bin/../mods/technic/technic/init.lua:42: in main chunk
Whats wrong with this?

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

>_<
diabolusUmarov wrote:I start a new server on linux with version 0.4.17-dev. But technic crash on start with this error.

2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/hirnfrei2/minetest-server/minetest/bin/../mods/technic/technic/init.lua:
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: No crafting specified for input
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'clear_craft'
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	.../technic/technic/machines/register/extractor_recipes.lua:39: in main chunk
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	...t/bin/../mods/technic/technic/machines/register/init.lua:20: in main chunk
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	...r/minetest/bin/../mods/technic/technic/machines/init.lua:3: in main chunk
2018-10-23 13:03:09: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-server/minetest/bin/../mods/technic/technic/init.lua:42: in main chunk
Whats wrong with this?
See https://github.com/minetest-mods/technic/issues/448.
Maybe try adding dye to dependencies https://github.com/minetest-mods/technic/pull/449.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

DuDraig
IRC: DuDraig
In-game: DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

Public server v5.0.0-81c06de (sfan), Client is the same. I've no idea how to find the technic version on a public server.

I have an LV fuel generator, switching station, and an LV grinder all connected underneath by LV cable. The generator has coal lumps and the grinder has gold lumps.
Both the generator and the grinder display that they have no network, the switching station says "Supply: 0 Demand: 0", and the grinder does not operate. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or if this should work and I need to tell the admin.
Attachments
technic1.png
technic1.png (310.28 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

The switching station needs to be between the generator and the appliance.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

Stix wrote:The switching station needs to be between the generator and the appliance.
Thanks for your reply; it did work. However, could you be more specific as that requirement is not documented in the mod manual. Since all three nodes are connected together underneath, the physical placement of each node should make no difference and makes no electrical sense. What if you have multiple generators and loads surrounding you with no clear spot physically "between" all the generators and loads? How do you figure where and how to place the switching station? What about batteries that are both loads and generators?

Stix

by Stix » Post

The switching stations works by taking in power and distributing power as needed to an appliance, so its the midpoint between power production and power use. If this explanation does't make sense to you i can quickly make a test technic setup and give you a screenshot.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

Stix wrote:The switching stations works by taking in power and distributing power as needed to an appliance, so its the midpoint between power production and power use. If this explanation does't make sense to you i can quickly make a test technic setup and give you a screenshot.
That's what doesn't make sense since all three nodes are connected together from underneath. Despite the presence of the switching station, the generator is still physically connected to the grinder. The switching station does not isolate the two from being connected.

As to multiple generators and loads: Say I have a central building that houses batteries (bolt and octogon), three sites around the building for three different generators (bolts), three sites around the building each with a set of load nodes (octogons), and all connected with the proper tier wire (black lines)..
Where, in this physical arrangement of generators, loads, and batteries, would I place the switching station so that everything works properly?
Attachments
technic layout 1.png
technic layout 1.png (16.87 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

It's possible that what you mean is that all the loads and all the generators must be placed in their own disjoint sub-nets that are joined by a single connection on which is located the switching station. Using the previous example:
The generators are all connected to the yellow sub-net. and the loads are all connected to the blue sub-net. There is a single connection between these two sub-nets (in black) on which is placed the switching station.

Is this correct? If so, then on which sub-net do you place the batteries since they act as both load and generator, or can they be on either or both?
Attachments
technic layout 2.png
technic layout 2.png (21.87 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

Stix wrote:The switching station needs to be between the generator and the appliance.
As far as I know this is not true.

Maybe the mod has evolved since I got knowlegde of it but, if I remember correctly, the physical placement has (almost*) no effect on machines. They only have to be connected to the same network (some of them connects only by downside, like switching stations).

*: As far as the mapblock is active. If you have very far switching station, your machines may not work.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Pyrollo wrote:
+

There's an issue about this bug, I think: #404
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Stix

by Stix » Post

Pyrollo wrote:

Maybe the mod has evolved since I got knowlegde of it but, if I remember correctly, the physical placement has (almost*) no effect on machines. They only have to be connected to the same network (some of them connects only by downside, like switching stations).

*: As far as the mapblock is active. If you have very far switching station, your machines may not work.
Within context, i had been referring to her setup. But generators are supposed to be connected on one "side" of the switching station and the appliances on the other.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

Thank you all for your comments. Since they were all opinions or unsubstantiated declarations, I went and browsed through the technic code.

It turns out that, by intended design, there is no restriction on where in a cable network you place the switching station. You do not need to place it between anything nor do you have to isolate generator and load sub-nets. The current version will accept a switching station anywhere on the cable network you want to put it but, if you place more than one on the same cable network, only one will ever be active.

The problem I ran into was with a past version of technic (I don't know which) that has cable network discovery, update, and caching bugs. Depending on the cable network architecture, some technic nodes will not be found or properly cached by the switching station ABM or when the network is changed. The current version seems to have quashed many of these bugs though some reports still remain.

