[Mod] i3 [1.16] [i3]

pitfiend
GitHub: pitfiend

Re: [Mod] i3 [1.2] [i3]

by pitfiend » Post

jp wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 22:11
About the inventory size: no, it's not going to change, I don't care what other mods do, they are inferior to i3 in every way and people should start adapting their mods to a 9-slots wide inventory. This might take years, but it'll eventually get there.

MTG storages/inventory are not "standard" by any means. The real standard is Minecraft and I'm convinced that 9-slots wide like your keyboard is the right thing to do.
It is your choice to do what you think is good for you, but in a community centric development, you are against everyone, even if you made the most nice inventory minetest has ever got. minetest will never be minecraft, so I think we never get 9 slots as standard, unless you update every mod in the contentdb to run by your rules. something I think is totally nuts and useless.

sometimes it's good to listen to your user base and adhere to some standards, even if you don't like them.

last thoughts, as a game admin I really miss some buttons, like day/night, worldedit, home/sethome (that are native stuff in every minetest game). that stuff helps us to test new things in our servers, and our players to have a nice game experience. taking them out is no good for anyone. can't risk to use your awesome mod in my world. sad, but true.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] i3 [1.2] [i3]

by Linuxdirk » Post

pitfiend wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 08:01
It is your choice to do what you think is good for you, but in a community centric development, you are against everyone, even if you made the most nice inventory minetest has ever got. minetest will never be minecraft, so I think we never get 9 slots as standard,
9 slots also is stupid. At least for a hotbar. Having numbers 0-9 (or more specifically 1-9 and 0 as a substitute for 10) to address the slots in the hotbar would make sense. 9 is even more stupid than 8, because 8 splits and multiplies nicely while 9 is always "messy" to handle.

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

Re: [Mod] i3 [1.3] [i3]

by jp » Post

@pitfiend

Home/sethome buttons can be replaced by my versatile implementation of waypoints.
WorldEdit lacks an API to tightly integrate it in i3.
Day/night buttons... that is cluttering, you already have the quick /time command.
sometimes it's good to listen to your user base and adhere to some standards, even if you don't like them. [...] can't risk to use your awesome mod in my world. sad, but true.
Interestingly, MineClone2 has a 9-slots wide inventory and is still the most popular subgame in Minetest. So it sounds like you're giving lame excuses to explain what is resistance to change, actually.

Do not count on me to listen or follow to things that are just "traditionally good to have". I leave that to the people devoid of talent that design ugly and slow stuff like Unified Inventory, and to all its users who have this strong herd instinct to maintain the status quo.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

jp wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 14:56
Do not count on me to listen or follow to things that are just "traditionally good to have". I leave that to the people devoid of talent that design ugly and slow stuff like Unified Inventory, and to all its users who have this strong herd instinct to maintain the status quo.
How high in the air can one's nose be?

pitfiend

by pitfiend » Post

jp wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 14:56
@pitfiend

Home/sethome buttons can be replaced by my versatile implementation of waypoints.
WorldEdit lacks an API to tightly integrate it in i3.
Day/night buttons... that is cluttering, you already have the quick /time command.
sometimes it's good to listen to your user base and adhere to some standards, even if you don't like them. [...] can't risk to use your awesome mod in my world. sad, but true.
Interestingly, MineClone2 has a 9-slots wide inventory and is still the most popular subgame in Minetest. So it sounds like you're giving lame excuses to explain what is resistance to change, actually.

how naive of me to think that you can understand Quality of Life if you can't understand Standards...

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

how naive of me to think that you can understand Quality of Life if you can't understand Standards...
I do write the standards.

pitfiend

by pitfiend » Post

wrong. the minetest devs have done that a long time ago.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

jp wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 02:06
pitfiend wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 02:57
lol !
I don't think pitfiend understood the relevance behind your links jp aka kilbith.

@pitfiend do have a look at when jp joined the forum and then connect this with your statement of "long ago" then study the linked documents again to make a more intelligent guess, ;-P

That aside I do think jp is somewhat harsh at times when rejecting ideas from others and in the issues concerning the i3 inventory I wish it indeed could be more flexible at places ... not saying he should add everything suggested.
but then again jp is one of the few to follow some sort of design concept and it is all his to follow that concept as strickt as he wishes to.

(gonna hijack the i3 for my secret personal project sometime nevertheless, once I find time to get my broken game running again that is)

pitfiend

by pitfiend » Post

twoelk wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 08:34
jp wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 02:06
pitfiend wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 02:57
lol !
I don't think pitfiend understood the relevance behind your links jp aka kilbith.

@pitfiend do have a look at when jp joined the forum and then connect this with your statement of "long ago" then study the linked documents again to make a more intelligent guess, ;-P

That aside I do think jp is somewhat harsh at times when rejecting ideas from others and in the issues concerning the i3 inventory I wish it indeed could be more flexible at places ... not saying he should add everything suggested.
but then again jp is one of the few to follow some sort of design concept and it is all his to follow that concept as strickt as he wishes to.

