[Mod] Stoneage, flint and fire [stoneage]

by 2232 » Post

Ok. Thank-you. A crafting wiki for this mod woyld be helpful. (:
"I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun..."
-Shake Me Down by Cage The Elephant

Limada

by Limada » Post

I tested your mod yesterday and I like it. It gives me the right atmosphere in the game. Starting with silex and ending with mesecon/technic. :) Thank you for the work.
First I tried to lumber an appletree with the bare hand and it didn´t work. Great! That´s what I want. Then I activated "Moretress" and chopped a pine in 3 seconds. Arrh, is there a way to fix it?

Update: 10.02.14

So, I checked your overwrite.lua and compared your entries for trees with the default and moretrees. Then I deleted all "oddly_breakable_by_hand" entries for the trees in default and moretrees. Now it works for all.
Last edited by Limada on Mon Feb 10, 2014 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Nice to see someone still using this.

I updated it, so you don't have to change moretrees by hand. And support for other tree mods can easily be added now.

Limada

by Limada » Post

Casimir wrote:Nice to see someone still using this.

I updated it, so you don't have to change moretrees by hand. And support for other tree mods can easily be added now.
Hello Casimir,

thank you for your fast(!) support. I quickly downloaded the new version and replaced the modified file from moretrees with the default one.
But when I start the game I get an "Error from Lua":

Code: Select all

19:56:30: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
19:56:30: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
19:56:30: ERROR[main]: D:\Spielerchen\minetest-0.4.8\bin\..\mods\stoneage\init.lua:
19:56:30: ERROR[main]: ...erchen\minetest-0.4.8\bin\..\mods\stoneage/overwrite.lua:5: attempt to call field 'override_item' (a nil value)
19:56:30: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
19:56:30: ERROR[main]:     ...erchen\minetest-0.4.8\bin\..\mods\stoneage/overwrite.lua:5: in main chunk
19:56:30: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
19:56:30: ERROR[main]:     D:\Spielerchen\minetest-0.4.8\bin\..\mods\stoneage\init.lua:17: in main chunk
19:56:30: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
The new overwrite.lua is very different and smaller from the previous. Maybe the error comes because I use minetest 0.4.8 (because the new 0.4.9 didn´t work for me, crashes all the time). My knowledge of computer and programming is very poor, the same with my english. Sorry.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Oh, I'm sorry. The overrite_item function is quite new in Minetest, it will be available in 0.4.10. I usually don't think about version numbers. I guess will have to use the old version then.
the same with my english. Sorry.
Übung macht den Meister ;)
Last edited by Casimir on Mon Feb 10, 2014 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Limada

by Limada » Post

;) And now, Lesson 2:

I followed your example in your new overwrite-file and wrote the needed trees in the oldone, like this:

Code: Select all

-- moretrees:pine_trunk
entity = registered("node","moretrees:pine_trunk")
entity.groups = {tree=1,choppy=2,flammable=2}
minetest.register_node(":moretrees:pine_trunk", entity)
And it seems to work. I never played (read) around with code, but it´s cool. Thanks for the experience.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

I think I've discovered a mod conflict. I tested it as fully as I'm able and I think I've isolated the problem mod but I could be mistaken. When you run the MG mod (map generation, in the mod store) along with the Stoneage mod, it keeps silex from spawing on world generation. I figured I could post the issue here (can't find the forum topic for MG) to let you all know what I think I'm seeing.

It's a shame because the MG villages are very nice (like them much better than MC villages), although I don't see any villagers from it.

By the way, I think I may have misunderstood the purpose of the biface tool. The first post says "A Hand-axe/Biface is the swiss knife of the stoneage, it can be used for everything, is a bit slower than stonetools." but neither the hand-axe nor the biface will mine stone. Would the topic poster be willing to clarify that post, please? Thank you.

