[Modpack] Plantlife [rolling release] [plantlife_modpack]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

How about using the minetest mapgen perlin for deserts as a humidity map? It is ..

Code: Select all

local perlin = minetest.env:get_perlin(9130,3,0.5,250)
local noise = perlin:get2d({x=x+150,y=z+50})
With noise > 0.4 for deserts / dry areas.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Thanks for the tip! Git updated accordingly :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Are you still considering adding in the plants from the moreflowers mod? The link to the mod's topic is below.
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=2631
The plants in that mod spawn whenever new chunks of the map are loaded. They are not flammable, but they could be used to decorate areas where the trees from the moretrees mod are scarce (as long as they have grass and dirt.) The brown plant could be used to decorate the deserts and the mushrooms could be used to decorate the caves. When considering how to spawn the tall sunflowers, look at how the crops in the hydrophonics mod grow. There are some duplicate plants in the moreflowers mod, so you will have to ignore those.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yes. I just forgot about it is all. I'll get to it Real Soon Now.™ ;-)

I am of course happy to receive pull requests if anyone feels like adapting it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

That is understandable. The trees of the moretrees mod were the top priority of you and RealBadAngel. By the looks of things, it doesn't look like the creator of the moreflowers mod works on it anymore.

Below here is an image that shows off all of the unique plants of the moreflowers mod.
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... cba125.png
I placed one of each of the unique plants into an appropriate group:
The plants that are on the clay blocks can be treated just like the flowers in your plantlife modpack are.
The group of green specks on the water source could be spawned in clusters where deep water is found to make oceans more interesting.
The mushrooms on the stone blocks could be spawned like your flowers, but could be more common around the trees of the moretrees mod (as long as those trees can spawn on grass, with the bigger trees getting more mushrooms around them than the rest.) They could also appear in caves, but so could a fluorescent type that is turquoise in color.
The plants that are on the gravel could spawn in grassy areas where the trees of the moretrees mod will not (even if the default trees of Minetest are there.) The two yellow-green plants are short grass and tall grass, and the yellow and white plant is known as cotton (though you could name it something else, due to the fact that it does not look like yours.) These three plants, like in the moreflowers mod, could grow in clusters ranging from small to large. The tall plant behind them is what I assume to be a sunflower. This type of plant could grow exclusively in grassy areas where the trees of the moretrees mod will not. The other three plants on the gravel nodes could primarily grow in the same regions as well, but could also appear in small clusters in other places with grass nodes as well.
The brown plant on the sandstone block is an interesting one. This is due to the fact that it moves by disappearing on the node that it is on and instantly reappearing on an adjacent node. Because of this behavior and because of how it looks, it could be referred to as tumbleweed. This plant could spawn only in deserts on desert sand and desert stone and only be able to move onto those two node types. An additional variation of the plant could be made that is stationary, but could eventually become the original kind that moves.

I recently sent the creator of the moreflowers mod, sda97, a PM asking whether he will continue to work on the mod or not. He has not responded yet.
Last edited by Inocudom on Fri Feb 08, 2013 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the code or the documentation, but in the first post here and in the README that comes with this modpack, it states the mods should work with Minetest version 0.4.4 or later. However, the plants_lib mod uses a new API call minetest.env:spawn_tree(...) which is newer than 0.4.4 so can only be obtained from the development version.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Fri Feb 22, 2013 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

0.4.4 refers to the current development branch actually, but I've clarified it in the README and first post. Thanks for catching that.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-02-23: Made a couple of perlin functions global to avoid re-defining them unnecessarily. Optimized a bunch of nil comparisons ("if x == nil" -> "if not x" and similar)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-02-23: Added a couple features to the API to allow for turning off checking for air, deleting nodes above/surrounding the spawn target during the mapgen code, replacing the spawn target, and checking the type of node directly below the spawn target.

newdude

by newdude » Post

sweet +1

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Could you add a version with animated textures?
Or rather, if I make nice animated textures, would you be so nice to add them?
Flowers may swing back and forth slowly, grass - weaving, leaves - thrilling etc.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Because of the draw type used with the various plants, such things would require being able to warp the faces of the objects; animated textures alone won't be enough because they'll cause the images to sort of "split apart" as they wave around.

