[Mod] Skyblock [skyblock]

cornernote

Re: [Game] SkyBlock [skyblock]

by cornernote » Post

Its a game, but is also available as a mod. Not sure how it goes on the latest version, any issues let me know and I will try to fix them. If you just want to play it as it was when I made it, go to the bottom of the home page and you can download the whole minetest with the game installed (minetest 0.4.3).

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

cornernote wrote:Its a game, but is also available as a mod. Not sure how it goes on the latest version, any issues let me know and I will try to fix them. If you just want to play it as it was when I made it, go to the bottom of the home page and you can download the whole minetest with the game installed (minetest 0.4.3).
I would help you develop it, but I'm very busy this summer.

MinecraftBoy
In-game: Oliver_MV

by MinecraftBoy » Post

WoW Cool game

fireuser

by fireuser » Post

Interesting game. It is good, but hard to work with.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

this is glitched up (see issue on github)

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Hi stormchaser3000,

Will do my best to get it working again.

Issue link (for anyone else interested) is: https://github.com/cornernote/minetest- ... k/issues/1

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

issue is resolved.

also removed bones as that was kind of cheating if you get your items back after death

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

hey-o! missed me? i sure missed you cornernote!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkCojsQIAxs
check this thing out!

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

Just thinking about lava... Maybe it should be made renewable (it is no longer renewable in minetest_game since a long time), so that players could have infinite lava?
Also, since grass does not spawn naturally, it is not possible to farm wheat I reckon...

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

This is one of the games that ought to be bundled with Minetest. It is a relatively small game (=no long download time), gives the player some nice goals, introduces what can be done in games like this. Many players like the challenge of building such a skyplatform without falling down. How's the status of the game?
A list of my mods can be found here.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

hey, cornernote, maybe you could help me? i would very much like a button to go to the next level, because achievements don't work properly. or at least some way to go around these bugs when i can't get achievements because i can't get them. is there a way to do this somehow?
Sokomine wrote:This is one of the games that ought to be bundled with Minetest. It is a relatively small game (=no long download time), gives the player some nice goals, introduces what can be done in games like this. Many players like the challenge of building such a skyplatform without falling down. How's the status of the game?
^ that

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Mito551 wrote: hey, cornernote, maybe you could help me? i would very much like a button to go to the next level, because achievements don't work properly. or at least some way to go around these bugs when i can't get achievements because i can't get them. is there a way to do this somehow?
I changed my local copy so that the infinite water source achievement was detected when I used the bucket the next time. Most of the trouble arises from minetest_game having developed and changed in the meantime.

Issues found so far:
* Please force singlenode mapgen. Else if a player forgets it, chaos arises.
* Water instead of endless depths is nice as such, but: Flowing water is a bit expensive. It might be better to let the mapgen place all those water sources automaticly. That's not particulary important for desktops, but there are also tablets out there running the game under Android. They may profit from less flowing water.
* Lava source turns into obsidian when in contact with water. It didn't do that in older versions of minetest_game. Now your lava source is soon destroyed, and the game ends. The default game provides functions to override lava cooling and change it to something else.
* Tools are now crafted out of mese crystals instead of mese blocks; Thus, the reward of 1 block is 9 times as much as before. This is cancelled out by mese picks no longer beeing very durable. Apart from adding a way to get new mese, there's no need for a change.
* place_water_infinite cannot be reached. At least I found no way.
* There are now pine trees in the default game. They might grow randomly from saplings as well.
* Apart from default, stairs and doors would also be useful. Perhaps the entire minetest_game.
* Cacti auto-rotate when placed. Thus, the achievement cannot be reached.
* default:fence_wood is the new name for fences. They're called default:fence in skyblock; the achievement cannot be reached.
* Beds and doors are part of default. They might be small new achievements. The same goes for farming and flowers (=dye sources).
* Show the craft receipe for each step when clicking on a button with "help" placed next to the achievement. In case of cobblestone generator and infinite water source, either a short text or a picture illustrating how it can be done might help.
* A craft guide might be a good idea.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Mito551 wrote:hey, cornernote, maybe you could help me? i would very much like a button to go to the next level, because achievements don't work properly. or at least some way to go around these bugs when i can't get achievements because i can't get them. is there a way to do this somehow?
It's been a while since I coded this, so the best I can offer is a kick in the right direction.

