[Mod] Jungle Trees [1] [jungletree]

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

Great! I love it! +5
You should take a look at http://www.xorhub.com

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

btw why jungles were removed from the default game?

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

because "they were boring"
Meow.

That is all.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

GloopMaster wrote:because "they were boring"
Strange criteria to discard them. The were buggy, they slowered the map generation, but boring? Who decided it? For popular demand? Exists a way to enable the jungle generation without need of a mod like Jungle Trees?
Last edited by MasterGollum on Fri Nov 02, 2012 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

sky

by sky » Post

Bas080 can you update this mod and use only the default jungletree and default:leaves and i know if default:leaves it will drop default sapling so make it only one new style of leaves please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Are you still working on this and the habitat mods? Hybrid Dog's swamp mod makes use of both of them, so be careful what changes you make.

VastoLorde

by VastoLorde » Post

Man i have a proablem whit int.lua i cant run this pls help me

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What is the error message that you are getting?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VastoLorde

by VastoLorde » Post

ModError: Failed to load and run /home/infocall/.minetest/mods/minetest/jungletree-master/init.lua
Last edited by VastoLorde on Sat Dec 15, 2012 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Need a bit more than that - there will be information telling you why it didn't load. Maybe you need the habitat mod? (see first post) Otherwise, make the error happen again and immediately post the last 10 or 15 lines of debug.txt on a pastebin site and give us the link.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Normally you should rename the mod-maps/folders to the names that are used in the init.lua. I see you use jungletree-master as a map/folder. Renaming it to only jungletree should help.

VanessaE's right about the habitat mod. You need that one too for this jungletree version. The link is in the first post. Rename it to habitat.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

sky wrote:Bas080 can you update this mod and use only the default jungletree and default:leaves and i know if default:leaves it will drop default sapling so make it only one new style of leaves please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is it that you don't like about it? Is it the differing leave colors? You can change the sprites if that's it.

Or don't you like the way you get saplings?

Or using three nodes for the same thing but just for aesthetic purposes?

Let me know sky.
VastoLorde wrote: Man i have a proablem whit int.lua i cant run this pls help me
I hope it's fixed now. I assume it is. Renaming the folders should work. THNX Topywo and VanessaE. ;)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The diffrent colored leaves are great! And I like the trees. The only problem I have with them is that they spawn everywhere. Jungletrees popping up in front of me cause lag and are difficult to fell if they're not in the right location. It would be better if they where specific to one or two biomes. Dense junglegrass of diffrent height between the trees might be nice as well.
A list of my mods can be found here.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What I would prefer to see is that only jungle tree saplings should spawn at mapgen time, and then the trees themselves grow only occasionally from those, in the same manner as if you planted a field of regular apple tree saplings. Perhaps even make them grow in stages, since they are already sort of tiered anyway.

This way the map generator isn't bogged down while the full-size trees are spawning all in one large group.

Jungle Grass should be obtained using my plantlife mod, which uses perlin noise to control where the stuff grows. I use a perlin map seed difference of 133 for jungle grass, so if jungle trees could be limited to the same regions - but within their already-calculated habitats (so two levels of area restriction), you'd get the same effect. Plus I use ABM's to spawn the grass, not the map generator, and it's present in four sizes, so the stuff will grow, die, and re-grow over time.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The new treegen of L-Systems will make bigger normal trees, so if you plan to use that new method of generating trees, you will probably want to make your jungle trees larger as well. However, you will want to tell Hybrid Dog what you are doing before you make any such changes. His swamp mod uses this mod for its trees.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The following Lua code will generate a rudimentary jungle tree using the new L-Systems generator. Make a mod of this code plus the jungle tree leaves textures, then give yourself the tree spawner item and strike the ground with it (with thanks to RealBadAngel for the example for the spawner). Stick to low elevations when testing, there's a bug in the generator that causes the tops to get cut off (it will be fixed soon). I tried to model these after the originals, but I didn't put as much detail into them as they could have had.

Code: Select all

jungle_tree={
        axiom="FFFFFA",
        rules_a="FFFFF[&&-FFBF][&&+FFBF][&&---FFBF][&&+++FFBF]F/A",
        rules_b="[-F][+F]B",
        trunk="default:jungletree",
        leaves="jungletree:leaves_green",
        angle=45,
        iterations=3,
        random_level=1,
        thin_trunks=false,
        fruit_tree=true,
        fruit="jungletree:leaves_yellow"
}

minetest.register_craftitem("treetest:jungletree", {
            description = "Jungle tree spawner",
            inventory_image = "default_stick.png",
        on_use = function(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
                    --print(dump(pointed_thing))
                    if pointed_thing.type == "node" then
                            local pos = pointed_thing.above
                            minetest.env:spawn_tree(pos,jungle_tree)
                    end
            end,
})

local leaves = {"green","yellow","red"}
for color = 1, 3 do
        local leave_name = ":jungletree:leaves_"..leaves[color]
        minetest.register_node(leave_name, {
                description = "Jungle Tree Leaves",
                drawtype = "allfaces_optional",
                tiles = {"jungletree_leaves_"..leaves[color]..".png"},
                paramtype = "light",
                groups = {snappy=3, leafdecay=3, flammable=2},
                drop = {
                        max_items = 1,
                        items = {
                                {
                                        -- player will get sapling with 1/20 chance
                                        items = {'jungletree:sapling'},
                                        rarity = 20,
                                },
                                {
                                        -- player will get leaves only if he get no saplings,
                                        -- this is because max_items is 1
                                        items = {leave_name},
                                }
                        }
                },
                sounds = default.node_sound_leaves_defaults(),
        })
end

