[Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

Re: Technic battery

by Maverick2797 » Post

Merak wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:01
What is a charged battery good for? How is it used?
It can store and transfer energy between battery boxes. You remove it from the "Charge" slot in one box and put it in the "Discharge" slot in another. Other than that it's indistinguishable from a normal battery in regards to crafting and upgrading machinery.
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

by PolySaken » Post

Maverick2797 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 16:03
Spoiler
whtemple1959 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 03:56
Maverick2797 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 13:08

Pretty sure you can rotate stackwise, itemwise and digiline injectors (not the self-contained, ejects down only) to point up or down by holding "sneak" (Shift by default) when right clicking with the screwdriver to avoid opening the filter form.
In general, left clicking has 4 directions of rotation (around a face,) right clicking has 6 (changes axis direction.)
Thank you so much for this information. Where is this type of information located as my searches found no reference about using the shift key to alter the behavior of the nodes/items or the screwdriver? The only reference to the shift key I have ever seen is in the instruction section of the replacer tool. So, with your excellent mentoring my farm now looks beautiful. Now if I can only find a way to start my farm robot automatically. Again my sincere thanks for your help.
AFAIK there isn't any documentation on this feature. I came across it accidentally and found that nodes that contain formspecs (eg inventories) don't often show it if you right-click while sneaking
This is intended. Nodes with right click functionality will never execute it when sneaking.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 05:11
Maverick2797 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 16:03
Spoiler
whtemple1959 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 03:56

Thank you so much for this information. Where is this type of information located as my searches found no reference about using the shift key to alter the behavior of the nodes/items or the screwdriver? The only reference to the shift key I have ever seen is in the instruction section of the replacer tool. So, with your excellent mentoring my farm now looks beautiful. Now if I can only find a way to start my farm robot automatically. Again my sincere thanks for your help.
AFAIK there isn't any documentation on this feature. I came across it accidentally and found that nodes that contain formspecs (eg inventories) don't often show it if you right-click while sneaking
This is intended. Nodes with right click functionality will never execute it when sneaking.
TL;DR sneak-place allows building onto other nodes and not have their right-click callbacks executed.
Wielding a non-node (eg a tool) will not be affected by this (which is why things like the screwdriver, etc work as intended).

I just recently posted an issue on github for minetest, about this very issue (right-click + sneak is ignored).
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/10179

According to paramat and SmallJoker :
SmallJoker wrote: Don't wield a node to trigger that callback. sneak-place is reserved for nodes, thus mods should not use that to implement special functions.
paramat wrote: 'sneak-placing' a node onto another node without triggering a rightclick callback.
For example, the MTG chest where holding 'sneak' prevents the rightclick callback that opens the chest and so allows a node to be built onto a chest.
Many mods use the sneak-place feature to avoid the rightclick callback, so we cannot revert that commit, it would break a lot of mods.

bakkouz

Disabling a Nuclear Reactor

by bakkouz » Post

Hi,
How do you disable/deactivate a nuclear reactor? I have a couple of nuclear reactors on an online server i'd like to relocate but i'm not sure how to put them offline without causing a meltdown. I've tried in singleplayer to disable the core (and/or) removing the uranium rods, but in both cases i caused a meltdown.. so, what exactly is the correct procedure to deactivate the reactor?

Mineminer

Re: Disabling a Nuclear Reactor

by Mineminer » Post

bakkouz wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 15:50
Hi,
How do you disable/deactivate a nuclear reactor? I have a couple of nuclear reactors on an online server i'd like to relocate but i'm not sure how to put them offline without causing a meltdown. I've tried in singleplayer to disable the core (and/or) removing the uranium rods, but in both cases i caused a meltdown.. so, what exactly is the correct procedure to deactivate the reactor?

I think you need to actually let them run their current cycle then dismantle them.

Also I would strongly advise you to make sure administration actually disarm these things from becoming time ticking world bombs. Since from my understanding there is permanent radiation AND Corium which will literally eat the server's world.

Even if no one causes a meltdown on purpose that doesn't stop a griefer from having a "dream" weapon just by causing reactors to have meltdowns. Eating the server's world in the process.

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 16:20
bakkouz wrote:
Hi,

I think you need to actually let them run their current cycle then dismantle them.

Also I would strongly advise you to make sure administration actually disarm these things from becoming time ticking world bombs. Since from my understanding there is permanent radiation AND Corium which will literally eat the server's world.

Even if no one causes a meltdown on purpose that doesn't stop a griefer from having a "dream" weapon just by causing reactors to have meltdowns. Eating the server's world in the process.
There is no proper way to remove a nuclear reactor once it is placed. (It will always meltdown when dug!)

https://github.com/minetest-mods/techni ... or.lua#L12

Code: Select all

local burn_ticks = 7 * 24 * 60 * 60  -- Seconds
https://github.com/minetest-mods/techni ... r.lua#L450

after_dig_node = melt_down_reactor,
You would need to wait for 604,800 seconds (in-game / real-time -- I don't know) but that's about 7-days.

