[Modpack] Plantlife [rolling release] [plantlife_modpack]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Current versions of minetest (in git) already have flowers (though I'm not sure which 'game' uses them), which can be crafted into dyes. Anything which can use my old flowers (or ironzorg's original) can use the default ones.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update 2013-05-21: Since 'common', 'build', and 'survival' have all been re-incorporated into minetest_game, and farming mod is now part of it also, cotton from flowers_plus has been retired, as it is obsolete now. Any recipes that depend on the cotton plants or on wads of cotton should be tweaked at some point to use the farming mod's cotton plants and string instead. Aliases are provided for backwards compatibility.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The cotton plants look nice as plants and thus deserve to live on :-) Maybe they could be a more natural source for "wild" cotton than junglegrass?
A list of my mods can be found here.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Not really necessary, any server that's been using plantlife for a while probably already has an abundant supply of "wild" cotton by now anyway :-)

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

I'd say: this mod is a must-have!

Took me a while to figure out why no flowers would spawn (I use the stable 0.4.6). :D
Guess might happen to any newcomer.
(Anyway, now I've got the flowers mod from a development version of the game...)

Makes ones minetest world much more "alive".

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Is it on purpose that one cannot place water lilies on water?

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Not specifically, no. I just never thought to add that feature (and I'm not exactly sure how to :P ).

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

VanessaE wrote:Not specifically, no. I just never thought to add that feature (and I'm not exactly sure how to :P ).
Ah, ok, I just thought it would be a nice feature (not only because minetest has it). :)
Something as simple as

Code: Select all

liquids_buildable = true,
would be nice to have.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

There's the liquids_pointable property, but dunno if it works for nodes (buckets use it).
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

kaeza wrote:There's the liquids_pointable property, but dunno if it works for nodes (buckets use it).
It also works for nodes.

I experimented with it and added the following to the waterlily:

Code: Select all

liquids_pointable = true,
    on_place = function(itemstack, placer, pointed_thing)
        local pt = pointed_thing
        local direction = minetest.dir_to_facedir(placer:get_look_dir())
        local node = minetest.env:get_node(pt.under)
        local waterlily = math.random(1,4)
        if waterlily == 1 then
            minetest.add_node({x=pt.under.x, y=pt.under.y+1, z=pt.under.z}, {name="flowers:waterlily", param2=direction})
        elseif waterlily == 2 then
            minetest.add_node({x=pt.under.x, y=pt.under.y+1, z=pt.under.z}, {name="flowers:waterlily_225", param2=direction})
        elseif waterlily == 3 then
            minetest.add_node({x=pt.under.x, y=pt.under.y+1, z=pt.under.z}, {name="flowers:waterlily_45", param2=direction})
        elseif waterlily == 4 then
            minetest.add_node({x=pt.under.x, y=pt.under.y+1, z=pt.under.z}, {name="flowers:waterlily_675", param2=direction})
        end
        if not minetest.setting_getbool("creative_mode") then
            itemstack:take_item()
        end
        return itemstack
    end,
Dunno if it's elegant, but it works surprisingly well. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Does something need to be done to enable the seaweed? I have the plants in just about every game I have ever played and I have never seen any seaweed.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Lionsden: Seaweed is supposed to be a little bit rare, but you should still see it from time to time. It's limited to very shallow water in dark areas, near dirt/grass or on mostly-waterlogged stone.

Mossmanikin: That looks very similar to what I was thinking of doing, though I have a different idea in mind. I've pushed an update (affects plants_lib and flowers_plus) to add this feature, based loosely on your code. Lilies rotate randomly on place, or hold 'sneak' to force facedir-only placement, and they take node_ownership and a couple of other protection mods into account also.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

VanessaE wrote:Mossmanikin: That looks very similar to what I was thinking of doing, though I have a different idea in mind. I've pushed an update (affects plants_lib and flowers_plus) to add this feature, based loosely on your code. Lilies rotate randomly on place, or hold 'sneak' to force facedir-only placement, and they take node_ownership and a couple of other protection mods into account also.
I love what you've done there!

