by CarBarr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 00:15

Thanks, corrected the problem, I did not realize that dependency with pipeworks

Vince

GitHub: vaggrippino
IRC: Vince
In-game: Vince

Hydro LV Generator changes since Feb 2017

by Vince » Mon Apr 17, 2017 02:26

I have been having a hard time with the Hydro LV Generator. I couldn't get it to output any power.

I was sure that when I first started playing Minetest I had figured out how to get 100% output from a Hydro Generator.

Here's what it says in the manual:

The hydro generator is an LV power generator that generates a small amount of power from the natural motion of water. To operate, the generator must be horizontally adjacent to water. It doesn't matter whether the water consists of source blocks or flowing blocks. Having water adjacent on more than one side, up to the full four, increases the generator's output. The water itself is unaffected by the generator.

Well, the manual hasn't been updated and I found out why I've been having trouble by looking through the code and the commit history. The way it works was changed in February 2017. Now, the water must be flowing water, not water source.

This does make logical sense. A real life hydroelectrical generator requires fast-moving water something like a waterfall, but it also breaks the experience a little bit.

There's still something I don't understand. In the code it looks to me like it only checks water on its sides (x and z position), but having flowing water on all four sides doesn't bring it up to 100%. Having flowing water two nodes deep on all four sides does bring it up to 100%.

So, with this information, here's the setup that worked for me:

Code: Select all
a: air, c: cable, s: water source, f: flowing water, g: Hydro Generator, x: stone / cobble
|aacaa|
|sfgfs|
|xfffx|
-------

Screenshot taken on VanessaE's Survival Server:

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

by VanessaE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 03:06

Documentation is fixed now. :-)

The reason you needed water flowing two nodes deep is because the turbine reads the flowing water's param2 value, which just happens to be similar to the flow volume of the water (it's close enough to be useful, anyway). The engine gives small param2 values to water that's flowing horizontally, and the largest values to water that's flowing straight down.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)

barsik

GitHub: bvs23bkv33
In-game: barsik

Re: Hydro LV Generator changes since Feb 2017

by barsik » Thu Apr 20, 2017 16:23

Vince wrote:This does make logical sense. A real life hydroelectrical generator requires fast-moving water something like a waterfall, but it also breaks the experience a little bit.

no
this doesn't
at first, hydro generator worked as tidal powerplant
now, if you want to measure generated electricity by water flow like in powerplants that stand on rivers/waterfalls you need to count meters water fallen before it "hit the fan"(c) of hydro generator, implement rivers in minetest etc.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 20:54

It was never meant to be tidal, and it still works fine for low-head situations like a horizontal channel running past it with a water source a few meters away. It doesn't count water nodes, it just takes advantage of what the engine does to make water flow normally, and adds up the param2 values of the few water nodes horizontally-adjacent to the turbine.

All it takes to get 100% output is to place a water source directly on top of the turbine and let it flow downward (I should add a check to prevent that, actually).

The dam on my Survival server (30001) has a whole bunch of them stacked up inside it, with water pouring over them courtesy of a big artificial lake that was built a few years before flowing water became necessary, with a bunch of holes cut in the inner wall of the dam to let the water through.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)

Vince

by Vince » Fri Apr 21, 2017 02:31

I've revised my LV Generator Setup including both the Hydro and Geothermal generators. It's a little hard to explain and using ASCII art can only give a cross-section.
  • I have water sources sitting next to the generator on two opposite corners.
  • The holes on the sides adjacent to the generator go two nodes deep so the water flows into these holes from the sources.
  • Adjacent to one of the flowing water holes is a Geothermal generator and on the other side of the Geothermal generator is another 2-node-deep hole for the lava.
  • I put a single Lava source in the hole on top, so it flows down into the hole below it.

Both generators have 100% output.

I encased the whole thing in granite. That's mostly for aesthetic value, but it helps remind me not to flood my basement with lava when building below the generator :)

The following screenshot was taken on my own single player server. At this point, I've already moved on to MV power, but I haven't built a CNC machine yet. So, it's just there for looks.

The green brick floor and dark green glass ceiling are completely unrelated, but they're both from the Coloured Blocks mod. I was going for an earthy theme.

I'll attach the WorldEdit file I created so that I don't have to rebuild this every time I rebuild my server. This contains the switching station, battery box, and the entire granite section. Overall, it's a 5x5x7 region.
Attachments
LV-Hydro+Geothermal_Generators.we
WorldEdit for ideal Hydro + Geothermal generators
(14.26 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Apr 21, 2017 02:40

Soon, I will post a huge long line of screenshots of stuff my friend and I did on a survival server with Technic. It's pretty great :D
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -

MinisterFarrigut

In-game: singleplayer

by MinisterFarrigut » Sun May 14, 2017 16:06

Hey, I'm having an issue with Technic. For some reason everytime I enable Technic and Pipeworks on a world with the quartz and home decor mod, the quartz and home decor mods don't work. They become unknown nodes. These two mods seem to be the only ones affected by Technic and Pipeworks. What is happening?
I build buildings. I don't usually make mods...I use them.

LaserJet

In-game: LaserJet

by LaserJet » Fri May 19, 2017 02:41

Hi I wanted this mod so I could test a nuclear meltdown on my singleplayer so could someone please tell me what to do since I heard it had problems so please help me out how to do it on MOBILE
<843jdc> Done. Bye Baggins.
<LaserJet> THANK YOU AiTechEye FOR YOUR HELP ON GETTING MINETEST ON A PC!!!

