[Mod] More Chests [0.0] [chests_0gb_us]

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:thanks. will you be adding the link to the first post.
At some point, once I get caught up with everything, yes.
jojoa1997 wrote:i get an error saying that Google chrome and internet explorer cant display the webpage. could you make a zip from omploader.
Internet Explorer has issues, so I wouldn't bat an eye at that, but I'm not sure why Chrome can't find it. Perhaps you hit the server at a bad time. The server shuts down for fifty minutes each day. I just checked though, and the link is working right now.

I will not be using Omploader, but I plan to migrate my stuff to Github when I have time, which I think will cover what you want from Omploader.
lord_james wrote:
0gb.us wrote:You know what? I think it is possible. Entities CAN have inventories. I don't know how to make one follow you though. I haven't done much with entities. I've only made one, which was static, and I didn't even completely make it on my own. Zeg9 made part of it.
So... It's just a theory. It's possible create a node that place a entity like a chest and this chest is animated when you see in the inventory, isn't it?
No, I wouldn't say it is just a theory. All the pieces are there, they just haven't been put together. We have cubic entities, entities with inventories, and entities that follow you. This is 100% doable, without a doubt. I probably don't have the skill to do it, but it CAN be done.

What do you mean by "animated when you see it in the inventory? I don't think things in your inventory can animate.

lord_james

by lord_james » Post

I'm sorry, I tried to say that the entity's model do an animation (for example a opening a chest or whatever)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

lord_james wrote:I'm sorry, I tried to say that the entity's model do an animation (for example a opening a chest or whatever)
I think it could be done, especially with the unstabe version's API, which includes an on_rightclick option (I may have the name wrong). But I'm more into functionality than ascetics, so I'm not going to try my hand at this. I'm still not even convinced 3D players were worth the trouble to code! I mean, it's not like they bother me or anything, they just don't seem to be good for anything. The same applies to animated chest lids.
PilzAdam wrote:
Josh wrote:
cornernote wrote:PilzAdam, bet you can't make an animated opening chest. ;)
I wonder if he is up for the challenge?
As I said: convince me that this is useful.
As PilzAdam said, you'd need to convince someone that they would somehow be useful before you can get them to build it.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

i can help you with entities chasing people. though not with following a specific person
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:i can help you with entities chasing people. though not with following a specific person
You missed my post about this, jojoa1997 ;)
All you need to do is to set an additional property inside every chest to mark it's owner.
Then instead of cycling through all of the players you should get player by name and follow him.

As for 3d players - there is one big plus: we can see now if someone is digging or not. Sometimes that helps a lot to know who has dug the block beneath you without asking admins about that.
Animated lids... well, that just adds "prettiness" and the whole game looks more professional to many peoples, especially non developers.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

4aiman wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:i can help you with entities chasing people. though not with following a specific person
You missed my post about this, jojoa1997 ;)
All you need to do is to set an additional property inside every chest to mark it's owner.
Then instead of cycling through all of the players you should get player by name and follow him.

As for 3d players - there is one big plus: we can see now if someone is digging or not. Sometimes that helps a lot to know who has dug the block beneath you without asking admins about that.
Animated lids... well, that just adds "prettiness" and the whole game looks more professional to many peoples, especially non developers.
ok but i still dont know what property make
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Look into the boats mod or my prototype of 3d armor ;)

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

An animated opening chest only costs FPS for no gain.

Seeing as minetest already runs at 20fps or so, what's the point?
Meow.

That is all.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

GloopMaster wrote:An animated opening chest only costs FPS for no gain.

As always that should be configurable.
Besides it's natural that more advanced graphics demands more powerful PC. Do not need=play as it is, DO need = enable and enjoy useless, but nice effects.
As an old consoles geek I'd say that graphics aren't that important, but nice graphics make already awesome game prettier. This matters when spoiled by HD graphics user refuses to play a good game "just because there are no animations". Yep, it's them who suffer by not giving that kind of a game any chance, not we. But if animated things would bring more contributors or payers - then animation definitely should be implemented.

lord_james

by lord_james » Post

0gb.us wrote:
lord_james wrote:I'm sorry, I tried to say that the entity's model do an animation (for example a opening a chest or whatever)
I think it could be done, especially with the unstabe version's API, which includes an on_rightclick option (I may have the name wrong). But I'm more into functionality than ascetics, so I'm not going to try my hand at this. I'm still not even convinced 3D players were worth the trouble to code! I mean, it's not like they bother me or anything, they just don't seem to be good for anything. The same applies to animated chest lids.
PilzAdam wrote:
Josh wrote:
I wonder if he is up for the challenge?
As I said: convince me that this is useful.
As PilzAdam said, you'd need to convince someone that they would somehow be useful before you can get them to build it.

Well... It's only a suggestion (brainstorming), so... "don't worry, be happy" ;) I think that it's a gameplay feature: the opened chest warns to other players if a player is searching in the chest. It's possible find another way to add this feature, and more FPS friendly, but I like it. In the another hand, it's a step for anothers coders for using it in another way.

