[Mod] DarkAge [0.4] [darkage]

MasterGollum

[Mod] DarkAge [0.4] [darkage]

by MasterGollum » Post

This mod adds a few new blocks that allows to create new buildings in a pre industrial landscape. Of course, feel free to use them in any other construction :P

It also provides more layers of stones. I tried not to turn mining in a rainbow, so don't expect to find them easily. There are two kinds of materials, stones, that spawns in layers at different deep and clay like materials (silt and mud) that you will find in water places. Silt and Mud are more easy to find than stone layers, but if you find one it will be a real mine, with all probability with hundreds of blocks.

I used mainly 4 square recipes to avoid collisions with other MODs, anyway I have not checked all them, so it is possible that another person is already using one or more of this combinations.

About Deserts:
I have been adding new stuff to the deserts, some MODs already does some of them.
It adds more some crafts and also iron to the Desert Stones, only iron, not coal (I speculated that Desert Stones are red because they are rich in iron). It will not crowd them with iron, but if you don't want it I can tell you how to remove the lines that does it. It is really easy.

About layer generation
Someone told me to release this functionality as a separated MOD, at the end I opted to include it as a single MOD but I structured it in a way that is really, really easy to remove this option, just read the tunning section. The map generation will not turn your map in a rainbow. I'm not sure if they are too hard to find, so maybe I will change the frequency in futures releases, I'm still testing them.

Stones spawn under earth. Don't expect to find them easily. In fact I suggest not to search them, just do your regular digging for your ores and they would have to top up from time to time. They spawn at different deep in function of the level of metamorphosis. More longer is their process of generation, more deeper they are found.

Clay like stratum are more easy to find (Mud and Silt) maybe too easy, they spawn in water in a similar way that clay does. Silt doesn't require sand, just regular dirt and water. Just scan the coast and they will be there.

Mosts of the stones can be crafted from default or cooking them. One time I find a good generation equilibrium I will remove this recipes and move to an optional file. Currently the only stone that can't be craft from default is Chalk. You can access to it in his stratum or in the creative inventory or with the /giveme command.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87735827@N ... hotostream

License: WTFPL.

Depends: default

Download: https://github.com/MasterGollum/darkage/zipball/master

Wiki: http://darkage.wikia.com/wiki/About

Recipes: Check the wiki for them ;)

Releases:
DarkAge 0.4 - 33 nodes + 3 craft items
Changes in layer generation
Reinforcement blocks, lamp, marble and serpentine
DarkAge 0.3 - 28 nodes + 3 craft items
Layer generation
Furnitures
DarkAge 0.2 - 13 nodes + 2 craft items
DarkAge 0.1 - 6 nodes

Tunning:
Comments the following lines to remove what you don't like:
(To comment them just add -- at the beginning of their lines)

Stone Layers
dofile(minetest.get_modpath("darkage").."/mapgen.lua")
The stones will not spawn in the map.

Furniture Nodes
dofile(minetest.get_modpath("darkage").."/furniture.lua")
Only pure stones will be provided.

Stairs
dofile(minetest.get_modpath("darkage").."/stairs.lua")
I will add more stairs, now only Slate Tales and Straw have stairs and slabs.

Variant Version by addi:
https://github.com/adrido/darkage/zipball/master

Features:
  • compatibility with stairsplus added
  • added new item iron_stick
  • added craft reziep for iron stick
  • changed reziep of iron_bars to avoid conflicts with ironbars mod
  • changed reziep of chain to avoid conflicts with 3d furniture mod
  • changed reziep of darkage:stonebrick to avoid conflicts with moreblocks
  • dissabled marble_tile to avoid the message "texture not found"
  • added compatibililty with stairsplus (now its moreblocks)
  • added darkage:glass a nice looking glass that must be in this mod Image
  • added darkage:glow_glass the same glass this only is glowing
  • changed the sound_node_leaves_default to wood_default from box and wooden shelfes
  • added craft reziep for darkage:chalk
  • improved the textures of reinforced wood and chalk to save a bit more loadtime on servers
  • added another reziep for darkage straw (this can be crafted now, if farming is installed, with farming:harvested_weed
and the todo for the near future:
  • remove darkage:sandstone_brick (because this will be in the default game)
  • remove darkage:desertstone brick (this will be in default too)
  • create an alias for darkage desertsone to avoid unknown blocks
  • create an alias for darkage sandstone_brick to avoid unknown blocks too
Last edited by MasterGollum on Mon May 13, 2013 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

neat :)

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Mito551 wrote:neat :)
thank you :) I know it is a very simple MOD that doesn't do anything special. I will like to add the stones as stratum like the Desert Stones does under the Desert Sand, when I feel ready to add more advanced stuff that just add new crafts :P Anyway next step will be add the stairs and slabs.

