[Mod] Immersive Sounds [.36] [ambience]

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

@Pilz: adding the gasp of air when the user comes to the surface after being under the water was sheer brilliance. Really makes it seem so much more real.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

No clue, but un-comment the lines.

LUA has VERY strange syntax, C++ is far simpler; it gives away the problem....most of the time.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Neuromancer wrote:One thing I've been trying to do is to reuse sounds in multiple environments/tables. For example I have a wind in the trees sound that I wanted to use both day & night normal, and I wanted to reuse the loud normal bluejay, crow, & cardinal in the frequent quiet as well so it sounds like they are in the distance as well. But I'm getting an error when I try to do the following (the commented out lines cause the error):

Code: Select all

local day = {
    handler = {},
    frequency = day_frequency,
    {name="Best Cardinal Bird", length=4, gain=day_volume},
    {name="craw", length=3, gain=day_volume},
    {name="bluejay", length=18, gain=day_volume}
}

local day_frequent = {
    handler = {},
    frequency = day_frequent_frequency,
    {name="robin2", length=16, gain=day_frequent_volume},
    {name="birdsongnl", length=13, gain=day_frequent_volume},
    {name="bird", length=30, gain=day_frequent_volume}--,
--    {name="Best Cardinal Bird", length=4, gain=day_frequent_volume},
--    {name="craw", length=3, gain=day_frequent_volume},
--    {name="bluejay", length=18, gain=day_frequent_volume}
}
I'm thinking that lua is complaining about having the same index, but they are for different tables, so I don't see why lua would complain about that.
The comma is commented out immediately before the three commented lines.

Edit: I highly recommend using an editor that supports syntax highlighting, it makes errors like these much easier to catch.
Last edited by Temperest on Tue Aug 21, 2012 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Temperest wrote: The comma is commented out immediately before the three commented lines.
Edit: I highly recommend using an editor that supports syntax highlighting, it makes errors like these much easier to catch.
Heh, no, I had the comma uncommented there, and was using LuaEdit. The funny thing is that though it gave me a std error 5 times last night, it worked just fine today when I uncommented it. Must have just been a temporary glitch in minetest or the world, and the Lua was just fine. Wierd.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

The music frequency might have been bumped up too much in version .10. Try lowering it from an 8 to a 6 or whatever suits you. Also the 4 new songs make the dowload take a while. I'm wondering if I should break these out into a separate module that you can download as needed. Also, 2 of the new songs are by Jordach, and 2 of them are by someone else. Does anyone know who that might be (before looking at the soundLicences file?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Neuromancer wrote:The music frequency might have been bumped up too much in version .10. Try lowering it from an 8 to a 6 or whatever suits you. Also the 4 new songs make the dowload take a while. I'm wondering if I should break these out into a separate module that you can download as needed. Also, 2 of the new songs are by Jordach, and 2 of them are by someone else. Does anyone know who that might be (before looking at the soundLicences file?
313Hummer was the other artist, Pilz's commit log should say so.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Jordach wrote: 313Hummer was the other artist, Pilz's commit log should say so.
I decided to add 313Hummer's stuff as a tip of the hat to him. I miss his Minetest YouTube videos. He really understood what Minetest was capable of, and conveyed that. His videos were top notch, entertaining and educational. None of the other stuff on youtube comes even close. But mostly his music is just plain good and fits the game.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Aug 22, 2012 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Jordach wrote: 313Hummer was the other artist, Pilz's commit log should say so.
I decided to add 313Hummer's stuff as a tip of the hat to him. I miss his Minetest YouTube videos. He really understood what Minetest was capable of, and conveyed that. His videos were top notch, entertaining and educational. None of the other stuff on youtube comes even close. But mostly his music is just plain good and fits the game.
Yeah; he shouted "I QUIT" in #minetest @ freenode

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Jordach wrote: Yeah; he shouted "I QUIT" in #minetest @ freenode
So is there some bad blood? I sent him a message yesterday asking him if we could use his music, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I thought he loved Minetest but just moved on to writing music. Are you saying he might not like it that we used his songs, or someone else might not like it?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Aug 22, 2012 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

I actually broke down and wrote some lua and added a splash when the player enters water. I challenge the community to out do me. Anyone want to try writing code to add swimming sounds when at the surface and moving through water? Or how about the sound of waves gently sloshing when treading water (holding space bar to be at the surface) but not moving. Alright, I admit, this other stuff is a little bit beyond me right now. I just didn't want to bother Pilz again.

Wait, I've got part of this figured out. Create a new environment/ambiance of treading water. If the top half of my body is in air (pos+1.5=air) and my lower body is in water (pos+.5=water) , and below me (pos-.5) is water, then I am in a new environment treading water and I should play sloshing sound. The only thing I don't know is how to check if I am in this environment and moving. Does anyone know how to check to see if I'm moving or w,a,s, d is being pressed? Then we would play swimming sound.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Hey Pilz,

I'm getting better response by changing "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.5" to "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.0". The splash happens sooner and I think a person is counted as underwater when they are standing in 2 blocks of water. Do you see any problems with going to the 1.0? I tried .5 and that was bad. My legs were in the water and my body was out but I heard bubbles.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Hey Pilz,