ABJ

Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Sun May 21, 2017 16:00

Nuclear reactor = HUGE complex building not documented last time I checked. (Correct me if is)
But this is from what I remember
C=Concrete
I=Wrought Iron
N=Reactor Core
W=Water Source
V=High Voltage Cable

C C C C C C C
C I I I I I C
C I W W W I C
C I W N W I C
C I W V W I C
C I I V I I C
C C C V C C C

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun May 21, 2017 16:54

Nuclear reactor with a cable coming up from below. Surround that with 3x3x3 water source, 5x5x5 lead blocks, 7x7x7 blast-resistant concrete, then 9x9x9 regular concrete. Cross-section through the center:
CCCCCCCCC
CBBBBBBBC
CBLLLLLBC
CBLWWWLBC
CBLWOWLBC
CBLW|WLBC
CBLL|LLBC
CBBB|BBBC
CCCC|CCCC

Where C = concrete, B = blast-resistant concrete, L = lead block, W = water source, O = the reactor core, and "|" is the cable.

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Sun May 21, 2017 18:30

VanessaE wrote:Nuclear reactor with a cable coming up from below. Surround that with 3x3x3 water source, 5x5x5 lead blocks, 7x7x7 blast-resistant concrete, then 9x9x9 regular concrete. Cross-section through the center:
CCCCCCCCC
CBBBBBBBC
CBLLLLLBC
CBLWWWLBC
CBLWOWLBC
CBLW|WLBC
CBLL|LLBC
CBBB|BBBC
CCCC|CCCC

Where C = concrete, B = blast-resistant concrete, L = lead block, W = water source, O = the reactor core, and "|" is the cable.

nice. +1
remember the reactor accident of cernobyl.
there should be a simulated accident with a nuclear clouds and a pollution around the reactor buildiing.
Or is that to difficult to release, but this is not the right thread for this. i know sorry about this words.

MinisterFarrigut

by MinisterFarrigut » Sun May 21, 2017 23:05

I kinda feel like my post above was ignored but I don't want to bug you all...could I have some input on my problem?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sun May 21, 2017 23:28

Minister, I would have said something but I don't actually know what's wrong, unless there's a misnamed mod?

MinisterFarrigut

by MinisterFarrigut » Mon May 22, 2017 00:58

It's all right. I actually fixed the problem somehow. I guess it was a misnamed mod.

ABJ

Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Vince

by Vince » Sat May 27, 2017 21:55

ABJ wrote:Nuclear reactor = HUGE complex building not documented last time I checked. (Correct me if is)

The entire process for enriching uranium and building the nuclear reactor is very well documented: https://github.com/minetest-mods/techni ... -generator

I've built it a few times on singleplayer servers. I almost caused a meltdown once by digging a block that I shouldn't have. If you go through all the trouble to build the thing, it's pretty easy to avoid causing a meltdown.

If you want to see a meltdown without causing it yourself, there's a video on YouTube.

data8e

GitHub: data8e
In-game: data8e

by data8e » Wed Jun 07, 2017 01:30

every time i try to enable the Technic Mod i get a strange error message. Can anyone help me out with this? Please and thank you. I am posting a pic of the error with this.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170606_202405.png
(711.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Nore
Developer

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Wed Jun 07, 2017 01:34

You need to rename the technic folder to just "technic" and not "technic-master".

data8e

GitHub: data8e
In-game: data8e

Linuxdirk

GitHub: 4w
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:57

Nore wrote:You need to rename the technic folder to just "technic" and not "technic-master".

Wasn't it solvable by providing the correct name in mod.conf?

See viewtopic.php?p=201061#p201061 ff.

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 13:04

Linuxdirk wrote:
Nore wrote:You need to rename the technic folder to just "technic" and not "technic-master".

Wasn't it solvable by providing the correct name in mod.conf?

See viewtopic.php?p=201061#p201061 ff.

Yes, but as you can see in his screenshot, data8e uses 0.4.13.

@data8e: You should update you minetest version to 0.4.16.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

Enkidu

In-game: Enkidu

by Enkidu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 00:35

VanessaE wrote:Nuclear reactor with a cable coming up from below. Surround that with 3x3x3 water source, 5x5x5 lead blocks, 7x7x7 blast-resistant concrete, then 9x9x9 regular concrete. Cross-section through the center:
CCCCCCCCC
CBBBBBBBC
CBLLLLLBC
CBLWWWLBC
CBLWOWLBC
CBLW|WLBC
CBLL|LLBC
CBBB|BBBC
CCCC|CCCC

Darn! I wish I'd known about the Lead Blocks. I picked up a recipe that used Stainless Steel Blocks, which took ages to gather the ores and create.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 00:41

Oh and I forgot to mention, the checks are done such that you're allowed to be missing exactly two nodes from each layer. Where the missing nodes are taken from doesn't actually matter, but of course that's what allows you to dig the usual vertical 1x1 holes in from the bottom (to place the HV cables) and the top (refuel/maintenance access). :-)

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Wed Jun 14, 2017 09:33

VanessaE wrote:two nodes from each layer

Well, not from the water layer.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases