[Mod] Protector [protector]

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Why doesn't anybody use minetest.env:find_node_near(pos, radius, nodenames) to locate protector blocks in their protection mods?

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Probably becase all protector mods are based on the same one ;)
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can switch to that ...
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The protector nodes in this mod don't replace the ones in the original mod by glomie.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Inocudom wrote:The protector nodes in this mod don't replace the ones in the original mod by glomie.
Have you disabled glomie's mod before installing this one?

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Zeg9 wrote:
Inocudom wrote:The protector nodes in this mod don't replace the ones in the original mod by glomie.
I never had glomie's mod installed.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Inocudom wrote:
Zeg9 wrote:
I never had glomie's mod installed.
How do you have their nodes then ??
If you downloaded the world, please check if it isn't in the "worldmods" directory.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The protectors left by Glomie's mod were unknown blocks when I got the map.

I can't find the protectors of your mod in the creative inventory. Are they meant to be there?

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Can you make it so It will show the area that is protected by making the air inside the protected area turn into a transparent node when you punch the protector block, and then turn back into air in a few seconds?
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Inocudom wrote:The protectors left by Glomie's mod were unknown blocks when I got the map.

I can't find the protectors of your mod in the creative inventory. Are they meant to be there?
Please type /mods and check if the protect mod has been loaded, I have a doubt now... ;)
12Me21 wrote:Can you make it so It will show the area that is protected by making the air inside the protected area turn into a transparent node when you punch the protector block, and then turn back into air in a few seconds?
I may borrow some code from 0gb.us's protector, if it's still available...

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

When I typed /mods, I did not see your protect mod in that list.
Last edited by Inocudom on Thu May 30, 2013 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Inocudom wrote:When I typed /mods, I did not see your protect mod in that list.
Is there anything about the mod in debug.txt ? also, please try redownloading it if you didn't do already.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

It turns out that with the version of Minetest that I am using, I have to remember to activate mods after I install them. After activating your protect mod, it worked fine.

vktRus

by vktRus » Post

I have «delprotect» privilege. But I can't delete a foreign protection block.
minetest stable version.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

vktRus wrote:I have «delprotect» privilege. But I can't delete a foreign protection block.
minetest stable version.
You need to press sneak (shift) while digging

hdastwb
GitHub: hdastwb
IRC: hdastwb
In-game: hdastwb

by hdastwb » Post

As a note to anyone using protection mods of this sort on servers, it is still possible for hostile players invade buildings by getting on top of their roofs and digging the block under their feet, falling in in the time that it takes for the server to replace the block. Because this is a client-side issue, I foresee absolutely no way to fix this in a mod.

However, I do believe that an effective fix for builders may be to build another layer filled with lava onto the roof of any building one doesn't want infiltrated.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

hdastwb wrote:As a note to anyone using protection mods of this sort on servers, it is still possible for hostile players invade buildings by getting on top of their roofs and digging the block under their feet, falling in in the time that it takes for the server to replace the block. Because this is a client-side issue, I foresee absolutely no way to fix this in a mod.

However, I do believe that an effective fix for builders may be to build another layer filled with lava onto the roof of any building one doesn't want infiltrated.
It's more likely to be server-side, so even people with modified clients wouldn't be able to do it.
but for the moment the anticheat is a bit useless...

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

I love this mod! I use it on my private server with friends.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

hdastwb
GitHub: hdastwb
IRC: hdastwb
In-game: hdastwb

by hdastwb » Post

Zeg9 wrote:
hdastwb wrote:As a note to anyone using protection mods of this sort on servers, it is still possible for hostile players invade buildings by getting on top of their roofs and digging the block under their feet, falling in in the time that it takes for the server to replace the block. Because this is a client-side issue, I foresee absolutely no way to fix this in a mod.

It's more likely to be server-side, so even people with modified clients wouldn't be able to do it.
I could probably have been clearer; the problem is client-side in the sense that it's with the way that Minetest clients work in general. The Minetest client has no concept of protection, so the client assumes that any block is fair game to be dug. The client is also in charge of physics, so when the block is dug the player that was standing on top of it falls through as if they had dug the block, because, as far as the client is concerned, they have. Only after a second or two (or more with appropriate lag), does the server veto the digging action and replace the block that the player dug, but by that time the player is already in the building and can already steal from unlocked chests, dump stuff from buckets, terrorize the residents, and such as they please.

I spend most of my time on Menche's server; there have been reports of people using this exploit to get into the stockroom of a shop and my self-proclaimed neighbor used it extensively to get into mine and bug me while I was trying to set it up. I feel sorry for posting this because I might just be allowing more people to use this exploit, but I think people ought to know so that they can protect their buildings from being infiltrated this way.

