[Modpack] Plantlife [rolling release] [plantlife_modpack]

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Inocudom wrote:I do think it would be a good idea to drop the duplicates, and the leftover flowers would have to be made flammable (they would also have to spawn similarly to the manner that yours do.) The mushrooms don't spawn in the caves as much as I would like them too and the brown plants would look nice in the deserts. I left a few suggestions in the topic for the moreflowers mod as well.
I was thinking that it would be neat if there was a special type of mushroom that lived in caves and emitted florescent light.

The sunflowers and the brown plants are pretty and would make for some good decorations. There are some nice plants in the moreflowers mod.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

There have been numerous recent updates to the API of the plants_lib mod to add features needed by my More Trees mod. I recommend that anyone who uses this modpack, please update, or at least update the plants_lib part. Some changes of note is the default seed has changed to match that used in minetest_game so that the junglegrass mod herein will be able to re-grow grass in the areas where it now spawns in the map. This mod now also features a basic temperature map, which should blend in nicely with Splizard's Snow Biomes mod (the same Perlin values are used, with the assumption that the edge of a snow biome is 0° Centigrade).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2012-01-19: Added code to allow for mapgen-based spawning in addition to the existing ABM-based code. Growing code is ABM-based and unchanged.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

please add this code to the flowers mod. it makes wool from 4 cotton in a square.

Code: Select all

minetest.register_craft({
    output = "wool:white 2",
    recipe = {
        {'', '', ''},
        {'flowers:cotton', 'flowers:cotton', ''},
    }
})
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:please add this code to the flowers mod. it makes wool from 4 cotton in a square.

minetest.register_craft({
    output = "wool:white 2",
    recipe = {
        {'', '', ''},
    }
})
i have added a pull request
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

i think that this mod should go into minetest_game
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

That would be nice, but it may or may not be a likely proposition.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Inocudom wrote:That would be nice, but it may or may not be a likely proposition.
why not. it adds so much more life to the game. also with my pull request you can actually make wool. if we can get dye recipes from the flowers that you just have to cook them or something and that is it then this would be perfect to add to the vanilla game.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Plantlife is still under development and is not being aimed at minetest_game at this time.

Regarding your recipe/pull request: I've merged it. Plantlife/flowers can now craft two white wool from four wads of cotton.

Also, today's update for modders: Plantlife's mapgen-based spawner can now directly call the spawn_tree() function if supplied with the appropriate parameters. See API.txt for details.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Suggestion for growing plants. Having natural plants that all have exactly similar height is not believable. Maybe you can add a height-deviation argument. That way plant size can differ.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-01-25: HUGE update!

Changed plants_lib API to require a table argument when not using legacy calling options. This opens the door for even more features in the future. Changed flowers, junglegrass, poisonivy to match.

Many other changes, including:
  • Made plants lib faster in some places, especially the surface-hunting algorithm, and especially over water. Fixed a few other misc. bugs.
  • Made growth code properly execute all biome-control code before executing any string-named function or spawn_tree().
  • Tuned flowers settings. Made flowers require at least some light to spawn, made waterlilies require shallower water. Fixed a bug in water depth detect and made water depth depend on whether the bottom of the water area is dirt, dirt with grass, or sand, rather than just anything.
  • Made waterlilies randomly rotate on spawning to break up the patterns (now has 16 orientations with the help of nodeboxes and facedir, requires only 3 new nodes). Smoothed edges of the regular waterlily texture. Made all flowers and waterlilies spawn using only 3 ABM calls instead of 8.
  • Got rid of colon prefix node def overrides on all plants, since this is a modpack now instead of an integrated mod. Fixed a misspelled folder name for poisonivy.
  • Fixed a bug in the wall detection routine - it returned the last wall found, not the first.
  • Made the top-side-check for air only apply when spawning on top of the target rather than its sides/bottom.
Many other features and enhancements have been made. Too many to list here. Please see the mod's API.txt file or the code for details.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Plant-type Request: Brome Grass

Minetest's default grass looks too golfcourse perfect. I would like tall grass as an option. Something that, maybe some day in the future, could wave in the wind.