FYI - Jouster

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Add "mg?" in the depends.txt and see if that helps. It is a general problem with almost all mods that use the Lua Voxel Manipulator.
Flint is a very hard material that can have sharp edges. It was used for axes, knives, arrows and all the things. But for mining it is useless, because it is such a hard material it will break very easily. (With diamonds thats even worse. The diamond tools in Minecraft are a joke, just like Mese is.) Following the logic, you shouldn't be able to craft stonetools from silex.
Over all I'm no more working that much on this mod. To get the stoneage concept right it is to complex for only a mod, it would require it's own gamemode. So step by step the ideas will make their way into nodetest, but in a different shape.

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

Casimir wrote:(With diamonds thats even worse. The diamond tools in Minecraft are a joke, just like Mese is.)
guess it should be carbide steel.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I'm fine with Mese. I just don't understand why we copied the diamond tools into Minetest

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

eh, cause people were like "minecraft has diamonds! this should too!!"

here's an idea, for 4.10 replace diamond tools with carbide steel, made by combining a diamond and iron ingot. that way we can be more unique.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Casimir wrote:Add "mg?" in the depends.txt and see if that helps. It is a general problem with almost all mods that use the Lua Voxel Manipulator.
Flint is a very hard material that can have sharp edges. It was used for axes, knives, arrows and all the things. But for mining it is useless, because it is such a hard material it will break very easily. (With diamonds thats even worse. The diamond tools in Minecraft are a joke, just like Mese is.) Following the logic, you shouldn't be able to craft stonetools from silex.
Over all I'm no more working that much on this mod. To get the stoneage concept right it is to complex for only a mod, it would require it's own gamemode. So step by step the ideas will make their way into nodetest, but in a different shape.
Just to clarify, the "depends.txt" you're talking about would be the file for the Stoneage mod, correct?

Additionally, I agree using raw diamond doesn't make much sense. Diamond tips or edging would have certain practical real-world uses but the brittleness would make such tools have very limited lifespans. That said, though, I just plain like mining diamonds. They're cool. Yeah, it's puerile, I know but there it is. Truth is, there are a LOT of gems/ores that are used for tools in Minetest that wouldn't make practical use in real-life: silver, gold, copper, diamond, the various gemstones... Eh, you get the point. I've always felt this to be... erm, "uncreative". I like having those materials, I just wished folks used the materials for things that make sense. Copper, for instance. That's the obvious choice for transmitting energy. If you're going to have magic, diamond and other gemstones are the natural choices for enchanting. Now, my criticism was "uncreative" so how's this for a creative solution: silver used for healing potions, gold used for devices that repel hostile mobs or area protection, precious metals and gems used for pattern building blocks (think bas relief). Not saying any of those ideas in particular are what anyone should do but that's the general trend I'd personally like to see mod-designers go; use materials in ways that make sense but add interesting complexity to the game. Case in point: this mod. Obviously, I'm not the only person who watched someone playing Minetest or MC, breaking trees by hand and wondered where the programmers' heads were at or else this mod wouldn't have ever been made. I thought this mod made the game more interesting AND made it make more sense at the same time. Walking along and finding flint? Heh, yes that does make sense. Although... I really wish the biface actually was the swiss army knife of the prehostoric world. It actually could be used to cut wood AND mine rock (although VERY slowly). Sorry, I digress. My point is that we should keep the diamonds but use them differently.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Jouster27 wrote: Copper, for instance. That's the obvious choice for transmitting energy.
And that's why copper is a sought-after material on all servers that run the technic mod. Some servers almost run on a copper basis as currency due to that :-)

However, technic is a bit far from the stoneage.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Jouster27 wrote: Copper, for instance. That's the obvious choice for transmitting energy.
And that's why copper is a sought-after material on all servers that run the technic mod. Some servers almost run on a copper basis as currency due to that :-)

However, technic is a bit far from the stoneage.
Heh, I've never tried technic. I'm sure it's cool, it's just that the tech never really captured my imagination on this game. Eh, maybe when I get bored with primative someday...

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Casimir wrote:Add "mg?" in the depends.txt and see if that helps. It is a general problem with almost all mods that use the Lua Voxel Manipulator.
Tested. The fix works. Thank you, Casimir.