[Mod] Specialties [3.5] [specialties]

ashenk69

[Mod] Specialties [3.5] [specialties]

by ashenk69 » Post

Specialties adds just what the name implies, specialties. When you complete a task like mining stone with a pickaxe you gain a point of XP towards mining. You can then spend those points towards healing your pick or upgrading it to a better one. I don't want to make this like enchanting weapons because it is stupid boring and already done so I am trying to add things that are useful to playing the game.

Compatible with Inventory_Plus

Chat Command:
  • /spec - Opens menu shown in picture below. This is where you will purchase skills and can view your current XP.
Current Specialties:
  • Miner - XP gain from mining with a pickaxe
  • Lumberjack - XP gain from chopping with an axe
  • Digger - XP gain from digging with a shovel
  • Farmer - XP gain from harvesting farming crops
  • Builder - XP gain from placing blocks
Current Skills:
  • Heal[ALL TOOLS] - Repairs tool for a certain amount.
  • Upgrade[ALL TOOLS] - Upgrades tool to one higher metal tier.
  • Superheat[AXE, PICKAXE, SHOVEL] - When a node is dug it returns the cooking result instead of the normal drop. If there is not a cooking result than the normal drop will occur.
  • Greenthumb[HOE] - Now a crop can be dug with a hoe and it'll only remove it if it is at the highest tier.
  • Feller[AXE](new) - Similar to Techic's chainsaw, when the bottom tree node is dug it removes all the nodes in the trunk.
Condenser:
  • Designed like the Equivalent Exchange energy condenser. This converts one type of node or item into another. Currently the condenser is flawless meaning there is no energy loss but I will add in a small random loss every time a conversion occurs so it doesn't feel too OP. Also, not all items and nodes work in the system. Don't worry that won't crash your game. I'm working on the conversion amounts for each node and item.
  • Recipe(picture coming soon)
    O = Obsidian
    m = Mese Crystal
    D = Diamond Block
    |O|O|O|
    |m|D|m|
    |O|O|O|
License: WTFPL

Download: https://github.com/metalstache/specialt ... master.zip
GitHub: https://github.com/metalstache/specialties

*Warning* If you aren't able to add an ability(ie superheat) to a tool, it is most likely because the tool is not registered with the system. Exit the game, open the "depends.txt" file in the specialties folder and add the mods name of the tool you were trying to add the ability to. Retry it and if it still doesn't work than bring it up so I can look into it.

*Warning* If Superheat does not drop the cooking result for a node, then reload the world. This should fix the issue.

Screenshot illustrating the new super heat effect

[3.0]
Added Farmer specialty
Fixed specialty tools not upgrading
Moved code into multiple files
Added that mods can now register their tools in the tables by calling specialties.healingamount(toolname) and specialties.upgradetree(toolname higher than current)
[3.1]
Fixed issue with drop handler for null digger
[3.2]
Removed dependence to Inventory Plus
Added chat command /spec to open menu
Fixed Technic compatibility issue
Fixed item entities having flame texture on them
Superheat and Green Thumb textures are now 16x16
Updated farming code to current default style
[3.3]
Fixed typo with Technic compatibility
Cleaned up file management
Added feller skill
Added item pickup option
Fixed item drop to work properly
[3.4]
Added XP display in Bottom Left of HUD
[3.5]
Miscellaneous code fixes and cleanup
Added condenser node

Future Updates:
Add more skills to each specialty
Add EE like skills to builder (in progress)
Last edited by ashenk69 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Hey ashenk69,

Nice mod! Welcome back.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

+5
Great idea/work!
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

10:38:54: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ...win32\bin\..\games\dwarves\mods\specialties\init.lua:84: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)
10:38:54: VERBOSE[main]: stack traceback:

please help?

