Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: [Modpack] Plantlife [rolling release] [plantlife_modpack]

by Festus1965 » Post

issue, but no account there:
see full failure output

Code: Select all

ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'biome_lib' in callback environment_Step(): /home/thomas/.minetest/mods/plantlife/trunks/generating.lua:128: attempt to index a nil value
as I see no changes since last time in trunks,
won't take full new plantlife version, as I have many changes inside
see if it's just the first bad time happened
still 5.2.0 version server
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Since the node that threw the error was fetched earlier in the code by minetest.get_node(), the only way I can see this error happening is if the node in question is unknown/undefined (hence has no .name field).

Thing is, the only time that code runs is right after the mapgen, so it should only ever be dealing with fresh, new terrain when biome_lib triggers it.

There are, to my knowledge, only three ways you'll get an unknown node onto the map:

1. if someone removed a mod that players had been using,
2. if some other mod is de-registering nodes at startup,
3. by an engine bug that lets an undefined node slip through (normally the game would just crash if you tried to place one).

So at mapgen time, it'll have to be an engine bug or a mod de-registering things between the moment they're added to the terrain by the mapgen and the moment biome_lib runs through the block.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Uh, thanks for your well understanding knowledge about this issues,

in fact, there is a mod, that I didn't find yet, having no .name, and still search
but even I haven't changed all init.lua yet, to throw my own version of report after loaded,
(link with source of mod silent, sent log mod name, version, date and modcounter)

and as that seam to be an absolute special effect I keep silent and see if that might happen again as first in years
and my server version is 'old' 5.2.0 I see so sense so start bigger trigger, if it would have happened in 5.4.1
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

sangeet

by sangeet » Post

Hi,

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but apple blossoms don't decay at my server :) They just stay in the air when apple tree is cut down and all leaves decay.

Using multicraft 2.0.0 server, made blossoms drawtype = "plantlike" and walkable = false, otherwise no changes.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I can't reproduce the decay problem -- it works fine here both on a Moretrees apple tree and on a "default" tree. The latter mode is only used when Moretrees isn't present, so if you have some extra mod in place that's adding blossoms to "default" trees and Moretrees IS present, then those added blossoms won't decay.

Can you get me a screenshot and tell me the exact node names of the blossoms and the tree trunks?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

sangeet

by sangeet » Post

I don't have Moretrees at my server. Here are the screens:

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Is it possible that you have some other mod in place that's also (re)registering leaf decay for default trees? If so, that one will override both the default one and mine if it's the last one to load (only one leaf decay function per trunk is allowed, so whatever's executed last takes priority).

Note that I do not directly support Multicraft (nor do I intentionally break it :-P ). My mods are written for Minetest-game and/or Dreambuilder.

sangeet

by sangeet » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 09:49
Note that I do not directly support Multicraft (nor do I intentionally break it :-P ). My mods are written for Minetest-game and/or Dreambuilder.
Yeah, I know :) I really like your mods, use some of them with pleasure. Thank you for your replies, I will check other mods. I have ethereal, it probably does something.

sangeet

by sangeet » Post

Ok, it was ethereal, which has it's own procedure to apple leaf decay. I added ethereal to soft dependencies in nature_classic, blossoms started to decay. However, now apples don't fall to the ground :D

sys4
GitHub: sys4-fr
IRC: sys4
In-game: sys4

by sys4 » Post

Hello,

I have a big problem on my public server which is very difficult to determine because no error is displayed and the server logs even in verbose mode say nothing usefull. What is happening is that the Minetest process is stuck using 100% of the CPU. For the clients, the map doesn't load anymore and the connection is interrupted some time after. I have to kill the process by hand before I can restart the server. (Are we in an infinite loop?)

This freeze happens more and more frequently since my server is more visited than usual.
My tests suggest that the problem is with the plantlife_modpack mod and seems to be related to the LBM for moss conversion.

The blocking does not occur when a blank chunk of the map generates because there is no need to convert the mosses through the LBM. The blocking occurs only in old explored areas with the old mosses displayed as unknown blocks before conversion, especially when lot of them are present . Sometimes if the server has just restarted and I'm the only one on the map, the conversion of the old moss can be done without blocking. And from this point, no blocking occurs if others players come to this successfully converted areas.

So I tried to reproduce the problem in a test server on a copy of the production map. But I can't reproduce it !
At best I managed to get unknown blocks that don't convert but the map keeps loading.
Here a capture of a moss that does not want to convert:

Always in test server I also had once the error mentioned above by Festus1965 with a real crash this time. I was moving very fast on the map with priv fast. But after restarting the map the error never reappeared.

On my Ryzen 3600 PC, I also tested to create a map in solo mode with an older version of the mod that does not generate wallmounted moss. I increased in the trunks_settings.txt file, the moss generation and loaded some terrain. I then restarted the map with the latest version of this mod to see the moss conversion in action. While moving on the map I can see the unknown blocks converting to mosses but it doesn't blocking nor crash.

