[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

nextmissinglink

by nextmissinglink » Post

errrrrm is there a way to not generate by themselves so you have to plant a sapling
IF in doubt hit it with a hammer
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply id10t ERROR
do not abuse me i am 11 and i like hitting things with a hammer that may include you
this is ment to be secret http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 467#p86467

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

nextmissinglink wrote:errrrrm is there a way to not generate by themselves so you have to plant a sapling
Without initial trees, where do you plan to get the saplings?

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

I found another problem (sorry): Planting beech saplings doesn't give trees. The saplings stay around for a little bit and then disappear. My gut says it's related to the code that replaces default trees but I don't really know.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Fixed in git. Since there's apparently no way to disable default trees and replace them with beeches in a graceful, one-file manner, I removed all of the code that replaces the default trees and relegated beeches to just another tree you can enable if you want (it is disabled by default now). If you want them, enable them in settings.lua and turn off default trees in yourworld/map_meta.txt.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Made settings world-specific - look for moretrees_settings.txt in your world folder. If it isn't found, the mod will create it with the contents of default_settings.txt and then read those default settings and use them. Otherwise, it will read its settings from the world folder.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Made settings world-specific - look for moretrees_settings.txt in your world folder. If it isn't found, the mod will create it with the contents of default_settings.txt and then read those default settings and use them. Otherwise, it will read its settings from the world folder.
I tried to use the new master version but at least some of my old wood objects are showing as unknown now (sequoia upper half-slab) so I went back to the experimental version you posted a few days ago. At least it works, even though it forces me to choose between default and beech. For the other trees, I can give on the beech. Sorry to be such a pain but I appreciate your time and effort.

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

I have a bug: sometimes in a whole block or two, there are no leaves, and sometimes no trunk too.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Jouster: Although I hadn't made any changes to the newstuff branch (which is where the stairsplus code is) that should affect your usage of it, I've gone ahead and merged the master branch into it anyway to get those latest default trees fixes into it and just to keep the two in sync. Stay on the newstuff branch if you want stairs/slabs.

Nore: That's one of two bugs - either the map generator not filling a block properly (this happens on my server too), or the renderer engine in the client not displaying them properly along with an "out of indicies" message (which happens on my client occasionally also). These aren't bugs in moretrees so I can't fix them, but I do know that the problems in the engine and client that are responsible for those bugs are being looked into with intent to fix.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Ok, so I've got stacks of fir and spruce cones... I can't figure-out what to do with them. Are these supposed to be ornimental, produce saplings or can they be used in crafting somehow. I'd appreciate any direction you can give me.

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post... I searched but couldn't find anything specifically for this mod.

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

Jouster27 wrote:Ok, so I've got stacks of fir and spruce cones... I can't figure-out what to do with them. Are these supposed to be ornimental, produce saplings or can they be used in crafting somehow. I'd appreciate any direction you can give me.

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post... I searched but couldn't find anything specifically for this mod.
There are no use for them yet.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

RealBadAngel wrote:There are no use for them yet.
Thanks, Angel. Ok then, I've got a request: how about we put the cones in the top-slot of the furnace and burn (cook) them to produce seeds. Then we can take the seeds and plant them to get saplings.

Alternatively, we could use the cones for fuel. I'd expect them to be midway between wood and grass.

Really, though, I'd like to see some sort of crafting with the pinecones. Dunno what, though.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Better to just craft the cones to get the seeds directly, if one were to add such a feature, but if you're harvesting a tree, you don't really need seeds - you already get a few saplings from each one.

Instead, I plan to eventually add food items crafted from cooked cones + other ingredients maybe, and to turn coconut into a food also.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Better to just craft the cones to get the seeds directly, if one were to add such a feature, but if you're harvesting a tree, you don't really need seeds - you already get a few saplings from each one.
I can dig it (sorry, I couldn't resist). Seriously, though, I do seem to remember some types of cones that fire helps to release the nuts inside so that's where the idea came from.
VanessaE wrote:Instead, I plan to eventually add food items crafted from cooked cones + other ingredients maybe, and to turn coconut into a food also.
YES! Something useful for the cones. Thank you. I also really like the idea of being able to eat the coconuts. If you're going to do that, you might consider having it yield two products: copra and milk. It also has other uses as well. If you'd like some inspiration, you might check-out the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That's a good idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update 2013-04-17: Master branch: Got rid of horizontal jungle tree trunk, aliased it to the one in the moreblocks mod. Got rid of jungle tree planks recipe, default already has it. But that's not the important part...

