GitHub: hildigerr

[MOD] Fishing! [v0.2][fishing]

by wulfsdad » Post

Includes:
a fish (can be cooked or eaten raw),
fishing poles,
worm (bait),
sushi

To get worms for bait you must dig in dirt (without grass) by hand. There is a default 30% chance that you will find one. This can be configured in init.lua, as well as the chance of catching a fish. Or, you can use "/giveme fishing:bait_worm".

To catch a fish, use a baited fishing pole on a water node.

Depends:
To craft a fishing pole: (or you can use "/giveme fishing:pole")
ropes or moreblocks or farming
I suggest using my modified version of ropes. Get it here.
This also modifies moreblocks:rope to be used as ropes:rope -- which is really handy.
To craft sushi: (or you can use "/giveme fishing:sushi")
plantlife

Download:
[v0.1] *removed broken link*
[v02]

Recipes:

Code:WTFPL
Textures:
<http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/wolfhound/>

TODO:
item wear,
automatic re-baiting option,
different types of fish/sushi,
sounds,
nets and traps
Last edited by wulfsdad on Sat Mar 02, 2019 19:37, edited 3 times in total.

LorenzoVulcan
GitHub: aegroto

by LorenzoVulcan » Post

+1
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 290#p54290

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Post

Ropes with my Code Modification: download. But, with original texture--not the one shown in screenshot above.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

+1
If only we could see a string...

edit:

Code: Select all

01:27:32: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ...ames/minimal (copy)/mods/addin_mods/fishing/init.lua:54: bad argument #1 to 'get_node' (table expected, got nil)
:'(
Last edited by 4aiman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Post

4aiman wrote:

01:27:32: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ...ames/minimal (copy)/mods/addin_mods/fishing/init.lua:54: bad argument #1 to 'get_node' (table expected, got nil)
:'(
I'll try to reproduce the error and find a solution. What did you do before getting that error?

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Got a rod, got 99 worms, crafted rod with worm and pressed right mouse button on a water block.
Ropes wasnt sufficient so I have both them and moreblocks. Could that be the reason?

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Post

4aiman wrote:Got a rod, got 99 worms, crafted rod with worm and pressed right mouse button on a water block.
Ropes wasnt sufficient so I have both them and moreblocks. Could that be the reason?
No, I have both ropes and moreblocks installed, so that's not the problem. When I right-clicked, I threw the rod into the water. But I did reproduce the error message by left-clicking in the air. I think the problem is when the on_use() function is passed nil for it's pointed_thing parameter. ... Ok, I think I solved the problem by modifying the baited pole's on_use function to:

on_use = function (itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
        if pointed_thing and pointed_thing.under then
            local node = minetest.env:get_node(pointed_thing.under)
            if string.find(node.name, "default:water") then
                if math.random(1, 100) < FISH_CHANCE then
                    local inv = user:get_inventory()
                    if inv:room_for_item("main", {name="fishing:fish_raw", count=1, wear=0, metadata=""}) then
                        inv:add_item("main", {name="fishing:fish_raw", count=1, wear=0, metadata=""})
                    end
                end
                return {name="fishing:pole", count=1, wear=0, metadata=""}
            end
        end
        return nil
    end,
I'll replace v0.1 in a moment, but you can just copy and paste this instead of downloading it again, if you wish.

---------------------------
I posted a video of the fishing mod in action on YouTube.

EDIT: Upload of bug-fix complete.
Last edited by wulfsdad on Tue Jan 08, 2013 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Now it's "Ok".
+1 more ;)

Is it possible to not have to "point" at the water node? I mean It would be nice to have a... bobber (or a "float"? I don't know an English equivalent to "поплавок"... Google isn't helping at all too.)
Player can "throw" that using scheme from "throwing" mod and if that lands in water then he need to wait some random time before the bobber goes underwater and then he must pull (rightclick).
If you're up to it I can provide some more details ;)

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Post

4aiman wrote: Is it possible to not have to "point" at the water node? I mean It would be nice to have a... bobber (or a "float"? I don't know an English equivalent to "поплавок"... Google isn't helping at all too.)
Player can "throw" that using scheme from "throwing" mod and if that lands in water then he need to wait some random time before the bobber goes underwater and then he must pull (rightclick).
If you're up to it I can provide some more details ;)
Thanks for helping me find that bug!