So I don't understand what's going on, can my server performance be the cause?
It is an AMD FX 8370 with 8GB of RAM and a (SATA3 SSD aged of 3 months only).
The backend used for the map is PostgreSQL 13.3
The Minetest engine (compiled from source with LuaJit-2.0.5 and iirlicht 8.4) and game are the latest stable version 5.4.1
Lua interpreter on my system is 5.1.5

What can I do to make the LBM less intensive maybe?
Could the biome_lib queue management be a possible cause of the problem and is there some recommendations to set it of the best manner?
Is a map corruption could be the cause? (I haven't tried to delete and restore my DB yet)

Thank you for your time and if you can put me on the way of solving this problem.
It's the first time for me to be in front of a problem of this type.

If needed, here is the list of mods used on this server and the associated minetest.conf. https://sys4.fr/gitea/nalc/nalc-server-mods https://sys4.fr/gitea/nalc/nalc-server/ ... table.conf
Attachments
screenshot_20210818_181401.png
screenshot_20210818_181401.png (262.73 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
Last edited by sys4 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Grossam
GitHub: Grossam
IRC: Grossam
In-game: Grossam

by Grossam » Post

Is Gusia playing on your server ? That could explain many strange phenomenons…
Gloire à qui, n'ayant pas d'idéal sacro-saint,
Se borne à ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins.

sys4
GitHub: sys4-fr
IRC: sys4
In-game: sys4

by sys4 » Post

My problem seems solved for now.
I think my server configuration was the cause of this behavior and after tweaked it, the problem seems gone.
I apologize for this false alarm. The plantlife modpack works very well as long as you have a well-tuned server.

JordanL2

by JordanL2 » Post

EDIT: I've moved this to a github issue rather than pollute this thread.

revevil

by revevil » Post

I wish I found this mod a long time ago. I don't think I can go back to not using it. I love the sticks on the ground and also the lily pads! I think everything in it adds a touch of realism.

-----EDIT-----

To anyone experiencing the framerate LAG issue with this mod, there is an easy fix. A little sacrifice has to be made though. I am using this mod on both Linux and Android. I was trying yesterday to figure out why it flies on Android and runs horribly choppy on my PC. Well my PC has a viewing distance of 200, and the setting was 50 on my phone.

You have to go into Settings> Graphics> In-Game> Advanced> Viewing Range to change it or just edit minetest.conf. I AM NOT willing to give up this mod, so I'm trading a bit of viewing distance to have my lands look beautiful! Minetest looks a little "too green" without it. Where are the sticks, rocks, beer cans, and hobos? (Ok I threw those last two in!)

Diablosxm
GitHub: Diablosxm
IRC: Diablosxm
In-game: Diablosxm

by Diablosxm » Post

Hi ,
little issue with last update
Minetest 5.7.0-dev-e84d259 (Linux)
Using LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3
BUILD_TYPE=Release
RUN_IN_PLACE=1
USE_CURL=1
STATIC_SHAREDIR="."

2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /opt/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/plantlife_modpack/bushes_classic/init.lua:
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: /opt/minetest/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:420: bad argument #7 to 'register_item_raw' (number expected, got string)
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'register_item_raw'
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: /opt/minetest/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:420: in function 'override_item'
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: ...bin/../mods/plantlife_modpack/bushes_classic/cooking.lua:40: in main chunk
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: ...st/bin/../mods/plantlife_modpack/bushes_classic/init.lua:30: in main chunk

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

Diablosxm wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 01:27
Hi ,
Using LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3
BUILD_TYPE=Release
RUN_IN_PLACE=1
USE_CURL=1
STATIC_SHAREDIR="."

2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /opt/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/plantlife_modpack/bushes_classic/init.lua:
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: /opt/minetest/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:420: bad argument #7 to 'register_item_raw' (number expected, got string)
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: /opt/minetest/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:420: in function 'override_item'
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: ...bin/../mods/plantlife_modpack/bushes_classic/cooking.lua:40: in main chunk
2023-07-19 21:01:11: ERROR[Main]: ...st/bin/../mods/plantlife_modpack/bushes_classic/init.lua:30: in main chunk
should be fixed now https://github.com/mt-mods/plantlife_mo ... fe6bcbcd5d - will be on cdb tommorrow/day after when cdb auto imports it
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

Diablosxm
GitHub: Diablosxm
IRC: Diablosxm
In-game: Diablosxm

by Diablosxm » Post

wsor4035 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 03:36
Diablosxm wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 01:27
Hi ,
Using LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3
BUILD_TYPE=Release
RUN_IN_PLACE=1
USE_CURL=1
STATIC_SHAREDIR="."

should be fixed now https://github.com/mt-mods/plantlife_mo ... fe6bcbcd5d - will be on cdb tommorrow/day after when cdb auto imports it
Thanks working like a charm

jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

by jonadab » Post

Yeah, anything that defines a bunch of new stuff that happens on worldgen, is going to lag when you load a bunch of never-previously-loaded area. The plantlife stuff is actually not that bad, relatively speaking, though it does manifest the issue. I think dfcaverns is the most extreme example I've encountered, for that specific issue. I put up with this kind of lag, because it only happens when new areas are generated, and it makes the world more interesting. Plantlife, in particular, only ever happens near the surface, so if you're setting up a new server you can reasonably make pre-emptive use of /emergeblocks to pre-generate everything close to the world spawn point before unleashing multiple players at once.

The lag I really want optimized, is the kind that continues to happen no matter how long you've been in the area, even if players don't do anything wrong. Notably, flowing liquids in large caverns.