[Mod] DarkAge [0.4] [darkage]

Shire

by Shire » Post

For some strange reason, the marble tile texture isn't showing up. Instead, I get a randomly coloured block.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Shire wrote:For some strange reason, the marble tile texture isn't showing up. Instead, I get a randomly coloured block.
You can copy darkage_marble_tile.png from the textures32 folder and add it to the textures folder.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Any new developments concerning this mod?

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

i have some ideas that may be added. ;-)

next week i have holiday. maybe than i find a bit time to add something.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

addi wrote:i have some ideas that may be added. ;-)

next week i have holiday. maybe than i find a bit time to add something.
Do you know about the mod linked to below?
viewtopic.php?id=7159
It and darkage go well together.
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Sep 10, 2013 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

:) [flattered] thanks! [/flattered]

I intend to add some of this mod and cottages onto the castle+ mod with me and Dan Duncombe.

addi

by addi » Post

philipbenr wrote::) [flattered] thanks! [/flattered]

I intend to add some of this mod and cottages onto the castle+ mod with me and Dan Duncombe.
please dont mix up the code!

i dont like it if some mods have the same texture and function but diffrent names.
it might confuse the user.

its alredy discussed here: viewtopic.php?id=7163

maybe you can do somethings like this:

Code: Select all

if minetest.get_modpath('darkage') then
minetest.register_alias(castle:strawbale,darkage:strawbale)
//register some alias and use this to avoid unknown blocks
else
minetest.register_node(castle:strawbale,...)...
//register the node itself
end
so you have an optional dependencie that registers aliases if darkage installed and it registeres iit nodes itself, if its not installed.

or may we could make a (eg. medieval_basic) mod wich contains some basic nodes wich all other mods (castles, cottages and darkage) depends on them.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I did read that, and I intend to register aliases.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Is there anything going on with this mod? Not many posts lately.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It's still a great mod for building. Wish it would be on more servers. The King Arthur's Land server makes extensive use of the mod and is always woth a visit for all those who like good buildings.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The Minerealms server uses this mod too.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

I have been away for a lot of time because OpenGL stopped to work in my computer, a few days ago I solved it (yeah, I took me forever :P) So I opened my old Minetest and updated to the latest version discovering tons of new changes and features in the game. I will review Dark Age to fit better the new situation of the game.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

MasterGollum wrote:I have been away for a lot of time because OpenGL stopped to work in my computer, a few days ago I solved it (yeah, I took me forever :P) So I opened my old Minetest and updated to the latest version discovering tons of new changes and features in the game. I will review Dark Age to fit better the new situation of the game.
I see addi already did that :P well I will take a look to his work before start to do anything new =D

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Welcome back, MasterGollum. I saw Cornernote in the forums recently as well. Now, if only redcrab came back...

addi

by addi » Post

hey! nice to see you back :)
as far i know i have not changed much things,because i had not much time in the last year.

but the
desert_stone_cobble and
sandstone cobble is now in default game.
also i changed 1 or 2 craft rezieps, because they confliced with other mods

also there is now a "LuaVoxelManipulator" in the engine wich may generates a bit faster than your way.
also there is a function minetest.register_ore() that can be used to generate the iron ore in the desert.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Good to see you back, MasterGollum!
addi wrote: also there is a function minetest.register_ore() that can be used to generate the iron ore in the desert
That function might lead to a significant speedup regarding ore generation. Not only for the iron ore but also for the non-ores (stratus, claylike). To my knowledge, the function offers parameters that might cover those situations. Please explore that :-) LuaVoxelManipulator is also great but may not be necessary here. The new ore generation routines ought to be good enough.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Thank you for the tips and the welcome, I will look at that. I have been playing a little with nodeboxes, so maybe I will include some new nodes for middle age themed furniture.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MasterGollum wrote: maybe I will include some new nodes for middle age themed furniture.
New furniture is always good to have :-) Take a look at my cottages mod. It already comes with some furniture, but there's certainly room for more :-) The anvil from realtest might look fine in a medieval environment as well.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Sokomine wrote: New furniture is always good to have :-) Take a look at my cottages mod. It already comes with some furniture, but there's certainly room for more :-) The anvil from realtest might look fine in a medieval environment as well.
wow that's very nice what you did there. You read my mind and implemented it before I even thought about that lol. As Inocudom pointed we have the straw bale duplicated, I like the suggestion of merge them. Maybe as an extension of Dark Age with some textures more "medieval" (for example the bed), that can be turned off easily so people can choose if to use cottage mod as you designed it (with or without Dark Age) or the medieval version of cottage just inside the Dark Age mod itself. What do you think?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hmpf. Typed a long message, included some links, and accidently clicked on a link.