I'm getting better response by changing "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.5" to "pos.y = pos.y+ 1.0". The splash happens sooner and I think a person is counted as underwater when they are standing in 2 blocks of water. Do you see any problems with going to the 1.0? I tried .5 and that was bad. My legs were in the water and my body was out but I heard bubbles.
I will make it in a different way (without on_start).
EDIT: Added: https://github.com/PilzAdam/MinetestAmbience
Last edited by PilzAdam on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Argh, the ideas just keep coming:

-To tell you are in the ocean for dolphins, if you are underwater, just check x+20, x-20, z+20, z-20 for water. If there is water in 3 out of 4 of these positions, then you are in the ocean. (already have sounds)

-To tell if you are on a hill for howling wind, check for y> 25 and x+5 for air at the following coords y - 2, y -7, y -12, y -17
Then do the same for, x-5, z+5, z-5. If any of these is true for all y, then you are on a hill. (already have sound)

-To tell if you are in the desert, check to see if you are standing on desert sand or desert rock.

-waterfalls & fountains need to look for a watersource & falling water, but I don't know how to detect this.

Pilz, this is more than I will be able to get to all at once. I know you are working on a lot of mods, but if any of these strike you as something you want to try, let me know so I we don't work on the same thing at the same time.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

PilzAdam wrote: I will make it in a different way (without on_start).
When I stand in one block deep of water without moving, I hear the splash over and over again. However this might be useful for the sloshing water I was talking about when treading water. We need a loud splash 1 time when entering the water, and a gentle slosh when in the water with the top half of you out of the water.

Also you got rid of the quieter frequent birds. Did you not like them? I kind of liked hearing the loud blue jay call and to the quieter one, like they were having a conversation.

EDIT: I found a really good gentle slosh sound for when standing in or treading water. I will upload soon.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
PilzAdam wrote: I will make it in a different way (without on_start).
When I stand in one block deep of water without moving, I hear the splash over and over again. However this might be useful for the sloshing water I was talking about when treading water. We need a loud splash 1 time when entering the water, and a gentle slosh when in the water with the top half of you out of the water.

Also you got rid of the quieter frequent birds. Did you not like them? I kind of liked hearing the loud blue jay call and to the quieter one, like they were having a conversation.
I didnt got rid of them i dont added them in the past.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

PilzAdam wrote: I didnt got rid of them i dont added them in the past.
Are you open to adding the code to make the frequent day to be more distant sounds? It made the bird singing a lot less obnoxious. More of just a quiet background noise.

I added to github:
--Lake_Waves_2* for treading water or standing in water.
--water_swimming_splashing*, for swimming through water
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
PilzAdam wrote: I didnt got rid of them i dont added them in the past.
Are you open to adding the code to make the frequent day to be more distant sounds? It made the bird singing a lot less obnoxios. More of just a quiet background noise.

I added to github:
--Lake_Waves_2* for treading water or standing in water.
--water_swimming_splashing*, for swimming through water
I will add this (all) but i think not today.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

PilzAdam wrote:I will add this (all) but i think not today.
--------------------------------------------
Sounds good.
EDIT:
I was going to add a random factor to how quiet they got.
-add random_volume parameter to night normal, day normal, & cave normal sounds to create feeling of distance. by multiplying by a random .01 to .4. (It would actually vary depending on the environment.)

PewDiePie

by PewDiePie » Post

it doesnt make sounds for me. please help
_Pewdy_
There's A Reason Your Heart Is On The Left Side Because Its not Always Right.
-Wiz Khalifa

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Hmm, to help you we're going to need more information from you. What version was it that you installed? You hear all the other sounds in minetest? What were the exact steps you did to install? What operating system are you running on? Sorry for the 20 questions.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

*Waits for email*

PewDiePie

by PewDiePie » Post

i currently use minetest 0.4.2. i have a windows 7,i download the newest version with all the sounds and i drag it into my mod folder and when i enter the game i hear nothing not even my foot steps when i like walk on sand or dirt. i cant hear anything when i mine stone. nothing. im wondering maybe i did some thing wrong.
_Pewdy_
There's A Reason Your Heart Is On The Left Side Because Its not Always Right.
-Wiz Khalifa

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

0.4.2rc is missing the libraries needed for OpenAL to work properly. It says so in the release notes. That's why it's an RC, not a stable release.

However, you can still get sound by installing OpenAL globally on your system.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

PewDiePie wrote:i currently use minetest 0.4.2. i have a windows 7,i download the newest version with all the sounds and i drag it into my mod folder and when i enter the game i hear nothing not even my foot steps when i like walk on sand or dirt. i cant hear anything when i mine stone. nothing. im wondering maybe i did some thing wrong.
_Pewdy_
Unzip the mod archive.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Temperest wrote:0.4.2rc is missing the libraries needed for OpenAL to work properly. It says so in the release notes. That's why it's an RC, not a stable release.

However, you can still get sound by installing OpenAL globally on your system.
Right. Pewdy, I have always had to intall OpenAL on my machines to get sounds in minetest for Windows. You can get it here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... Items.aspx
-on that web page click on oalinst which will download this
-open the .zip file
-double click oalinst.exe and it will install the general sounds.
-then like Pilz said, you need to unzip the mod as well ambience.zip into your mods\minetest folder. You should wind up with a folder called ambience in your \mods\minetest folder
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 13:26, edited 1 time in total.