I started to experiment with the generate_ore turned it in a generate_stratus, but for now it just creates a giant rectangle of stone under earth :P I will try to shape the surface and make it more irregular. My idea is to do several stratus of different stones, so in this way we don't to have ever that grey color under earth. If an ore is found then the ore is changed from regular stone to the stone is being created. Maybe some kind of stones also give more easily some kinds of ores. In red stones right in iron, it is more easy to find the iron lumbs, but less coal, and so on.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

I like the dark age building materials, nice textures. Stone layers idea sounds fun. I do however advice you to make a different mod for that. Not everyone that wants to build dark ages wants to have different layers stone. I like your crafts too as they depend on existing nodes of the default mod and are not to hard to memorize as they make sense. Flags mod would go well with the castles you can build with this mod.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Bas080 wrote:I like the dark age building materials, nice textures. I like your crafts too as they depend on existing nodes of the default mod and are not to hard to memorize as they make sense.
Thank you so much, I used the default textures as base for my own as well as real stone pics. The idea was extend the default nodes, I think they still give a lot of possibilities. I tried to make the crafts logical according the ones that already exists in Minetest :)
Bas080 wrote:Stone layers idea sounds fun. I do however advice you to make a different mod for that. Not everyone that wants to build dark ages wants to have different layers stone.
I have been tunning the generate_ore into a generate_stratum function that creates layers of stones, this is what came out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87735827@N ... 642719266/

It is just the preliminar version, I'm still working on it, but seems to be pretty fast with no added lag. And the shape starts to be interesting. The main difference with ores, they can be really huge, from 100 to more than 1500 nodes. They stay attached as a compact mass, but they extend more in horizontal than vertica. As the stones can only be used for building I think it is fine to find them in large number. Anyway it cost me the hell to find this layer in the map I was generating :P I had to use the xray mod that messed up all my map lol I had to refill with stone to take the screenshots.

Sure, I can create this functionality as an addon to the DarkAge.

Oh and thanks for make me notice the flag mod :) Maybe we will need a historic flag mod!
Last edited by MasterGollum on Fri Sep 28, 2012 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Alfino

by Alfino » Post

MasterGollum wrote:The main difference with ores, they can be really huge, from 100 to more than 1500 nodes. They stay attached as a compact mass, but they extend more in horizontal than vertica.
Realtest have same properties as the ores shape you want.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Alfino wrote:
MasterGollum wrote:The main difference with ores, they can be really huge, from 100 to more than 1500 nodes. They stay attached as a compact mass, but they extend more in horizontal than vertica.
Realtest have same properties as the ores shape you want.
Thank you, I will take a look to their algoritm, what I'm also trying to do is that it follows the shape of the surface, something like this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gWxMrdOyKaU/T ... austto.jpg

Here some real pictures:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Nrg-RATVguI/U ... C_0453.JPG
http://explorock.files.wordpress.com/20 ... mplona.jpg

I'm not sure if I can post the pictures so I leave them as links.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I prefer small regions (less than 10) of ores myself, but I LOVE the idea of the layers of stone/earth. +10
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Post

That's actually really cool :D I can't wait to see some more mods from you
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Thank you VanessaE and irksomeduck :) Yes I think nobody else has tried it before, to do layers of stones, I hope I manage to do anything useful :P The testing is the most complicated, because I need to dig a lot to find the layers lol

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

actually, i think there is a simple way to do what you're trying to do. if you mind me telling it out in the open, pm me :)

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Oh feel free to commend it openly :)

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

i think, you can just use ore code. as is. just change the size of an ore 'patch'. this wouldn't create flat layers

Code: Select all

g-g-g-g-g-
s-s-s-s-s-s-
gr-gr-gr-gr-gr
ds-ds-ds-ds-ds
etc.
but that would create realistic patches of different kind of stone and materials generally.

g-g-g-g-g-
gr-gr-s-s-s-s-gr-
gr-gr-gr-s-ds-gr-gr
gr-ds-ds-gr-ds-gr-gr 
etc.
what do you think?
do you follow? do you agree?

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

I'm not sure if I follow you, do you mean to have patches of mixed types of stones? what I'm doing is something like this:

First I calculate the Y axis searching air or water then I move down until find stone. So in this way I find the earth surface, seaground or a cove ground. Then I calculate a random square XxYxZ. X and Z can have huge values, but Y is less high to do a flat rectangle. I do a triple for, at every interaction I add a small noise to don't do it perfect. Something like this:

local rx=pr:next(radius/2,radius)
        local rz=pr:next(radius/2,radius)
        local ry=pr:next(radius_y/2,radius_y)
        for x1=0,rx do
          rz = rz + 3 - pr:next(1,6)
          if rz < 1 then 
            rz = 1
          end
          for z1=pr:next(1,3),rz do
            local ry0=ry+ pr:next(1,3)
            for y1=pr:next(1,3),ry0 do
              local x2 = x0+x1
              local y2 = y0+y1
              local z2 = z0+z1
              local p2 = {x=x2, y=y2, z=z2}
              n = minetest.env:get_node(p2).name
              if n == wherein then
                minetest.env:set_node(p2, {name=name})
                i = i +1
              end
            end
          end
        end
It is working fine, the shape is nice. Now I have to introduce only a vertical oscillation to follow the shape of the terrain.
Last edited by MasterGollum on Fri Sep 28, 2012 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Ok new release is almost ready, probably tomorrow will be here. It will include: Silt (Sand + Clay), Mud (Silt+Dirt+Clay) and the metamorphosis of Mud until Gneiss so Mud --> Shale --> Slate --> Schist --> Gneiss (throw cooking), Silt and Mud will include Lumps and Schist and Gneiss Cobble versions. Mud will be useful for prepare Mudbricks and I can prepare also Adobe and Cob, even if someone has already done the Adobe, but well another recipe here. It is all ready but the textures still don't convince me, I have to work a little more on them.

GJH105775

by GJH105775 » Post

Nice mod, I believe that you put work into it. +1.
Last edited by GJH105775 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my mod xtrablocks, has some different types of marble that you can build with or mine at different depths

I am not here regularly as I just kind of pop in and out. If you want to find me I'll be on quadcopterforum.com helping with multirotor builds and spending other's money haha.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/ ... hicons.jpg

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

I added a lot of new textures, I also released it with several new features.

Warning: it add stone and clay like layers! The layer generation is alpha mode, I didn't crash, but who knows...
If you don't want them, just read the main topic to remove them.

Here some of the new textures in action (Box, Slate Tales, Slate Tale Stairs, Wood Frame and Straw Bale)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87735827@N ... hotostream

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Like it has enough blocks and I have tons of new ideas for new blocks I decided to create a wiki for my MOD.
It's far from be complete but I will be adding all the blocks and crafts I created to it.
http://darkage.wikia.com/wiki/About

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Post

Wow. With this it might be possible to bring some of the excessive amount of stone types Dwarf Fortress have. It has 24 different not counting ores or crystals.

Are the layers full of the stone type? say I have a layer at -200 so from them on until the next it will always be stone B instead of stone A?

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

NakedFury wrote:Wow. With this it might be possible to bring some of the excessive amount of stone types Dwarf Fortress have. It has 24 different not counting ores or crystals.

Are the layers full of the stone type? say I have a layer at -200 so from them on until the next it will always be stone B instead of stone A?
No layers do not cover all the map, I tried to do them as happens in reality. Take a look to the pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/87735827@N ... 642719266/, basically the difference with ores, it's that stones are really huge masses of material. My tests is that they are easily over 1.000 blocks, but you can also have bad luck and just find only a few blocks. I wanted to bring the concept of mine, stones are not frequent, but once you find them in this place you really have a mine. The layer generator is in alpha stage, the frequency of generation, deep or shape can change in future releases.

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Post

Thanks for clarifying that.

To tell the truth I thought that they worked as a lasagna. Layer upon layer upon layer of different rocks. But that way it would quickly make them too common.

Im gonna have to test it out some more, im liking it more and more as time passes.

I have to ask, can there be the possibility of several generating together? Like it happens with regular ore generation, creating the rainbow effect or did you place a radius around each layer so there cant be another type running next to it?

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

NakedFury wrote:Thanks for clarifying that.

To tell the truth I thought that they worked as a lasagna. Layer upon layer upon layer of different rocks. But that way it would quickly make them too common.

Im gonna have to test it out some more, im liking it more and more as time passes.

I have to ask, can there be the possibility of several generating together? Like it happens with regular ore generation, creating the rainbow effect or did you place a radius around each layer so there cant be another type running next to it?
First, thank you so much for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

In fact a localized lasagna is possible (but not very common), in my tests the map generation works in cubes of 80x80x80, in every of this cubes are generated about 3 to 5 layers, can be less, can be more (it doesn't mean that they will be together 80x80x80 is a huge area). It is very random, but I have to work more in this generation process I'm still not completely convinced.

If you take a look to the picture with the chalk it can't be appreciate a lot, but in the water you can see the lasagna effect with layers of dirt, mud and silt. It is not strange in the clay like layers, they can spawn together easily than stones because of the shallow condition. I did them with intention at different deeps.

I'm not sure how much complexity I can add to the map generation without penalize it, but to help to form this lasagnas can be funny. For example that some kind of stones use to spawn together.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

thank you for your mod! it brings dwarfish outlook to my dwarves game, i think :)

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Mito551 wrote:thank you for your mod! it brings dwarfish outlook to my dwarves game, i think :)
Thank you to you for use it :) I think so, it fits with the dwarfish theme!

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

to be honest, i don't like your textures (like the half of the defaults :P), so i'll try to make realistish (somewhat realistic) textures for dwarves.