However, it doesn't matter because the nuclear reactor can never be dug once it is placed (without melting down).

A simple solution is to remove line 450 (above) [remove the after_dig_node definition] and that will allow
the reactor to be removed.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

neoh4x0r wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 23:41
Mineminer wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 16:20
bakkouz wrote:
Hi,

There is no proper way to remove a nuclear reactor once it is placed. (It will always meltdown when dug!)

https://github.com/minetest-mods/techni ... or.lua#L12

local burn_ticks = 7 * 24 * 60 * 60  -- Seconds
https://github.com/minetest-mods/techni ... r.lua#L450

after_dig_node = melt_down_reactor,
You would need to wait for 604,800 seconds (in-game / real-time -- I don't know) but that's about 7-days.

However, it doesn't matter because the nuclear reactor can never be dug once it is placed (without melting down).

A simple solution is to remove line 450 (above) [remove the after_dig_node definition] and that will allow
the reactor to be removed.

YIKES! Gotta apply such changes to the server promptly!

Thanks very much for caring to explain this to us! :)

Merak

[Mod] Technic Nuclear Reactor

by Merak » Post

What is burn_ticks the time for?

Mineminer

Re: [Mod] Technic Nuclear Reactor

by Mineminer » Post

Merak wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 15:06
What is burn_ticks the time for?

How long the rods will lasts. By default a week which is 168 in person hours.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

The hv_nuclear_reactor_core_active does not have a on_blast, so maybe it is possible to remove it with TNT.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 21:07
The hv_nuclear_reactor_core_active does not have a on_blast, so maybe it is possible to remove it with TNT.

Uh... I rather just nullify the code and call it a day. Stock reactors are just way to dangerous without tweaks like these or something else in it's place if your not up to "dumbing it".

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Not going to use a nuclear reactor EVER because of all the issues it can cause :)

So I made this and might use it in the future.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 23:37
Not going to use a nuclear reactor EVER because of all the issues it can cause :)

While I agree the stock settings and even that line item is absurd for any serious servers. Much of it can be disabled with standard settings (which is why they probably exists in the first place).

What's annoyed me more was the fact that I had to actually edited the code. Which server admins shouldn't be required to do. That's normally the modders' responsibilities to provide properly exposed settings for best practices. Despite it's not being a large or overly complicated code change.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 23:48
What's annoyed me more was the fact that I had to actually edited the code. Which server admins shouldn't be required to do. That's normally the modders' responsibilities to provide properly exposed settings for best practices.
Yes, but Technic is quite a mess. There are even things that can’t be crafted when some other mods are not enabled. It just silently fails (no warning, no alternative recipe, etc.). I highly doubt it would be possible to add options for disabling certain things without rewriting large parts of it.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Just use techpack /s
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

easy for no meltdown - there are mods you just can switch a node to another ... nuclear_reactor_core replace with ... a Iceblock maybe ... and done

my solution, as less was, starting server just without the nuclear options, also easy do delete unkown_blocks ... even automatic
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Merak

by Merak » Post

I'm guessing that the wrench would cause a dig, but I am not certain.

A nuclear reactor can surely power a force field to keep itself safe as long as it is active. People creating one in order to grief is still a problem.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Merak wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 15:48
I'm guessing that the wrench would cause a dig, but I am not certain.

A nuclear reactor can surely power a force field to keep itself safe as long as it is active. People creating one in order to grief is still a problem.

A huge problem, since the world is literally eaten in the process while the Corium eats anything in it's path until the world is literally no more.

To a lesser but still a problem extent is the radiation.

Thankfully both of these are configurable, you just need to edit the code for the dig thingy though.

Merak

by Merak » Post

The corium flow is only going to eat downward to a degree, it won't actually eat the entire world, I believe.

I created a nuclear meltdown and tried to scoop up the corium source with a bucket while wearing a hazmat suit. Even with the suit, I still died before I could scoop up the corium.
It may be good for playability if there were a way to get near the source and scoop it up or if the source became chernobylite after a time.
Maybe make depleted uranium or something impenetrable to corium also.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Merak wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 19:14
The corium flow is only going to eat downward to a degree, it won't actually eat the entire world, I believe.

I confused on what you means. I thought it's continuously changes directions eating anything in it's path. So unless it's just happens to go pass the world bordering before it done any serious damage isn't it just going to sit there and keep on moving around eating anything in it's path continuously?

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

You can turn off corium griefing, radiation damage and longterm radiation damage in config.lua, by the way.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 22:28
You can turn off corium griefing, radiation damage and longterm radiation damage in config.lua, by the way.

That what I did, these things are world ticking time bombs otherwise.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 22:28
Yes, that is the problem. you need to manually change upstream code. So you always need to manually merge your stuff when Technic is updated.

Configuration should NEVER be done in code but only by using the available configuration system.

captenfalkonion
In-game: captefalkonion

by captenfalkonion » Post

I want to build a nuclearreactor but i dont understand how i can get 3,5fissle uran?can someone tell me?

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Either cheat and use the /give command, or use centrifuges and get the uranium the hard way.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course