So,, my actual answer seems to be to advise the server admin to update their technic mod to the current version and most of those problems will be resolved.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Lots of issues with OOM and finding rubber trees.
I have opened 2 issues in the repo detailing simple PRs that will fix these issues, i'm leaving these to others to do.
https://github.com/minetest-mods/technic/issues/463
https://github.com/minetest-mods/technic/issues/464
Please make PRs.

DzarTheDemon
In-game: CrystalFox

by DzarTheDemon » Post

Ever wonder how much stuff, minimum, you need to make a HV Battery Box, a Switch to network it, a Fuel Fire Gen to charge it and 3 HV Cables to tie it all together? Wonder no more!!

Completely broken down, this is what I have come up with as the minimum raw supplies needed to make 1 HV Battery Box, 1 Switching Station, 1 Fuel Fired HV Generator and finally 3 HV Cables to connect everything. I will also list all of the supplies you may have left over after using all of the items correctly. I did not include fuel cost for smelting the raw materials, the items required for a Fuel Fired Alloy Furnace or a normal Furnace to smelt said raw minerals. There were times when I had to pick one in a few different recipes, like I didn't use any of the "Sufluric" Recipes for the batteries, so my answer may be different from yours if you attempt this breakdown challenge. See if you can trace back my reverse engineering to make these items from the raw minerals listed!

The Minimum supplies you might need for making 1 HV Battery Box, 1 Switching Station, 1 Fuel Fired HV Generator and 3 HV Cables are...
253 Copper,
14 Stone,
435 Iron,
675 Wood,
31 Coal,
9 Zinc,
4 Tin,
2 Sapling,
4 Chromium,
66 Leaves, (Or more, you may need more leaves cuz I miscalculated the amount of Spools required)
16 Raw Latex,
and 126 Papyrus

If you utilized the above supplies correctly, you should have your HV BB, Switch, FF HV Gen and 3 HV Cables plus these spare items for later use.
8 Mix Metal,
1 Bronze,
1 Glue,
2 Stain Steel,
2 Tubes,
4 Empty Spool, (Hint, Empty Spools are reusable!)
1 Oil/Unrefined Paraphrin/Plastic,
1 HV Cable,
and 5 LV Cable

Hope you guys enjoy trying to solve my puzzle!

thetoolman
GitHub: tealethetoolman
IRC: thetoolman

by thetoolman » Post

Hey there!

I'm working on an enrichment facility using the technic mod. I've come across that I can't seem to track down, so I'm coming to the community to ask for help.

My generation is done by a giant solar panel and under it I have a huge assortment of batteries and the switching station for the HV. This is all HV. HV cable goes underground through a series of tunnels and finally up to my enrichment facility. In the enrichment facility, I have made a giant power substation to manage the massive amount of power that the grinders and centrifuges consume. Big stainless steel structure with HV batteries, MV batteries, supply converters, a couple of power monitors, and a switching station for the MV. I had to do this as setting the supply converters to any number above 10keu resets them to 10keu. So I ran out of space with the structure that I made so I started making annex structures that stem off the side of it. Well at some point, the supply converters say that they have not network yet the batteries (HV/MV) all seem to be fine. Well I went and made an extra row inside the structure with two whole rows of supply converters. Those all work fine. I'm trying to figure out why the supply converters are saying no network. I have a screenshot below where I'm trying to build one of the annex stations. The supply converter on the left has normal operating parameters. The one on the right does not and just tells me that it has no network. Does anyone know why this is doing this or how I can debug it? Thanks.
Attachments
supply converters.png
supply converters.png (186.95 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

i remember never build them nearby, node by node, keep a space between them and check.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

aristotle
GitHub: askotos
IRC: aristotle_
In-game: aristotle
Location: Currently on Melpomene, waiting for the starship to be fixed.

by aristotle » Post

First of all: this mod is awesome! I really like it! :D

About the batteries: what are the two slots for? 2 control logic units? More efficiency?
And... what would a pipe be expected to do when connected to the battery?

Thanks in advance ;)
Happy builds & explorations! | Initiating my Creative Minetest channel on YouTube

SpaghettiToastBook
In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Post

The battery boxes' upgrades are explained in the manual, under the heading "battery boxes".

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I wonder if technic has a switch that is controlled by Mesecon signal like the energy converters being able to be enabled by Mesecon signal. So when a Mesecon signal is active the switch closes the circuit and the energy gets transferred and when no Mesecons signal is present the switch opens the circuit and energy is not transferred.

I wasn't able to find one with the usual keywords.

DoyleChris
In-game: DoyleChris

by DoyleChris » Post

Linuxdirk, i used a sticky piston with a piece of lv/mv/hv cable and made it activate from a controller.