Yeah, I think that would be possible. But, It would take me a while to code and I wanted to avoid the necessity of waiting while fishing. If I include it it will be optional so that you can change the way it works back and forth easily.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Awesome! Just epic, been wondering if a fishing rod would be possible. +1 :D

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

maybe if your bobber hits land you could pull yourself there like using the middle button or right-click
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:maybe if your bobber hits land you could pull yourself there like using the middle button or right-click
Nah, that sounds too much like a grappling hook. Speaking of which, someone might be willing to build a Minetest grappling hook. It probably wouldn't be good for servers, but it might be interesting in single player mode.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Grappling hook you say?.. That reminds me of the Batman 8)
If I remember correctly we can bind entities together since not so long ago... I'll be back soon enough ;)

PS: configurable = awesome!
Last edited by 4aiman on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Post

4aiman wrote: PS: configurable = awesome!
I agree. Customization is a cornerstone of good software, that's why I love this game and why I use Linux.

I'm about to upload a new version with some small fixes. I forgot to check if other mods were installed before using them so they effectively become dependencies. I fixed that. I also added support for farming mod's strings. Two strings and two sticks will make a fishing pole. I'm just going to double check everything and then upload it. I'll edit this post when its done.

[EDIT:]
Ok v0.2 is up; I also added to ropes to be able to craft them from farming strings. But, I'll upload that some other time... I got lots of homework to do.
Last edited by wulfsdad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

batami

by batami » Post

Not work for me . Help

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Post

batami wrote:Not work for me . Help
What went wrong?

----------------
I just uploaded the new modified ropes and added a link to the original post.
Last edited by wulfsdad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Help! Rainworms keep to fill up my inventory. Can you make it so that they will disappear when placed on dirt_with_grass or dirt? Living worms ought to try to dig themshelves back in :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Post

Sokomine wrote:Help! Rainworms keep to fill up my inventory. Can you make it so that they will disappear when placed on dirt_with_grass or dirt? Living worms ought to try to dig themshelves back in :-)
Ok, That's a good idea. You can also /destroy them. I'll add that after I finish my homework.

ray8888

by ray8888 » Post

this is cool now i want to test it +1
fuck off

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Like it!

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Any progress on the rainworms? Also, it might be nice if fishing took a while, although I don't know how that could be accomplished in a convincing way :-( Maybe "plant" the fishing rod at the shore and make it change color/give it an animated texture once a fish got cought?
A list of my mods can be found here.

ndjdjksisksk

by ndjdjksisksk » Post

this mod will not run! i tried it and it said that there was an error and it will not let me play the game until i take the mod off. please help.
nvm about me leaving minetest but i probably will for a while because i have nothing to do in this comunity becaise i can't make a server. my username is going to change i will make a new acount called stormchaser3000

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Post the exact text of the error message.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

ndjdjksisksk

by ndjdjksisksk » Post

VanessaE wrote:Post the exact text of the error message.
how do i do that in a windows 8 cmd command line prompt? i can't copy and past i have tried that.
nvm about me leaving minetest but i probably will for a while because i have nothing to do in this comunity becaise i can't make a server. my username is going to change i will make a new acount called stormchaser3000

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

ndjdjksisksk wrote:
VanessaE wrote:Post the exact text of the error message.
how do i do that in a windows 8 cmd command line prompt? i can't copy and past i have tried that.
You can copy it from .../bin/debug.txt

Noob 4 life!
My stuff