Bas080

by Bas080 » Post

I'm not removing or drastically changing habitat mod. I think it is useful. I am however planning on making the jungletree mod use biomess because not every water source should have jungletrees spawn around it, which is the case at the moment.
I most likely need help with getting biomess to work. I need nicely curved shaped jungles and not square ones (satellite view)

For people that don't like all the different types of leaves... VanessaE's example code ^^^ has an array for the types of leaves. It should be easy to give people the option if they want default leaves or alternative ones. Will give some simple instructions on how to do that.

@VanessaE, i will test your code soon. I'm amazed that you figured out the L-system so fast!

EDIT
looks good!
I would however prefer the original tree trunk from the jungletrees. (is that possible in the LUA. I only see "thin_trunks=false,")
Last edited by Bas080 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

if you set thin_trunks = true, trunks and branches will be one node thick, like default trees; I don't remember what the original 0.3.x jungle trees looked like though. Changing the appearance of that trunk of course is easily done by changing the node name used in the "trunk=" line in the tree definition.

You could perhaps set up several alternate tree definitions via a loop and a few tweaks to the axioms/rules (including trunk thickness), and then choose one randomly each time a tree is spawned.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

In all honesty, I do recommend that the jungletree mod ultimately turns into the new jungle biomes. You could make smaller trees that appear exclusively in the jungle biomes that do have 1x1 trunks to go along with the bigger ones.

Have you asked the creator of the snow biomes mod for assistance? That individual's snow biomes work well and generate as quickly and easily as default game biomes do.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

VanessaE wrote:if you set thin_trunks = true, trunks and branches will be one node thick, like default trees; I don't remember what the original 0.3.x jungle trees looked like though. Changing the appearance of that trunk of course is easily done by changing the node name used in the "trunk=" line in the tree definition.

You could perhaps set up several alternate tree definitions via a loop and a few tweaks to the axioms/rules (including trunk thickness), and then choose one randomly each time a tree is spawned.
VanessaE, they were one node thick.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Inocudom wrote: In all honesty, I do recommend that the jungletree mod ultimately turns into the new jungle biomes. You could make smaller trees that appear exclusively in the jungle biomes that do have 1x1 trunks to go along with the bigger ones.
That's a good idea! The small jungle trees could be the younger ones (not fully grown yet) and will make the larger ones even more impressive. And please add dense Junglegrass in the jungle biomes! Including the vines sounds like a good idea as well. They fit well into the jungle but a bit less to apple trees. The rope box is well done and useful.

Maybe Jordan4ibanzez' biome api could also be useful? There ought to be diffrent biomes (in this case: areas where certain types of trees, plants and maybe other nodes appear) that are localized to a limited area (so that it's not only jungle all over the map), don't have as sharp boundaries as the swamp-mod currently has and generate fast. Right now all the diffrent forms of plantlife make mapgeneration so slow that generating new maps with them became almost impossible on my computer. Your habitat mod might be more suited to place nodes inside the boundaries of a habitat? Maybe one mod could pick up random places, assign them to biomes as their center, define a random radius and make sure that nothing overlaps too much? Or whatever...just faster!
A list of my mods can be found here.

Bas080

by Bas080 » Post

It really sucks to hear that the habitat mod is giving PC's and players a hard time... The code is indeed not CPU friendly. I'm sure it can be optimized allot more. Will work at it when done with chess mod ownership feature.

So to sum it up:
1. Improve habitat mod (api thingie).
2. Get biomes working, thnx for the link Sokomine! http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3984
3. Add jungle grass
4. Vines

basicly, MAKE JUNGLETREES MOD INTO JUNGLE BIOME! EPIC!!!

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

Bas080 wrote:It really sucks to hear that the habitat mod is giving PC's and players a hard time... The code is indeed not CPU friendly. I'm sure it can be optimized allot more. Will work at it when done with chess mod ownership feature.

So to sum it up:
1. Improve habitat mod (api thingie).
2. Get biomes working, thnx for the link Sokomine! http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3984
3. Add jungle grass
4. Vines

basicly, MAKE JUNGLETREES MOD INTO JUNGLE BIOME! EPIC!!!
i suggest wait for mapgen v7

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

It might be a while before mapgen v7 is out (could be at least a month.) It could be worthwhile applying the new jungle trees to the version of the jungletree mod that causes them to appear like flowers. This can allow for some early testing of your new jungle tree types (I recommend one type based on your style of jungle tree and another type based on what jungle trees used to look like when they were part of minetest, though you can also add a third type that stands very tall and is bigger than any of the new default trees of L-System's treegen.)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

How is progress on this as of late? Are there any new trees that can potentially be tested?