The straw (and the straw bale) is indeed a copy of your darkage mod. I sent you a mail back then and asked you for permission :-) You just got to *have* a straw bale in a Minetest world - else it would be incomplete :-)

I didn't eliminiate/alias the straw nodes before (even though it was requested by some server owners) because that would at that time have interfered with my random_buildings and later my villages mod - those spawn houses that use nodes from cottages, and if the nodes are just aliasses to another mod, that gets more complicated.

If you have any better textures for the nodes or can create them or even add more furniture please do so! We can certainly have more than one bed. And the King Arthurs Land server will certainly enjoy more medieval nodes. I'm very bad at creating textures and have to rely on other people creating them for me. I'm curious as to how your nodes will look like :-)

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

Indeed I don't have any problem that you used the texture I created or you decided to supply new node versions for the straw bales, I like a lot what you did. I understand that Dark Age is a "huge" mod that supplies several nodes and functionalities that many people don't want. cottages is consistent as it is, it supplies all the nodes it needs without add dependences to other mods. Can they be used together as they are now? Yes, of course. Should be used together? not so sure, they will create duplicate nodes with craft recipes not consistent between them, for example the way you decided to craft the stairs. I absolutly will use your mod in my server, but I will do some changes to fit my personal tastes. I can share that version with the community or keep it private if you dislike the idea of see your nodes shared in a new different version. I absolutly don't intent to take ownership of your work, just to add them slightly modified and explain what I did and from where that nodes come from.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Craft receipes only exist so that the nodes can actually be crafted. Cottages was created in order to have nodes for building small, medieval/simple structured houses for the lumberjacks and village inhabitants (once they show up..). If you have better ideas for crafting receipes, that ought to be no problem. I'd love to let "inhabitants" "sell"/trade the furniture nodes to players anyway :-)

Please do what you have in mind and then let's see how to best combine or otherwise handle it.

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

Rather than having people modify the code, you should add minetest.conf settings.
For example:

Code: Select all

if minetest.setting_getbool("darkage.enable_mapgen") then
    dofile(modpath.."/mapgen.lua")
end
And then you can just set darkage.enable_mapgen in minetest.conf.
You should also cache the modpath, just call minetest.get_modpath("darkage") once and store it in a local variable named modpath.

Also: I beleive that you are required to have a link to the actual GitHub page, not just to the archive if you use GitHub. And if not I would appreciate if you added one. :-)

Aditionally you use legacy generation methods that are very slow. You should use minetest.register_ore and the LuaVoxelManip if there are any ore types that it doesn't provide.
Last edited by ShadowNinja on Fri Jan 10, 2014 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

MasterGollum

by MasterGollum » Post

ShadowNinja wrote:Aditionally you use legacy generation methods that are very slow. You should use minetest.register_ore and the LuaVoxelManip if there are any ore types that it doesn't provide.
Thank you for the tips, btw what is the LuaVoxelManip!? :P Because the documentation I found it's let's say scarce http://koti.kapsi.fi/~nawulf/code/minetest/2013-09-12_doxygen/classLuaVoxelManip.html

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

MasterGollum wrote:
ShadowNinja wrote:Aditionally you use legacy generation methods that are very slow. You should use minetest.register_ore and the LuaVoxelManip if there are any ore types that it doesn't provide.
Thank you for the tips, btw what is the LuaVoxelManip!? :P Because the documentation I found it's let's say scarce http://koti.kapsi.fi/~nawulf/code/minetest/2013-09-12_doxygen/classLuaVoxelManip.html
New method for manipulating nodes, introduced by hmmmm(mmmm?) in 0.4.7. Reduces node manip and loading time from 20+ seconds to 1-5 seconds. Also, makes calling nodes easier.
Last edited by hoodedice on Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build