You would have to call something like this:

Code: Select all

level = 1 -- 1-4
player = ? -- cant remember how to get this
pos = ? -- the pos where you want the next level to appear
levels[level].make_start_blocks(pos, player)
Sorry I can't give a more detailed answer.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

i'll try to figure out, but i'm guessing that i would need to have some sort of action for that? like, time or keybind or something.
anyway, i'll try myself and ask around other people too, thanks.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Mito551 wrote: i'll try to figure out, but i'm guessing that i would need to have some sort of action for that? like, time or keybind or something.
Which achievement gives you trouble in particular? Most points can be fixed more or less easily by adjusting the code.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Mito551 wrote: i'll try to figure out, but i'm guessing that i would need to have some sort of action for that? like, time or keybind or something.
Which achievement gives you trouble in particular? Most points can be fixed more or less easily by adjusting the code.
collecting lava and infinite water source. i dunno... on freeminer?

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Mito551 wrote:
Sokomine wrote:
collecting lava and infinite water source. i dunno... on freeminer?
I have the same exact issues, mainly the infinite water source, I have done this 7 times and never made the source, did both methods too, 3 across and the diagonal 4 box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m_X2CqzoGE long video, just scroll towards the end before I got mad and blew up the map with TNT.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I just checked it out and it worked for me but it was quirky. First, I made a water source 2x2 and it wasn't giving it to me. So then I expanded it to 2x8 and it still wasn't giving it to me. Then I placed water sources into the water sources already there and kept taking and putting it in for a number of times, I'm not sure maybe 10 or 20. Then I went and checked and it had given me the achievement. Hope this helps, it seems either the engine code is buggy or the skyblock code is buggy. I have played this before, like a year ago, and it worked fine then for that achievement. The fence achievement is buggy, the name for the fences it checks is wrong.

EDIT: To get the fences achievement to work properly, replace line 262 of the level_3.lua file in the mods\skyblock\skyblock\levels\default folder with the following code:

if newnode.name == "default:fence_wood" or newnode.name == "xfences:fence" then
It should be reading this before the replacement:

if newnode.name == "default:fence" or newnode.name == "xfences:fence" then

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Hi LionsDen, Thanks for this. I have updated the git repository.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I've fixed most of the problems caused by changes in newer versions of minetest_game and added two additional levels - one which focusses on stonebrick and its variations plus the new ores, and one that concentrates on farming. A full minetest_game minus bones and fire ought to do. If doors, beds, wool and farming are not installed, the new levels will not be available. I've also added a very basic craft guide which shows how to craft what is needed in each step. There's also a tiny reward for finishing the last level.

It would be helpful if someone could test it. The fork can be found on github.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Sokomine wrote:I've fixed most of the problems caused by changes in newer versions of minetest_game and added two additional levels - one which focusses on stonebrick and its variations plus the new ores, and one that concentrates on farming. A full minetest_game minus bones and fire ought to do. If doors, beds, wool and farming are not installed, the new levels will not be available. I've also added a very basic craft guide which shows how to craft what is needed in each step. There's also a tiny reward for finishing the last level.

It would be helpful if someone could test it. The fork can be found on github.
I am going to give it a go, thank you for the fork!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

maikerumine wrote: I am going to give it a go, thank you for the fork!
Thank you! Once the test is complete, the fork ought to be integrated back into the original version of the mod. The fork exists just for testing. So far, sadly, nobody else has done any testing (or at least reported back).

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I have played it a little bit but haven't gotten too far yet. I've been a little busy lately and it looks like I will be that way for the next few weeks. One thing I hated about the original was having to create the coal and iron blocks and then having to mine them. It got tedious fast.

EDIT: One thing I would change is like my extras mod I created for myself which changes dirt so that it has a chance to give you some clay when it is dug. I also changed stone so that when it was dug it had a chance to give you ore. The rarer the ore, the smaller the chance you got some. I think this would work well in a skyblock universe.

*NOTE* I do not use my extras mod in regular minetest but made it just to see if I could and for use in very resource poor worlds.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Sokomine wrote:
maikerumine wrote: I am going to give it a go, thank you for the fork!
Thank you! Once the test is complete, the fork ought to be integrated back into the original version of the mod. The fork exists just for testing. So far, sadly, nobody else has done any testing (or at least reported back).
LOVE IT!

I finally made it past level one. SIGH.

The noticeable differences on level one were that you could:
*punch trees with fist and not need axe.
*all the trees were same height regardless of type, I think they were different in the original.
*the platform was at y0 so it was right on the water.
*the water and lava behaved oddly, as I was not able to grief up a lava mountain proper.
*the dirt randomly fell like sand in some spots

When I completed the level I wanted to muck about on the previous level and make a ladder up to the 2nd level, which had me dig through the base of level 2.

This was foolish on my part as the lava poured out and got me good. I enabled fly right after this to take the picture of grief. HAHA!

More testing to do and I will make video showing progress.

Thank you guys for all the work you had put into this, I believe it should be a part of minetest as a subgame.
Attachments
screenshot_179245875.png
screenshot_179245875.png (349.67 KiB) Viewed 1574 times