[Mod] Towntest [towntest] - Grow a town in minetest.

BZab

by BZab » Post

i think in mod's folder somewhere was subfolder for buildings in .we (worldedit) format
Ya need to put .we file in it (if ya use world edit, in game save region, then in world's folder look for: schems -> *your buildings name*.we) and copy it into towntest

socramazibi

by socramazibi » Post

Code: Select all

\minetest-0.4.4-d1-30b9a4d-win32\mods\minetest\towntest
\minetest-0.4.4-d1-30b9a4d-win32\mods\minetest\towntest_chest
\minetest-0.4.4-d1-30b9a4d-win32\mods\minetest\towntest_npc (home here in file *.we)
Forgive my English, but it is the translator of google.My Spanish.
My mod:
Pictures wool 1.0 3x5 , Charcoal+Textures , Map

BenAmaranth

by BenAmaranth » Post

Thanks guys! I love this mod!
Air (you hacker you!)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

could someone update this mod to have a 3d model make the buildings?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A 3d builder would be a great thing. With the new mobs out there (peaceful_npc and trader from mobf) this ought to work. I'm just afraid they usually won't be able to "fly" to their locations? Also the sorting of the nodes hasn't been done yet so it is only useful for small buildings.
A list of my mods can be found here.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

it would work because all we have to do is replace the testure with a model and make a moving animation and a standing still animation.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

lenkman1

by lenkman1 » Post

How do i get it to work, chest won't open

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

lenkman1 wrote:How do i get it to work, chest won't open
Please don't bump old topics.
Back from the dead!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

To my knowledge, the mod still works. If a chest does not open, it sometimes helps to wait a few seconds after placing it.

In a way, the NPC framework mod may eventually offer something similar to towntest.

freejack

by freejack » Post

Why does this mod randomly put chests around a village that mapgen spawns? I turned it off due to this. I didn't want it out there for users to run across. Also the NPC does not show 3d with textures just an orange guy flat.......

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

I am very sorry Freejack, but this mod is very full of problems since its development is suspended for a long time. Try another mod.
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Try Nore's "mg" mod.
Back from the dead!

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Yeah, its been ages and ages without development. I see there are some other mods that took off there this one left off.

Eg:
[Modpack] NPC Framework [minetest-npcf] [WIP]

If anyone has any other resources please post them and I will update the mod homepage with links to the newer versions.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

freejack wrote: Why does this mod randomly put chests around a village that mapgen spawns? I turned it off due to this. I didn't want it out there for users to run across. Also the NPC does not show 3d with textures just an orange guy flat.......
The mod places those chests randomly on the map. Change towntest_chest/init.lua by disabling/removing the function minetest.register_on_generated if you don't want that.
I changed something else in my local version to get the 3d version of towntest. Setting "3dmodels = true" in your minetest.conf might work. The 3dbuilder looks a bit like a vombie.
cornernote wrote: Yeah, its been ages and ages without development. I see there are some other mods that took off there this one left off.
Glad to see you back! I still let these towntest-chests of yours spawn in my worlds (the poor builders seldom get the materials they want...they patiently continue waiting :-)).

The builder from the npcf-framework indeed seems to be a more modern version of your mod.

My own random_buildings mod will eventually contain something like a build chest as well. I decided against manually building mobs because I hope that the mod can eventually be used on servers. Moretree-trees are huge monsters - very nice trees, but not intended for cutting down - and obtaining their wood is too difficult. The lumberjacks might be willing to sell...if they get help in building a hut (mese axes are popular). At least that's what I'm currently working on.
Last edited by Sokomine on Fri Jan 17, 2014 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

truthfoot

by truthfoot » Post

Hi Guys , love this game . But for some reason I can't get this towntest mod to work in 4.9 . I do have other mods in that do work so I know it's in the right folder . I even tried to separate towntest, towntest_chest and towntest_npc from minetest-towntest-master. Only the towntest_chest will not load . Edited from Debug == ERROR FROM LUA == Failed to load and run script from ==.\mods\towntest_chest\init.lua:== ERROR[main]: ...0.4.9\minetest-0.4.9\bin\..\mods\towntest_chest\init.lua:26: invalid escape sequence near '''
Any one have a fix. Sorry if I've missed something in the previous post.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Change line 26 in towntest_chest/init.lua from...

os.execute('\ls -a "'..modpath..'/buildings/" | grep .we > "'..modpath..'/buildings/_buildings"') -- linux/mac
to this:

os.execute('ls -a "'..modpath..'/buildings/" | grep .we > "'..modpath..'/buildings/_buildings"') -- linux/mac
Perhaps Cornernote can fix this small typing error.

I also changed line 14 in towntest_npc/init.lua so that it always uses the 3d builder (regardless of the setting):

if true or minetest.setting_getbool("3d_models") then

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Git repo updated

fixed the ls bug
always use 3d model

Thanks Sokomine!

truthfoot

by truthfoot » Post

Yes thanks for the fix, it is working.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

cornernote wrote: Git repo updated
That's great, thank you!

Perhaps you might also consider switching the 3d model to a "real" animated "player" model like in npcf. That nodebox guy looks a bit strange nowerdays :-) He's a bit similar to the aggressive vombie from mobf...

michaelRmt

by michaelRmt » Post

I'm looking over the mod now - I'd like to have the builder show me the outline of the future building so I can tweak oritientation and placement before building.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

michaelRmt wrote: I'm looking over the mod now - I'd like to have the builder show me the outline of the future building so I can tweak oritientation and placement before building.
My random_buildings mod does have a build chest (just no crafting receipe for it). It does not have a builder and is not able to build block-by-block. Build steps work in such a way that all blocks of one type are placed in one step (i.e. one step is tree blocks - next cobble - next glass - etc.). The first step is to place the building with every future block beeing replaced by some form of scafolding. That way, you can see very early if the rotation is appropriate. Perhaps that might help those mods that use actual mobs to build as well.

billysees

by billysees » Post

Awesomely fun Mod, except the guy's head is on backwards.

billysees

by billysees » Post

Great Mod, except the guy's head is on backwards.

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Post

Hello

Everytime I try to open the towntest_chest:chest i´ve just placed I get the following error

22:49:21: ERROR[main]: ServerError: /home/ruehmann/.minetest/mods/towntest_chest/init.lua:36: bad argument #1 to '(for generator)' (FILE* expected, got nil)
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function '(for generator)'
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: /home/ruehmann/.minetest/mods/towntest_chest/init.lua:36: in function 'get_files'
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: /home/ruehmann/.minetest/mods/towntest_chest/init.lua:266: in function 'formspec'
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: /home/ruehmann/.minetest/mods/towntest_chest/init.lua:304: in function </home/ruehmann/.minetest/mods/towntest_chest/init.lua:297>
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'add_node'
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/item.lua:276: in function </usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/item.lua:191>
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'add_node'
22:49:21: ERROR[main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/item.lua:276: in function </usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/item.lua:191>

Can anyone help me?
thanks,
JPR

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Hi JPR,

I will need your help to debug this further. I have created an issue on GitHub that you can reply to:
https://github.com/cornernote/minetest- ... t/issues/1