I'll tell you a secret: I love 2d players (like infiniminers) because look like more "vintage" or "retro" than 3d players, but I hope improvements for both features because I also like variety ;)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

lord_james wrote:I think that it's a gameplay feature: the opened chest warns to other players if a player is searching in the chest. It's possible find another way to add this feature, and more FPS friendly, but I like it.
instead of an animation either make a second texture or make the chest become 2 blocks and have the top one be an open lid
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

Not everywhere. On my laptop it runs at 60 and on my netbook it runs at 10-15.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

babyface1031

by babyface1031 » Post

i think a shared wifi chest would be neat so if you forget something while you are in your mine someone could put the stuff in for you so you dont have to go all the way back home to get it

kbobdc3

by kbobdc3 » Post

0gb.us wrote:
Okay. I'll try to understand your message, but I need help. You said that mese and hard physically hard stuff should be used to make the chest. Why is that? What does physically hard stuff have to do with the chest? You said hard to BREAK, not hard to ACQUIRE. Okay, I'll talk to Rarkenin about the recipe, and maybe change it. The problem is that everything in the default game is common, aside from poptart cats and rainbows, which are TOO rare for this.

POPTART CATS AND RAINBOWS!!!
Last edited by kbobdc3 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not stupid, I'm weak minded

bentleysb

by bentleysb » Post

I tried to download this mod yesterday but the 0gb.us site was down. I tried again later and today but it was still down. Just wanted to let you know and I can't wait for it to be back up.

Willabee

by Willabee » Post

First Matter of Mention: The download link is (quite sadly) broken. Could that be fixed?
Second Matter of Mention, a suggestion or possibility inquiry:
Would it be possible to create wifi chests to which you can assign specific names?
For example: You place the box and then get a text input screen to name it. The name you give it makes a new remote inventory. Then, any box by that same name (in that world) is connected. That way, one could make different boxes for different uses and connect each box of the same use to one another.
(to be redundant)
That way I can have 5 boxes for the thousands of stone blocks I mine and then a few separate boxes for the gems, ores etc, and have all of those down in the mine and still connected with my home on the surface.

But beyond and aside... a download fix would be greatly appreciated regardless :) And this looks like a great mod!

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Willabee wrote:But beyond and aside... a download fix would be greatly appreciated regardless :) And this looks like a great mod!
This is probably the latest version of 0gb_us' version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... -2013).zip

No changes made by me.

Willabee

by Willabee » Post

Topywo wrote:
Willabee wrote:But beyond and aside... a download fix would be greatly appreciated regardless :) And this looks like a great mod!
This is probably the latest version of 0gb_us' version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... -2013).zip

No changes made by me.
Thank you!!! :)

ak399g
In-game: SAFR

by ak399g » Post

How would one go about making something like a secret chest, but instead of (or in addition to) "open/close", there would be a "visible/invisible" option which replaces the texture with invisible.png? Probably call it "invisi-chest" or something.
Last edited by ak399g on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
aka SAFR

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

ak399g wrote:How would one go about making something like a secret chest, but instead of (or in addition to) "open/close", there would be a "visible/invisible" option which replaces the texture with invisible.png? Probably call it "invisi-chest" or something.
You can't replace the texture of a node currently. What you would need to do is create a new node that is invisible and when you want the chest to go invisible you would need to swap the chest node for the invisible node and make sure to swap all of the metadata as well. I think that might be the easiest method for what you are looking for.

rommiekerova
In-game: Andromeda

by rommiekerova » Post

I'm getting a 404 not found error on the link. I really need the wifi chests for my world.
Please fix the link soon. ^_^
My Mods: Kerova - viewtopic.php?id=8054
My Server: Kalisae - viewtopic.php?id=9040 <--CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Here is the last copy I have of the More Chests, I don't know if 0gb is around any more. His last post was in November.
Attachments
chests_0gb_us (24-01-2013).zip
(11.76 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Last edited by LionsDen on Tue Jan 07, 2014 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

rommiekerova

by rommiekerova » Post

LionsDen wrote:Here is the last copy I have of the More Chests, I don't know if 0gb is around any more. His last post was in November.
Awesome! Thanks very much! ^_^

luk3yx
GitHub: luk3yx
IRC: luk3yx
In-game: luk3yx

by luk3yx » Post

LionsDen wrote:Here is the last copy I have of the More Chests, I don't know if 0gb is around any more. His last post was in November.
I was wondering why the download link did not work...
Thank you for the download
git_undo() { [ -e .git ] || return 1; local r=$(git remote get-url origin); cd ..; rm -rf "$OLDPWD"; git clone "$r" "$OLDPWD"; cd "$OLDPWD"; }

rommiekerova

by rommiekerova » Post

I personally disabled the secret chest and the cobble chest as I have no use for them and kept the dropbox, wifi and shared chests.

In case you are wondering, you can delete the lua of the chests you don't want and remove that line in the init lua. :D