(gonna hijack the i3 for my secret personal project sometime nevertheless, once I find time to get my broken game running again that is)
I played this game from the beginning, before he came! what piss me is his stubbornness to accept good ideas that will benefit the community. indeed he don't need to add everything people ask for, but saying he make the rules, the standards and everything else as he wishes says more about his ego than the good job his is doing.

no one is saying that i3 sucks. we are saying it's really good, but need some improvements. we are talking about QoL, flexibility and rock solid standards that where set before he came.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

guess I should have guessed you might be a longtime player :)
but then you should know which mt people like to join in on a little round of head butting.
just as I said some people are a little harsh at times and jp is pretty efficient at annoying people.
don't get distracted by that. find some more convincing usecases for your requests. I've seen most headstrong mt people change their minds if provided with enough good arguments though it took some time now and then.

besides using his mods quite often; never bothered to argue much. I think the only thing I ever fully agreed with him on was that driving bicycle in the provence is fun - except if you have to fight the mistral. actually you have to be quite headstrong to fight that wind ... ... hmm ... maybe that's where stubborness is trained ... never thought of that ... hm. hope I'm not mixing up people. I really should do more bike riding again (sigh)

pitfiend

by pitfiend » Post

twoelk wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:50
guess I should have guessed you might be a longtime player :)
but then you should know which mt people like to join in on a little round of head butting.
funny... before this I never had to complain about someone attitude. mod is good enough to be default inventory in this new 5.4.x era, but some rough edges need to be polished before that happens. for example
- craft guide must be enabled even in creative (with buttons to get 1, 10 or 99 items)
- a home waypoint could be present even if not set, allowing player to set or unset it wherever they want
- day/nigth buttons for admins
- multi bags
- a hotbar with as many items you may want
- better integration with admin mods like worldedit

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

There is a variable HOTBAR_COUNT in the code. Maybe jp is going to give us some nice surprise :)

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] i3 [1.3.1] [i3]

by jp » Post

Update: i3 1.3.1 released.

This is a bugfix release and the search feature is now smarter to different keywords typed in the same search.

Ghima
IRC: Ghima
In-game: Ghima

by Ghima » Post

Trying to get your mod to work, but there seems to be an issue with it and 3d armor. Also happened when a player running 5.3.0 connected to the server. (I removed code from the .lua file to see if/what would trigger another error.)

Code: Select all

2021-07-04 19:26:52: WARNING[Server]: 3d_armor[set_player_armor]: Detached armor inventory is nil
2021-07-04 19:26:52: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'i3' in callback environment_Step(): /home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3/init.lua:3305: attempt to index local 'data' (a nil value)
2021-07-04 19:26:52: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-07-04 19:26:52: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3/init.lua:3305: in function </home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3/init.lua:3297>
2021-07-04 19:26:52: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/multicraft/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:456: in function </home/user/multicraft/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:440>

2021-07-04 19:29:00: WARNING[Server]: 3d_armor[set_player_armor]: Detached armor inventory is nil
2021-07-04 19:29:00: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'i3' in callback on_joinplayer(): /home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3/init.lua:3317: attempt to index local 'data' (a nil value)
2021-07-04 19:29:00: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-07-04 19:29:00: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3/init.lua:3317: in function </home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3/init.lua:3313>
2021-07-04 19:29:00: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/multicraft/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:456: in function </home/user/multicraft/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:440>
P.S. I love the progressive setting on the crafting guide, and is essentially the main reason I'm using this. Rest of it is great too. (Just a suggestion, perhaps a confirmation popup when hitting the "Trash All Items" button. I'd hate for a noob to hit it... or someone do it on accident and lose everything. I actually removed the button in order to avoid that possibility -- which works just fine for me if that's the solution I need to employ. Just a thought on the popup.)

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

@Ghima: Seeing by the Lua traceback, you are not using the latest version of the mod. Get it on ContentDB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/jp/i3/

And be sure you're using the latest version of 3d_armor too.

EDIT: this might be actually an issue related to the progressive mode. Please do check this version: https://github.com/minetest-mods/i3/arc ... s/main.zip

Ghima

by Ghima » Post

I was having the issue the other day before your update you just released, so I downloaded that and tried it. Still had issues and the log I posted was with the latest update. My 3d armor should be up to date too. I'll give that version you linked a try and see how it goes.

A side note that I was able to work around: unless I had skinsdb installed, if I clicked the "Skins" tab, I would crash. Installing skinsdb alleviated that issue. I can reproduce that and post a log of the crash if you want it.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

Ghima wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 00:30
(Just a suggestion, perhaps a confirmation popup when hitting the "Trash All Items" button. I'd hate for a noob to hit it... or someone do it on accident and lose everything. I actually removed the button in order to avoid that possibility -- which works just fine for me if that's the solution I need to employ. Just a thought on the popup.)
Added:

Also outdated clients (< MT 5.4) will be kicked on sight now until they update their clients.