Perhaps there could be tall grass biomes.

If a perfectly manicured lawn is desired or maybe default grass to indicate a path amongst the tall grass may a worldedit like command could be issued to keep the lawn mowed. Once the command is executed on a spefic area the tall grass nodes will not appear on the dirt_with_grass nodes.

For pathes, maybe a function that works like a lawn mower where ever the player walks the tall grass nodes will disappear.

Thanks for the plantlife and moretrees mods. They really do enhance Minetest.

Ragnarok

by Ragnarok » Post

Is there a way that the junglegrass does not disappear when I place it somewhere manually? I use it for decoration and disappearing is quite cumbersome.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ragnarok: Place it on anything other than default sand, desert sand, or dirt with grass. For example, place it that all-grass block in More Blocks, or in a Home Decor flower pot, etc.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

LazyJ: Change the spawning settings for the Jungle Grass mod and you'll have your tall grass. :-) See Plantlife API for details.

For a quick test, in plantlife/junglegrass/init.lua, find the spawn_on_surfaces() call for "shortest" jungle grass on default:dirt_with_grass. Comment out the "avoid_radius" line. Then add this to that table:

plantlife_limit = -1,

(with the trailing comma)

This will cause plantlife to effectively ignore the "can grow in these areas" perlin layer for that plant, making it grow everywhere that dirt with grass can be found.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

You could make a house plant version of the jungle grass and the poison ivy.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That's a thought, but as long as you don't place them on the same surfaces they normally spawn on, they won't grow.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Fixed a missing facedir option in the spawn_on_surfaces code, which also fixes seaweed spawning on the wrong side of a node.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Ah i did wonder why i have never seen seaweed :D.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually you'd still see it, but it's ideally pretty rare. It would just have looked like some kind of levitating seaweed before. ;-)

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

This mod is getting awesomer by the minute. It has seen a complete overhaul from the old separate mods in terms of performance, and . It also adds a standardized set of functions for adding plants, flowers, and...well...plant life to the world, thanks to the plants_lib mod.
I'm amazed of the hard work you've put on this Vanessa; I hope this, like the plants, keeps growing.

P.S: This is my 500th POST!!!
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-01-29: Added a Perlin humidity layer to mapgen and abm-spawning calls. Added the ability to directly spawn single nodes at mapgen time. See API.txt for details on how to control both.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

Latest everything:

04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/plants_lib/init.lua:299: attempt to index local 'options' (a number value)
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
04:25:59: ERROR[main]:  ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/plants_lib/init.lua:299: in function 'grow_plants'
04:25:59: ERROR[main]:  ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:55: in main chunk
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua
04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ModError: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua
EDIT: Just upon trying to start minetestserver.

EDIT2: people, read the instructions! >.< Learn from my mistake...
Last edited by leo_rockway on Sat Feb 02, 2013 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

leo_rockway wrote:04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:55: in main chunk
leo_rockway wrote:EDIT2: people, read the instructions! >.< Learn from my mistake...
Yup.. always always read the instructions. Sometimes it does contain important info :P

For those who still don't get it:
VanessaE wrote:Install: First, you must completely remove any copies of this modpack and/or any individual copies of plants_lib, flowers, junglegrass, or poisonivy (including the one with the incorrectly-named folder) that you may have installed. Then, download the above zip, extract it, and put the resultant "plantlife-VanessaE-blablahblah" folder into your Minetest mods folder. You do not need to rename this folder.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

RAPHAEL wrote:
leo_rockway wrote:04:25:59: ERROR[main]: ...mes/minetest_game/mods/plantlife/poinsonivy/init.lua:55: in main chunk
leo_rockway wrote:EDIT2: people, read the instructions! >.< Learn from my mistake...
Yup.. always always read the instructions. Sometimes it does contain important info :P
In my defense, I installed plantlife when it first came out and I have a script that git pulls on all the mods I have installed. I had read the instructions originally so I didn't think they had changed.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!