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

I am not sure why it would be having an error problem. The line that it says that it is having an issue with doesn't even have the variable file on it. It is in a totally different function. What other mods do you have installed? Sometimes they can communicate strangely.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

well...
3dforniture
ambience
mobf(animals)
armor
bags
biggerchests
bones
builtin_item
carts
conifires
clean
creative
creative_inventory
deathsound
defaultgrow
drippingwater
drowning
dwarves
farming (steel, iron, wood, stone hoes)
fire (revised by PilzAdam, if i'm not mistaken)
flowers
food
gates
growing
growing_trees
growing_cactus
gunmod
hatches
home_gui
inventory_plus
item_drop
lava_and_water
locked_furnace
locked_sign
mesecons (crafted with copper ingot from moreores)
money
moreores
nuke
papyrus_bed
particles
pipeworks
plantaging
potions
raft (quite convinient way of travel, if you get sick riding carts ;) )
snow
stairs
stairsplus
suffocating
throwing
tree_plus (realtest pack)
villages
walking_light
workbench
worldedit (+gui)
worldtime
xbar
xdoor2
xladders
xfences
xpanes
...full list it is. but i tried running it on vanilla, just inv_plus and this mod and still gave me the same error. i myself don't understand why it doesn't work.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Actually after I think about it if it is having an issue of accessing the files it is because it only adds the files if a new player joins the game. Are you trying this on a new map or one that you've already played on?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

this error was on old map. it's okay on a new map. just see if you can fix the old map issue then. thank you for your help and this awesomest mod! i'm including it in dwarves with support of my tools
Last edited by Mito551 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

I'll adjust the system to check if the file is created so if you install it on an old map it still works. Thanks for adding it to your Dwarves game. If you are having issues with a spike in frame drops every once in a while, I have an autosave feature where every 10 seconds it commits your xp to the files. Changing it is pretty easy, if you have issues with it.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Well that was a pretty easy fix so you can either download the new fix in a couple of minutes or you can add in the new code. I tested it by removing specialties, then I created a new world and entered it, and then added specialties back and it worked just fine.

Starts at line 74

Code: Select all

local function readXP(player, specialty)
    local file = io.open(minetest.get_worldpath().."/"..player.."_"..specialty, "r")
    if file == nil then
        writeXP(player, specialty, 0)
        return 0
    end
    local xp = file:read("*number")
    file:close()
    return xp
end

sky

by sky » Post

this mod is like Minecraft enchanting but it is without table and it is Minetest style

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

nice idea!
add things like double-drop or faster mining
and add a glowing mese-pickaxe as an ultimate upgrade wich you can only get for xp (take the code from walking light or torch or however it was called)
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

It is actually more complicated than you would think to change the properties table of a tool dynamically. Double drop is actually easy to do so I'll think about adding that one.

I have actually been working on another mod that would add moving lights, ore finder, and a home protector all in one mod. I call him spot but he hasn't been released yet.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

I know its complicated, i know how tools work in minetest :D
thanks for the double-drops.
that was just an idea, im shure there is a lot more you could do to -ench- "specialize" your tools.

please dont! split it up in seperate ones, its a lot better:
  • admins can add it in portions
  • people can fork your repos more easily.
  • if one thing breaks it does not break the whole mod
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

I guess I could release them in separate files but in a single pack that way admins can manage their servers easier and others can modify it in chunks if necessary. Either way the spot mod wouldn't be using all the features at one time because he is only going to be doing one task at a time. It is literally an entity that follows you around to assist you in mining by finding a specific ore or creating a natural light or protecting your home if you set him to stay home.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

ah, im sorry, i missunderstood you, i thougth it would add those functionalities as i.e. an command not as an "pet"
then its allright with me to put it into one mod of cause

FireStrykeR

by FireStrykeR » Post

When I try to repair my mese pickaxe, my client (server) freezes up.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

FireStrykeR wrote:When I try to repair my mese pickaxe, my client (server) freezes up.
I just updated the mod to fix that issue. I missed it when I was testing it initially for some reason. I also added moreores mod support for its tools. There are probably a few imbalances when it comes to healing and upgrading and I'll work on that later since right now is just developing the base of the mod.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

i dl the version it was before. link is not updated.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Mito551 wrote:i dl the version it was before. link is not updated.
The download link is linked to the same file location so all I do is update the file. That way I don't have to change the download link every time.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

yes, i thought that was your idea. but codes are identical. 1.1=2.0. and you said you changed it.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

I thought I had rezipped my folder but it was really three weeks old so I forgot to update it. Sorry about that it should be fixed now.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

thanks!
Last edited by Mito551 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Great mod. Are you planning on adding Farming Compatibility?
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

I could work on adding farming into the system. I have some ideas for skills and i think there should be a way for me to register whether a farming node has been dug.