Ghima

by Ghima » Post

Just tried the i3-main link you gave. It immediately had an issue and server failed to start. I've included a couple lines back, just incase there is any relevancy from it.

2021-07-06 00:28:33: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/signs_lib/init.lua:15: in main chunk
2021-07-06 00:28:33: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "unified_inventory" accessed at /home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/skinsdb/formspecs.lua:2
2021-07-06 00:28:33: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3main/init.lua:
2021-07-06 00:28:33: ERROR[Main]: /home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3main/init.lua:2719: attempt to call field 'register_on_chatcommand' (a nil value)
2021-07-06 00:28:33: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-07-06 00:28:33: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3main/init.lua:2719: in main chunk
And happy to see the confirmation popup! Nice!

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

The error log says that your client does not support some core builtin function.
  • what's your engine version?
  • provide your list of mods in use.
  • on line 2719 of i3/init.lua, can you attempt to change core.register_on_chatcommand to minetest.register_on_chatcommand and see what's happening?

Ghima

by Ghima » Post

My server is hosted by Edgy1 as a Multicraft server.

free.edgy1.net 40000

2.0.0, MultiCraft, v7 (Does that answer the engine version? If not, where can I find that information?)
Mods (65)
Spoiler
irc
irc_commands
headanim
betterpm
wielded_light
worldedit
worldedit_commands
worldedit_shortcommands
worldedit_brush
weather
sfinv
sethome
screwdriver
player_api
signs_lib
coalfromtrees
bees
meseport
walls
stairs
give_initial_stuff
flowers
butterflies
fire
ambience
3d_armor
stamina
skinsdb
3d_armor_mobile
wieldview
shields
3d_armor_ui
3d_armor_stand
3d_armor_sfinv
3d_armor_ip
tnt
env_sounds
dungeon_loot
nether
vessels
fireflies
carts
bucket
doors
xpanes
creative
worldedit_gui
binoculars
bones
boats
game_commands
dye
wool
farming
mobs
mobs_monster
mobs_animal
livingnether
bows
animalworld
bonemeal
beds
spawn
map
Here is the log for changing it from core to minetest:

2021-07-06 12:21:29: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3main/init.lua:
2021-07-06 12:21:29: ERROR[Main]: /home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3main/init.lua:2721: attempt to call field 'register_on_chatcommand' (a nil value)
2021-07-06 12:21:29: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-07-06 12:21:29: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/worlds/world/worldmods/i3main/init.lua:2721: in main chunk
Keep in mind that I've had more success with the standard mod from ContentDB, where the server would actually start with that one and crash under certain circumstances, while with this one, it fails to even start. You know far better than I do which problem is the appropriate one to tackle.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

This mod does not support commercial forks of Minetest like MultiCraft, you should have specified that from the beginning. Moreover, MultiCraft 2.0 does not match the Minetest 5.4 API requirement, they still use 5.3 as far I'm aware. It's possible that they lack the `register_on_chatcommand` function.

Ghima

by Ghima » Post

Bummer, understood. Thanks for looking into my problem, regardless. And agreed, I should have noted that to start with -- I figured the /multicraft/ line in the directory line of the code I initially posted would have made that known... though that's quite hidden unless you're looking carefully.

Besides having played Minetest briefly many, many years ago, I'm quite new to this community and the game itself, so I've fairly unaware of how different certain games/forks are from each other.

Besides your previous crafting guide, do you know of any mods that feature a "progressive" crafting/recipe guide? I think it's a brilliant idea and would love to employ it on my server. I'm not a modder, but am willing to learn if making my own is simple enough.

daret

by daret » Post

Hi,

I just crated a tab version of skinsdb for i3.

If someone interested, you can find it here: https://github.com/daretmavi/i3
You can enable and disable it with i3_skinsdb_tab setting.
Other changes:
  • progresive mode is not available in creative
  • turn off trash in survival with i3_no_trash_in_survival setting
The code is not the best one, it is taken from skinsdb mod and i3 inventory.
Maybe jp could take it, make it better and implement in the official version ;-)

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] i3 [1.3.2] [i3]

by jp » Post

You don't need to make a fork to add a new tab. You can do that on a separate mod depending on i3.
Nice formspec, though.

i3 1.3.2 has been released.

daret

Re: [Mod] i3 [1.3.2] [i3]

by daret » Post

Thanx,

I would like to create my own mod depended on i3 only, but I'm only a hobby programmer and this is my first experiment with formspec.

I'm not sure how to change some behavior on delete some elements in inventory from other mod, like:
  • Creative - progresive mode. I can't accept that I have to go to the settings and turn off progresive mode to get all element in creative. (See issue #19)
  • How to remove some elements like "skinsdb" if I use my own tab?
  • I don't like the message "not installed". I would better hide it. How to do it from other mod.
  • How can I delete trash in survival?
  • Other things I would like to have configurable - GUI size, Number of slots, ...
I saw i3.override_tab in API, but override the whole inventory, this looks too challenging.