In terms of actually fixing the problem, I still can't think of any way to do it short of incorporating some sort of protection feature into the engine itself. Though, since protection is so common and such a necessity on servers, it may well be generally-applicable enough to warrant implementation in the engine.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Anticheat should catch that the player has gone through the node, send the client to get back to where they were before "breaking" that node, and until the client says that it was teleported back, ignore the player's moves and other actions.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

hdastwb wrote:
Zeg9 wrote:

I could probably have been clearer; the problem is client-side in the sense that it's with the way that Minetest clients work in general. The Minetest client has no concept of protection, so the client assumes that any block is fair game to be dug. The client is also in charge of physics, so when the block is dug the player that was standing on top of it falls through as if they had dug the block, because, as far as the client is concerned, they have. Only after a second or two (or more with appropriate lag), does the server veto the digging action and replace the block that the player dug, but by that time the player is already in the building and can already steal from unlocked chests, dump stuff from buckets, terrorize the residents, and such as they please.

I spend most of my time on Menche's server; there have been reports of people using this exploit to get into the stockroom of a shop and my self-proclaimed neighbor used it extensively to get into mine and bug me while I was trying to set it up. I feel sorry for posting this because I might just be allowing more people to use this exploit, but I think people ought to know so that they can protect their buildings from being infiltrated this way.

In terms of actually fixing the problem, I still can't think of any way to do it short of incorporating some sort of protection feature into the engine itself. Though, since protection is so common and such a necessity on servers, it may well be generally-applicable enough to warrant implementation in the engine.
In my landrush protection mod I added features to try to prevent people from using this "feature". If they dig in a protected area they receive damage, and there is also a counter so if they have tried to dig several times in a protected area they are temp banned for 10 minutes, then 20, then 30, then permanently. People used to steal stuff from the furnaces in my shop and the auto crafters in my factory and I think this has cut out a lot of the riff raff. My auto crafters and shop furnaces have not been pillaged in several weeks. I used to have well meaning players break into my shop to find me so they could get my attention, but that hasn't happened in a while either. Serious players learn quickly to pay attention to where they dig. Maybe other protection mods could adopt a similar system. I log on in the morning and I have several chatplus messages telling me the people who were banned while I was sleeping and it is rarely my regulars and rarely escalates beyond the 10 minute temp ban.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

BrandonReese wrote:[snip]

In my landrush protection mod I added features to try to prevent people from using this "feature". If they dig in a protected area they receive damage, and there is also a counter so if they have tried to dig several times in a protected area they are temp banned for 10 minutes, then 20, then 30, then permanently. People used to steal stuff from the furnaces in my shop and the auto crafters in my factory and I think this has cut out a lot of the riff raff. My auto crafters and shop furnaces have not been pillaged in several weeks. I used to have well meaning players break into my shop to find me so they could get my attention, but that hasn't happened in a while either. Serious players learn quickly to pay attention to where they dig. Maybe other protection mods could adopt a similar system. I log on in the morning and I have several chatplus messages telling me the people who were banned while I was sleeping and it is rarely my regulars and rarely escalates beyond the 10 minute temp ban.
I thought about adding this behaviour in this mod; however I feel banning is a bit severe, and hurting is annoying when you don't know that the node you're digging is protected (especially in caves); maybe I'll add it, but it would just hurt on the second try.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Updated: better gui, also you can see the protected area by punching the nodes.
...and screenshots are back !
EDIT: Now uses minetest.find_nodes_in_area, so the mod should be faster.
Last edited by Zeg9 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

keyxmakerx

by keyxmakerx » Post

Hey Zeg, could you make an update to provide more ranges of protection, kinda lke protector plus? But make the build requirments much harder to obtain? Just a thought, BTW Awesome update, I didn't read the changelog and saw purple areas everywhere and it was freaking me out XD

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

keyxmakerx wrote:Hey Zeg, could you make an update to provide more ranges of protection, kinda lke protector plus? But make the build requirments much harder to obtain? Just a thought, BTW Awesome update, I didn't read the changelog and saw purple areas everywhere and it was freaking me out XD
The purple texture will be modified since alpha support in minetest is bad.
And, now that minetest.find_nodes_in_area is used, probably more protection ranges will be possible.
I'll try to implement that the next time I update this mod.
Last edited by Zeg9 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

keyxmakerx

by keyxmakerx » Post

Zeg9 wrote:
keyxmakerx wrote:Hey Zeg, could you make an update to provide more ranges of protection, kinda lke protector plus? But make the build requirments much harder to obtain? Just a thought, BTW Awesome update, I didn't read the changelog and saw purple areas everywhere and it was freaking me out XD
And, now that minetest.find_nodes_in_area is used, probably more protection ranges will be possible.
Zeg9 wrote:

Thank you! ^^ Sorry to bother you with it.