Acorns, fir/spruce/pine cones, and coconuts are now edible!

Fir/spruce/pine cones can be cooked to extract fir/spruce/pine nuts. One cone yields 4 portions of nuts, each of which heals 1/2 heart.

Coconuts can be broken apart to get milk and raw coconut solids (e.g. the "meat"). Craft one coconut, one drinking glass, and one cutting tool (*see below). Yields one portion of coconut solids, one glass full of coconut milk, and the tool is returned. The coconut milk heals 1 heart and returns the empty glass, while one portion of coconut solids heals two hearts.

Coconut milk can be crafted with four acorns to produce acorn muffin batter. One portion of this batter can be cooked into four acorn muffins. Each muffin restores two hearts.

Enjoy :-)

-----
* Since Minetest doesn't have any default cutting tools that would normally be suitable for this purpose, the following tools may be used instead to cut the coconuts open:

Default bronze, diamond, Mese, or steel axe,
...or... glooptest Alatro or Arol axe,
...or... moreores Mithril or silver axe,
...or... titanium axe.

(note that stone and wooden axes are deliberately not usable)

Newstuff branch: no changes since the initial commits.
Last edited by VanessaE on Thu Apr 18, 2013 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Righteous! Thank you, Vanessa.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Sorry, the recent changes make it so that the Moretrees mod doesn't work with the circular saw again. I've got items such as moretrees:panel_sequoia_planks_top showing-up as unknown now.

[sniff] I was really looking forward to this one... Oh well, good thing I didn't empty my trash yet.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Jouster27 wrote:Sorry, the recent changes make it so that the Moretrees mod doesn't work with the circular saw again. I've got items such as moretrees:panel_sequoia_planks_top showing-up as unknown now.

[sniff] I was really looking forward to this one... Oh well, good thing I didn't empty my trash yet.
WHOOOO!!! Had a scare there. Apparently, PCManFM 0.9.10 doesn't restore from trash correctly and I thought I had lost the old version. I lost the version I had but was able to find an earlier version but then I discovered Github allows you to browse previous versions of the code. FANTASTIC! I can't imagine why any modders wouldn't use Github. Nice to know I've got a safety-net for the future.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Strange, I didn't make any changes at all to the newstuff branch, which is where the stairs/slabs stuff is.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally uninstall Calinou's More Blocks mod?

Or maybe you accidentally switched to the master branch in More Trees?

Both More Blocks and the More Trees' newstuff branch are needed together or those stairs/slabs will become unknown.

Otherwise, if something is glitching out with stairs/slabs, the only thing I can think of is that it must be in the Circular Saw code included in More Blocks. :-)

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Strange, I didn't make any changes at all to the newstuff branch, which is where the stairs/slabs stuff is.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally uninstall Calinou's More Blocks mod?

Or maybe you accidentally switched to the master branch in More Trees?

Both More Blocks and the More Trees' newstuff branch are needed together or those stairs/slabs will become unknown.
Um... DOH!!! I forgot the stairs stuff was newstuff branch. Yeah, I did switch to the master branch. So now it's a choice between being able to use moretrees with moreblocks or getting the new stuff in moretrees... Got it.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Not anymore :-)

I just merged those changes in master into the newstuff branch and pushed to git (so master still lacks stairs/slabs of course, but newstuff has everything).

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Not anymore :-)

I just merged those changes in master into the newstuff branch and pushed to git (so master still lacks stairs/slabs of course, but newstuff has everything).
Muh ha hahahahaha!!!! Erm, I mean, "It works great, Vanessa. Thank you!" ***GRIN***

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Do the jungle trees have an increased chance of appearing in the jungle biomes (maybe palm trees and a couple of other suitable trees as well?)

The node limit of Minetest should probably be doubled if that is possible. That would allow for more mods in a world without issues.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually, I think they do grow in the same areas as default jungle trees, as I did configure them to grow where junglegrass does, but only near water. I'm not sure what the biome controls are like for default jungle trees.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

I have noticed one oddity: beech trees drop saplings the old way, when leaves decay but all of the other trees seem to give saplings when you dig the leaves. It's not a serious problem but I'd kinda prefer it if the saplings were consistent. I'm not really picky which method is used, I'd just like it to be the same for all trees. One thing I like about about the dig-leaves method is that you don't have to cut-down an entire tree (think sequoias here) just to get saplings.

I've got one issue, though, that confuses me. I've got a cocoa tree sapling that just plain refuses to grow. I don't know why, if it's a bug in the engine or mod, if it's location or what the cause might be. Do you have any advice?