I'm glad my code was of some use.
Also one can really learn by looking at your code. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: Minor tweak to the lines that test for avoid_nodes to make the logic more readable.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: Imported the classic Bushes mod into this modpack, updated to use the current API, and with some decent biome controls.

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

Hi, please is possible add raw pie recipe which also accept strawberries from farming_plus (if installed)?
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Good idea. Added in git.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Bushes Classic just got a nice upgrade:

Digging a bush gives you that bush, with a 1/5 chance of getting two, so you can slowly grow your garden.

Craft one bush by itself to turn it into four of the corresponding fruit. You can craft two sugar, one jungle grass, and three fruit to get one raw pie of that fruit. Cook it to make it edible. ;-) Heals 2 hearts.

Craft one whole pie by itself to get four slices, each of which heals 1/2 heart.

Craft two sugar, one jungle grass, and mix-and-match six fruits to get two mixed fruit pies. Cook it as before, craft one to get four slices.

You can also craft baskets in which to keep the pies (effectively triples your storage space for pies).

See the first post for details/crafting information.

nater6927

by nater6927 » Post

Can you ask BlockMe to add this for his Better HUD mod please, its for the food bar that he added.
Last edited by nater6927 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my YouTube series of Minetest! http:bit.ly/JoinRomanEmpire

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

Please add plants

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

nater: I'll leave that up to him, but I would hope his code checks if an item is edible.

jenova: Add what plants, exactly?

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

More flowers!
Water plants more!
Many ivy, weed and more!
I want the various plants anyway!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

For stuff like that, get the Undergrowth modpack (viewtopic.php?id=7207) and the Dry Grasses mod (viewtopic.php?id=7143). Those depend on Plantlife/plants_lib anyway. The combination of these really loads the world up with foliage.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

VanessaE wrote: Digging a bush gives you that bush, with a 1/5 chance of getting two, so you can slowly grow your garden.
The bushes are a nice addition. I'm looking forward to tasty berries!
VanessaE wrote: Craft one bush by itself to turn it into four of the corresponding fruit.
That annoys me a bit. Can't you change it so that it depends on which tool you use on the bush? That is: Raw hands give you the fruits and turn the bush into a berry-less one. The berries regrow after some time. This is the behaviour Mauvebics farming plants show. It is very well suited for plants that last more than one summer and that survive beeing bereft of their fruits. It would only require one more texture (bush without berries) and storage of what type of bush that used to be before harvesting so that it does regrow the right type of fruit.

In order to get the bush as such, a shovel might be very helpful. Just dig the bush including roots.

If an axe is used, the bush could provide some sticks (but no fruits).

This would also be very fine for some plants from farming_plus. It annoys me that plants like strawberries (there are breeds of both type), rhubarb and so on are destroyed on harvest in farming_plus - while in Mauvebics mods, even carrots and potatoes survive harvesting and regrow. Both is unrealistic as it relies on the plant.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Sokomine wrote:
VanessaE wrote: Digging a bush gives you that bush, with a 1/5 chance of getting two, so you can slowly grow your garden.
The bushes are a nice addition. I'm looking forward to tasty berries!
VanessaE wrote: Craft one bush by itself to turn it into four of the corresponding fruit.
That annoys me a bit. Can't you change it so that it depends on which tool you use on the bush? That is: Raw hands give you the fruits and turn the bush into a berry-less one. The berries regrow after some time. This is the behaviour Mauvebics farming plants show. It is very well suited for plants that last more than one summer and that survive beeing bereft of their fruits. It would only require one more texture (bush without berries) and storage of what type of bush that used to be before harvesting so that it does regrow the right type of fruit.

In order to get the bush as such, a shovel might be very helpful. Just dig the bush including roots.

If an axe is used, the bush could provide some sticks (but no fruits).

This would also be very fine for some plants from farming_plus. It annoys me that plants like strawberries (there are breeds of both type), rhubarb and so on are destroyed on harvest in farming_plus - while in Mauvebics mods, even carrots and potatoes survive harvesting and regrow. Both is unrealistic as it relies on the plant.
I support everything Sokomine said. Everything.