Be that as it may, I'm not inclined to add such things to this modpack, it is meant to be lightweight.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: 2013-03-20: Made all jungle grass, poison ivy plants and flowers, except for flowers-in-pots, buildable_to. This does not affect other mods that use plants_lib, just the ones included here.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

VanessaE wrote:Update 2013-02-24: Fixed waterlilies sometimes being placed vertically instead of flat/horizontally. Sorry about that folks (why don't people tell me these things?).

To be honest never noticed until you pointed this out lol, but thanks for the update.
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

There, pushed a proper fix. It's not an engine bug, just an artifact of poor API documentation in the past. (Why didn't I catch this sooner?)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Important notice to all users of this mod: Due to a long-standing bug which I just fixed, anyone who downloads the latest git of Minetest with the new "6d facedir" code included will find that a fair number of their waterlilies will appear to be standing on edge, or they'll have a selection box that isn't correct.

This is because the engine was not storing the rotation values for the waterlilies as they were being interpreted for display. Rather, it was storing the raw values that were being given, whether valid or not. This is no longer being done, but the old values are still there, so you'll see some artifacts.

The solution is to just dig up any offending waterlilies and let the mod generate them again over time.

It might be faster to comment-out the waterlilies' spawn_on_surfaces calls in plantlife/flowers/init.lua and then write a custom ABM that'll go around deleting them, then disable that ABM and restore the commented-out call once they're all gone, or use worldedit to wipe them out.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update 2013-04-25: Minetest now comes with a flowers mod, so that which it includes has been removed from my mod. In so doing, I've renamed my flowers mod to "flowers_plus", since it's now more of an add-on to the default.

You need Minetest "common" from git from at least this afternoon (and you may also need the latest Minetest engine), or you'll find lots of unknown blocks in your map where flowers used to be. If you have an older version of Minetest, either grab the latest nightly build/git source, or use a version of plantlife older than today's update.

vv221

by vv221 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Update 2013-04-25: Minetest now comes with a flowers mod, so that which it includes has been removed from my mod. In so doing, I've renamed my flowers mod to "flowers_plus", since it's now more of an add-on to the default.
As of today, "flowers" is missing from common_mods line in games/minetest_game/game.conf, resulting in unknown blocks in place of flowers from older versions of your mod. (minetest engine, minetest game and common all downloaded today from git)
Adding the missing "flowers" to common_mods works well.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The standard distribution of minetest_game never supported default flowers. :-/ But it's easy enough to copy or just enable it like you did. I guess I shoulda been more clear :-)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

It seems that flowers don't appear on old chunks anymore. When those flowers were part of this mod, they appeared on old chunks. Jungle grass, however, can appear on old chunks. Is there a way that flowers can appear on old chunks again? Could this be done for the tall grass too?
Last edited by Inocudom on Sun May 12, 2013 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

There is no code in my mod to remove them, so they should continue to re-grow - unless someone or something is harvesting them faster than their grow rate.

On my server, I have the opposite problem - they grow way too fast and almost out of control, and HEAVILY favor dandelions and cotton (which should be impossible, there's nothing in my code or in PilzAdam's that should be doing that).

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The old chunks were from an old 0.4.3 map I decided to look around in. When the flowers were part of your mod, they would have eventually appeared on the old chunks of that map. Now, only the lilypads and poison ivy do. This seems unusual, considering that the flowers are much more abundant on your server.

Has anyone else seen something like this on their maps lately?
Last edited by Inocudom on Mon May 13, 2013 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This is strange. See, in the new default flowers, they're supposed to only spawn near other flowers (hence, a small patch should expand over time), so if you have an area that's totally devoid of flowers, they won't regrow there until you plant a few yourself.

Also they use different Perlin settings than mine did, which changes their growing pattern.

vv221

by vv221 » Post

VanessaE wrote:On my server, I have the opposite problem - they grow way too fast and almost out of control, and HEAVILY favor dandelions and cotton (which should be impossible, there's nothing in my code or in PilzAdam's that should be doing that).
It has the same behaviour on my server, plantlife and minetest built from git the 20130506.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Grrr, technic relies on this modpack, and some of the recipies require dies. And since the colored flowers were removed, you can't get dyes naturally. :/
Back from the dead!